• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

Xater

Man I thought this remake is cool and all but 20,99€ is a bit much for something I technically have already played. At 15€ I would not have even thought about it twice.

... The second is that the default audio mix is such that it's really hard to hear Abe's dialogue. I ratcheted the sound effects to 25% and the music to 50%, with voice at 100%, which helps a lot but I don't think the average user is going to do that and I hate the idea of people not getting to hear his story.

I had the same experience with the audio. I only played a few minutes before heading to bed last night, but I'll have to change the levels in-game too.

Man I thought this remake is cool and all but 20,99€ is a bit much for something I technically have already played. At 15€ I would not have even thought about it twice.

So 5 pounds is a breaking limit?

And I'd agree with you somewhat on the "already played" part, but it's been redone with new graphics, altered puzzles (with difficulty modes that change up how much and how little in regards to dangers and speed of insta-death traps), and other fun things. If you are a fan of the series, there's good reason to visit Abe's world again.

icespide

Banned
GoldenHelmet, just a heads up as I was playing in Paramonia last night

the first time you have to give a native Mudokona a password to have him lower the elevator, I ran into an issue where when both Elum and I were on the elevator, as I went up Elum would get stuck on geometry and then fall to his death =(

I ended up having to make sure he was more to the left of me than to the right of me and it worked fine.

SDCowboy

I've gotta say, as much as I'm enjoying this game, I personally find the controls to be kind of sloppy and unresponsive.

Stuart444

Still can't find the final 8 Mudokons in the first level. This secret area must be really hidden :(

Anyone have any ideas?

Hidden areas I've gone to already:

Trapdoor at the start
Trapdoor under the bombs/mines
door near the end of the level that the slig is sleeping at
Another trap door that I forget exactly where
The area where you can jump down after pulling a lever (not the one in the picture I posted on the last page but just before that one)

Any ideas which I'm missing? So close to having all 70 rescued in the first level.

Edit Never mind: I found it, it was in a
area where you can jump down after pulling a leverlocated up the elevator before the other lever area I mentioned above

All 70 saved

GoldenHelmet, just a heads up as I was playing in Paramonia last night

the first time you have to give a native Mudokona a password to have him lower the elevator, I ran into an issue where when both Elum and I were on the elevator, as I went up Elum would get stuck on geometry and then fall to his death =(

I ended up having to make sure he was more to the left of me than to the right of me and it worked fine.

I've literally just passed a link to your post to our QA folks, will let you know what they say/find.

Cheers

Stewart

icespide

Banned
I've literally just passed a link to your post to our QA folks, will let you know what they say/find.

Cheers

Stewart

awesome! I don't think I've actually said it in the thread yet but I am absolutely loving the game. Oddworld is one of my earlier video game memories and to see it treated with so much love and passion just really makes me happy. I can't wait to see Exoddus re-done like this.

GoldenHelmet (CEO of JAW) explained it a thousand times already but this is not simply a HD port or something, it is a reimagining with new artwork, newly made environments, new puzzles in the spirit of the old game. They were planning to release it at 30 euros, but they still cut a big chunk out of the prize.

If you think you're overpaying, that's a valid opinion but the money goes towards the development of a new Oddworld game. Whether it is an HD Reimagining of Exoddus or a completely new entry in the series, that's up for the fans to decide.

You technically haven't played it already since so much is tweaked, redone and updated. I fired up the original Oddysee yesterday, the new 'n' tast captures the spirit of it but has been put so much work into it.

Gekidami

Banned
Awesome game, like revisiting an old friend, played up to the temple. Though as i expected, i'm having issues with run on the analogue, mostly around bombs & mines; i keep running into them, forced to sneak to edge up the the right place to do decent jumps.

Also jumping takes some getting used to. You have to press X then a direction to jump without Abe taking a few steps forward first. I cant remember what it was like in the original, but i'm pretty sure pressing jump always had Abe jump forward unless you were pressing up. Its been years since i played the original Oddysee & Exoddus but i'm getting the impression i keep trying to use the exact controls from the old games, i keep pressing up to enter door ways, was it up in the original games?

Seems they're burned into my memory.

Anyway, awesome work. I already want Exoddus: Cool & Refreshing, or whatever it'll be called.

Back in the day the original game was a full price release. Saying you've already played the game is unfair, the only thing you already know is the plot. They're remade EVERYTHING with all of the work & effort that entails. 20€ for about 10hours really isnt that bad.

AllenShrz

After spending more time with the game.....It is so pretty, all the backgrounds are amazing, several times I have stopped to look at the details, It has made me smile several times with the witty humor, I'm loving it.

