• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakncoke

Banned
In related Pirates news the corner piece of the Jason Bay trade aka Bryan Morris is in AA and was pushed into the bullpen.

harSon

Banned
eznark said:
Totally, just impeccable timing (and from a sportsGAF regular like harSon...for shame!)

To be fair, I only participate in the NFL thread, and I made a few posts here in the very beginning of the season, when it seemed unlikely that they'd even get close to .500

Edit: And Pittsburgh's in first place!

eznark

Banned
harSon said:
To be fair, I only participate in the NFL thread, and I made a few posts here in the very beginning of the season, when it seemed unlikely that they'd even get close to .500

I'll cut you some slack because of Katrina and all.

harSon

Banned
eznark said:
I'll cut you some slack because of Katrina and all.

For sure!

And 1st place is likely going to be short lived. If we come out of July at, or relatively near the top of the division, then I'll be a true believer. VS. Reds and Cards & @ Braves and Phillies is going to be brutal

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
pirates schedule going forward

sjHY7.png

marrec

Banned
harSon said:
For sure!

And 1st place is likely going to be short lived. If we come out of July at, or relatively near the top of the division, then I'll be a true believer. VS. Reds and Cards & @ Braves and Phillies is going to be brutal

If we can come out .500 after that stretch I'll poop my pants.

Nice of the Brewers to just roll over and fucking die tonight. I can't live in a world where my team allows the fucking Pittsburgh Pirates to become division leader.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
yankeehater said:
Fixed.

Oh well at least it will be a good NLCS this year.
Well, Florida is legitimately bad, but I think the Mets and Nationals would have better records if they played in the other divisions. Small sample size alert, but the Nationals are 13-20 against the East, and 25-20 against the other divisions. Mets are 15-16 and 22-21, respectively. Actually, shit, Florida is 12-19 against the East and 24-20 against the Central and West.

Side note: NL East interleague record: 44-37. NL East best division in baseball confirmed.

Cathcart

The Frankman said:
John Mayberry batting, likes the ball away and can be tied up in
That was true when he first came up. He's opened up his stance a bit and has since been hitting just about anything. 9 RBI in his last 2 games. Hope he keeps it up, would be nice to have another right handed batter in the lineup.

nocode

vas_a_morir said:
I was at the game tonight... it was the first time I had ever been to a game with a walk-off home run. Brandon is the man.

Ah man, those are amazing. I've been to a couple, but Beltran's walk off in the 16th inning a few years back tops the list. We had migrated down to the 10th row behind first base at that point. Great times, haha.

Cathcart said:
That was true when he first came up. He's opened up his stance a bit and has since been hitting just about anything. 9 RBI in his last 2 games. Hope he keeps it up, would be nice to have another right handed batter in the lineup.
Doesn't change the fact that his powerzone is away. He should at least be thrown inside once or twice an AB to get him thinking in. I've never understood the philosophy of not pitching inside/changing eye levels.

In short, Josh Thole is a bad gamecaller.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
You mean trade for help or trade him?
He'll want the Pirates to actually make a move to bolster their team for the stretch run. When the Pirates refuse to take on salary and actually trade away people he'll want out.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
He would probably demand Reyes so they could begin filming Predators 2 in the offseason.

As a Mets I can live with trading him to the Pirates.

Bud Selig would instantly veto any Reyes trade to the Pirates though, because Reyes + McCutchen on the same team is simply too much swag for any one city to take.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
He would probably demand Reyes so they could begin filming Predators 2 in the offseason.
From a world where baseball players crave the biggest paycheck, a world where a super agent tries to take over the world one free agent at a time, Comes Predator 2: End of the Seven-Year Contracts!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
As NFL and NBA face labor issues, MLB expects no problem in renewing their CBA by December deadline:

PHOENIX -- The topic is baseball labor, and we're discussing it way up here atop Page 2 because it's not front-page news, at least for now. That space is reserved for the labor headaches in the NFL and NBA.

Baseball labor lawyers, who in the past were all about seeing who could talk the most trash, are at peace, both sides say, and the game hasn't been shut down since the 1994-95 players' strike.

The collective bargaining agreement expires Dec. 11, and nobody seems to think there's any chance for a stoppage, even a short one. In fact, Major League Baseball Players Association chief Michael Weiner spoke to members of the Baseball Writers Association of America this week about a new deal by the end of the World Series, if only so labor talks don't stall free agency.

"The opportunity that our bargaining presents in contrast to what's happening in the other sports is one that both sides recognize - an opportunity to keep the game going, improve the game and improve the institutions through collective bargaining," Weiner said.

"In those other sports, management's position was for massive givebacks from the players, and that's going to lead to a very difficult and protracted negotiation."

Baseball owners long ago gave up on a salary cap. The issues are more about tweaking what already greatly benefits both sides, which have been meeting weekly since early April.

Matters such as realignment (15 teams per league, five teams per division, which would be fairer than the current alignment) and playoff expansion (one more team in each league) aren't deal breakers.

But the designated hitter is a stickler, considering that interleague games would have to be played daily with two 15-team leagues.

Commissioner Bud Selig said he likes how the leagues handle the designated hitter differently, while Weiner would be open to DH standardization, which would provide more high-paying gigs for players.

Revenue sharing and the draft will be re-examined, but nothing is expected to put off a new CBA. Or make it a front-page story.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
According to Jeff Zrebiec https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiecsun, JJ Hardy has signed a 3 year extension with the O's roughly 3/22 with a limited no-trade clause.

Honestly shocked he signed that extension. Was easily putting himself in position as the consolation prize to the teams that lost out on Reyes, and that would have been for way more than 3/22.

Not sure why anybody would want to stick around on the O's for 3 years either.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The Frankman said:
He'll want the Pirates to actually make a move to bolster their team for the stretch run. When the Pirates refuse to take on salary and actually trade away people he'll want out.
aN3gy.jpg

harSon

Banned
If the Pirates do a fire sale while in contention for a winning season/the division, I will slit my wrist and hang myself.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Blue Jays are notorious in their shenanigans involving stealing signs. More so than any other team in baseball. It's something that's been whispered about them for a really long time, at least since 2005 http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250720114 for example.

I'm not saying where there is smoke there is fire, but Girardi isn't the first one in baseball to question what the Blue Jays have been doing and he's definitely not going to be the last guy either. KLaw on Twitter said that there's been rumblings for years from other teams about the Jays stealing signs and he used to work for them (says he wouldn't know if it happened while he was there).

I'm in the camp that stealing signs while on the field is totally cool and should be done more often. Stealing signs with cameras and dudes in the outfield with binoculars? That's some Spygate ridiculous shenanigans that has no place in the game.

Doytch

darkside31337 said:
Blue Jays are notorious in their shenanigans involving stealing signs. More so than any other team in baseball. It's something that's been whispered about them for a really long time, at least since 2005 http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250720114 for example.

I'm not saying where there is smoke there is fire, but Girardi isn't the first one in baseball to question what the Blue Jays have been doing and he's definitely not going to be the last guy either. KLaw on Twitter said that there's been rumblings for years from other teams about the Jays stealing signs and he used to work for them (says he wouldn't know if it happened while he was there).

I'm in the camp that stealing signs while on the field is totally cool and should be done more often. Stealing signs with cameras and dudes in the outfield with binoculars? That's some Spygate ridiculous shenanigans that has no place in the game.
loooooool

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't really care either way, Garcia and Colon got rocked because they're Garcia and Colon. It's just the notion that somehow Girardi is a sore loser and totally made this up out of the blue is what I find silly considering the fact that there are other organizations in baseball who think the Jays do fishy things up in Toronto and not just that they're Canadians.

And I can't stand Girardi or the scumbag Yankees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom