• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Blackface

Banned
Intel also released all the info on how to properly gauge the temperatures for the 45NM CPU's.

expect temp software to be updated in a few days. MBM5 already has a new plug in out.

Ravenn17

Vista has been crashing on me pretty frequently ever since I got my computer up and running. I get a blue screen with an error message like "Memory management". Is this a driver issue or could there be a problem with hardware installation?

Ravenn17 said:
Vista has been crashing on me pretty frequently ever since I got my computer up and running. I get a blue screen with an error message like "Memory management". Is this a driver issue or could there be a problem with hardware installation?
If the error is memory management, download and run Memtest x86

Blackface

Banned
Ravenn17 said:

Also make sure you update your Bios.

Jirotrom

spyshagg said:
operative system?
win2k?
run - regedit
find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters
change EnableBigLba Dword Value from 0 to 1

If EnableBigLba doesn't exist inside parameters, create a new entry:

Value name: EnableBigLba
data type: REG_DWORD
Data value: 0x1
didn't work...
anyone know how to fix this. Its really annoying that I have a 320 gig hardrive that shows up only as a 131:(

Chris R

So I'm posting from my new machine :D

currently half installed in my old case, still haven't had time to run to the local shop to check their prices. What I might end up doing is using this case and stealin the fans from the old dual core system (dual core, old school style, IE two cpus :lol ) to save some cash.

now to patch and install and patch some more... Anyone know how accurate everest is for temps? showin 42-47 on my cpu, non overclocked... maybe I didn't install the cooler right or the thermal compound wasn't enough but I was expecting lower. Also it says my ram vrm is at almost 90c :lol

Vorador

Banned
I just ordered this headset

23a2qs.jpg

Honestly i'm not as interested in the headset per se as the adapter is comes with it. It has optical and coaxial digital inputs as well as a analog output for my 5.1 speakers.

sr-xtatic-5.1.jpg

Up until now i've been using a VGA-Box for switching the audio between my ps3 and PC since my monitor has HDMI input but no audio, now i won't need to do that and on top of that finally i will be able to play in 5.1 instead of stereo.

Blackface

Banned
rhfb said:
So I'm posting from my new machine :D

currently half installed in my old case, still haven't had time to run to the local shop to check their prices. What I might end up doing is using this case and stealin the fans from the old dual core system (dual core, old school style, IE two cpus :lol ) to save some cash.

now to patch and install and patch some more... Anyone know how accurate everest is for temps? showin 42-47 on my cpu, non overclocked... maybe I didn't install the cooler right or the thermal compound wasn't enough but I was expecting lower. Also it says my ram vrm is at almost 90c :lol

Real Temp is the most accurate for Core2's, especially Core 2 45nm's. However this will change soon because Intel finally released all of the information on how to accuratly read temperatures with this CPU's. So expect programs like Real Temp and Core Temps to have updates soon.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Vorador said:
I just ordered this headset

23a2qs.jpg

Honestly i'm not as interested in the headset per se as the adapter is comes with it. It has optical and coaxial digital inputs as well as a analog output for my 5.1 speakers.

sr-xtatic-5.1.jpg

Up until now i've been using a VGA-Box for switching the audio between my ps3 and PC since my monitor has HDMI input but no audio, now i won't need to do that and on top of that finally i will be able to play in 5.1 instead of stereo.

that's exactly what I've been looking for! more info please. where did you order it from, how much?

Ravager61

My new computer has been assembled and is running great. Whats the best way to check to see what temps my CPU and GPU are running at?

Vorador

Banned
otake said:
that's exactly what I've been looking for! more info please. where did you order it from, how much?

I ordered it from a local store in my city, the price was 89€ without shipping. The name is "Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 II"

I received it this afternoon and installed it, the decoder works flawlessly so far. Using the coaxial input for the pc and fiber input for the ps3, i slide a small switch to change inputs. The sound is really good, and the headset is true 5.1 with detachable microphone (that sadly doesn't work with the ps3, but i had a bluetooth headset anyway)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ravager61 said:
My new computer has been assembled and is running great. Whats the best way to check to see what temps my CPU and GPU are running at?

RealTemp, CoreTemp, CPU-Z, GPU-Z, RivaTuner, ORTHOS to test CPU load (personal preference) OCCT, Prime95 also fine.

John_B

I'm getting a E8400 shortly, and I want to mess around with it a bit.

I haven't overclocked in ages and I'm a little confused regarding memory bandwidth.

Let's say I have some DDR2-1066 memory, I clock the FSB to 400MHz (9m*400fsb=3.6GHz), how much effect will the memory clockrate have on bandwidth? If I use a 4:5 divider to obtain a 1000MHz memory clockrate, will that add significant memory bandwidth, or will the 400MHz FSB be a bottleneck?

If the FSB is a bottleneck, would it not be better to use a 1:1 divider with some fast DDR2-800 memory (in the case of not clocking the FSB higher than 400MHz) ?

bee

John_B said:
I'm getting a E8400 shortly, and I want to mess around with it a bit.

I haven't overclocked in ages and I'm a little confused regarding memory bandwidth.

Let's say I have some DDR2-1066 memory, I clock the FSB to 400MHz (9m*400fsb=3.6GHz), how much effect will the memory clockrate have on bandwidth? If I use a 4:5 divider to obtain a 1000MHz memory clockrate, will that add significant memory bandwidth, or will the 400MHz FSB be a bottleneck?

If the FSB is a bottleneck, would it not be better to use a 1:1 divider with some fast DDR2-800 memory (in the case of not clocking the FSB higher than 400MHz) ?

just clock it to 500fsb and run it 1:1 and just lower the cpu multiplier if you have to ( you shouldn't though)

John_B

bee said:
just clock it to 500fsb and run it 1:1 and just lower the cpu multiplier if you have to ( you shouldn't though)
I'm not so sure about that, is it normal for a northbridge to handle such a high fsb? It sounds very unstable.

bee

John_B said:
I'm not so sure about that, is it normal for a northbridge to handle such a high fsb? It sounds very unstable.

modern boards hit that with ease, my board is over 2 years old and does 450, set mch voltage + 0.1 or 0.2 and your good to go

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
John_B said:

Not at all, my P965 can do 525 fine :lol

Memory won't make much a difference, 1:1 is generally accepted as a good C2D ratio, unless you are running DDR3 doesn't matter much at all.

JSnake

Hey guys, is my Gigabyte GA-73VM-S2 a good mobo? I'm not having any problems (haven't OCed) but just wanna know. Can someone link me to a review or two?

John_B

bee said:
modern boards hit that with ease, my board is over 2 years old and does 450, set mch voltage + 0.1 or 0.2 and your good to go
Okay, so here is the stupid question, does lowering the multiplier have any negative effects?

Jirotrom

bee said:
I have an E8400, and 500fsb is ridiculous, 450fsb gives you a little over 4 gHz and that a 1Ghz overclock.

bee

John_B said:
Okay, so here is the stupid question, does lowering the multiplier have any negative effects?

oh e8400 has 9x multiplier :O yes then if you want to run 1:1 with memory (and you should) then you will definitely need to drop that multi. 7x will be easy to achieve for 3.5ghz , 8x and 4ghz will be harder and no there's no negative affects

the difference between 3.5 and 4ghz in games will be totally negligible though, i say go try for 7x500

Jirotrom

bee said:
oh e8400 has 9x multiplier :O yes then if you want to run 1:1 with memory (and you should) then you will definitely need to drop that multi. 7x will be easy to achieve for 3.5ghz , 8x and 4ghz will be harder and no there's no negative affects

the difference between 3.5 and 4ghz in games will be totally negligible though, i say go try for 7x500
you can hit 3.6 ghz on this card without even raising the voltage and i believe this is possible on the stock fan.

SarBear

bee said:
that guide is just WTF? the most unnecessarily over complicated thing i've ever read

I'm going to have to agree with this statement. I comprehended some of it.....but for the most part I'm completely lost.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kadey said:
Switching from 9800GX2 to 4780X2. Take out, put in, change drivers, wollah?

Uninstall Nvidia drivers
Boot into safemode
Run Driver Cleaner
Shutdown
Put in 4870
Install Catalyst

Still waiting for a response on PS3 so I can have closure :(

bee

Hazaro said:
Uninstall Nvidia drivers
Boot into safemode
Run Driver Cleaner
Shutdown
Put in 4870
Install Catalyst

Still waiting for a response on PS3 so I can have closure :(

i would advise using driver sweeper instead, it doesn't need a boot into safe mode and the free version of driver cleaner is outdated and doesn't clean everything these days

Chris R

So after like 5 mins of playing a game I got a BSOD related to the graphics card or something :lol Have never seen a BSOD on my laptop in 3 years and in my first hour with vista I get a BSOD. Now this was when my computer was "semi" installed in a case, so I had forgot to plug in the molex connector for the GPU... would this cause the issue? The system worked, minus the bsod with the connection not plugged in, but would be nice if that was the problem and not something else. Was running 8.8 cats and my 4870 in WoW.

DEO3

Jirotrom said:
whats a good safe voltage for the E8400?

I have my e8400 at 4050Ghz @ 1.34V, I probably wouldn't raise it much higher than that. At that voltage it gets pretty hot (60-70C), even with a Thermalright 120-Ultra Extreme.

rod

Banned
so i got a 4850 and for the price its a fucking AMAZING card, but i want MOAR POWA! price is not an issue, is the 9800gx2 the best card atm?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
rod said:
so i got a 4850 and for the price its a fucking AMAZING card, but i want MOAR POWA! price is not an issue, is the 9800gx2 the best card atm?

so crossfire it or get a 4850x2.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
bee said:
i would advise using driver sweeper instead, it doesn't need a boot into safe mode and the free version of driver cleaner is outdated and doesn't clean everything these days

That's nice to know, I just did it with driver cleaner 2 days ago so :lol

Jirotrom said:
he said money isn't an issue... isn't the 4870X2 in crossfire better...

Yeah but... if hes already got a 4850 it makes more sense to buy another one than to throw it out and buy 2 new cards. If price isn't an issue at all he should get like 3 GTX 280's and take out a mortgage.

rod said:
im going to run a single card, no sli/crossfire solutions plz :D whats the best single slot card. 9800gx2?

The 4870X2 is better than the 9800GX2. The 9800's might as well be called 8800's, its the same tech. The latest and greatest are ATi's 48XX series and Nvidias 2XX series.

I'm not hugely up to date with GPU's anymore but the 4870 seems to be the best card at the moment, price considered. Price out the window i'm pretty sure the GTX 280 is the beast.

bee

rod said:
im going to run a single card, no sli/crossfire solutions plz :D whats the best single slot card. 9800gx2?

wait a few days for the gtx 280+ announcement that will be the best single gpu solution, 9800gx2/4870x2 are both sli/crossfire solutions even though they are on a single card

Chris R

So my PC was actin up... wouldn't ever reboot, I'd have to clear bios to get it to work, ect. Turns out that it likes to preload the bios to system ram, and if your ram stick isn't in slot 1, it will hang each and every time :lol Bad thin about this is that the bios liked to set my cpu speed to around 1100mhz, instead of the 28xxmhz I should have :lol Was kinda disapointed at game performance and then I found the extra 1700+ mhz and games fly now. TF2 was smooth as hell.

Swap my memory from 2/4 to 1/3 and haven't had a problem since. Now I just need to get a nice keyboard since this one I'm usin now seems to drop g and is generally a pain to type with, and maybe a new widescreen monitor/tv (just got a 37" but its too large for my room, need somethin like a 32 or 27/26

SRG01

rhfb said:
So my PC was actin up... wouldn't ever reboot, I'd have to clear bios to get it to work, ect. Turns out that it likes to preload the bios to system ram, and if your ram stick isn't in slot 1, it will hang each and every time :lol Bad thin about this is that the bios liked to set my cpu speed to around 1100mhz, instead of the 28xxmhz I should have :lol Was kinda disapointed at game performance and then I found the extra 1700+ mhz and games fly now. TF2 was smooth as hell.

Swap my memory from 2/4 to 1/3 and haven't had a problem since. Now I just need to get a nice keyboard since this one I'm usin now seems to drop g and is generally a pain to type with, and maybe a new widescreen monitor/tv (just got a 37" but its too large for my room, need somethin like a 32 or 27/26

... Why would you even load ram into 2/4? :lol

Chris R

SRG01 said:
... Why would you even load ram into 2/4? :lol
When I upacked the mobo, there was a little sticker close to the ram, saying with green color that the mobo was good on power usage and ran cool, ect, while in orange coloring saying that the mobo also overclocks very easily, ect. I just stuck the ram into the orange color slots, thinking that the ram would overclock better there, not thinking there would be boot issues. :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rhfb said:
When I upacked the mobo, there was a little sticker close to the ram, saying with green color that the mobo was good on power usage and ran cool, ect, while in orange coloring saying that the mobo also overclocks very easily, ect. I just stuck the ram into the orange color slots, thinking that the ram would overclock better there, not thinking there would be boot issues. :lol

What do you know :lol

Blackface

Banned
TheHeretic said:
Yeah but... if hes already got a 4850 it makes more sense to buy another one than to throw it out and buy 2 new cards. If price isn't an issue at all he should get like 3 GTX 280's and take out a mortgage.

The 4870X2 is better than the 9800GX2. The 9800's might as well be called 8800's, its the same tech. The latest and greatest are ATi's 48XX series and Nvidias 2XX series.

I'm not hugely up to date with GPU's anymore but the 4870 seems to be the best card at the moment, price considered. Price out the window i'm pretty sure the GTX 280 is the beast.

The 9800GX2 performs better then any Nvidia or ATI card outside of the 4870X2 and the GTX280.

It's "Old tech", but it's cheaper then the 4870, and GTX260 and performs better.

Blackface

Banned
rod said:

9800GX2 is better, but putting the 4850 in crossfire is better. However, not all games have crossfire or SLI profiles. Keep this in mind.

zoku88

Trax416 said:
The 9800GX2 performs better then any Nvidia or ATI card outside of the 4870X2 and the GTX280.

It's "Old tech", but it's cheaper then the 4870, 4850, and GTX260 and performs better.
Did you mean cheaper as in price/performance, since it kinda costs more than a 4850...

Top Bottom