I'm double dipping for the PC to play it at 60fps, pity it was not 60fps from the start.

Liamario

Banned
Played the first puzzle. Game plays fine, at least as far as I've gotten (which isn't very far) the game is certainly not a solid 60fps. I would hazard a guess at 50-60fps.

Kyolux

Really want to get this right now. But I'm so immersed into FFXIV right now and with Last of US coming out next week (will be my first time playing it) I'm not sure if the timing is right. I'm afraid that if I buy it now it'll fall aside.

On the other hand, since this is helping toward a possible Exodus remake, which is the Oddworld game I'm most familiar with, I might just go ahead and put the cash on it.

Danlord

Really want to get this right now. But I'm so immersed into FFXIV right now and with Last of US coming out next week (will be my first time playing it) I'm not sure if the timing is right. I'm afraid that if I buy it now it'll fall aside.

On the other hand, since this is helping toward a possible Exodus remake, which is the Oddworld game I'm most familiar with, I might just go ahead and put the cash on it.

giphy.gif

EDIT: Or listen to this

AllenShrz

Better picking it up now, you will get the dlc and is not super long. You could beat it in let's say... just one "standard" sitting of FFXIV.

Danlord

FYI...

Day 1 patch is now out for SCEE customers.

Thanks Stewart, just downloaded now, will play properly tonight. Just attempted the first immediate secret room, requires some getting used to. LOVE the humour of the Modokons though, the little chit-chat; so good!

The patch is 55MB for anyone wondering, by the way.

mattp

honest question for stewart:

what are the realistic chances of a new control scheme being added that's based around d-pad movement and has a run button. like the old games

just curious. because i would love to have that as an option. i'm gonna play/love the game regardless, but i really would prefer that

honest question for stewart:

what are the realistic chances of a new control scheme being added that's based around d-pad movement and has a run button. like the old games

just curious. because i would love to have that as an option. i'm gonna play/love the game regardless, but i really would prefer that

My honest answer right now is I don't know...

I'll talk to the team and get back to you, but give me a couple of days or so.

Stuart444

FYI...

Day 1 patch is now out for SCEE customers.

Info - http://www.oddworld.com/2014/07/patch-released-oddworld-new-n-tasty/

Lovely, I just stopped playing for today (getting too tired now, will just make it troublesome with some of the platforming puzzles if I keep playing it now :/) so I guess I'll get the patch tomorrow.

I love the game though, it's very fun.

I'm on the 3rd level now, I thought I had all the Mudokons in the Stockyards... when I stopped and went to the chapter select screen (just to check), it said I had 63%... made me sad :(.

Also the rescue all Mudokons in under 3 hours trophy sounds insane. It took me several hours just to get to where I am now.

Rflagg

Lovely, I just stopped playing for today (getting too tired now, will just make it troublesome with some of the platforming puzzles if I keep playing it now :/) so I guess I'll get the patch tomorrow.

I love the game though, it's very fun.

I'm on the 3rd level now, I thought I had all the Mudokons in the Stockyards... when I stopped and went to the chapter select screen (just to check), it said I had 63%... made me sad :(.

Also the rescue all Mudokons in under 3 hours trophy sounds insane. It took me several hours just to get to where I am now.

Yeah pretty much the same thing happened to me, I am in the middle of replaying the stockyard and have found some groups I can't believe I missed. I don't think I will ever get the platinum, because of the timed trophy although I might give it a try after I finish my save all run.

Hey guys,
Are you playing the SCEA or SCEE version?

Also, do you have the SCEA Day 1 patch installed?

My project manager tells me this was an issue that was being addressed in the Day 1 patch.

Cheers

Stewart

Ahem, we found an issue this morning and fixed it... I think we'll look to do a new patch next week.. FQA dependent.

I was playing the SCEA version with the patch but I saw y'all already fixed it! It happened at a good time though cause I really needed to take a break!

mattp

My honest answer right now is I don't know...

I'll talk to the team and get back to you, but give me a couple of days or so.

awesome!
i'm gonna guess i'm in the minority on this, so who knows if it's worth the money/time to implement. but i hope it is!

thejpfin

Man, it would be amazing to play this game with a d-pad movement.
I like to play my 2D games with d-pad. I like this game a lot, but it feels slightly uncomfortable to play this game with analog sticks.

Also d-pad movement would be better for the Vita version, because vitas analog stick is kinda sloppy imo.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm tempted but £18? I don't know.
Funny enough I'd pay it if it was physical disc, digital seem a bit much.

I'm tempted but £18? I don't know.
Funny enough I'd pay it if it was physical disc, digital seem a bit much.

So would you have paid £29.99+ for a physical? knowing that we as a developer would get around 1/4 of the revenue, compared to that of a digital only at £17.99...

:)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So would you have paid £29.99+ for a physical? knowing that we as a developer would get around 1/4 of the revenue, compared to that of a digital only at £17.99...

:)
I just really don't like digital stuff over £10 really, Would prefer physical
perhaps a double pack in the future maybe if you choose to do Exoddus? anyway you have my support, I've bought it :)
qLsMcpX.jpg

My one issue with the controls is jumping forward. If you're too close to an edge or a bomb it's nearly impossible to simply jump forward.

I think the default jump button (x in this case) should make Abe jump forward the standard distance, while up should jump straight up. I don't see the point of jumping straight up with x when I can use up (why have a redundancy with such a simple mechanic?), and using x to jump forward a few steps while standing still would be quite helpful

Stuart444

Jim Sterling
@JimSterling
Been told the devs of New n' Tasty get mad when someone calls it a remake. I did that a lot. But the review was 5/5. I await the paradox!

Saw that on twitter, is that true? Why would you get mad at the game being called a remake when it is just that, a remake (and a proper one, not an HD Remaster that everyone mistakenly calls 'remake' lol)

mattp

Saw that on twitter, is that true? Why would you get mad at the game being called a remake when it is just that, a remake (and a proper one, not an HD Remaster that everyone mistakenly calls 'remake' lol)

i think the issue is the way people use the term remake nowadays
all these hd "remasters" are called remakes, so when you just call new n tasty a remake, you're kind of lumping it in with all these other games that are not actually remakes. it sucks for oddworld, because what they've done is SO much more
this is basically the resident evil remake of oddworld. but most people will hear remake and think its just some silly hd port

Stuart444

all these hd "remasters" are called remakes, so when you just call new n tasty a remake, you're kind of lumping it in with all these other games that are not actually remakes. it sucks for oddworld, because what they've done is SO much more
this is basically the resident evil remake of oddworld. but most people will hear remake and think its just some silly hd port

I do my best to correct people when they call "Remasters" remakes. :/

KH1.5, MGSHD, Splinter Cell Collection, SotC/Ico Collection, those are remasters

This and REMake are Remakes, and darn good ones as well.

I just really don't like digital stuff over £10 really, Would prefer physical
perhaps a double pack in the future maybe if you choose to do Exoddus? anyway you have my support, I've bought it :)
qLsMcpX.jpg

Awwwww that's a beautiful thing :)

*hugs*

Thank you.

My one issue with the controls is jumping forward. If you're too close to an edge or a bomb it's nearly impossible to simply jump forward.

I think the default jump button (x in this case) should make Abe jump forward the standard distance, while up should jump straight up. I don't see the point of jumping straight up with x when I can use up (why have a redundancy with such a simple mechanic?), and using x to jump forward a few steps while standing still would be quite helpful

Actually... There's a simple trick..

When you press X Abe starts to crouch for the jump, if you press the direction you're facing/jumping just before he completes the mini-crouch move, he will hop in that direction.

It takes a few minutes to get used to it, but once you do, sorted!

I hated the switch from X = Hop forward, to X = Jump up at first. but now I'm used to it :)

Personally I like "remake" I don't like "HD remake" or "HD anything" for that matter, as it's NOT.

All games on consoles today with HDMI cables *ARE* by definition "HD" so it's a moot point...

We ARE a remake, just not an HD remake, as that kind implies what we did with "Stranger's Wrath HD" which was the original game, ported and uprezzed etc to 720p/1080p on PC.

NnT is 100% remake, EVERYTHING has been re-created.

Loomba

Hey Stewart, can you guys change the title of the game in the "Whats New" section for the US version... It's "ONNT PS4 SCEA" at the moment.

However the EU version is "Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty" which is much better.

It's ok if it's now out of your hands (love the game!)

mattp

Personally I like "remake" I don't like "HD remake" or "HD anything" for that matter, as it's NOT.

All games on consoles today with HDMI cables *ARE* by definition "HD" so it's a moot point...

We ARE a remake, just not an HD remake, as that kind implies what we did with "Stranger's Wrath HD" which was the original game, ported and uprezzed etc to 720p/1080p on PC.

NnT is 100% remake, EVERYTHING has been re-created.

yup i agree with you
it sucks the term "remake" has been hijacked to mean something else

Hey Stewart, can you guys change the title of the game in the "Whats New" section for the US version... It's "ONNT PS4 SCEA" at the moment.

However the EU version is "Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty" which is much better.

It's ok if it's now out of your hands (love the game!)

Ummmm I'll take a look, not sure...

Top Bottom