• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official All-Pro Football 2k8 Neo-GAF Online League Thread: Rats off to ya!

BirdBomb said:
you cant create an nfl league because there arent enough teams and i dont think you can actually edit players.
I thought the preview said you could edit everything.

That would be really stupid if it were true. 2K Sports should have been practically advertising it as an alternative NFL game through the use of editing.

BirdBomb

Banned
well i think the only customization options you have are picking your legends then picking the type of generic players fill out the rest of your team. i dont even know if it has a create a player option, maybe im wrong on these though.

but i know they have come out and said dont buy this game if ur looking to make your own nfl because the team limit and customization limits make it impossible.

BirdBomb said:
well i think the only customization options you have are picking your legends then picking the type of generic players fill out the rest of your team. i dont even know if it has a create a player option, maybe im wrong on these though.

but i know they have come out and said dont buy this game if ur looking to make your own nfl because the team limit and customization limits make it impossible.
Why would they not let you create the NFL?

Aside from the gameplay, that should have been the first thing they went for, making sure it was possible to create a 100% accurate NFL.

BirdBomb

Banned
well for starters, ea and lawsuit.

secondly, its probably better to just distance yourself from the nfl if you cant 100% give the gamers the nfl. i mean, they cant really preview the game saying "we dont have the license but YOU can make your own nfl!!". to people who want the nfl, it would just make madden seem that much more attractive. so i guess they decided to stick to their guns and make the game truly different.

BirdBomb said:
well for starters, ea and lawsuit.

secondly, its probably better to just distance yourself from the nfl if you cant 100% give the gamers the nfl. i mean, they cant really preview the game saying "we dont have the license but YOU can make your own nfl!!". to people who want the nfl, it would just make madden seem that much more attractive. so i guess they decided to stick to their guns and make the game truly different.
A lawsuit couldn't happen. EA has never sued Konami for allowing full customization in Pro Evo.

I can see your second point, but you'd think the option would be there. At least for player editing. Like maybe you couldn't make the whole NFL, but you could make the 2006 Patriots if you wanted to.

bdoughty

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
A lawsuit couldn't happen. EA has never sued Konami for allowing full customization in Pro Evo.

I can see your second point, but you'd think the option would be there. At least for player editing. Like maybe you couldn't make the whole NFL, but you could make the 2006 Patriots if you wanted to.

Couldn't? You gotta be kididng me. Go look and see how many times the NFL has sued companies regarding it's property and the licenses.

Apparently you do not follow the goings on with the soccer genre. The FA premier has gone after PESFan and other sites that had roster files and threads with information on how to create such information.

------------------------ what you see at the PESFan forums ----------------------------
Editing (30 Viewing)
If you have edited your own players or are interested in editing players, teams and any other parts of PES6. Do not post any FA Premier League copyrighted material.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why go after Konami? They did nothing illegal, they are just letting you edit a game and not providing you with copyrighted data to do so. It's when people start creating and sharing copyrighted content, that the license holders are going to swoop in.

Now if you do not think EA is behind some of this, you are sorely mistaken. BOTH the FA premier and EA are protecting the license that gives them the full Premiership and only allows games like WE/PES to have two teams.

Green Shinobi said:
2K Sports should have been practically advertising it as an alternative NFL game through the use of editing.

No, they have not done that at all. They've actually been far more respectful than they legally need to be. I suspect they don't want to anger the NFL at all since they plan to be bidding on the license in a couple years.

Zep

Banned
Truelize said:
And both Bryan and Garnett were gushing about NCAA finally not being the "second tier" football game. And that Madden was playing amazingly well. These words do not bode well for this league.

you gotta be kidding me. Why would I care what they say? I trust nobody's opinion when it comes to sports games.

Shamrock

Banned
Green Shinobi said:

Bottom line is 2K is not trying to piss off the NFL because they want a chance at the license when the EA deal is done. Making a game where people can edit the game up to copy a licensed product would not help their cause.

Shamrock

Banned
Big Zep said:
you gotta be kidding me. Why would I care what they say? I trust nobody's opinion when it comes to sports games.

So wait? Game journalists are gushing about Madden/NCAA? Haven't they done that each of the last 2 years that Madden has sucked? What did they give Madden 06? a 8.5 was it?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Shamrock said:
Bottom line is 2K is not trying to piss off the NFL because they want a chance at the license when the EA deal is done. Making a game where people can edit the game up to copy a licensed product would not help their cause.

Wait till you hear some of the commentary in APF 2k8...

Rorschach

Matrix said:
Shit I wont be in any league if I dont get my 360 back >_<

DIE MS

Same here. :( Took me 3 weeks just to get the box and that was with help!

FrenchMovieTheme said:
they said 8-10 business days.
:lol I don't think so, dude. They are getting them by the truckload now and it takes a while.

bdoughty

Banned
vumpler said:
I don't know where you're going with this...

In one of the videos shown, the commentators make some remarks about how you will not see that in the "other league." I forget what they said exactly, but you get the point. To me it will be very bad news if you see a lot of commentary poking fun of the NFL and Madden. That would imply to me that 2ksports sees no way in hell that they will have a shot at the NFL license when it is up for renewal.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
That just implies that they looked at both of their relative bank accounts. Unless the NFL decides for some reason they don't want to make extra money 2k very well could never make another NFL game.

Which this APF thing could really take off. If they just get more and more retired players to sign up.

If anything I could see the NFL making a unique change in the structure of the NFL license. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to work something out where EA was the only one approved for current year as long as the contract goes on. But they tried to leave open historic years. So that 2k could somehow make classic years of football.

It's always been done historic teams half assed. You'll have the players with stats but just numbers and never looked like the players at all. But if 2k got rights to make say a 1982 game it could get interesting.

We all know it won't happen but still it would be cool if they worked something out like that so we could have the NFL teams at least from yesteryear.

bdoughty

Banned
That would just screw me up as a football fan, the way fantasy leagues screw up others. Having to root for players/teams you hate.

For example (had this game existed years ago) - Pittsburgh wins 05 Super Bowl.

Me: Oh that's it Jerome you have your trophy now go retire so I can get you on my Pittsburgh Mauler franchise.

vumpler said:
It's always been done historic teams half assed. You'll have the players with stats but just numbers and never looked like the players at all. But if 2k got rights to make say a 1982 game it could get interesting.

I disagree and use NFL 2K5 as an example and a season, like you refer to above, has already been done. 2K left the door open enough for their users to be creative. Some of the guys were making leagues out of historic seasons. In one case a guy recreated the 1986 season with rosters for the teams and other editing. Was done by someone over at OS from what I recall.

They have proven that if you allow for proper editing, anything can be accomplished by a user base with far too much free time on their hands. Sports fans fit the bill and if anyone thinks otherwise, feel free and check out the guy who recreated the 86 Boston/Mets game 6 with RBI Baseball.

They have proven that if you allow for proper editing, anything can be accomplished by a user base with far too much free time on their hands. Sports fans fit the bill and if anyone thinks otherwise, feel free and check out the guy who recreated the 86 Boston/Mets game 6 with RBI Baseball.

:lol

i remember i saw that video on youtube (i believe). it was pretty awesome, it had the real announcer dubbed over RBI

Ramirez

I just listened to that 1Up podcast, and Brian seemed to be not that impressed by this game. He kept saying how everyone was wondering what was with the media blackout and said we'd see soon enough why they didn't release media...=\

Big Zep said:
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/881/881587/vids_1.html

2 pages of new movies...I cant look at these until tomorrow afternoon, so let me know!!

I'm not an expert on football gameplay, so I'll let others comment on that. The presentation is great though. Trash talk, very responsive crowd (they even booed), funny victory animations, good commentary, etc.

I look at it and think "It is a damn shame that 2K can't make an NFL game. People really deserve an option to Madden"

Johnny Unitas talks!

Mrbob

Early thoughts popped up after seeing those vids:

The trash talking is stupid.

Hearing Dan and Peter again is great.

The player models and field barely look better than NFL2K5.

The animation looks awesome.

Hope IGN is playing on easy. A ton of blown coverages in the footage shown.

Ramirez

Damn, I'm starting to really get on the fence about this game. You could have placed some NFL jerseys on those teams in the vids and told me it was 2K5 and I probably would have believed you. The animations look ripped straight out of 2K5, weird considering how well that Rice video animated the other day...:|

i liked what i saw for the most part. what i didn't like is the video with the long pass from montana to rice, the NON-TD video. montana threads a needle between the cb (trailing) and the safety who has over the top help. the safety has a CLEAR jump on the ball and should pick it off and WOULD pick it off in real life. instead of stepping in front of rice, the DB AI safety oddly runs towards the sideline (BEHIND rice) and rice makes the catch. the coverage by the CB was acceptable because he stuck on rice but just couldn't hang with him, but the safety play was a joke.

RBH

Good stuff.

Hearing Dan and Peter is definitely welcome after having to endure the radio announcer in Madden for the past couple of years.

Animations look great. Loved seeing the Hulk Hogan pose. :lol

Presentation is pretty good as well.

Graphics and player models are a bit disappointing though. Not a huge deal though since the gameplay makes up for it (at least for myself).

It's becoming real tough for me to pick between Madden and APF. I may just have to get both....

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Still looks good, but it's still NFL 2k5 good. Which is still good. I'm not going to drudge up the dead horse too much, but looking at this game, it blows my mind they could not get this running at 60 fps on the PS3. There is nothing in this game that is pushing either the PS3 or 360 in any sort of way. Strange.

Anyways, lets good, standard praises and complaints. Animation is good, overall looks solid, good options, lack of franchise is absolutely moronic, commentary is already repeating, AI is yet to be determined, should be great for GAF league online nonetheless.

I think I covered everything. :D

Zep

Banned
OK I lied! I watched the Rice-Montana video.

-Montana stepped into his throw :0 AWESOME!

-The DB play...lord please let this be on a lower difficulty, that shit was pretty bad.

-Looking at these in HD...the graphics aren't bad at all. Though its no major step up from 2k5.

Wow, looks great in hi-def. The animations are right on. The Montana to Rice play was beautiful. The way Montana steps into the throw was ace. Also watch the crowd close once the replay starts. After Montana throws it deep, you can see the crowd start to rise in anticipation. Another thing, check out the way the outside DBs line up right before the play starts. Their angled inside to try to drive the receivers inside towards the help defense. One last thing, watch how the full back assist the tackle in blocking the d-line man as he runs out on his pass pattern. This is what I have been waiting for. So many little football touches that Madden has yet to incorporate.

Big Zep said:
-Looking at these in HD...the graphics aren't bad at all. Though its no major step up from 2k5.

Damn, this makes me want to renew my IGN subscription. Well, I think I'll wait until E3 since they usually have a deal then.

Sportzhead, very interesting observations!

Well, if they are gonna make their current ship date it should have gone gold by now. I wonder if it is on schedule. In that gamespot interview, I think he said 'late July' so maybe it has been pushed back a little bit.

Oh . . . the IGN write-up said there would be no trading but in that gamestop interview the 2K sports guy mentioned trading online. I don't know if one of them is wrong or if trading is allowed in on-line league play but not in single-player season play.

Regardless of just how involved you decide to become in the team creation process, you'll take your team into the lone season mode and square off against any one of the 24 pre-fabricated teams. The season in All-Pro 2K8 will run the length of the traditional NFL season, although there is no bye week involved and no trading system available.

TheDuce22

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i liked what i saw for the most part. what i didn't like is the video with the long pass from montana to rice, the NON-TD video. montana threads a needle between the cb (trailing) and the safety who has over the top help. the safety has a CLEAR jump on the ball and should pick it off and WOULD pick it off in real life. instead of stepping in front of rice, the DB AI safety oddly runs towards the sideline (BEHIND rice) and rice makes the catch. the coverage by the CB was acceptable because he stuck on rice but just couldn't hang with him, but the safety play was a joke.

Im sure its on rookie.

Another thing, check out the way the outside DBs line up right before the play starts. Their angled inside to try to drive the receivers inside towards the help defense.

wow so you are quick to jump on the flaws in madden but you don't even acknowledge the horrible DB AI in this vid? true it maybe on rookie or pro (fingers crossed), but lets be a little objective when comparing the two fellas :D

FrenchMovieTheme said:
wow so you are quick to jump on the flaws in madden but you don't even acknowledge the horrible DB AI in this vid? true it maybe on rookie or pro (fingers crossed), but lets be a little objective when comparing the two fellas :D

I love how you are quick to defend Madden. French we all know you pull for the Madden camp, but come on man, I haven't even said anything really negative about this years Madden. My hate has been directed towards NCAA. I have pointed out the little things that add up to a complete football package that APF has but Madden or NCAA does not. But that is it. I truly don't have a football game preference. But if you compare APF to NCAA (haven't seen to many Madden game play vids yet) the difference in the two of simulating real football is night and day. That's what my post above was all about. The little motions, stances, football moves you see every Sunday are present in APF but absent in EA's football games. The post had absolutely nothing to do with AI issues.

BirdBomb

Banned
what do stances and little touches of presnap presentation matter if as soon as the ball is snapped it all goes to hell :lol the ai looks pretty alarming, no matter how good the animations look.

BirdBomb said:
what do stances and little touches of presnap presentation matter if as soon as the ball is snapped it all goes to hell :lol the ai looks pretty alarming, no matter how good the animations look.

Because that wasn't the point of the post. I never said the game looks like it play great.

After looking at the play again, why are you guys complaining about it. The D was playing zone, the safety bit on the flea flicker leaving the corner with one on one coverage with Rice. Rice burned him, resulting in a TD. The real question here is not the DB AI, but why the AI decided to come out in a defense playing zone with the corners playing so far off the outside receivers on first down.

bdoughty

Banned
I kinda miss the good ol days when Frenchy was a raving Madden zealot. It made for interesting discussion. Sadly he seems much more open to other games now.

Let's stop all the (x person is defending x game crapola) please. It was a good run but those days are over and we must now focus on the games, not the people who side with them. :D

Hunter D

Just watched the vids for this game and EA CFB 2008. The animation in APF is much better based on the marketplace vids.

It's cool bdoughty. I know FMT is not as Madden crazy as he used to be. But I can't give him to much credit seeing as he's a huge 49er fan.:D (I hate the 49er.)

bdoughty

Banned
sportzhead said:
It's cool bdoughty. I know FMT is not as Madden crazy as he used to be. But I can't give him to much credit seeing as he's a huge 49er fan.:D (I hate the 49er.)

We could start a club with that hate, the only time I root for the niners is if they are playing the Cowboys. There will be ZERO 49'ers or Cowboys on my APF2K8 team.

bdoughty

Banned
Gamespot has a new article on players special abilities.

* Signal Stealer -- Press X with our QB or defender to try to steal your opponent's plays.
* Scrambler -- QB is talented at throwing the ball out of the pocket.
* Rocket Arm -- QB has top-flight arm strength with QB charge.
* Quick Release -- QB has a quick throwing motion.
* Pocket Presence -- QB is at his best when in the pocket.
* Play Fake -- QB's play action fake is great at fooling defenders.
* Pass Threat -- QB's threat of passing makes draw plays more lethal.
* Laser Arm -- Pinpoint accuracy with QB charge.
* Deception -- QB's pump fakes are more likely to deceive defenders.
* Cadence -- QB's cadence is good at drawing defenders offside.
* 4th Quarter Comeback -- QB is at his best when trailing in the 4th quarter.
* Strength Bonus -- Player has top-notch strength for his position.
* Stamina Bonus -- Player doesn't tire easily.
* Speed Burner -- Player has top-notch speed for his position.
* Secure Ball Bonus -- Player is good at holding onto the football.
* Run Coverage -- Player is good against the run and when pursuing ball carriers.
* Quick Feet -- Player has top-notch agility for his position.
* Leadership Bonus -- Player makes his teammates better.
* Hops -- Player has excellent jumping ability.
* Durability Bonus -- Player is resilient to injuries and very dependable.
* Acrobatic Catches -- Player is able to make difficult circus catches.
* Branching Tackles -- Player is good at shaking off tackles by tapping A.
* Break Away Burst -- Player has an extra gear when running away from defenders.
* Bump Buster -- Player is talented at beating bump and run coverage.
* Cutback Ability -- Player is quick out of cuts.
* Deep Threat -- Receiver is skilled at catching deep passes and draws extra attention from safeties.
* Mr. 3rd Down -- Receiver is clutch in 3rd down situations.
* Possession Receiver -- Receiver is particularly talented at running short routes.
* Return Specialist -- Player is skilled at returning punts or kicks.
* Route God -- Receiver is great route runner.
* Ankle Breaker -- Player has a 2nd level charge juke move.
* Battering Ram -- Player has a 2nd level charge shoulder charge.
* Spin -- Defender has a 2nd level charge spin.
* Arm of Steel -- Player has a 2nd level charge stiff arm.
* Stop on a Dime -- Player has a 2nd level charge stop.
* Tough in the Middle -- Receiver isn't afraid to get hit on catches in the middle.
* Workhorse -- Ball carrier gets better the more he gets the ball.
* Soft Hands -- Player has excellent hands.
* Special Team Demon -- Player is talented at covering punts or kicks.
* Magic Feet -- Player has the footwork and balance to stay in bounds on sideline catches.
* Brick Wall -- Player has superior pass blocking skills.
* Bulldozer -- Player has superior run blocking skills.
* Stonewall -- Linemen is such a stalwart that the QB is extra composed around him.
* Clutch -- Player's performance is best in all-clutch situations and games.
* Strength Bonus -- Player has top-notch strength for his position.
* Scissor Kick -- Player has a scissor kick special move by using RS.
* Finesse -- Player has a 2nd level spin and juke move.
* Power -- Player has a 2nd level shoulder charge and stiff arm.
* Finesse and Power -- Player has a 2nd level spin, juke, shoulder charge, and stiff arm.
* Ball Strip -- Player is adept at forcing fumbles.
* Big Hit -- Defender is particularly adept at big hit tackles with RS.
* Bull Rush -- Defender has a 2nd level charge bull rush.
* Bump Master -- Player is skilled at bump and run coverage.
* Closing Speed -- Defender is able to cover ground quickly when closing in on the ball.
* Club -- Defender has a 2nd level charge club.
* Loose Ball Magnet -- Defender has a knack for recovering fumbles.
* Reach Tackle -- Defender has the strength to pull down ball carriers with reach tackles.
* Rip -- Defender has a 2nd level charge rip.
* Run Reader -- Defender has a sixth sense that allows him to hit the hole.
* Sack Master -- Defender is particularly skilled at sacking the QB.
* Wrap Up Tackler -- Defender is a textbook wrap tackler.
* Coverage Bonus -- Player has excellent pass coverage skills.
* Pass Rush Bonus -- Player is skilled at rushing the passer.
* Run Coverage -- Player is good against the run and when pursuing ball carriers.
* Ball Hawk -- Defender has a keen sense of the ball on passes.
* Footsteps -- Defender strikes fear in receivers and this can result in gator arms.
* Return Specialist -- Player is skilled at returning punts or kicks.
* Coffin Corner -- Player is good at pinning punts inside the 10-yard line.
* Kick Accuracy Bonus -- Player has excellent kick accuracy.
* Kick Power Bonus -- Player has excellent kick power.

bdoughty said:
We could start a club with that hate, the only time I root for the niners is if they are playing the Cowboys. There will be ZERO 49'ers or Cowboys on my APF2K8 team.

That's a game I have to just avoid. The hate running through my body during a Cowbow/49er game could kill a man. The hate I have for the Cowboys is deep. Being born into a Redskins loving family will do that to you.

Nice uniform Elway.

938065_2007003_screen005.jpg

The D was playing zone, the safety bit on the flea flicker leaving the corner with one on one coverage with Rice. Rice burned him, resulting in a TD.

i'm not talking about that play. i'm talking about the non-TD play, where rice has double coverage on him INCLUDING safety help over the top. the safety should have clearly made the play and picked the ball off,but he runs towards the sideline behind rice.

i have no problem with the flea flicker play. we're all friends here guys!

Top Bottom