• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
methodman said:
First time the phillies have lost two in a row since may 31st. No surprise. Cain and Lincecum >
baseballhowardtroll.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
lol at this comment on this Hunter Pence trade article:

Talk to me when they start passing out MVP’s and HOF inductions based on OPS.

Trendy stat categories that guys like Tim Kurkjian (and others) throw out to sound smart.

Ask any GM what year they would prefer from 2010 – Pence or Heyward and every GM would say Pence.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Ok, watching MLB Network right now, breaking down Dan Uggla's swing..

Can someone explain how a change-up down and away can be considered "Middle-in"? Is that where the ball hits the bat?

JABEE

Ken Rosenthal's Twitter said:
Sources: #Phillies making progress on Pence. Talks coming to a head. Story with @jonmorosi. http://t.co/iBeqU4c #tradedeadline #MLB

Rosenthal says the Astros don't want Brown, but want other young prospects. Phillies want a deal by Friday or would move on to try to get another hitter.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
ToxicAdam said:
Don't be so stingy, throw in Blackburn.
Oh, good point.

McCutcheon for Kubel/Blackburn/Dumatrait.

You get a left handed masher, an innings eater, and a LOOGY. Twins get some inexperienced outfielder.

methodman

Banned
Lambtron said:
McCutcheon for Kubel.

It took me a while to figure that one out :(

it's Andrew McCutchen, lol

Charlie Manuel about the sf giants said:
"We can beat them," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said. "I know we can. They're not in our head."

i think the giants are in your heads.

rc213 said:
Hopefully he takes some bad mojo with him.

Im was watching ch 4 news Fred R and he mention the following may be on the block:

Kuroda
Blake
and even Loney..

Loney can be traded...I take my chances with Rivera or recall Sands

rc213

sf2fanatic said:
Im was watching ch 4 news Fred R and he mention the following may be on the block:

Kuroda
Blake
and even Loney..

Loney can be traded...I take my chances with Rivera or recall Sands

Still think Kuroda and Carroll deserve a shot somewhere else. Blake and Furcal have been injury prone this year. Loney...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What in the world is Huntington doing?

I figure a GM without a contract going into next year would be desperate to win now but he seems completely oblivious that he's probably going to get fired unless they make the playoffs. Not saying he should make an Omar Minaya type of deal but he's literally showing no urgency at all.

Heyman
source: pence was told during last night's game he was being pulled due to trade, but then he wasnt pulled.

astros mid-game mind change on pence trade re-raises question about whether ownership wants to deal him

Looks like Wade is getting blocked by ownership.

Hunter Pence may be the face of your franchise, but him being the face of your franchise is exactly why you won't 60 games this season.

clemenx

Banned
Pirates plan has always been for 2012-13, I personally respect that Huntington he will be sticking to that, this year is an extreme outlier and they will be bad next year until the good pitching prospects arrive. He probably is lamenting that he can't trade Maholm and Correia like he probably planned when the Pirates were going to be bad this year.

Unless you believe Maholm and Karstens are this good which would be a dumb thing to believe. The only thing for real in that team are Walker and McCutchen, McDonald too. I'm on the fence on Morton.

Marleyman

Banned
clemenx said:
Pirates plan has always been for 2012-13, I personally respect that Huntington he will be sticking to that, this year is an extreme outlier and they will be bad next year until the good pitching prospects arrive. He probably is lamenting that he can't trade Maholm and Correia like he probably planned when the Pirates were going to be bad this year.

They are in it and can win the division this year. The pitching is solid enough; as long as the bats come around they can win. Adding a bat is exactly what they need to make that happen; part with a few prospects and give it a run.

clemenx said:
Unless you believe Maholm and Karstens are this good which would be a dumb thing to believe. The only thing for real in that team are Walker and McCutchen, McDonald too. I'm on the fence on Morton.

Maholm is solid but Karstens is pitching out of his ass. Walker, Cutch, McDonald, Hanrahan, the bullpen, and hopefully Tabata and Alvarez(I know he is looking bad but his potential is still there) form a nice nucleus of talent.

darkside31337 said:
What in the world is Huntington doing?

I figure a GM without a contract going into next year would be desperate to win now but he seems completely oblivious that he's probably going to get fired unless they make the playoffs. Not saying he should make an Omar Minaya type of deal but he's literally showing no urgency at all.

Heyman

Looks like Wade is getting blocked by ownership.

Hunter Pence may be the face of your franchise, but him being the face of your franchise is exactly why you won't 60 games this season.
Ownership said recently that Huntington would be with them for awhile, so I guess he's sticking to his plan. It would be good for them to add a bat though.

clemenx

Banned
Marleyman said:
They are in it and can win the division this year. The pitching is solid enough; as long as the bats come around they can win. Adding a bat is exactly what they need to make that happen; part with a few prospects and give it a run.

I agree on that, actually. Since the only stupid thing IMO that Huntington has done is keep playing Overbay, but I'm sure Pearce or Hague would be instantly better than him, I don't see why he just doesn't DFA him. I just don't agree with the Pirates trading any prospect unless they can clearly fleece someone.

Marleyman

Banned
clemenx said:
I agree on that, actually. Since the only stupid thing IMO that Huntington has done is keep playing Overbay, but I'm sure Pearce or Hague would be instantly better than him, I don't see why he just doesn't DFA him. I just don't agree with the Pirates trading any prospect unless they can clearly fleece someone.

Hurdle just recently put Overbay on notice, actually. Problem is, the options are fairly weak. They can still make a move for a Carlos Pena, Cuddyer or Kubel, Upton or Willingham and not have to give up THAT much. This is a business and the Pirates have a golden opportunity to make a lot of money and make a run at the division title by making a deal.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
So is Span + Gibson for Storen + Bernadina a legitimate rumor?

Mike Rizzo does like to trade for injured players.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Joey Fox said:
So is Span + Gibson for Storen + Bernadina a legitimate rumor?

Mike Rizzo does like to trade for injured players.
It better fucking not be.

1. I'm sincerely hoping the Span stuff is just Rizzo trying intently to get him. The Twins seriously have no good reason to trade him. Revere can't hold Span's jock at this point, and if the "braintrust" can't see that then they need to be removed immediately.
2. Trading Span, alone, for a relief pitcher and a center fielder who has accumulated less than one third the WAR Span accumulated in 2011 before being injured is boneheaded. Throwing in their top pitching prospect as well would be quite possibly the dumbest trade imaginable.
3. If they're trading Gibson, they need a top flight pitching prospect in return. If they're considering trading him at all, they should call the Rockies about Ubaldo Jimenez.
4. The fact that these rumors persist has me nauseous. The Twins do not have to trade Span. The Twins should not trade Span.
5. If Nationals fans think that they're not getting a coup if they get Span straight up for Storen, they're almost as moronic as Bill Smith.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
clemenx said:
I don't believe that for one second, why did they give away Francoeur then?
Probably a number of things. .352 SLG that year, Jason Heyward right on his heels, him whining about being sent down the year before.
The Braves offered a package that included prospects they didn’t offer to the Mets for Carlos Beltran, but the Astros turned the offer down, according to Stark. The Braves may be moving on, which would leave the Phillies as Pence’s primary suitor. The Red Sox, Reds, Pirates and Indians appear to have peeled off, according to Stark.
/cheer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom