• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Blackface

Banned
zoku88 said:
More or less, I think you crossed the line between performance and waste of money. The RAM you chose would give him VERY minimal performance increase. He might not even notice. Feel free to prove me wrong. Show me tests.

Not now, but in the future. We are building him a computer that performs well now, and in the future.

If we were building him a computer for right now. I would have told him to skip the Quad core, and go with an E8400 @ 4ghz. Get some higher RPM drives, and the 790I FTW board.

Seriously, just go onto Xtremesystems and post the BS you are posting in this thread. Tell them you are building someone a computer for $1880 that uses DDR2 ram. I would enjoy the laugh.

What Proof do you need that it's going to be the standard. I7 comes out BEFORE CHRISTMAS.

Branskins

Chiggs said:
Holy shit, look at the GX2. Branskins, you paying attention?

Yeah I see it -_-. But it is only around 10 more frames for my resolution! Also, why is the 4850 CF lower than the 4850?

EDIT. Okay it isn't lower, but they are very close!

Azzurri

Gold Member
zoku88 said:
you overclocking? If not, 800 MHz RAM is fine.

Yea, I will.

Also How do you guys like Vista 64bit version. I have the 32 bit at work but never really fooled around with it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Branskins said:
Yeah I see it -_-. But it is only around 10 more frames for my resolution! Also, why is the 4850 CF lower than the 4850?

EDIT. Okay it isn't lower, but they are very close!

Driver issues. Sometimes Crossfire and SLI don't play nice with games. Sometimes there are just weird anomalies, too...like a 260 beating a 280, or a 9800GTX beating both.

zoku88

Trax416 said:
Not now, but in the future. We are building him a computer that performs well now, and in the future.
See, the thing is DDR3 is somewhat hampered by its latency, at least the RAM you chose which operated at 1333MHz. I'm saying, you start seeing much better benefits at 1600MHz. At 1333Mhz, the raw performance difference is minute at best.

Do you know what throughput is? You act like applications will be designed to take advantage of DDR3 specifically.

What Proof do you need that it's going to be the standard. I7 comes out BEFORE CHRISTMAS.
That's not proof that 1333MHz would become standard in builds over 1600MHz or something...

Blackface

Banned
zoku88 said:
See, the thing is DDR3 is somewhat hampered by its latency, at least the RAM you chose which operated at 1333MHz. I'm saying, you start seeing much better benefits at 1600MHz. At 1333Mhz, the raw performance difference is minute at best.

Do you know what throughput is? You act like applications will be designed to take advantage of DDR3 specifically.

That's not proof that 1333MHz would become standard in builds over 1600MHz or something...

because of DDR3's pre-fetch buffer, and partial array self refresh, it dominates normal DDR2 ram with the amount it can do per cycle.

We aren't comparing High end DDR2 that needs to be overclocked, which he doesn't want to do, to the DDR3 ram. We are comparing stock 800MHZ DDR2.

There is no comparison. This isn't 2007.

Using DDR3 also gives you an upgrade path that is cut off when you use DDR2 ram.

If he kept his budget, and waited for three more months, he would be buying DDR3 memory anyway if he had a $2200 to spend. Why? because Intel is not going to support DDR2 any longer.

So why not get it now?

Do you really think the price is going to drop by over $100 in three months?

come on now.

If I was going to give him my opinion. I would tell him to WAIT. because anything you are building now, when you have a budget for $2200, might be nice, and can do everything you want for years, but I7 is worth waiting for.

Why blow $900 of your $2200 budget on a computer that is going to be outperformed by more then 50 percent in normal takss, and 10-15 percent in gaming, by the I7's?

When you could hold onto your cash for an extra three months, and build an entire new I7 rig, that will be far more future proof then anything we are suggesting.

zoku88

Trax416 said:
because of DDR3's pre-fetch buffer, and partial array self refresh, it dominates normal DDR2 ram with the amount it can do per cycle. You're comparing performance again without facts. Those things sound pretty general, you should be able to show the performance difference between current DDR3 1333 RAM and current DDR2 800

Do you really think the price is going to drop by over $100 in three months? Relevance?

You're going off on a tangent with talking about Nehalem performance. Personally, I'm getting a Nehalem rig at teh end of winter.

I wouldn't say it's really worth it for gaming. Here's Anandtech's take:

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=480

Blackface

Banned
zoku88 said:

If that sounds general to you, then I suggest reading up more about DDR3 ram. It seems I went way over your head.

I am done arguing with you. It's pointless. You have a misinformed opinion, and can't admit you are wrong.

You are telling someone who wants to spend $2200 on a nice gaming computer, and wants it to be as future proof as possible. To buy ram that is not even going to be supported by any new motherboards, by any of Intels new chipsets or CPU's.

Explain to me how that makes any sense at all. It doesn't.

I am done de-railing this thread. I came in here to help people out, with questions.

I suggest moving this discussion to an actual PC forum, like Xtremesystms. I will be sure not to lock your thread if you do.

Trax416 said:
If that sounds general to you, then I suggest reading up more about DDR3 ram. It seems I went way over your head.

I am done arguing with you. It's pointless. You have a misinformed opinion, and can't admit you are wrong.

You are telling someone who wants to spend $2200 on a nice gaming computer, and wants it to be as future proof as possible. To buy ram that is not even going to be supported by any new motherboards, by any of Intels new chipsets or CPU's.

Explain to me how that makes any sense at all. It doesn't.

I am done de-railing this thread. I came in here to help people out, with questions.

I suggest moving this discussion to an actual PC forum, like Xtremesystms. I will be sure not to lock your thread if you do.

You keep resorting to this "I am teh informed" bullshit rhetoric. The benchmarks don't lie, you are wrong.

Blackface

Banned
zoku88 said:

You're going off on a tangent with talking about Nehalem performance. Personally, I'm getting a Nehalem rig at teh end of winter.

I wouldn't say it's really worth it for gaming. Here's Anandtech's take:

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=480

you are preaching to the choir. I made a post in Off topic talking about updating your GPU before I7.

However, a $2200 rig should be able to do more then game. If you have $2200 and waste it on any of the current CPU's or motherboards with I7 around the corner. It's a mistake.

zoku88

Trax416 said:
Siigh. You should try re-reading things. I don't think you've actually understood half of the things. (not agreeing, just understanding.)

You keep talking about new motherboards, when all of that is totally irrelevant, since his computer will have an old one.

EDIT: No offense, but I would generally stay away from any forum where you are a mod. You're hot-headed, quick to resort to insults, and just generally not pleasant to discuss with. You lack a certain etiquette and you just ignore supporting evidence, saying that it's just conjecture and then argue the opposite based on no evidence whatsoever.

Blackface

Banned
zoku88 said:
Siigh. You should try re-reading things. I don't think you've actually understood half of the things. (not agreeing, just understanding.)

You keep talking about new motherboards, when all of that is totally irrelevant, since his computer will have an old one.

EDIT: No offense, but I would generally stay away from any forum where you are a mod. You're hot-headed, quick to resort to insults, and just generally not pleasant to discuss with. You lack a certain etiquette and you just ignore supporting evidence, saying that it's just conjecture and then argue the opposite based on no evidence whatsoever.

I am not really hot headed. I just can't stand arguing with people who have no idea what they are talking about. I can't have an intelligent discussion, because you are really off base with what you are saying.

It's fine if you don't want to visit any forum I may be a mod at. I don't really mind. The fact you don't know what XtremeSystems is, and I am not bragging by any means. Shows you really have no idea about PC's. Xtremesystems is the most well known PC site on the Internet. They hold almost all of the overclocking records. Including KingPins 3dMark06 record. They are the fourth most sponsered forum in the world for Overclocknig, and were featured in this months Overclocking magazine, which just so happens to be made by a forum member. Not knowing what Xtremesystems is and being an intelligent PC fan, is like not knowing what Xbox 360 is, and being a videogame fan. I don't even mod at the site, technically, but bragging about that stuff is pathetic.

Like I said, I really don't want to argue with you any longer. There is no point.

DDR3 is the future. DDR2 is about to be obsolete on new technology in a matter of months. six months from now, when people are in this thread making builds, it won't involve DDR2.

Building an $1880 computer, that is as future proof as possible, and not using DDR3 is a mistake, Like it or not.

Have fun answering peoples questions in this thread. We will see if it lasts more then a day.

Trax416 said:
I am not really hot headed. I just can't stand arguing with people who have no idea what they are talking about. I can't have an intelligent discussion, because you are really off base with what you are saying.

It's fine if you don't want to visit any forum I may be a mod at. I don't really mind. The fact you don't know what XtremeSystems is, and I am not bragging by any means. Shows you really have no idea about PC's. Xtremesystems is the most well known PC site on the Internet. They hold almost all of the overclocking records. Including KingPins 3dMark06 record. They are the fourth most sponsered forum in the world for Overclocknig, and were featured in this months Overclocking magazine, which just so happens to be made by a forum member. Not knowing what Xtremesystems is and being an intelligent PC fan, is like not knowing what Xbox 360 is, and being a videogame fan.

Like I said, I really don't want to argue with you any longer. There is no point.

You've already resorted to both ad hominem and appeal to authority. Stop spouting off your own credentials, if your forum is so great go post over there.

Blackface

Banned
TheHeretic said:
You've already resorted to both ad hominem and appeal to authority. Stop spouting off your own credentials, if your forum is so great go post over there.

I was helping people in this thread. You weren't. You don't know anything you are talking about. I mean you suggest using 500W Powersupply to Crossfire current GPU's. That doesn't even meet minimum requirements.

You could have literally set someones house on fire with that advice.

Trax416 said:
I was helping people in this thread. You weren't. You don't know anything you are talking about. I mean you suggest using 500W Powersupply to Crossfire current GPU's. That doesn't even meet minimum requirements.

You could have literally set someones house on fire with that advice.

Yeah, I never actually suggested someone buy a 500W powersupply for a dual GPU setup, the point was most setups don't use much more than that.

You are the shit man, now gtfo and go moderate your awesome forum

Blackface

Banned
TheHeretic said:
Yeah, I never actually suggested someone buy a 500W powersupply for a dual GPU setup, the point was most setups don't use much more than that.

You are the shit man, now gtfo and go moderate your awesome forum

Please leave this thread, I seriously don't want to see anyone waste money with your horrible advice. You should be banned for de-railing this thread in the first place.

You must be one hell of a neglected kid, with the amount of attention you need.

zoku88

Trax416 said:
Of course it would seem that way if you don't read correctly. I can tell by the number of times you respond with irrelevant comments or comments that just don't make sense.

This is further proven by the fact that you keep saying stuff like "DDR3 is the future" which no one is arguing. The argument was constrained to current systems. You claim that DDR3 will benefit even current systems in the future (it sure isn't doing it now, at least at 1333MHz combined with the current latencies.) Of course, you have no proof of this.

Actually, I'm wondering, do you know what the frequencies are referring to?

If you debate at all, do it properly.

EDIT: Seriously, you should edit your posts. Backseat moderating is bannable on this forum. I'll edit this out once you see it.

Trax416 said:
Please leave this thread, I seriously don't want to see anyone waste money with your horrible advice. You should be banned for de-railing this thread in the first place.

You must be one hell of a neglected kid, with the amount of attention you need.

Yeah, talking about RAM in a PC buying thread is a massive derail :lol

Go backseat mod some more

Blackface

Banned
zoku88 said:
Of course it would seem that way if you don't read correctly. I can tell by the number of times you respond with irrelevant comments or comments that just don't make sense.

This is further proven by the fact that you keep saying stuff like "DDR3 is the future" which no one is arguing. The argument was constrained to current systems. You claim that DDR3 will benefit even current systems in the future (it sure isn't doing it now, at least at 1333MHz combined with the current latencies.) Of course, you have no proof of this.

Actually, I'm wondering, do you know what the frequencies are referring to?

If you debate at all, do it properly.
http://www.digit-life.com/articles3/cpu/ddr2-800-vs-ddr3-1333.html

There is no miracle again: faster memory yields 1% performance gain on one of the fastest processors with the 1333 MHz FSB, while the only processor for the 1600 MHz bus gains 2% from it. As always, faster memory appears much earlier than we really need it. But let's not act as ignorant users, who shout about being cheated. There is no cheating here. Look at results and draw your conclusions. Sooner or later, we'll have processors that will be able to use the full potential of DDR3-1333. It would have been naive to think otherwise. It will just happen later, that's all.

And this is exactly what I am saying.

Blackface

Banned
TheHeretic said:
Yeah, talking about RAM in a PC buying thread is a massive derail :lol

Go backseat mod some more

Actually you came in here, insulted me. Said I had no clue what I am talking about. Made false claims about PSU's. Were proven wrong. Then you didn't even provide the guy who is trying to get a computer built with a different build with all that knowledge you posses.

TheHeretic said:
My philosophy is still to buy what works now and worry about what works tomorrow, tomorrow. DDR2 800 being as cheap as it is, is still the defacto standard in RAM today. The idea that you can hot swap a component 4 years down the line and have it be good as new is ridiculously optimistic.

I bought my A-Data 2x2GB 800MHz DDR2 in April of '08.

If I went out today to build another machine, depending on my personal budget, I would most likely tip the hat to DDR3 simply because it will be the defacto standard in less than 2-3 months time.

There are different strokes for different folks and while I agree DDR2 is in the golden era of price, it will soon hit the slops as DDR3 production ramps up. It happens every single time and has done so since we've left the PC100 days.

The idea that you can take your CURRENT investment and actually get a return in 6-12 months is actually worth taking a look at but hey.... it's anyone's money, and anyone's opinion. People are going to do whatever the hell they want to do.

Then...
zoku88 said:
You do know what you posted was completely irrelevant to the point at hand, right? Have you been paying attn? We've all acknowledged the fact that he'd have to have DDR3 RAM by the time he gets his next computer after the one he is getting now.

The fact of the matter is that if the person in question is getting an Intel chip (which most smart people do....) he will be up shit creek without a memory stick (or two) because you can't use DDR2 with the newer chips. The point is transferring the memory from a setup built now to a setup built 6-12 months from now.

Really... think about it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I take a nap and then this happens :lol

I haven't seen anyone asking for help, you guys are scaring them off :lol

Trax416 said:
Actually you came in here, insulted me. Said I had no clue what I am talking about. Made false claims about PSU's. Were proven wrong. Then you didn't even provide the guy who is trying to get a computer built with a different build with all that knowledge you posses.

Your the one who started spewing how great you are, how you are so informed and how you moderate some forum. You gave someone a shitty, overpriced build and if you knew what you were doing you would have told him not to waste his money on useless components. There is no such thing as a "future proof" PC, I don't care how many degrees you claim to have.

zoku88

Trax416 said:

Notice how 'minimal performance gains' was said repeatedly? That's the very definition of it. You recommended a Q9450, 1333MHz FSB.

VictimOfGrief said:
The fact of the matter is that if the person in question is getting an Intel chip (which most smart people do....) he will be up shit creek without a memory stick (or two) because you can't use DDR2 with the newer chips. The point is transferring the memory from a setup built now to a setup built 6-12 months from now.

Really... think about it.
But he's getting a Penyrn chip. And he's keeping it for a while. Years. People don't ask for 'future-proof' computers and only keep them for a year... When he's in the market for a new computer, DDR3 will be cheap. More or less, buying DDR2 now and DDR3 later is the cheaper option.

DEO3

What do you guys typically do with your old PC hardware? I upgraded last month and now I've got all my old parts just laying around. Are there any particular sites people use to buy/sell/trade used PC hardware?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheHeretic said:
Your the one who started spewing how great you are, how you are so informed and how you moderate some forum. You gave someone a shitty, overpriced build and if you knew what you were doing you would have told him not to waste his money on useless components. There is no such thing as a "future proof" PC, I don't care how many degrees you claim to have.

He gave one that tried.

He advised not to go with it.

Next few posts agreed that two builds is the way to go.

I don't see the problem, just let it drop.

Blackface

Banned
zoku88 said:

Notice how 'minimal performance gains' was said repeatedly? That's the very definition of it. You recommended a Q9450, 1333MHz FSB.

This makes absolutely no difference as to what my argument was. Which is down the line, if he is going to keep this computer, the DDR3 ram will perform better. The person who wrote this article, basically said it was a given. It was so completely obvious, it didn't even need to be elaborated on.

Blackface

Banned
DEO3 said:
What do you guys typically do with your old PC hardware? I upgraded last month and now I've got all my old parts just laying around. Are there any particular sites people use to buy/sell/trade used PC hardware?

Make a home server. Keep all your media safe, and you won't need to constantly back up your PC.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DEO3 said:

Overclockers Forum (Need 100 non-spam posts + ISP e-mail) Best imo, but not as active
Anandtech (Very nice)
[H]ardForum (Same speed as Anandtech, but more cursing and assholes)
GAF's buy/trade/sell thread (Mostly games)

Blackface

Banned
TheHeretic said:

Huh?

I created a PC that is the best you can make for the money.

I then replied to someone who made a more cost effective build and said it's an awesome build if he didn't want to spend all the money.

What are you talking about.

zoku88

Trax416 said:
This makes absolutely no difference as to what my argument was. Which is down the line, if he is going to keep this computer, the DDR3 ram will perform better. The person who wrote this article, basically said it was a given. It was so completely obvious, it didn't even need to be elaborated on.
Then seriously, you haven't been paying attention to anything anyone has said. $100 for a 1% increase is silly.

Broseybrose

you guys need to back off trax... he clearly knows his stuff, even if you guys differ in opinion. its like some people hate vista, others acknowledge its the way of the (near) future.

i found his advice to be helpful, as im sure others have. no one has to do exactly what he says, he is not the absolute authority, and everybody knows this. he is just contributing an educated opinion and people can take it or leave it or compare it to others opinions.

i personally disagree with him about buying DDR3 today, but telling him to leave is ridiculous. the thread would be worse without him.

Broseybrose said:
you guys need to back off trax... he clearly knows his stuff, even if you guys differ in opinion. its like some people hate vista, others acknowledge its the way of the (near) future.

i found his advice to be helpful, as im sure others have. no one has to do exactly what he says, he is not the absolute authority, and everybody knows this. he is just contributing an educated opinion and people can take it or leave it or compare it to others opinions.

but telling him to leave is ridiculous. the thread would be worse without him.

He threw the first "leave" comments. The guy gets off on thinking he knows best, anyway enoughs enough.

zoku88

UH, you do realize that trax has been telling US to leave (and suggested that we get banned for spreading misinformation.)

Blackface

Banned
zoku88 said:
Then seriously, you haven't been paying attention to anything anyone has said. $100 for a 1% increase is silly.

which will be a gigantic increase in 2 years as more technologies take advantage of it.

if he wanted to upgrade more then once in the next four years, then another user posted a build, which I backed up.

Blackface

Banned
TheHeretic said:
He threw the first "leave" comments. The guy gets off on thinking he knows best, anyway enoughs enough.

You came in here acting like you know everything, and what I said was wrong, and how I know absolutely nothing.

How is that contributing to this thread.

At least Zeko has answered four questions. You have not.

You have not even made a build for the guy yet you know so much more then anyone else. :lol

I have tried to drop this argument many times. Yet you guys continue to spread wrong information.

zoku88

zoku, actually...

Trax416 said:
which will be a gigantic increase in 2 years as more technologies take advantage of it.

if he wanted to upgrade more then once in the next four years, then another user posted a build, which I backed up.
I don't think it actually works that way... I think you have it backwards, unless I misunderstand by what you mean 'take advantage' of it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Trax416 said:

Whaaaaaaaaat.

Memory effects like almost nothing in system performance... The changes are so small you need to be a pro benchmarker to see them :lol

Here's an image from Anandtech that proves how shitty DDR3 is.

NOTE THAT AT THE SAME CLOCK SPEED DDR3 DOES SHITBALLS NOTHING
THE DDR2 IS FASTER BECAUSE OF THE LATENCIES.

As clock speed increases, fps goes higher, but this is not related to the RAM.

fc-lg.png

Not in any offense, but everything I've seen in accords to DDR3 just makes me thing that the industry has backlogged so many mountains of DDR2 sticks that they need something else to sell. Hence new socket which uses tri-lane DDR3 and OEM people who are going to buy it. The only things it's good for now is higher FSB and shaving a few milliseconds off SuperPi runs.

Please show me where DDR3 is making advances to have it replace DDR2, I just don't see it. :/

Trax416 said:
You came in here acting like you know everything, and what I said was wrong, and how I know absolutely nothing.

How is that contributing to this thread.

At least Zeko has answered four questions. You have not.

You have not even made a build for the guy yet you know so much more then anyone else. :lol

I have tried to drop this argument many times. Yet you guys continue to spread wrong information.

Yeah, and you are still wrong. I'm working off benchmarks in reality, you are working off prophetic articles which tell the coming of DDR3 a and the huge benefits to be reaped. RAM makes a big difference in GPU's, it really doesn't for system memory.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheHeretic said:
Yeah, and you are still wrong. I'm working off benchmarks in reality, you are working off prophetic articles which tell the coming of DDR3 a and the huge benefits to be reaped. RAM makes a big difference in GPU's, it really doesn't for system memory.

Not to mention we have GDDR5 :lol

Blackface

Banned
Hazaro said:
Whaaaaaaaaat.

Memory effects like almost nothing in system performance... The changes are so small you need to be a pro benchmarker to see them :lol

Here's an image from Anandtech that proves how shitty DDR3 is.

NOTE THAT AT THE SAME CLOCK SPEED DDR3 DOES SHITBALLS NOTHING
THE DDR2 IS FASTER BECAUSE OF THE LATENCIES.

As clock speed increases, fps goes higher, but this is not related to the RAM.

fc-lg.png

Not in any offense, but everything I've seen in accords to DDR3 just makes me thing that the industry has backlogged so many mountains of DDR2 sticks that they need something else to sell. Hence new socket which uses tri-lane DDR3 and OEM people who are going to buy it. The only things it's good for now is higher FSB and shaving a few milliseconds off SuperPi runs.

Please show me where DDR3 is making advances to have it replace DDR2, I just don't see it. :/

Do you have a link to the article, because it seems pretty old by those numbers.

Also DDR3 is replacing DDR2 because Intel is dropping all support for DDR2. In a year, you will be hard pressed to find new motherboards with DDR2 support.

DDR3 is also far better for overclocking, because Intel's new I7 has on die memory controller. Which means you can't unlink the RAM from the CPU. So we will need much higher frequencies to do what we do today.

Also, DDR3 is outperforming DDR2 on benchmarks now, but barely. As posted above.

However, DDR3 will be better down the road, because of newer technologies supporting it. You also have a direct upgrade path.

Why even pick up DDR2 now, when you know it will be as good as garbage in a year, because nothing will continue to support it.

Blackface

Banned
TheHeretic said:

If you notice, I said this to Zoku.

Iwas the first one in this thread to break down GPU' RAM being more important, even if Intel wants to kill GPU's.

zoku88

I'm not mad or anything, but are you doing that on purpose or is my name that hard to memorize?

EDIT: stealth edit? Or maybe i need sleep.

Blackface

Banned
Jirotrom said:
whats a good safe voltage for the E8400?

Under 1.42.

It depends on batch number and your cooling.

I have a Q807 batch at 4.0ghz 1.27 (could go lower). on air.

Get the box, give me the batch number.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Trax416 said:
Do you have a link to the article, because it seems pretty old by those numbers.

June 2007 iirc, If you can find a more recent article I'd appreciate it.

Also DDR3 is replacing DDR2 because Intel is dropping all support for DDR2. In a year, you will be hard pressed to find new motherboards with DDR2 support.

Depends on how well the new socket and chips do. Imo I am not looking at anything that will have big gains for what I use my PC for, games mostly. So I don't plan on spending a lot of money on something that will have little impact on what I do.

DDR3 is also far better for overclocking, because Intel's new I7 has on die memory controller. Which means you can't unlink the RAM from the CPU. So we will need much higher frequencies to do what we do today.

Overclocking the CPU or the RAM? I don't see Intel going past 400 MHz anytime soon, they are slowly stepping up from 333 as it is, even so we still have DDR1066 sticks if they decide and go 533 even. Yes I realize everything over 800 is overclocked. (Actually I think 1000 sticks might have been certified recently, not sure)

Also, DDR3 is outperforming DDR2 on benchmarks now, but barely. As posted above.

My main point, it doesn't matter much

However, DDR3 will be better down the road, because of newer technologies supporting it. You also have a direct upgrade path.

Why even pick up DDR2 now, when you know it will be as good as garbage in a year, because nothing will continue to support it.

Because I believe in cheap abundant RAM that performs well

Basically it comes down to thinking that DDR3 has a good future. I just don't think it does.

Chris R

Seriously can't wait for tomorrow :lol Its like my birthday or Christmas :lol

Going to the case store tomorrow, see how expensive their shit is, and will most likely end up my old case since their stuff will be spendy :|

Good place to order basic case fans from online? Thinking I'll need 4 80mm fans to fit in the case and get good airflow.

Blackface

Banned
Hazaro said:
Basically it comes down to thinking that DDR3 has a good future. I just don't think it does.

I think it does, because we will have no choice for the next year if we want to upgrade to I7.

With some of the info released recently, like automatic overclocking. It could be interesting.

I planned on waiting a while to get into I7,.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Trax416 said:
Under 1.42.

It depends on batch number and your cooling.

I have a Q807 batch at 4.0ghz 1.27 (could go lower). on air.

Get the box, give me the batch number.

Stock or aftermarket cooler?

I'd go with 1.3V AF and whatever can keep your temps in check with stock.

Probably whatever voltage you can scale up from 3.8Ghz to with no trouble, sometimes getting to 4.0Ghz takes quite a bit of an extra push.

Top Bottom