• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
Just saw the slide, that was some bush league bullshit at its finest. These teams meet again this year? Hopefully that scrub Costanza takes one in the back.

What? "Bush league" implies intent. Was Geoff Jenkins "bush league" when he idiotically did the same thing and snapped his own leg in half?

Dude was clearly out of control going into the bag, he didn't intentionally spike anyone.

Doytch

So, I've been messing around with an idea for an iPhone (maybe Android eventually) app, but I could use a little crowd-sourcing to make sure it's fully viable.

If you have any pictures you took with your iPhone (or Android [or hell, WinMo]) at a baseball park, of the field or players, I'd be hugely appreciative if you could send any my way. Wide angle, from high up is great, as are shots from closer to the field. They're all useful for me. Or if you take any in the future, that'd be awesome also.

What I'd use them for is to figure out if the image quality (resolution) and detail (# of players, ballpark surroundings) would be enough to figure out which park a photo was taken at, and what position each person in the photo is playing (using image processing, natch.)

So yeah, if you've got any you can kick my way, up it on imgur.com and PM the links pretty please.

Dragon

Banned
I'm trying to find a good .GIF of Nunez waiting until after he passes second base to actually start his slide into Pedroia, which I think is pretty bush league.

Sanjuro

TheBranca18 said:
I'm trying to find a good .GIF of Nunez waiting until after he passes second base to actually start his slide into Pedroia, which I think is pretty bush league.
I don't remember him doing this, but I easily could have missed this.

Anyway, is there any prospect closer the Yankees have they can bring up at this point? Clearly Rivera has worn out his welcome in New York. They also need to get Posada back into the lineup. He is the personal catcher of grit.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Para bailar La Bomba said:
Here's an analogy:

Osama Bin Laden = Philanthropist, Bobby Parnell = Major League closer.

11.0 K/9, 3.08 xFIP on the season. He's a solid arm that's been through a bad spell of bad luck lately.

Could do a lot worse than that at closer. The Mets have already been doing so through Izzy.

Dragon

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I don't remember him doing this, but I easily could have missed this.

Anyway, is there any prospect closer the Yankees have they can bring up at this point? Clearly Rivera has worn out his welcome in New York. They also need to get Posada back into the lineup. He is the personal catcher of grit.

It was Friday night's game.

10zz21s.png

Hard to really tell from that angle but it's the best one NESN gives.

Sanjuro

Here is the exact opposite of Yankee fans.

Yankee fans bitching about Rivera. He is the best/one of the best relievers of all time, still effective.

Red Sox fans bitching about Varitek. IN FULL FORCE this morning on the radio. The host, "What are you guys bitching about?! We are in first place!" Argument doesn't apply. I've seen pop-ups since I was a kid...there is nothing unique or special about them. That is all Varitek can do.

Sanjuro

TheBranca18 said:
It was Friday night's game.

Hard to really tell from that angle but it's the best one NESN gives.
Yeah, that angle doesn't really show me much. Looks like he is in mid-slide there. I only caught some of the last few innings of the game from the pub due to working late.

Pedroia is at the bag though, which in most cases I have no problem with. The only time I'm against sliding into the second baseman is when he is attempting to avoid the runner and the runner goes well outside to still try and nail him. That is bush league IMO.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Para bailar La Bomba said:
WHIP 1.556

A product of his .373 BABIP more than anything.

Quite honestly I don't give a crap who the closer is as it doesn't mean anything. The bullpen needs an overhaul next season anyway, and whether Parnell is the 7th, 8th or 9th inning guy I don't really care since it doesn't really matter, I think he's a good arm who will be great for us long term.

darkside31337 said:
A product of his .373 BABIP more than anything.

Quite honestly I don't give a crap who the closer is as it doesn't mean anything. The bullpen needs an overhaul next season anyway, and whether Parnell is the 7th, 8th or 9th inning guy I don't really care since it doesn't really matter, I think he's a good arm who will be great for us long term.

Actually I just looked up his numbers in save situations, not too shabby. The bullpen has needed an overhaul for the last 4 years. I have faith it'll be in better shape next year, when they have a bit more financial flexibility (billion dollar judgment against, notwithstanding).

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Heyward with a xBABIP of .433 (constanza's babip) = 178 wRC+ lol. 2nd behind Bautista.

also, Heyward .929 ops in August.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:
Heyward with a xBABIP of .433 (constanza's babip) = 178 wRC+ lol. 2nd behind Bautista.

Wait he's actually played in August? How many AB's is that .929 based on? 5 ABs?

Windu

darkside31337 said:
Wait he's actually played in August? How many AB's is that .929 based on? 5 ABs?
14 whole PAs! if we are going to use small sample sizes for Constanza, might as well use them for heyward.

Windu

eznark said:
NL Central sigh

edit: well, i guess its not that, the Mets, marlins, and nationals are under .500 again....but they would be in third place in the nl central.

Macattk15

darkside31337 said:
Jesus christ.

I've never seen anybody whine so much that their team is an atrocious 69-44. The Yankees might as well just stay home in October, why waste everyone's time? They obviously have no chance of winning the World Series now that they are in 2nd place in the division at the beginning of August.

Try being a Mets fan for a week and see how awful it truly to root for a team that actually sucks.

Or a Mariner fan. Feels bad man.

Wish I had a shitty 69-44 2nd place team(1st in the WC).

alstein

Windu said:

Hard to get BABIP when your hitting the ball into the ground and have a huge cold zone.

Heyward's made plenty of his own bad luck this year.

Windu

alstein said:
Hard to get BABIP when your hitting the ball into the ground and have a huge cold zone.

Heyward's made plenty of his own bad luck this year.
still, his xBABIP is around .315 or so. Compared to .243 something it is now. Injuries plus bad luck = heyward's season.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Lambtron said:
Just in time for their annual collapse!

Who can even catch them? The only team with a shot are the Indians.

It's amazing what coaching / running a team in the AL Central does for your tenure. You could make dumb decision after dumb decision and still survive because everybody else in your division is even dumber.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:

That insurmountable 4 games back with 50 to play. Indians should probably start seeing who will clear waivers.

mernst23

darkside31337 said:

It's amazing what coaching / running a team in the AL Central does for your tenure. You could make dumb decision after dumb decision and still survive because everybody else in your division is even dumber.

Could just be because the entire AL Central is terrible minus Justin Verlander? But the indians are 4 back and the white sox are 5.5 back, you haven't won anything yet.

mernst23

ToxicAdam said:
Tigers and Indians play 3 this week. Could be a big swing in the race if one team gets swept.

Hell at the end of series it could be

Tigers
Cleve 1 GB
Chicago 2.5 GB

Detroit fans should be getting this playoff tickets now.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
darkside31337 said:
I am looking forward to another 15 years with Bill Smith at the helm.

Shoot me in the face.

eznark said:
What? "Bush league" implies intent. Was Geoff Jenkins "bush league" when he idiotically did the same thing and snapped his own leg in half?

Dude was clearly out of control going into the bag, he didn't intentionally spike anyone.
Then perhaps I misinterpreted the meaning of the phrase bush league. I've always grouped "idiotic and inexperienced" underneath the meaning of the phrase, which was what I thought of the situation. Of course I don't think the guy meant to spike Murphy, he was just called up! Not the smartest way to make a name for yourself.

h3ro

I guess I'm in the minority of Yanks-age when I say that I'm not going nuts after this weekend. We played the Sox tough and sucks how we lost last night, but shit happens and it's only August. You'd think we were 7 back of the WC or something judging by some of the responses in here. Retardi handled the Posada thing great. Dude doesn't have anything left. We were playing great prior to this series and we still haven't gotten this guy back yet...

A9h60.jpg

:D

Evil Empire doesn't concede shit.

Enron

Banned
Not worried much about Heyward. More worried about Lowe.

It's too bad someone doesn't have a Frank Wren/Freddi Gonzalez/Hookers/Nazi Clown/Circus Animal sextape that we could use to get Lowe out and Teheren in.

Toth

h3ro said:
I guess I'm in the minority of Yanks-age when I say that I'm not going nuts after this weekend. We played the Sox tough and sucks how we lost last night, but shit happens and it's only August. You'd think we were 7 back of the WC or something judging by some of the responses in here. Retardi handled the Posada thing great. Dude doesn't have anything left. We were playing great prior to this series and we still haven't gotten this guy back yet...

A9h60.jpg

:D

Evil Empire doesn't concede shit.

Well cooler heads are prevailing today and I am over my whining from last today. ESPN Radio today is really painting the weekend for the Yankees in a positive light though. And you can't really blame Girardi for the weekend either. He pushed the right buttons but they fizzled out on him.

They're both three million games into a playoff berth, so I don't even know what there is to discuss right now. This weekend we learned that they play each other close and take for-fucking-ever. Who knew!

Windu

august is just a minor bump in the road. I still anticipate a rematch between the giants and braves.

mernst23 said:
Hell at the end of series it could be

Tigers
Cleve 1 GB
Chicago 2.5 GB

Detroit fans should be getting this playoff tickets now.

LOL! Whoever wins this so called division will be eliminated in the first round and perhaps even swept.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
sly2thefox said:
LOL! Whoever wins this so called division will be eliminated in the first round and perhaps even swept.

Anything can happen in the playoffs. I'm not sure how many times teams nobody expected to advance through the 1st round and end up winning the WS it takes for people to get that.

I will not doubt a team's ability to win a best of 5 series when Justin Verlander is taking the hill for 2 of those 5 starts.

On a side note, Rangers DFA'd Arthur Rhodes. Guess that bullpen makeover is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom