• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

rod

Banned
ok, im returning my 4850, great card, but im power hungry. after some reading, ive decided to go with the 4870x2 or the gtx 280. opinions please! <3

~Kinggi~

Banned
rod said:
ok, im returning my 4850, great card, but im power hungry. after some reading, ive decided to go with the 4870x2 or the gtx 280. opinions please! <3
4870x2 all the way if money isnt an issue.

Medic

Neo Member
Any advice on this build?

- Core 2 Duo E8400
- GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R
- OCZ Platinum 2GB PC2 8500
- Radeon HD4850 (overkill for my monitor's resolution of 1280x1024 - anything a better value with that considered? I'd like to hold off on monitor upgrade for now)
- Antec P180
- Antec earthwatts EA500

Thanks.

Blackface

Banned
rod said:

4870X2 is better, but it's a waste if you don't game at high resolutions.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Medic said:

- Core 2 Duo E8400
- GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R
- Radeon HD4850 (overkill for my monitor's resolution of 1280x1024 - anything a better value with that considered?)
- Antec P180
- Antec earthwatts EA500

Thanks.

I'm still a fan of the 8800GT for ~$120, or go 3850/3870 if you want ATi.

rod said:
hmm, 1920x1080? i play on my hdtv

Fine and dandy, put that card to use.

Blackface

Banned
Medic said:

- Core 2 Duo E8400
- GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R
- Radeon HD4850 (overkill for my monitor's resolution of 1280x1024 - anything a better value with that considered?)
- Antec P180
- Antec earthwatts EA500

Thanks.

4850 is the best performance/price card. Thats a good card, and to be honest, most cards are overkill for 1280X1024.

It's a good build, but I would suggest picking up a board like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138122&Tpk=Biostar TP43D2-A7, and getting 4gb of ram instead.

The board above I have personal experience with and it's one of the best boards I have ever used while making a budget build. It's also a proven overclocker if thats what you are into.

It lacks the DDR3 memory, but for a budget build, DDR3 memory is not really needed.

Medic

Neo Member
Thanks for the feedback. I'm getting the mobo, RAM and CPU together at a nice price, so I'd like to keep them together unless they will cause problems. I forgot to mention that I'm trying to keep the system relatively cool, so my biggest concern was the video card/PSU. I've read that the 4850 runs somewhat hot and loud even after the fan fix.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Dark Stalkers said:
Is the 9800gx2 worth it at $285?

It's worth it at $350. 1650x1080, No AA or anything, everything very high or high, 30-50fps in Crysis.

It's one of the top 3 performance cards that can go up against the game.

Blackface

Banned
Medic said:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm getting the mobo, RAM and CPU together at a nice price, so I'd like to keep them together unless they will cause problems. I forgot to mention that I'm trying to keep the system relatively cool, so my biggest concern was the video card/PSU. I've read that the 4850 runs somewhat hot and loud even after the fan fix.

If you wait a month, ATI partners will have non reference versions of the 4850 and 4870 on the market that are designed to improve cooling.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Trax416 said:
4870X2 is better, but it's a waste if you don't game at high resolutions.

just remember the power supply! remember that those cards require a 6 ping and 8 pin pci-e connector.

rod

Banned
otake said:
just remember the power supply! remember that those cards require a 6 ping and 8 pin pci-e connector.

can you show me pics of what im looking for exactly? i got my PSU 4 days ago, cost me 220 dollars, its a 750WT psu im about to open my case to see if i need what you say i do

bee

rod said:
can you show me pics of what im looking for exactly? i got my PSU 4 days ago, cost me 220 dollars, its a 750WT psu im about to open my case to see if i need what you say i do

2ealym0.jpg

rod

Banned
hot diggity!

so im gonna be running Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 w/8GB ram and one 4870x2 vista 64bit

am i gonna get megaton performance?

rod

Banned
oh man...i cant wait, i havent been this excited since...the start of a new console gen :D gotta admit tho that 4850 i got on friday was great for the price...but i guess it was just a taste of what was possible :D

bee

rod said:
hot diggity!

so im gonna be running Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 w/8GB ram and one 4870x2 vista 64bit

am i gonna get megaton performance?

lol, 1080p 8xaa 16xaf on all games..bar one of course :p

rod

Banned
bee said:
lol, 1080p 8xaa 16xaf on all games..bar one of course :p

will those settings still bring my pc to its knees with crysis? i hope its playable with at least 2xaa, i didnt like 0aa with my 4850 :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rod said:
will those settings still bring my pc to its knees with crysis? i hope its playable with at least 2xaa, i didnt like 0aa with my 4850 :(

Just make sure to use the CCC thing for Crysis.

And overclock that CPU, if you don't get at least 4Ghz shame on you :lol

rod

Banned
Hazaro said:
Just make sure to use the CCC thing for Crysis.

And overclock that CPU, if you don't get at least 4Ghz shame on you :lol

CCC? are you talking about catalyst control centre? if so, what about it?

rod

Banned
thanks, im really out of touch with this stuff. when i got my pc built last week, i said to the guy give me the best of everything, but give me a mid range videocard. so i havent really done any modding or anything as of yet

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rod said:
thanks, im really out of touch with this stuff. when i got my pc built last week, i said to the guy give me the best of everything, but give me a mid range videocard. so i havent really done any modding or anything as of yet

Well, lets say I don't want to know how much it was since he threw in a 9650 :lol

If you don't plan on overclocking, I'd sell the chip for $600 and buy a new one for $300 that will only be 10% slower.

(But that's just me)

I'm sure you'll be blown away when you get everything set-up.

Also I don't like the "natural mod" or whatever it's called in CCC. The lighting looks too weird imo.

Can someone please help me with choosing between these cards? I'm assuming the more expensive ones are better (duh) but are they worth the extra money in terms of performance increase I would expect compared to the cheaper ones?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CODE=YAHOODF&cm_mmc_o=QztBBCjCVRqCjCVRqCjCVRq

http://www.compusa.com/applications...?EdpNo=3507889&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...?EdpNo=3797705&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Or if anyone would recommend a better alternative to these in the $200ish and cheaper price range that would be able to last me a decent while I would much appreciate it.

Wallach

MisterAnderson said:
Can someone please help me with choosing between these cards? I'm assuming the more expensive ones are better (duh) but are they worth the extra money in terms of performance increase I would expect compared to the cheaper ones?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CODE=YAHOODF&cm_mmc_o=QztBBCjCVRqCjCVRqCjCVRq

http://www.compusa.com/applications...?EdpNo=3507889&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...?EdpNo=3797705&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Or if anyone would recommend a better alternative to these in the $200ish and cheaper price range that would be able to last me a decent while I would much appreciate it.

If that is your price range, my recommendation would be this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102760

It's Sapphire's 4850 model that is using a slightly improved HS/Fan combination. It will outperform all of the cards listed there as well, although in a few cases the 9800 GTX will match it.

Edit - Linked wrong one, sorry.

Wallach said:
If that is your price range, my recommendation would be this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102760

It's Sapphire's 4850 model that is using a slightly improved HS/Fan combination. It will outperform all of the cards listed there as well, although in a few cases the 9800 GTX will match it.

Edit - Linked wrong one, sorry.

I was trying to go for an Nvidia chipset since I was going to go for an Intel processor/motherboard and as I understand it Sli is only possible with Intel/Nvidia while crossfire is AMD/ATI.

Do you recommend I go with AMD/ATI instead? If so what reasons if I may ask?

Wallach

MisterAnderson said:
I was trying to go for an Nvidia chipset since I was going to go for an Intel processor/motherboard and as I understand it Sli is only possible with Intel/Nvidia while crossfire is AMD/ATI.

Do you recommend I go with AMD/ATI instead? If so what reasons if I may ask?

Well, that's partially right. SLI is nVidia and CrossfireX is ATI. However, there are SLI and Crossfire boards for both Intel and AMD processors, so your processor choice is not directly tied to that.

I personally think the price/performance of the current cards sides with ATI right now. I wouldn't, however, recommend an AMD processor (even though I use one of them in one of my rigs) because quite frankly the Intel C2D and C2Q lines really do stomp them pretty hard.

My recommendation would be to get an LGA 775 board (Intel's socket) that is compatible with CrossfireX, grab a 4850 for now, then add a second 4850 down the line when you can afford it if you are still interested in going that route.

Wallach said:
Well, that's partially right. SLI is nVidia and CrossfireX is ATI. However, there are SLI and Crossfire boards for both Intel and AMD processors, so your processor choice is not directly tied to that.

I personally think the price/performance of the current cards sides with ATI right now. I wouldn't, however, recommend an AMD processor (even though I use one of them in one of my rigs) because quite frankly the Intel C2D and C2Q lines really do stomp them pretty hard.

My recommendation would be to get an LGA 775 board (Intel's socket) that is compatible with CrossfireX, grab a 4850 for now, then add a second 4850 down the line when you can afford it if you are still interested in going that route.

I just typed in "LGA 775" into newegg to see what would show up and there seems to be a big margin of price range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=LGA+775+&x=0&y=0

I really don't know much about motherboards so anymore help with this I would really appreciate.

Wallach

MisterAnderson said:
I just typed in "LGA 775" into newegg to see what would show up and there seems to be a big margin of price range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=LGA+775+&x=0&y=0

I really don't know much about motherboards so anymore help with this I would really appreciate.

Which particular processor are you looking at? Or are you undecided on that as of yet? Also, what kind of price range are you looking at for your CPU/Mobo together?

Blackface

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
I was thinking about getting this I suppose, or something around it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

And I guess whatever mobo would go best with it and the video card I choose.

I run an E8400 and a EVGA 750I FTW SLI motherboard. It might be a bit pricey for you, not sure what price range you want a motherboard for. However it's one of the most solid setups I have ever had, and a great overclocker. Never had an issue with it, and I am running my E8400 @ 4.0ghz 1.24V.

Tarin02543

I realise this isn't a problem solving thread but I was hoping you technical savvy people could help me out. Lately my computer has been problems with the power on/off switch.

basically this amounts to following events:

1) When I click on "shut down", windows boots down and the computer turns off by itself normally. The problem is however that my hdd led indicator keeps flashing, I can hear the hdd still spinning and making clicking noises.

This only stops when I kill power completely with the master switch at the back.

2) I am unable to power on my computer when I haven't taken the previous step ie. I press the power button while the hdd led is flashing and nothing happens.

Only when the pc has been turned off completely (no standby) for at least 3 hours I can get it to work. This means I enable the masterswitch at the back, the hdd starts clicking and I press the powerbutton at the front.

3) My computer clock does not work anymore. When I need to view secured websites I always have to manually set to date. This means it is always 2002 when I start up my computer.

I have a feeling it's got something to do with my PSU but I'm not sure. Can anyone help please?

Trax416 said:
I run an E8400 and a EVGA 750I FTW SLI motherboard. It might be a bit pricey for you, not sure what price range you want a motherboard for. However it's one of the most solid setups I have ever had, and a great overclocker. Never had an issue with it, and I am running my E8400 @ 4.0ghz 1.24V.

Can I ask what video card you run with that setup?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Alright guys, I need your help since I've been out of touch with the newest PC technology since getting a PS3. My dad's coworker asked me to build him the best PC I can for under $2000, problem is that I don't know what and what isn't considered the best anymore. I guess I'm mainly looking for the best CPU and GPU for the price on the market. Any help would be appreciated!

otake

Tarin02543 said:
I realise this isn't a problem solving thread but I was hoping you technical savvy people could help me out. Lately my computer has been problems with the power on/off switch.

basically this amounts to following events:

1) When I click on "shut down", windows boots down and the computer turns off by itself normally. The problem is however that my hdd led indicator keeps flashing, I can hear the hdd still spinning and making clicking noises.

This only stops when I kill power completely with the master switch at the back.

2) I am unable to power on my computer when I haven't taken the previous step ie. I press the power button while the hdd led is flashing and nothing happens.

Only when the pc has been turned off completely (no standby) for at least 3 hours I can get it to work. This means I enable the masterswitch at the back, the hdd starts clicking and I press the powerbutton at the front.

3) My computer clock does not work anymore. When I need to view secured websites I always have to manually set to date. This means it is always 2002 when I start up my computer.

I have a feeling it's got something to do with my PSU but I'm not sure. Can anyone help please?

It's most likely a PSU issue but to make sure you can burn a linux live cd, boot it then shutdown. if the problem shows up, you know it's not a windows thing but a hardware problem. if the problem didn't show, it's a windows thing.

or you could replace the PSU see if the problem persist.

but really, it most likely is a power supply issue. worse case; motherboard issue.

otake

GSG Flash said:
Alright guys, I need your help since I've been out of touch with the newest PC technology since getting a PS3. My dad's coworker asked me to build him the best PC I can for under $2000, problem is that I don't know what and what isn't considered the best anymore. I guess I'm mainly looking for the best CPU and GPU for the price on the market. Any help would be appreciated!

cpu; core 2 duos
gpu; radeon 4850.

ctalamode

Neo Member
Hi, everyone. I have about a $150 - $200 budget to update my PC. What is the most important thing for me to update, and what should I update it with? I'm pretty new at this.
Here's my PC now:

-- Intel Dual Core 1.8 Ghz
-- 1 GB Ram
-- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE

If there's anything else I should post, just let me know. Thanks!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
ctalamode said:
Hi, everyone. I have about a $150 - $200 budget to update my PC. What is the most important thing for me to update, and what should I update it with? I'm pretty new at this.
Here's my PC now:

-- Intel Dual Core 1.8 Ghz
-- 1 GB Ram
-- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE

If there's anything else I should post, just let me know. Thanks!
You probably need to start from scratch. New mobo and new PSU are required. I'd say you save up some more money.

ctalamode

Neo Member
Teetris said:
You probably need to start from scratch. New mobo and new PSU are required. I'd say you save up some more money.

That's too bad... but... what is a mobo and a PSU? Sorry.

Thanks for your quick answer, by the way.

bee

Teetris said:

how did you come to that conclusion? sounds like he's running a e2160 cpu which is fine, just upgrade the ram to 2gb and get a new graphics card, 8800gt maybe. should be able to easily do that on that budget

rabhw

Anyone have some good case recommendations for moderate overclocking? When I bought my rig, I wanted it to be as quiet as possible on air, so I went with the NZXT Hush. It sounded like a good idea at the time, but now I regret it because the case is so small and has such poor airflow that I have to run my GPU and CPU fan at 100% all the time to keep things at a reasonable temperature, which defeats the purpose of having bought this case at all.

I'd like to be able to push my Q6600 to ~3.0 if I can. I already have a Tuniq Tower installed, but because it's so huge it's actually restricting airflow and causing more problems than it is helping right now. My CPU (Q6600 G0) cores idle at around 40-43, while my GPU (8800 Ultra) idles at around 63-65.

So yeah, any nice case recommendations? I'd like to stick to Mid-ATX if possible.

Edit: Budget is about 150-175 Canadian.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
bee said:
how did you come to that conclusion? sounds like he's running a e2160 cpu which is fine, just upgrade the ram to 2gb and get a new graphics card, 8800gt maybe. should be able to easily do that on that budget
Oh yeah of course. I'm currently with the E8400 and 4850 in my head the whole time so I forgot he could just upgrade to older parts.

Full specs would be nice. Mobo is motherboard, PSU is that thing that powers your PC.

ctalamode

Neo Member
bee said:

Okay, thanks. Would I need to get a new power source or fan or anything to make that work?

bee

ctalamode said:
Okay, thanks. Would I need to get a new power source or fan or anything to make that work?

its hard to say without knowing exactly what you have, you certainly wont need a fan.

for the power supply you need to open the case and have a look at the sticker on the side, you need max wattage and see if it has a ampage rating for the 12v line, maybe it will look like +12v 22A for example

perhaps run these two programs and take a screenshot of each and post them on here

cpu-z

gpuz

if its all ok then get something like this

2gb memory

graphics card

$127 after mail in rebates

Top Bottom