• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

beat

Trax416 said:
Good build, but something I would change/think about.

1. I would think about getting in E8400 over an E7200

4. Everything will run perfectly fine at stock, but make sure your room doesn't get to warm, and you have high CFM fans in your case.
I'm sure it will run cool enough; I'm worried because stock CPU coolers aren't usually known for being quiet enough.

As for the CPU, yeah, I'm torn between 7200 and 8400.

Riddler

Trax416 said:
Coolermaster 690
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

Hitatchi Deskstar 320GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145213

Palit 4870X2 2gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261025

LiteOn DVD rom
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106262

OCZ GamerXstream 700Watt PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002

Corsair Dominator 4gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145214

Asus p5Q Pro, with Crossfire Support,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

Intel E8400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

$1277. No monitor, mouse or keyboard, but any $10 keyboard works, a $50 Razer Deathadder or MX518 are two top gaming mice.

This is the best computer linked in this thread. It will play every fucking game you throw at it, including Crysis on Very high, and High with AA. It is amazing. I want one. Buy me one.

If you are willing to go more towards 1500 before tax, you could improve it even more, and honestly have one of the top gaming rigs money can buy outside of freaks who are crossfiring $600 graphic cards.

Trax is there a reasone why you have the E8400 instead of a Quad core? Like the other person I would like not to touch my mobo/cpu for acouple years :)

Jirotrom

I have a problem.... my 320GB hard drive Is being recognized as a 131 GB hard drive by windows now since my upgrade... more than half my memory is gone....wtf!? BTW I have the E8400 and with that arctic cooling freezer pro 7 it holds temps at aound 32C with the Antec 900 case:D

Right, I just installed my Radeon 4870 and 4 gigs of ram, but it took some tinkering for the asus P5NE board to accept the extra sticks. My computer boots up properly now, but the memory frequency has gone down to 400 instead of the 800mhz it should be.

KVR800D2N5K2/2G, that's the memory I have.
kingston 6400 CL5
4 sticks of 1 gig.

Does anyone know the timings for this memory? Or something else that might need fixing?

lexi

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
Right, I just installed my Radeon 4870 and 4 gigs of ram, but it took some tinkering for the asus P5NE board to accept the extra sticks. My computer boots up properly now, but the memory frequency has gone down to 400 instead of the 800mhz it should be.

KVR800D2N5K2/2G, that's the memory I have.
kingston 6400 CL5
4 sticks of 1 gig.

Does anyone know the timings for this memory? Or something else that might need fixing?

Set your FSB to 400 and your memory timings will fall in line, along with the benefit of running your RAM and CPU asynchronously.

lockii said:
Set your FSB to 400 and your memory timings will fall in line, along with the benefit of running your RAM and CPU asynchronously.

The FSB that is normally @ 1066?

(last time I messed around with this stuff was when I had a Pentium II)

Hmm maybe the problem is that I can't get 4 sticks to do dual channel on this board.

Or maybe I can, does this look about right?

vskiea.jpg

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
can someone point me in the direction of overclocking CPU's for n00bs?

by mobo is an intel dx48bt2. yeah I know it's not great, especially for overclocking. but I had to go intel because of the linux/unix support.

bee

Fallout-NL said:
Hmm maybe the problem is that I can't get 4 sticks to do dual channel on this board.

Or maybe I can, does this look about right?

http://i38.tinypic.com/vskiea.jpg[/IMG]

400mhz in cpu-z = ddr2 800

tras of 31 is way too high

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Jirotrom said:
I have a problem.... my 320GB hard drive Is being recognized as a 131 GB hard drive by windows now since my upgrade... more than half my memory is gone....wtf!? BTW I have the E8400 and with that arctic cooling freezer pro 7 it holds temps at aound 32C with the Antec 900 case:D

operative system?
win2k?
run - regedit
find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters
change EnableBigLba Dword Value from 0 to 1

If EnableBigLba doesn't exist inside parameters, create a new entry:

Value name: EnableBigLba
data type: REG_DWORD
Data value: 0x1

I dont know if this is the place to ask, but I just got my computer up and running. With these specs, what should I be able to run Crysis at?

XFX GeForce 8800 GT 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ AM2 CPU Black Edition
Crucial 3GB PC5400 DDR2 667Mhz

Jirotrom

spyshagg said:
operative system?
win2k?
run - regedit
find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters
change EnableBigLba Dword Value from 0 to 1

If EnableBigLba doesn't exist inside parameters, create a new entry:

Value name: EnableBigLba
data type: REG_DWORD
Data value: 0x1
windows XP

Cheeto

Jirotrom said:

Did you format it FAT32?

Jirotrom

anyone have a DFI board... for some reason my Ram and CPU speed are linked and even though im running DDR 800 its up to I believe 960. Also how high can I overclock the E8400 before having to change the voltage?

Cheeto

Jirotrom said:
yep... pretty crappy:(
Are you installing off a 'Pre-SP2' WinXP disc? Even still, you should be able to make a couple partitions, each totaling around 130GB until you use your full 3xxGBs.

Jirotrom

Cheeto said:
Are you installing off a 'Pre-SP2' WinXP disc? Even still, you should be able to make a couple partitions, each totaling around 130GB until you use your full 3xxGBs.
yes i am... but i'm about to say fuck it because im getting vista on monday anyways.

Cheeto

Jirotrom said:
yes i am... but i'm about to say fuck it because im getting vista on monday anyways.
That should solve your problem. As long as your BIOS isn't the one not recognizing the full drive size...but it should as long as it was built this side of the decade.

Xtyle

So, I have decided to move my computer next to my 60'' TV for HD gaming.
I need a good wireless keyboard, and mouse. What are the best options? Is the Logitech G7 a good choice? (someone already suggested Dinovo). I don't need them for anything else other than gaming. Mostly FPS and RTS games. I have also looked into USB extensions (10 feet). Do these cause lag on keyboard and mouse? I already have a good pair of wired keyboard and mouse.

edit
Is upgrading to 8 gig ram for Vista a overkill? Right now I have 2 gig DDR2 800
My CPU FSB is 800/1066 but my current Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 memory standard is Memory Standard DDR2 800. I am thinking of getting 1066 ram but in order to do that, I need to upgrade my MOBO. My question is, is it worth buying a new MOBO for that? mostly on stock speed everything (until I have a need to overclock).

my CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115001

want 2 of these CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145197

want ASUS Striker II Formula
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131255

dagZ

gaf, I was wondering if you would help me make a computer for gaming (hint, hint, crysis) because i'm a complete noob in this category. I don't really have a price range, but keep it reasonable, maybe like under $2200? Also, I'd like it semi future-proof. :D

Jirotrom

zoku88 said:
You can't do that in general. Only with Valve games.
really... you can download the game on steam...

dagZ said:
gaf, I was wondering if you would help me make a computer for gaming (hint, hint, crysis) because i'm a complete noob in this category. I don't really have a price range, but keep it reasonable, maybe like under $2200? Also, I'd like it semi future-proof. :D
2200.... you can build a monster with that if you already have a monitor

zoku88

Jirotrom said:
yup, but you can't link a retail version of it to steam.

dagZ said:
We'll keep it MUCHO under $2200 :lol :lol

Cheeto

Jirotrom said:

2200.... you can build a monster with that if you already have a monitor
For 2200 you can build a monster INCLUDING the monitor. :lol

SRG01

Seriously though, someone on the previous page suggested that we make a PC games thread. Are we going to go through with that at all?

No6

Jirotrom said:
if i install the oposing fronts can i still play through the original COH?
Why wouldn't you be able to? Or do you not have CoH? Because OF is a standalone expansion.
Also, I'd like it semi future-proof.
Future-proofing that budget means spending around $1200 on the PC and dumping the remaining $1000 into a CD.

Jirotrom

No6 said:
Why wouldn't you be able to? Or do you not have CoH? Because OF is a standalone expansion.

Future-proofing that budget means spending around $1200 on the PC and dumping the remaining $1000 into a CD.
thanks, just wanted to make sure.

dude

dude
SRG01 said:
Seriously though, someone on the previous page suggested that we make a PC games thread. Are we going to go through with that at all?
I would if I had the time... But I'll gladly contribute to it if someone is going to do it.

Blizzard

Banned
I've really been looking to get a new PC before I have NO chance of getting Windows XP (legally) on a computer. If anyone has some advice, I'd appreciate it.

My situation:

• Wants to play games like the new STALKER, potentially stuff like Starcraft 2 and Spore
  • But, isn't concerned about having the ULTIMATE most current hardware.
  • Is familiar with PCs, OSes, programming, etc. but hasn't bought PC parts lately and doesn't want to overclock
  • Ideally, would like to spend $1000 or less for everything (including an LCD monitor).
  • Is considering Dell or HP customization packages for ease of purchase, because he can get a slight employee discount, and because Dell has a nice XP Pro/Vista Ultimate combo still available.

Any general suggestions?

Chiggs

Gold Member
SRG01 said:

I think it's a great idea. What would it be like? Upcoming games, games we like, etc, etc?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Blizzard said:
I've really been looking to get a new PC before I have NO chance of getting Windows XP (legally) on a computer. If anyone has some advice, I'd appreciate it.

My situation:

• Wants to play games like the new STALKER, potentially stuff like Starcraft 2 and Spore
  • But, isn't concerned about having the ULTIMATE most current hardware.
  • Is familiar with PCs, OSes, programming, etc. but hasn't bought PC parts lately and doesn't want to overclock
  • Ideally, would like to spend $1000 or less for everything (including an LCD monitor).
  • Is considering Dell or HP customization packages for ease of purchase, because he can get a slight employee discount, and because Dell has a nice XP Pro/Vista Ultimate combo still available.

Any general suggestions?

For a $1000.00 smackeroos, you can build a pretty awesome machine. If you go through Dell or HP, you'll still get something nice, but not AS nice.

Blizzard

Banned
Chiggs said:
For a $1000.00 smackeroos, you can build a pretty awesome machine. If you go through Dell or HP, you'll still get something nice, but not AS nice.

Cool. Do you think I'm more likely to get a reasonably priced system that way, or custom building? And for custom (I haven't read this thread in-depth) are there any general sites that are good to check? Newegg always seems expensive to me, for instance. Ideally I'd rather not have to manually install my processor and heatsink, though I know it's not that big of a deal. Everything else is even less of a deal if I get individual parts, though shopping multiple sites is more of a hassle.

Also, I heard varying opinions. Take monitors. Some people say Dell's are great for gaming. Others say no (I saw the big monitor thread/discussion here on GAF recently).

zoku88

Blizzard said:
Cool. Do you think I'm more likely to get a reasonably priced system that way, or custom building?

Custom.

If you shop via newegg, it should be a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than from dell...

Chiggs

Gold Member
Blizzard said:
Cool. Do you think I'm more likely to get a reasonably priced system that way, or custom building? And for custom (I haven't read this thread in-depth) are there any general sites that are good to check? Newegg always seems expensive to me, for instance. Ideally I'd rather not have to manually install my processor and heatsink, though I know it's not that big of a deal. Everything else is even less of a deal if I get individual parts, though shopping multiple sites is more of a hassle.

Newegg, for me, is the absolute best website. I find their prices reasonable (if they're not gouging because of high interest in a product), and their service is excellent.

But if you'd rather not go through the building process, just buy a pc from Dell equipped with either a 4870 or GTX 260.

Also, I heard varying opinions. Take monitors. Some people say Dell's are great for gaming. Others say no (I saw the big monitor thread/discussion here on GAF recently).

