• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keith Hernandez just talked about how usually he doesn't like to wear clothes...

Seriously, there is NO REASON not to listen to a Gary/Keith/Ron broadcast. Amazing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
XiaNaphryz said:
There's enough prospects in the system that could pan out. I wouldn't expect Cain or Lincecum going anywhere either, given how much payroll they'll have after Rowand and Zito are off the books, so just one or two guys developing to a starter would be enough.

Totally disagree. This is why they made the trade in the first place.

Sabean expects to lose at least one of the two guys, if not both.Beltran was the best guy on the market for a team exactly like that.

The Giants will have freed up salary when it comes to resign these guys. But ~50 million annually between the two guys on a long term (5+ year) basis? That's a ton of money to invest for any club not named the Yankees.

This also not counting that the majority of the Giants team is insanely old and not all that productive. The window for the current roster is really not all that big.

It's why I agree with the trade from the Giants perspective. Wheeler is still a long way from ever doing anything in the bigs.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
darkside31337 said:
But ~50 million annually between the two guys on a long term (5+ year) basis? That's a ton of money to invest for any club not named the Yankees.
They already did just that with Rowand and Zito. I'd much rather they put that money into Lincecum/Cain than any other free agent signing that doesn't involve the equivalent of a Barry Bonds 93 deal.

I agree that they have to go for it now, but am also saying the window may not be as shrinking as fast as people may think if they can hold on to the core of their rotation.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I hate Josh Thole as much as anybody else does, but you know sometimes it's the pitchers fault for sucking. Chris Capuano does a whole lot of sucking.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
my confidence in the braves management and front office is waning. Carlos Quentin? Ryan Ludwick? last time i checked, they play don't play CF. Acquiring a player to replace someone like Heyward (who is performing better than Prado btw) would be fucking stupid. DON"T DO IT!

If this is what you are after, forget it. Just go after a elite RH reliever.

edit: also i don't like the notion of getting a player and then figuring out where he will play. I have no confidence that Fredi is intelligent enough to actually use players correctly.

darkside31337 said:
I hate Josh Thole as much as anybody else does, but you know sometimes it's the pitchers fault for sucking. Chris Capuano does a whole lot of sucking.
Ever since end of May/early June he's been much better than his record indicates. He's definitely a solid #5 guy for the future.

Damn, David Wright is not only closer to the plate, he's quiet before the pitch now. He looks so much better approachwise.
clemenx said:
I hope Murphy can keep his hitting when playing 2B. I've always been a doubter about him playing everyday.
I think the Mets plan to have Turner play 2nd.

Keith said Murhp needs to practice his corner outfielder defense, would be interesting to see if he can improve.
and wtf Bay, cant hit anything away.

clemenx

Banned
I see. Well, I have less confidence on the ginger playing everyday despite this year. Plus we all remember the Murphails in the OF!

Also, fuck Bay. Wooo Duda!

LUCAS DUDA! YOU MAKING HALEY PROUD!!!

I don't want to be anything other than what I've been trying to be lately...
All I have to do is think of me and I have peace of mind...
I'm tired of looking 'round rooms wondering what I gotta do
Or who I'm supposed to be...
I don't want to be anything other than me!

There's a story I heardthe other day involving Beltran and Turner/Duda I'll mention when I get back. I'm so happy to hear the vets like R.A. Dickey and Chris Capuano heap praise on the man for his leadership role.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
WASHINGTON -- Reliever Drew Storen said Wednesday night that he wants to stay with the Nationals.

He has heard his name in trade rumors -- including one that had him going to the Twins for center fielder Denard Span. But a baseball source said that the Nationals are not willing to trade Storen for Span, who is currently on a rehab assignment after suffering a concussion in a home-plate collision in early June.
http://washington.nationals.mlb.com...tebook_id=22418162&vkey=notebook_was&c_id=was

Oh man. They saved Bill Smith from his own idiocy.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Joey Fox said:
Twins will be lucky to end up with Clippard instead :p
Then the Nats won't get Span, simple as that. People saying "Storen is too much to give up for Span" are severely misjudging how good Span is.

Macattk15

Square Triangle said:
Tigers had better fucking make something happen in the next couple days. Im tired of just relying on when Justin or Max pitch.

other_I_KnowThatFeelBro.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sorry but Capuano sucks. There is not a chance in hell he's in the rotation next season.

Manny Acosta-ing his team a win yet again. And no chance in hell he's on the team next season.

I didn't even have time to make a "Sucky Reliever Challenge" post...
Sorry but Capuano sucks. There is not a chance in hell he's in the rotation next season.
Judging a pitcher on a day when he doesn't have it isn't the best way to evaluate him. When a control pitcher has no control they're screwed. He'll be back.

Wickerman

Former Yankees pitcher Hideki Irabu has reportedly been found dead in his California home, according to several reports out of Japan that credit the Associated Press.

According to this story out of Japan, police are investigating the death as a possible suicide.

Irabu was 42.

Irabu played for the Yankees, Expos and Rangers, last pitching in the big leagues in 2002.

The Padres purchased his contract in 1997, but he refused to sign, saying he'd only play for the Yankees. The Padres eventually traded for Irabu's rights and signed him to a four-year deal worth $12.8 million. He played in six seasons int he big leagues and went 34-35 with a 5.15 ERA.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Wouldn't you off yourself if your MLB legacy was George Steinbrenner calling you a "fat pussy toad"?

or maybe he just wanted to get to hell faster so he could kick Steinbrenner's ass for all eternity in the afterlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom