• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Branskins

Should I still keep the crossfire mobo for the future? Maybe for another 4850 down the road =p

EDIT: Is it worth it to upgrade to a 4870 for ~92 bucks more?

Blackface

Banned
Branskins said:
Should I still keep the crossfire mobo for the future? Maybe for another 4850 down the road =p

EDIT: Is it worth it to upgrade to a 4870 for ~92 bucks more?

4870 and the 4850 are both great cards, that will do everything you want and more. So it's up to you. Maybe put the extra 92 away somewhere, and save up for another 4850 and cross fire them down the road.

Blackface

Banned
Branskins said:
Good idea!

So the final thing: Stick with the q6600 or go with e8500! Last call! :)

E8500 is better for gaming right now, and gaming in the near future, but won't age as well as the Q6600 will.

I would go with the E8500, and upgrade to a new motherboard/CPU in a year or a little more.

But if you know for a fact you won't upgrade in a little over a year, go with the Q6600, because in a year and a half or so, games will come out that are using more then two cores so the Q6600 will be better long term.

VaLiancY

Fuck this, I'm stealing a build from one of you guys.:lol Warhammer comes next month and Left 4 Dead after that. I wantsome pretty games NOW!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Trax416 said:
E8500 is better for gaming right now, and gaming in the near future, but won't age as well as the Q6600 will.

I would go with the E8500, and upgrade to a new motherboard/CPU in a year or a little more.

But if you know for a fact you won't upgrade in a little over a year, go with the Q6600, because in a year and a half or so, games will come out that are using more then two cores so the Q6600 will be better long term.

New Intel Socket supposedly focuses a lot less on gaming, I still doubt that games will be FULLY utilizing 4 cores in the future.

If you can clock the Quad to 3.6 I'd get it, if not get the E8500/8400. (imo of course)

Once you clock a Core2 to 3.2Ghz you will barely see and performance gain in terms of fps, unless it is heavily CPU driven (like Supreme Commander or other titles).

I would also suggest sticking with a single PCI-Ex16 mobo as there will always be a better single lane card out.

Blackface

Banned
Hazaro said:
New Intel Socket supposedly focuses a lot less on gaming, I still doubt that games will be FULLY utilizing 4 cores in the future.

If you can clock the Quad to 3.6 I'd get it, if not get the E8500/8400. (imo of course)

Once you clock a Core2 to 3.2Ghz you will barely see and performance gain in terms of fps, unless it is heavily CPU driven (like Supreme Commander or other titles).

I would also suggest sticking with a single PCI-Ex16 mobo as there will always be a better single lane card out.

The upgrade he gets from picking up another 4850, for a low price in the futre, will be greater then him buying any single GPU card on the market.

He said he wants to keep his CPU for 3+ years. By then Core2's will be useless.

I have an E8400 @ 4ghz on 1.27V. It's faster then any Q6600 now, but I know that games will come out that support multi cores in the future, and the E8400, even at 4ghz will not cut it. Which is fine by me, because it's still good for a long time.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
VaLiancY said:
Fuck this, I'm stealing a build from one of you guys.:lol Warhammer comes next month and Left 4 Dead after that. I wantsome pretty games NOW!

Hazaro said:
E7200
Corsair 550TX (Good after rebate deals still going on with these)
GigaByte P35-DS3L (Or other choice)
Cooler Master 690 (Love this case, others work as well)
8800GT 512MB (Or higher if you want, imo the GT is still amazing)
2GB G.Skill (Best sticks in the WORLD $45 for things that can to 1000 5-5-5?)
WD6400AAKS (ZOOM)
Smasung DVD burner SH-203 (Fantastic burner B or N)

$700 shipped

You can also buy a Antec combo case/PSU for like $80 which will make it $630

Swap in a E2180 for even cheaper. (Have to overclock this to 3.0 though)

E7200 + 8800GT = TF2 maxed at 1600x1200 with 100+ fps

That's my current value build. It can play everything on the market fantastically and nothing that is higher than Crysis is coming out soon.

While I'm at it, I'll post the upcoming PC titles too :lol

This is why "You need a new PC"

August 29, 2008 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
August 31, 2008 Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
September 7, 2008 Spore
September 16, 2008 Crysis Warhead
October 1, 2008 Far Cry 2
October 7, 2008 Fallout 3
October 20, 2008 Dead Space
November 17, 2008 Left 4 Dead
November 18, 2008 Grand Theft Auto IV
November 25, 2008 Huxley [Free on ijji]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything (Build or dates)

Blackface

Banned
Hazaro said:
That's my current value build. It can play everything on the market fantastically and nothing that is higher than Crysis is coming out soon.

September 7, 2008 Spore

The thing with Crysis is, it's coded like shit. thats why it hurts systems so bad. A game can come out that looks just as good, but if it's coded correctly, it will run far better on current system then Crysis ever did and look just as good.

I mean, you know your game is coded like shit, when random modders are releasing tweeks that modify the code of the game to make it run better.

I for some reason want to upgrade my 8800GT to a 4870, but I'm having no problem playing any games at 1920x1200 (with one exception of course :p). I think I have a problem.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Trax416 said:
The upgrade he gets from picking up another 4850, for a low price in the futre, will be greater then him buying any single GPU card on the market.

He said he wants to keep his CPU for 3+ years. By then Core2's will be useless.

I have an E8400 @ 4ghz on 1.27V. It's faster then any Q6600 now, but I know that games will come out that support multi cores in the future, and the E8400, even at 4ghz will not cut it. Which is fine by me, because it's still good for a long time.

New post for different subject.

That's a slick chip you have there, my E7200 does 3.8 on 1.3V load.

I am not impressed by the 45nm quads, or the info released to far on the new chips at all.

While there are large gains for many other programs, the new boards and sockets, along with DDR3 make it seemingly unjustifiable for any gamer to upgrade to the new platform.

Going by Intels "tick tock" routine, Core2's will be solid for another 2+ years especially because GPU's are becoming insanly powerful at the computations they need to good at. With no major breakthough in CPU based physics processing, and GPU PHysX a realty now I don't see CPU's playing a large role in graphics in the near (2+ years) upcoming future.

Any resolution of recent monitors 1600+ GPU power is the only thing that matters.

Everything of course is imo, but that is what I am betting on.

Trax416 said:
The thing with Crysis is, it's coded like shit. thats why it hurts systems so bad. A game can come out that looks just as good, but if it's coded correctly, it will run far better on current system then Crysis ever did and look just as good.

I mean, you know your game is coded like shit, when random modders are releasing tweeks that modify the code of the game to make it run better.

You can't blame it for going way beyond anythying else, plus Warhead will be optimized better. Tweaks are mainly for view distance iirc. But that's not the main point of my post or the thread.

njp142 said:
I for some reason want to upgrade my 8800GT to a 4870, but I'm having no problem playing any games at 1920x1200 (with one exception of course :p). I think I have a problem.

I felt the same pang when it was released, but I know I don't need it.

JSnake

Trax416 said:
The 4850 can play any game on the market today, and any game coming out. The 4850 can also play Crysis on High with no AA (only 1 can play it with AA). I have the 9800GTX, which a few months ago, was the top GPU card on the market. The 4850 is faster then the 9800GTX, and I can play everything maxed out.

The 4850 is the new 8800GT. It's the BEST price/performance card on the market, and nothing is even remotely close.

It is a fantastic card, takes up little power (in comparison), is a single slot, and doesn't get to hot. It's the shit, in otherwords.

How will a 4850 run Crysis at very high at 1280x720?

Affinity

So I just bought a QX6850 for the computer I plan on building this fall. I'm hoping to compliment it with a 4870. I just need to find a nice mobo.

Blackface

Banned
Hazaro said:
New post for different subject.

That's a slick chip you have there, my E7200 does 3.8 on 1.3V load.

I am not impressed by the 45nm quads, or the info released to far on the new chips at all.

While there are large gains for many other programs, the new boards and sockets, along with DDR3 make it seemingly unjustifiable for any gamer to upgrade to the new platform.

Going by Intels "tick tock" routine, Core2's will be solid for another 2+ years especially because GPU's are becoming insanly powerful at the computations they need to good at. With no major breakthough in CPU based physics processing, and GPU PHysX a realty now I don't see CPU's playing a large role in graphics in the near (2+ years) upcoming future.

Any resolution of recent monitors 1600+ GPU power is the only thing that matters.

Everything of course is imo, but that is what I am betting on.

Thats how I hope it goes, and I hope they find away around CPU bottle necking certain GPU's.

However people always over exaggerate what you need. When single core'es were out, everyone HAD to upgrade to core2's because they are so good for "multi-tasking". Now core 2 quads launch, and Core2's magically become shit at multi tasking. To the point where people say "well if you want to run Firefox, and music, while playing a game, get a quad core". Which is pretty fucking retarded.

I am impressed with the 45nm quads for things like rendering, photoshop work, and other extremely powerful multi threaded application. However for things like normal multi tasking, and gaming, they don't impress me more then say an E8400.

There is a reason I have a Q9450 in my work machine, and an E8400 in my game machine.

Blackface

Banned
JSnake said:
How will a 4850 run Crysis at very high at 1280x720?

crysis_1280_1024.gif

this is with AA. Without, it plays it at an even higher FPS, passing cards like the 8800 and 9800.

The higher the resolution, the better the ATI cards do in comparison to other cards.

Also keep in mind, many of the first reviews for the card, like the one you are looking at, are with older drivers. Newer drivers have been released, and the card is now far better then the 9800GTX is, much much better.

I am also not biased, as I have a 9800GTX. :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Trax416 said:
Thats how I hope it goes, and I hope they find away around CPU bottle necking certain GPU's.

However people always over exaggerate what you need. When single core'es were out, everyone HAD to upgrade to core2's because they are so good for "multi-tasking". Now core 2 quads launch, and Core2's magically become shit at multi tasking. To the point where people say "well if you want to run Firefox, and music, while playing a game, get a quad core". Which is pretty fucking retarded.

I am impressed with the 45nm quads for things like rendering, photoshop work, and other extremely powerful multi threaded application. However for things like normal multi tasking, and gaming, they don't impress me more then say an E8400.

There is a reason I have a Q9450 in my work machine, and an E8400 in my game machine.

Agreed.

I have extreme distaste for the 45nm Quads because besides SS4.1 the Q6600 can do it, and clock EVEN BETTER (If it's G0 of course), for a lot cheaper.

The only people that need quads are people who do CAD, and heavy graphics work. Heck even the video encoders I use are all dual core only. :lol

When irks me is that the new chip will offer like 100% improvement in some areas and 5% in others.

*To clarify before someone asks, it's only the super GPUs that cause bottlenecks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Branskins said:
I already placed my order on the quad. Will I regret it or something?

:lol

This is all speculative talk, just clock that sucker and don't worry about it. Your new compy will fly ;)

VaLiancY

Antec Nine Hundred Black Case
ASUS P5W LGA 775 Intel P45
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS 750GB
ASUS Xonar D2X
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner

This is it. My budget is $1500. I can save $250 and get a 4870 or spend it on the X2 variant. I pretty much wanted to have something with enough legs for at least 2 years for the GPU. I also wanted to put an afterstock fan for my CPU, I have no knowledge of overclocking and I wanted to know if its difficult installing one. I just wanted to sleep sound knowing my PC is cool.

Blackface

Banned
VaLiancY said:
Antec Nine Hundred Black Case
ASUS P5W LGA 775 Intel P45
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS 750GB
ASUS Xonar D2X
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner

This is it. My budget is $1500. I can save $250 and get a 4870 or spend it on the X2 variant. I pretty much wanted to have something with enough legs for at least 2 years for the GPU. I also wanted to put an afterstock fan for my CPU, I have no knowledge of overclocking and I wanted to know if its difficult installing one. I just wanted to sleep sound knowing my PC is cool.

The 4870X2 will last the longest. It's amazing, hasn't peaked, and the best card money can buy.

Putting an aftermarket HSF on your CPU is not hard. Just watch a video tutorial. However, some of them can be difficult. The ones that use the Standard Intel 775 clips are the most annoying.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Trax416 said:
The GTX260, which is Nvidia's new card, is a fantastic card as well. However over all, it gets out performed by the 4870.

Well, yes and no to that, really. Reviewers were very quick to crown the 4870 the victor, but I've seen a few reviews that paint slightly different pictures (and I've posted them in the other thread). On top of that, you have the larger frame buffer and a highly OC'able GPU and memory. That said, I don't think any wants to see me go off on a tirade about it. :lol

VaLiancY said:

4870x2 called, it wants your money.

VaLiancY

Trax416 said:
The 4870X2 will last the longest. It's amazing, hasn't peaked, and the best card money can buy.

Putting an aftermarket HSF on your CPU is not hard. Just watch a video tutorial. However, some of them can be difficult. The ones that use the Standard Intel 775 clips are the most annoying.

Thanks you, Hanzou and many others(list too long) for the insight. It's cool of you all to help people getting into PC gaming or just helping them get new parts via. I'm going to go read some 4870X2 reviews to see which brand I take interest in.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Hazaro said:

September 7, 2008 Spore

Hmmmm...Far Cry 2 is off. Coming out on 10/21.

Branskins said:
What is my safest bet though? What if they really did drop its support? And what if the 4870 drops to a good price so that I could buy a second one?

What do you mean by "drop its support?" You're going to have the manufacturer's warranty, and I'm sure driver development will continue for awhile. It's not like a magical ATI driver set is going to add more memory and brute force to the 4870.

The GX2 is a great value and an amazing performer. That's all that can be said.

Blackface

Banned
VaLiancY said:
Thanks you, Hanzou and many others(list too long) for the insight. It's cool of you all to help people getting into PC gaming or just helping them get new parts via. I'm going to go read some 4870X2 reviews to see which brand I take interest in.

Get Vishiontek. Lifetime warranty.

All the 4870X2's are the exact same with different stickers.

Trax416 said:

I was really surprised how easy it was to install the freezer pro 7 even though it has the same style clips as the stock fan.

What voltage does it get dodgey on the 45 nm chips? as I know they can get burnt out easier than the previous intel cpu's

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
VaLiancY said:

Hanzou? :lol I hope that's another members name.

Like Trax said, they are all the same. They come from the same factories (Foxconn / Flextronics) and they get to put their own sticker on it. Sometimes companies like Palit will change a few aspects, but otherwise cards are the same.

1.3V for 45nm is a nice place.

Just make sure to keep the VTT/MCH 1.3V or below. At least that's what one post on Anandtech said... Never followed up on that.

Hazaro said:

Like Trax said, they are all the same. They come from the same factories (Foxconn / Flextronics) and they get to put their own sticker on it. Sometimes companies like Palit will change a few aspects, but otherwise cards are the same.

Just make sure to keep the VTT/MCH 1.3V or below. At least that's what one post on Anandtech said... Never followed up on that.

Ahh thanks Hanzou, mine currently set at 3.6 at 1.25v

It weird though games say my CPU is at 3.8ghz (and windows), but the latest CPU-Z say its at 3.6ghz

Also just ordered a xonar DX sound card to give tunes and games more life.

Blackface

Banned
Romance Pie said:
I was really surprised how easy it was to install the freezer pro 7 even though it has the same style clips as the stock fan.

What voltage does it get dodgey on the 45 nm chips? as I know they can get burnt out easier than the previous intel cpu's

Never push the Vcore past 1.42, and to even get there, you will need to be overclocking a lot, with an amazing cooler, water cooling, or have a shit chip.

Not all CPU's are created equal. Some batch numbers, which are numbers in which a group of chips are produced, will do WAY better then others.

I have a Q807 chip, which is one of the best. I can get to 4.0ghz at 1.27Vcore. I could probably go lower, but I didn't bother. Someone also got to 4.0Ghz on 1.22 Vcore with the same batch.

However, say the Q806 batch, might take 1.31 volts to get to 4.0ghz. It all depends on the CPU.

Also remember to monitor Vdrop. Just because it says it's at 1.3 volts in your Bios, it doesn't make it right. Also keep an eye on Vdroop. When under load, your CPu voltage will drop. So it might be say 1.3 on idle, but when you put load on it, it could drop to 1.26 and be unstable. The difference between the two, is your Vdroop. Your Vdrop is the difference between the voltage in your Bios, and what CPU-Z says. CPU-Z is more accurate then the Bios BTW.

So to be clear.

Vdrop - Vdrop is the difference in Vcore, between what your BIOS says, and what CPU-Z says. CPU-Z is right, and Bios is wrong. so take that into account when changing your Vcore.

Vdroop - Vdroop is the difference between your voltage when Idle and under load (according to CPU-Z). When your CPU is idle, your Voltage might be at 1.3, but when it's under load, it could drop to 1.26. That would give you a 0.04 Vdroop.

Trax416 said:

Warhead is going to be different. Each of the developers were given a $600 dollar PC and said.... "Optimize".

Crysis was shit code hence why it's been EOL'ed and now Crysis Warhead is going to get all the treatment.

I don't expect this newer release to suck as much balls as Crysis did.... hell I never even played Crysis because in my view it simply was a glorified tech demo. Warhead though... looks promising.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Trax416 said:

All very good info. I had a 807 myself for a bit, wanted to test it out, but 1.3 for 4.0 was all I got from it. My mobo didn't want to go past 525FSB :lol So I couldn't tear up any benchmarks.

VictimOfGrief said:
Crysis was shit code hence why it's been EOL'ed and now Crysis Warhead is going to get all the treatment.

I don't expect this newer release to suck as much balls as Crysis did.... hell I never even played Crysis because in my view it simply was a glorified tech demo. Warhead though... looks promising.

:lol :lol :lol

Crysis Warhead is basically an expansion pack :lol

Everything is the same :lol

Go play the demo with the CCC modifier.

Trax416 said:
Never push the Vcore past 1.42, and to even get there, you will need to be overclocking a lot, with an amazing cooler, water cooling, or have a shit chip.

Not all CPU's are created equal. Some batch numbers, which are numbers in which a group of chips are produced, will do WAY better then others.

I have a Q807 chip, which is one of the best. I can get to 4.0ghz at 1.27Vcore. I could probably go lower, but I didn't bother. Someone also got to 4.0Ghz on 1.22 Vcore with the same batch.

However, say the Q806 batch, might take 1.31 volts to get to 4.0ghz. It all depends on the CPU.

Also remember to monitor Vdrop. Just because it says it's at 1.3 volts in your Bios, it doesn't make it right. Also keep an eye on Vdroop. When under load, your CPu voltage will drop. So it might be say 1.3 on idle, but when you put load on it, it could drop to 1.26 and be unstable. The difference between the two, is your Vdroop. Your Vdrop is the difference between the voltage in your Bios, and what CPU-Z says. CPU-Z is more accurate then the Bios BTW.

So to be clear.

Vdrop - Vdrop is the difference in Vcore, between what your BIOS says, and what CPU-Z says. CPU-Z is right, and Bios is wrong. so take that into account when changing your Vcore.

Vdroop - Vdroop is the difference between your voltage when Idle and under load (according to CPU-Z). When your CPU is idle, your Voltage might be at 1.3, but when it's under load, it could drop to 1.26. That would give you a 0.04 Vdroop.

Cheers Trax!
My mate who helped me overclock it mentioned the Vdroop that happens. Just wanted to be sure that I wasn't cooking my chip as it was only stock speeds for 30 seconds after the first post.

Stalker never looked so pretty now (playing it on static lighting the first time on medium settings)

Esperado

Romance Pie said:

I'm not a big fan of the Intel pin system. I kind of wish they would have done the same thing as AMD where you just clip it on, but to each his own I guess. It's kind of weird, I think Intel has a better way of installing the processor itself, not having to deal with bent pins and such, but AMD has a better way of installing the cooler.

Do the latest AM2 processors still have those pins that you have to line up perfectly to install the CPU?

VaLiancY

Hazaro said:

Apologies. :lol Can't go wrong with a Lifetime warranty.

Zzoram

njp142 said:

Naw, upgraditis is very common. Immediately after building a new PC I always regret not buying higher end parts. It's seeing the better new stuff come out and the prices dropping fast that comforts me for not buying the highest end stuff (which tends to lose the most value the fastest).

Zzoram

Just a note, Crysis runs well at 1024x768 with Medium everything on a Pentium 4 with an X1900 AIW, as I recently saw my friend playing it with those specs/settings.

beat

How's this?

Antec Sonata III 500
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200
Patriot Memory Extreme Performance PC2-6400 Low Latency - 4.0GB Dual-Channel Kit
Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB
Samsung SH-223F
Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB

Briefly, how do the various Gigabyte P45 chipset motherboards differ? I'm aiming around sub-$1000 and going for a quiet (not truly silent) PC without water cooling. Is the stock CPU cooler good enough for heat and noise levels? I don't plan on overclocking.

I like the Sonata for the ease of access to the internal HDs, and decent power supply included, but I could be persuaded to go for something else. Preferably not a bigger something else, though. Full-size towers are too big.

Blackface

Banned
beat said:
How's this?

Antec Sonata III 500
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200
Patriot Memory Extreme Performance PC2-6400 Low Latency - 4.0GB Dual-Channel Kit
Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB
Samsung SH-223F
Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB

Briefly, how do the various Gigabyte P45 chipset motherboards differ? I'm aiming around sub-$1000 and going for a quiet (not truly silent) PC without water cooling. Is the stock CPU cooler good enough for heat and noise levels? I don't plan on overclocking.

I like the Sonata for the ease of access to the internal HDs, and decent power supply included, but I could be persuaded to go for something else. Preferably not a bigger something else, though. Full-size towers are too big.

Good build, but something I would change/think about.

1. I would think about getting in E8400 over an E7200

2. I would get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131275 Over the motherboard you have. You will see no difference, you aren't OC'ing.

3. Put the $30 you save towards getting the E8400

4. Everything will run perfectly fine at stock, but make sure your room doesn't get to warm, and you have high CFM fans in your case.

SRG01

Slavik81 said:
What's the best I can build for $600CAD?
No monitor required.

Preferably using parts available at http://www.memoryexpress.com/
since they have a physical location in town and time is of the essence. But if that's too much trouble, I don't necessarily need them from there.

EDIT: Only requirement is that it's better than this:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10108778&catid

Do you have a case and power supply on hand? HDD and OS too?

If you can salvage an old system, you can easily build a rig that's way better than that HP machine for less than $600.

E2xxx+heatsink or X2 5000, 4GB ram, cheap motherboard, and 8800GT (since it runs on most standard power supplies) should be more than sufficient.

beat said:

Go for a cheap case with a decent power supply and you'll save a few $$$. Most case designs are way overblown if you're not OCing and/or if you're not an enthusiast.

Slavik81

How about this?

I need 1066FSB DDR2 RAM, though. I budgeted $50-70 for it. That about right? What should I grab? Maybe this ram:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX21022(ME).aspx

or this:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX14887(ME).aspx

I'll be running Vista Buisness.

SRG01 said:
Do you have a case and power supply on hand? HDD and OS too?

If you can salvage an old system, you can easily build a rig that's way better than that HP machine for less than $600.

E2xxx+heatsink or X2 5000, 4GB ram, cheap motherboard, and 8800GT (since it runs on most standard power supplies) should be more than sufficient.
Just saw your post.

As a student, I have access to a free OS.
But there's nothing to salvage.

Esperado said:
I'm not a big fan of the Intel pin system. I kind of wish they would have done the same thing as AMD where you just clip it on, but to each his own I guess. It's kind of weird, I think Intel has a better way of installing the processor itself, not having to deal with bent pins and such, but AMD has a better way of installing the cooler.

Do the latest AM2 processors still have those pins that you have to line up perfectly to install the CPU?

The Intel Stock cooler pins are kinda freaky when sticking it in. Have heard people cracking their boards as well.

But the Artic cooler went on really easily, no uneasy feelings and just simply clicked in.
Did this twice as well so it wasn't first time luck (case has a detachable mobo tray but wouldn't fit back in as the cooler was too big)

dude

dude
Zzoram said:
Naw, upgraditis is very common. Immediately after building a new PC I always regret not buying higher end parts. It's seeing the better new stuff come out and the prices dropping fast that comforts me for not buying the highest end stuff (which tends to lose the most value the fastest).
My pc should arrive tommorow, and I just keep looking over at parts and say "shit, I should've gone with that!":lol

Hazaro said:

September 7, 2008 Spore

I think we need a "Upcoming PC games thread of who needs BIG COMFY COUCHES".

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
dude said:
My pc should arrive tommorow, and I just keep looking over at parts and say "shit, I should've gone with that!":lol

I think we need a "Upcoming PC games thread of who needs BIG COMFY COUCHES".

Who says you can't play Crysis on TV's? :D

Credit to nd4 on OCF

3screen.jpg

4full.jpg

Broseybrose

Hazaro said:
Who says you can't play Crysis on TV's? :D

that looks like the natural mod. normal crysis is not so blue.

is it true what you said about warhead performing just as poorly as the original? it doesnt surprise me at all, but i have to wonder how theyre getting away with the claims of 30+fps with "all the bells and whistles turned on" on an 8600GT. theyre probably not mentioning that theyre playing it at 1024x768... assholes :lol

i have a 1920x1200 monitor and an 8800GTX. crysis hurt it badly (15-35fps on HIGH), and didnt even look that good because AA is impossible at that res. that 'edgeAA' was nonsense.

Top Bottom