I personally love Dell monitors, but some people, god bless them, are absolute lcd snobs and cannot live with certain things. Anyone here want to chime in on some good brands?

Kabouter

Chiggs said:
I personally love Dell monitors, but some people, god bless them, are absolute lcd snobs and cannot live with certain things. Anyone here want to chime in on some good brands?
HardOCP community was full of love for the BenQ G2400WD as a cheap good 24" monitor, so I ordered that one :). V2400W is I think the same, but with a better design (thinner etc.), but also more expensive. And yes I know ordering a PC with a reasonably priced video card and a 24" monitor may not make sense to some of you, so don't bother :p.

Cheeto

dagZ said:
haha. told you I had no clue.
Read a couple pages back in the thread and try to emulate other people's builds. Post what you come up with here, and we'll make it better/cost less.

dude

dude
I use a 22" Chimei CMV 221D, because I was on a budget, but it's actually surprisingly nice. It's not the best, but for it's price, it's awesome. If you're looking for a good, cheap, 22", it's not bad.

zoku88

Kabouter said:
And yes I know ordering a PC with a reasonably priced video card and a 24" monitor may not make sense to some of you, so don't bother :p.
I have my laptop with a 8600M GT hooked up to a 24" 1920x1200 display as well (also a benQ)

Antagon

Chiggs said:
Newegg, for me, is the absolute best website. I find their prices reasonable (if they're not gouging because of high interest in a product), and their service is excellent.

But if you'd rather not go through the building process, just buy a pc from Dell equipped with either a 4870 or GTX 260.

There's one thing I wonder myself. Here in the Netherlands, pretty much every webshop will assemble your system for you and give you some warranty on the entire system (instead of individual parts) for around 50-100 Euros, also depending on the time the warranty lasts. Aren't there stores that offer a similar deal in the US?

Also ordered some parts for myself. My goal is to get a cheap but quiet system. There's no case/psu as I already got myself some really nice stuff earlier this year (p182/Corsair vx550) before I decided that I'd had to cut some on the budget. :lol

Product : Linksys WMP54G (Wireless card)
Subtotaal : 22,66 euro

Product : Club3D Radeon HD4850,GDDR3, PCI Express x16, 512MB (Pretty cheap, non-reference HD4850)
Subtotaal : 156,38 euro

Product : Intel Core 2 Duo,E8400, Socket 775, Boxed
Subtotaal : 136,55 euro

Product : Arctic Freezer 7 pro
Subtotaal : 15,58 euro

Product : Samsung SpinPoint F1,7200RPM, SATA II, 16MB, 640GB
Subtotaal : 67,31 euro

Product : Kingston KVR800D2N5K2/4G,4096MB, DDR2, PC6400, 800MHz, 2x
Subtotaal : 63,84 euro

Product : Pioneer DVR-215DBK SATA
Subtotaal : 21,09 euro

Product : GigaByte GA-EP45-DS3L,Retail
Subtotaal : 90,99 euro

Total: 584,38 euro

Probably going to order a new monitor next month, still using an old LG 17" CRT

Antagon

zoku88 said:
I have my laptop with a 8600M GT hooked up to a 24" 1920x1200 display as well (also a benQ)

Heh, my work laptop has a Quattro nvs 140m and a native res of 1920x1200 at 17". Pretty annoying when you try to game.

dagZ

dagZ said:

any update on this?

Antagon

Here's a nice base system for a bit under a thousand dollars (at newegg). It'll max nearly everything out now. After this, the performance gains aren't really worth the extra money imo.

Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - 149.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD502lJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $69.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply - Retail
$89.99
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit $79.99

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$139.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model $189.99

VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
$270.00
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate

Subtotal: $989.94

If you do want to upgrade it later it'll at least allow you to put in a second HD4870. Also, I don't know a lot about cpu coolers, so I didn't include that.

Top Bottom