• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
2011-07-15-Who-Wins-With-Beltran.jpg

Should someone nursing a stomach virus be chewing? Cameras panned over Lincecum spitting into a cup a few minutes ago. I'd think that make somebody battling nausea...well, nauseous.

eznark

Banned
Corran Horn said:
[IMhttp://www.sflunaticfringe.com/comics/2011-07-15-Who-Wins-With-Beltran.jpg[/IMG]

jesus that is awful

Watching the Pirates game. Cannot believe (yes I can) the Pirates announcers are still vehemently anti-replay.

Fuck. Me.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Kinda curious how our OF will be. Im assuming it will be Ross/Scherholtz/Beltran but what about Torres :/

Anyone want Aaron Rowand? Just pay his bill! For free!

MLBTradeRumors said:
Beltran (pictured) is hitting .289/.391/.513 with 15 home runs in 419 plate appearances, in what has already become his healthiest season since 2008. Signed by the Mets to a seven-year, $119MM free agent contract before the 2005 season, Beltran's agent Scott Boras negotiated a clause preventing his team from offering arbitration at the deal's conclusion. Such an offer was no sure thing anyway, with Beltran earning $18.5MM this year. About $6.5MM of that remains, of which the Mets are assuming $4MM. Since Beltran has 10-and-5 rights, the trade will not become official until tomorrow. The Braves, Red Sox, Rangers, Indians, and Phillies had also been involved in trade talks for Beltran.

Wheeler was a big price to pay for two months of Beltran's services. The Giants' sixth overall pick in the 2009 draft, the hard-throwing righty has a 10.0 K/9 in High-A ball this year. The consensus among Keith Law, Baseball America, and Kevin Goldstein is that Wheeler is among the top 36 prospects in the game.

Also:
On the off-chance you missed it, the Blue Jays, Cardinals and White Sox announced a pair of major trades today. The Blue Jays acquired center fielder Colby Rasmus and pitchers Trever Miller, Brian Tallet, and P.J. Walters from the Cardinals for starter Edwin Jackson, relievers Marc Rzepczynski and Octavio Dotel, outfielder Corey Patterson, and three players to be named later or cash considerations. Before completing the deal with St. Louis, the Blue Jays acquired Jackson and third baseman Mark Teahen from the White Sox for reliever Jason Frasor and prospect Zach Stewart. Here’s reaction to the trades from around MLB. Be warned, Cardinals fans, you might not like what follows...

* The price the Cardinals paid to acquire Jackson and bullpen help was "just too high," according to ESPN.com's Keith Law, who suggests St. Louis' internal emphasis is on manager Tony La Russa, not the players. Law loves what Toronto did and doesn't understand Chicago's move.
* Jim Bowden of ESPN says the Cardinals had better win this year "or they will really regret this one." He calls St. Louis' move the "worst trade of the year" and gives the Blue Jays an 'A.'
* Joel Sherman of the New York Post confirms that the Cardinals turned down the Rays' offer of Jeff Niemann and J.P. Howell for Rasmus (Twitter link). Sherman suggests the Cardinals would have been better off accepting Tampa Bay's offer.
* A longtime scout tells ESPN.com’s Buster Olney that Rasmus has a chance to be a star. “I don't understand that deal at all," the scout said (Twitter link).
* Matthew Leach of MLB.com likes what the Cardinals got for 2011, but finds it hard to like the deal for St. Louis because of what it means for 2012-14 (Twitter link).
* Now that Rasmus and Carlos Beltran are off of the market, the list of teams with possible interest in B.J. Upton is taking shape, as Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times explains. The Braves, Indians, Nationals, Phillies, Pirates and Reds are possible destinations for Upton.
* As Matt Eddy of Baseball America explains, Walters should qualify for a fourth option year in 2012 and Rzepczynski "might be the prototype" pupil for Cards pitching coach Dave Duncan.
* Joe Pawlikowski of FanGraphs explains that it's easiest to see the trade from the Blue Jays' perspective, since they gave up three relievers and a prospect for a player who can help them contend for 2012-14.
* Tim Dierkes wrote earlier today that “it's hard to see this as anything but a win for the Blue Jays.”
* I agree with Tim and many of the others above- it’s a win for the Blue Jays. Let’s not forget how much has to be in place for this kind of deal to happen: a creative GM who reads the market well, payroll flexibility (for Teahen’s contract), willingness from ownership to take on salary, enough appealing prospects to be able to part with Stewart and enough bullpen depth to send three quality relievers packing on the same day. This trade doesn’t seem simple and in some ways it may actually be more complicated that it appears.
OUCH

Fenix

eznark said:
Not a single baseball writer quoted mentioned the draft picks, which were the point of the trade for the Cardinals? Weird.
1 sandwich pick? They'll get a pick for Jackson, Dotel will very likely accept arb.

Fenix

eznark said:
Neyer predicted 2 or 3 picks along with the 3 PTBNL's.
The PTBNL's being picks made this year? Otherwise, how does that work?

Or did he phrase it as "Jays lose 2 or 3 picks"? Cause they'll lose 1-2 to Chicago depending on if Frasor can work his way back to Type-A.

I have never seen a team whose approach at the plate with a runner on third goes completely to shit as I've seen with the Braves in the last two weeks.

Seriously, let them get a runner on third and you've got them where you want them.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
jakncoke said:
ib4 windu
we are playing some great atlanta braves baseball tonight!

also, gotta love the managing in this game. Bunting with one of your best hitters is a recipe for success!

JABEE

Jim Salisbury of CSNPhily.com is reporting that indications are that te Philies are willing to trade Domonic Brown for Hunter Pence. I'm not sure I like that deal.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
JABEE said:
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhily.com is reporting that indications are that te Philies are willing to trade Domonic Brown for Hunter Pence. I'm not sure I like that deal.

Heyman
#astros rejected philly's singleton, cosart and 3rd piece bid (@jaysonst had bid) for pence, #redsox, #braves tried, too.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
@JimBowdenESPNxm said:
If Braves were to trade for Pence, he'd play RF and not CF, Heyward would get optioned until Sept so he can get bat working again #TRADES
i think i'll start rooting for the mets if this happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom