• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
EmzIW.jpg

EmzIW.jpg

I'm more than willing to talk smack from last place, change is finally in the air. We're coming for you MLB book it

I still have faith in Moose. He took a minute to come online in NWA and Omaha, too.

All we need are some starters on the mound. This bullpen, offense and defense is ready to rock.

Dragon

Banned
56 game hitting streak the most overrated record in baseball history. It's criminal that Joe D won the MVP when Ted Williams won the triple crown that year. Williams also hit for a higher average during the streak than DiMaggio.

Doytch

Yeah, I remember most scouts were saying that Moustakas probably isn't gonna be an impact right away, since it takes him a while to get used to changes. That history of adapting would make me more likely to believe he'd succeed in the majors even before coming up.

TheBranca18 said:
56 game hitting streak the most overrated record in baseball history. It's criminal that Joe D won the MVP when Ted Williams won the triple crown that year. Williams also hit for a higher average during the streak than DiMaggio.
Amen.

Sharp

TheBranca18 said:
Except that DiMaggio had an even longer hit streak in the minors--this was probably more than just luck. As Tom Tango said, it's possible that a few exceptional hitters may be able to accomplish things that, were they truly random, scarcely seem possible. No, this doesn't apply to Ryan Howard, whoever keeps posting about him.

clemenx

Banned
I don't agree that the streak is overrated but the Ted Williams snub for the MVP is rage inducing, come on. His season numbers were BETTER than Di Maggio's numbers during the streak.

Sharp said:
Except that DiMaggio had an even longer hit streak in the minors--this was probably more than just luck. As Tom Tango said, it's possible that a few exceptional hitters may be able to accomplish things that, were they truly random, scarcely seem possible. No, this doesn't apply to Ryan Howard, whoever keeps posting about him.
Doesn't change the fact that hitting .400 is much more impressive.

Sharp

CajoleJuice said:
Doesn't change the fact that hitting .400 is much more impressive.
I think they're both extremely impressive, but hitting .400 had been done before... and it's not like Ted Williams was hurting for MVPs.

Dragon

Banned
So a guy with a lower career batting average than other players like Williams and Cobb has a "skill" to hit in consecutive games? Dan Uggla is proving you don't have to be an exceptional hitter to have a long streak. I don't see how it's anything but luck.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
His larger point is why does it matter that he got at least 1 hit every game for 56 games? It's just stupid to care about like most streaks.

Dan Uggla is hitting .345 or whatever it is now over his 31 game hit streak. That's good. If he did that over a 31 game stretch and failed to get a hit in one of those games, but picked up 1 more hit in some other game, does that make his performance over the those 31 games any worse? It simply doesn't.

Williams utterly destroyed him even during the streak. He was a much better player all season long, it's really not even debatable. Williams lost an MVP out of the sheer novelty of the streak.

Sharp

TheBranca18 said:
So a guy with a lower career batting average than other players like Williams and Cobb has a "skill" to hit in consecutive games? Dan Uggla is proving you don't have to be an exceptional hitter to have a long streak. I don't see how it's anything but luck.
The odds of a thirty game streak are tremendously higher than the odds of a fifty-six game streak. And DiMaggio did it twice. Yes, Williams deserved the MVP that year, but arguing that the streak itself wasn't impressive is silly.

Sanjuro

Lambtron said:
So hey Branca, tonight's HP ump is pretty shitty too eh?
Last night the ump squeezed Bedard in the first because he was erratic for sure. Other than that no problems, Bedard composed himself well after.

Dragon

Banned
Lambtron said:
So hey Branca, tonight's HP ump is pretty shitty too eh?
It's better than last night. Lester is pretty inconsistent anyway so can't get too upset. Besides the Ortiz at bat it hasn't been awful. Blackburn is pitching well surprisingly.

Dragon

Banned
Sharp said:
The odds of a thirty game streak are tremendously higher than the odds of a fifty-six game streak. And DiMaggio did it twice. Yes, Williams deserved the MVP that year, but arguing that the streak itself wasn't impressive is silly.
Going back to darkside's point. It's impressive that Uggla is hitting .345 in the last 31 games. No matter how the hits are distributed per game. I'm by no means trying to say anything bad about Joe DiMaggio.

I feel it's like how I think there are less players that have hit for the cycle than no hitters but people go bananas over no hitters more. Just strange. Not to say as a kid I didn't love when Nomar had a 30+ hitting streak as a rookie.

Sharp

Ninja Scooter said:
Is it because he's an elite defender?
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.
TheBranca18 said:
Going back to darkside's point. It's impressive that Uggla is hitting .345 in the last 31 games. No matter how the hits are distributed per game. I'm by no means trying to say anything bad about Joe DiMaggio.

I feel it's like how I think there are less players that have hit for the cycle than no hitters but people go bananas over no hitters more. Just strange. Not to say as a kid I didn't love when Nomar had a 30+ hitting streak as a rookie.
I don't understand why you keep equating 30 game streaks with a streak that's almost twice as long... or why you think it's the same situation as hitting for the cycle vs. a no-hitter when the 56-game streak is quite obviously rarer than hitting .400. Again, it's not about how good he was as a hitter, but about the impressiveness of the streak itself. Whether it means something to his team or not, it clearly meant something to him--it's hard to explain his ability to generate such streaks otherwise.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
TheBranca18 said:
Besides the Ortiz at bat it hasn't been awful. Blackburn is pitching well surprisingly.
His call of a strike out on the check swing by Plouffe was pretty shitty. Don't worry, Blackburn will shit all over himself before too long. I turned over to Man vs. Food to try to win another shirt, I'm expecting a 5 run deficit before I tune back in.

TheBranca18 said:
I feel it's like how I think there are less players that have hit for the cycle than no hitters but people go bananas over no hitters more. Just strange.
They also go ape shit for 3000 hits, but not 600 homers.

Sanjuro

Hit streaks are meaningless sometimes. Williams had a quote along the lines of he could go 1-6 and still have a streak...realfuckingneato.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Tomahawk Chop was cool until the Braves ripped it off.

It's actually awesome at Seminole games (when they're good).

It is never cool when the Braves do it.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Lambtron, RI episode is tonight! I've gotten to nine weiners on the Olneyville challenge.
I would crush that triple murder burger. My wife would go nuts for the mushroom & spinach pie. That thing pretty much had her 4 favorite foods on it.

Cathcart

I used to like the Braves back when they were in the west, it was kind of hard not to like that pitching staff and they were always on cable. Plus they were nice enough to lose to the Phillies in the '93 NLCS (until Joe Carter stole the signs from the man in white and ruined what should have been the bestest season of baseball ever).

Anyway, back then I used to like the Chop because I knew it annoyed the shit out of everyone who didn't like the Braves because it seriously is, as a wise man once said*, the worst fucking thing ever invented.

* a few posts ago

Sanjuro

Lambtron said:
I would crush that triple murder burger. My wife would go nuts for the mushroom & spinach pie. That thing pretty much had her 4 favorite foods on it.
I didn't see the episode yet just the preview, but I'm pretty sure the burger is Haven Brothers. Used to purposely get "lost" downtown to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom