• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fable! (released tomorrow)

IJoel

This game has me in complete awe. It's just incredibly engrossing and immersive. I'm avoiding the main quest, because frankly, there's too much stuff to do in the game I want to do that's just plain fun.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
for some reason i couldnt read the books...i could get them but i just couldnt read them...dont know why.

Press the Back button and scroll down to Logbook and then select Books to read the ones you've collected. Funny shit in there.

This game fucking rocks!! The only thing keeping it from being totally amazing is the slightly unpolished bits...still, it's so engrossing and genuinely intriguing that it really doesn't matter. It really feels like you're in this alternate fantasy-land Britain or something. It's just cool to be able to wander a bit and find yourself taking on the mini-quests and finding yourself having a very good time. Also, it's very easy to lose track of time playing this one.

Deku Tree

maximum360 said:
Has any gotten their copy from outpost.com (or even confirmation that it shipped)? It's still listed as backordered for me...

:(

I haven't got my order either. I would be worried if they were selling them for full price from outpost.com, but their site still lists the game as a pre-order too. I am doubting that my copy shipped yet. I expect my $30.99 copy to ship as soon as the site lists that they have them in stock. I'm not in a rush b/c I'm still trying to finish pikmin 2.

PhatSaqs

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
This game fucking rocks!! The only thing keeping it from being totally amazing is the slightly unpolished bits...still, it's so engrossing and genuinely intriguing that it really doesn't matter. It really feels like you're in this alternate fantasy-land Britain or something. It's just cool to be able to wander a bit and find yourself taking on the mini-quests and finding yourself having a very good time. Also, it's very easy to lose track of time playing this one.
I agree. This is the first game I can remember where I actually feel as though I am playing a role and what I choose to do affects everything in the game world as a whole. KOTOR of course gave you the choice to be good or bad but those decisions often only affected certain (scripted) upcoming events. With Fable it seems your actions are alot more meaningful. And then the ability to talk to whoever you want in a number of ways (expressions) adds alot to the feeling (or illusion) that i'm in control of what I do and not the game. Kinda weird to explain I guess but it is alot of fun.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
maximum360 said:
Has any gotten their copy from outpost.com (or even confirmation that it shipped)? It's still listed as backordered for me...

:lol Be happy if you get it by the end of the month from Outpost... just saying :D

Razoric

Banned
open_mouth_ said:
:lol Be happy if you get it by the end of the month from Outpost... just saying :D

Well this is the first game I've ordered from outpost and they still dont have it in stock, I am not impressed. Are they always like this? How late are they with sending games?

Deku Tree

Razoric said:
Well this is the first game I've ordered from outpost and they still dont have it in stock, I am not impressed. Are they always like this? How late are they with sending games?

I've ordered a number of games from outpost.com and this is the first time it has not shipped on time. Leaf-Green shipped on time from outpost.com for me.

I'm optimisitc that Fable will ship today or tomorrow.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
MightyHedgehog said:
Press the Back button and scroll down to Logbook and then select Books to read the ones you've collected. Funny shit in there.

fucking rock on, my hedgehog!

ot and btw: wanna play some black arrow later today? i haven't touched RS3 in like 6 months but hell, i kinda want to get back into it.

Sysgen

This game is going straight to Ebay. What a fucking stupid save system. I saved my game the first night I got it after I did the training and a couple of quests. Now it remembers absolutley nothing that I did but it remembers the items I have from the quests. Now I have to do everything all over again. True, it's not that much but it totally broke the continuity for me. Verry disappointed and I'm not doing things all over again even if they are a few.

IJoel

Sysgen said:
This game is going straight to Ebay. What a fucking stupid save system. I saved my game the first night I got it after I did the training and a couple of quests. Now it remembers absolutley nothing that I did but it remembers the items I have from the quests. Now I have to do everything all over again. True, it's not that much but it totally broke the continuity for me. Verry disappointed and I'm not doing things all over again even if they are a few.

You can't save the state of the game+character when you're in the middle of a quest. Otherwise, people would abuse this. So, in this case, the game offers to save your character progress.

During any other instance, you can save normally (World Save).

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I don't understand your complaint. Did you not do a world save in your game? I started mine back up yesterday from exactly where I stopped. Did you just not save right or something?

edit: ok, now I get it. Um, dumb game, etc.

Sysgen

Musashi Wins! said:
I don't understand your complaint. Did you not do a world save in your game? I started mine back up yesterday from exactly where I stopped. Did you just not save right or something?

edit: ok, now I get it. Um, dumb game, etc.

There is no world save option at the point I am at.

No, not um dumb game etc... WTF are you a comedian?

Redbeard

Banned
The way they blocked you off from everything really pisses me off. Fences everywhere, invisible walls, uncrossable water, etc... it's just so goddamn lame. You don't want to make the world like Morrowind, alright, but at least design the world so where I can and can't go makes sense. Nothing like trying to walk through a shallow pool or between two trees only to be blocked by an invisible wall.

Some of the areas seem overly linear, too. Darkwood should be called Darkroad because that's just what it is, one long fucking path.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I went through the same thing.

You simply cannot save in the middle of a quest. The entire tutorial portion (from kid to adult, to full fledged guild member) is considered a single quest. A little more of an explanation in game during this would have helped alot.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Just got the game this morning, played for 12 hours straight, totally rocks, im playing the good side, i am loved by all (including some gay heros in the guild, not sure if im brave enough to explore those possibilities ;) ) Got 2 wives already, and my hero is a sword & magic user, he's already looking kinda old bless 'im.

ive got no idea how you'd get through the game without excessive use of will powers though, once enemies get smart enough to black most of your normal attacks, guess you have to get the bow out...i'll try that second time through.

Only complaint really is zones, they are way too small, even in towns there seems to be 2 or 3. I hate the way they break up the gameplay every 2 minutes.

Sysgen

PhatSaqs said:
I went through the same thing.

You simply cannot save in the middle of a quest. The entire tutorial portion (from kid to adult, to full fledged guild member) is considered a single quest. A little more of an explanation in game during this would have helped alot.

Thank you. This is totally lame. I like to take my time and wander around. There a many things to do before you are an adult. I don;t want to sit there until I become an adult. I WANT TO SAVE MY GAME! Fucking lame. Like I said it broke the continuity. I am not redoing the childhood shit. I already fucking did it.

Mrbob

Redbeard said:
The way they blocked you off from everything really pisses me off. Fences everywhere, invisible walls, uncrossable water, etc... it's just so goddamn lame. You don't want to make the world like Morrowind, alright, but at least design the world so where I can and can't go makes sense. Nothing like trying to walk through a shallow pool or between two trees only to be blocked by an invisible wall.

Some of the areas seem overly linear, too. Darkwood should be called Darkroad because that's just what it is, one long fucking path.

Less then 24 hours earlier:

Redbeard said:
Man, this game is awesome.

First time I went to Bowerstone I went upstairs in a shop and punched a window out. Then I get a notice telling me it's illegal to destroy others' property, and I think "Big deal. It's not like a guard standing outside is going to go in the shop and come up the stairs to kick my ass." That's exactly what happened.

;__;

Short game, not many main quests, linear world, can't go out into the wilderness. WTF happened to Fable? Maybe they should call this game Fable 0.5, because it seems like it got really chopped up from its original vision. That's the inference I'm getting from all the various posts I'm reading on different message boards. I knew some features had been dropped but hot damn, this game doesn't not sound like the game Molyneux was pimping at various trade shows.

BTW my outpost.com order hasn't shipped yet either. From what I have read, I'll gladly wait and feel much better spending 30 on this game than 50.....

Sysgen

Sysgen said:
Thank you. This is totally lame. I like to take my time and wander around. There a many things to do before you are an adult. I don;t want to sit there until I become an adult. I WANT TO SAVE MY GAME! Fucking lame. Like I said it broke the continuity. I am not redoing the childhood shit. I already fucking did it.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16332381

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16339039

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16322723

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16332062

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16324062

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16341581

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16333066

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16342106

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16341186

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16335494

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16317596

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16312139

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16319404

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16318180

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16328888

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16322403

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16322466

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16339495

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16329415

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=13705&topic=16324576

The design is just terrible at this point in the game. From a supposed guru of game design it's a pretty big indictment. This is a matter of being too smart. What's wrong with saving during childhood? I understand not saving during quests but this hero save / world save shit and not having world save in the beginning borders on incompetence.

Teddman

Please elaborate on the save system. Limited saving in a game is one of my biggest pet peeves, and I'm thinking of picking Fable up...

Mrbob

Well, I'll try to elaborate on it since I think I got it down from different posts I've read (I don't have the game yet either).

It looks like the way the game works is you have a character save and a hero/world save. You can only save your quests and everything you have accomplished via the hero/world save as long as you have completed a quest and aren't into another one. This hero/world save also saves your position on the map. Now, if you save during a quest, it only saves your character stats (Items you have acquired, exp, etc.) but it does not save your position in the quest and boots you back to town. So that means if you were 4/5 through a quest, saved and quit during the middle of it, all the exp and items you acquired were saved, but you get thrown back to town when you restart your game and you have to go through the entire quest again.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Teddman said:
Please elaborate on the save system. Limited saving in a game is one of my biggest pet peeves, and I'm thinking of picking Fable up...
Pretty much what Bob said except that the game does an auto save whenever you start/complete a quest so if you restart/reload/quit during a quest you will start at the beginning of that quest.

I havent had any issues aside from the tutorial portion and the fact that it isnt clear at that point exactly how the save system works. I dont think it's outlined in the manual either.

Teddman

shuri said:
No, Teddman, you cant transfer you game to a memcard :lol
<whiny voice>I just want to save my game and play it on any Xbox is that so WRRRRONG! :D <whiny voice>
This is a matter of being too smart. What's wrong with saving during childhood? I understand not saving during quests but this hero save / world save shit and not having world save in the beginning borders on incompetence.
About how long do you have to go between progress saves in childhood or quests?

Mrbob said:
Short game, not many main quests, linear world, can't go out into the wilderness. WTF happened to Fable? Maybe they should call this game Fable 0.5, because it seems like it got really chopped up from its original vision. That's the inference I'm getting from all the various posts I'm reading on different message boards. I knew some features had been dropped but hot damn, this game doesn't not sound like the game Molyneux was pimping at various trade shows.

BTW my outpost.com order hasn't shipped yet either. From what I have read, I'll gladly wait and feel much better spending 30 on this game than 50.....

dont worry...youll enjoy it.

honestly, i wasnt that impressed at first...i was like eh....

i felt like...i was caged in......the whole childhood - adult process is interesting but not that great imo and it feels very limiting. but, THEN, i became an adult and thats when the whole game changed..

Yea, there are fences that block you off everywhere still (which Is one of the few things I dont like about this game) but there are many paths and places for you to go also. This game becomes a true AAA game after the whole Tutorial part (childhood - adulthood). So you might not like it or be impressed at first, but you will be later.

Sysgen

TeddmanAbout how long do you have to go between progress saves in childhood or quests?[/QUOTE said:
That's the point. You can get through it quickly but the quests are open to you in childhood so if you do them as a child but turn off your Xbox before going to adulthood it's back to the beginning. So if you are going to buy the game just make sure you RUSH through childhood. Unimagineable.

Teddman

Kinda lame. I'd like to try doing certain quests as a child as well as an adult. Do the quests proceed any differently if you do them as a kid, or have different outcomes that way?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Either rush through it or have a good amount of time available so you dont have to turn off your xbox for a while if you plan to spend a good amount of time during the play period (I spent a little over 2 hours here). Either way, something should have been done to alleviate this.

shuri

Banned
The save system was made that way to prevent people from spoiling the experience by saving before doing a bad deed, then reloading right away to see what would happen if you did a good deep instead, and vice versa.

Therefore spoiling and cheapening the whole good/evil system by allowing people to not having to deal with the consequences of their acts.

I dont know why people are complaining since Fable is using the same save system than GTA3 and GTA:VC

You cant save while in midquest (or mid mission), and if you get killed (or shut off the console), you will reload at the beginning of the quest (or just right before)

:)

Teddman

shuri said:
The save system was made that way to prevent people from spoiling the experience by saving before doing a bad deed, then reloading right away to see what would happen if you did a good deep instead, and vice versa.

Therefore spoiling and cheapening the whole good/evil system by allowing people to not having to deal with the consequences of their acts.
That's the kind of trial-and-error stuff I like to do in games with multiple paths though. It's like flipping through the alternate choice pages of a choose-your-own-adventure book.

I think game developers overreach when they try to control how a player experiences a game via the save system. It's the gamer's prerogative.

Who are they protecting this way? You'd never see someone post, "The game was ruined for me--RUINED, I say!--because I was allowed to save too often and see all the various things I could have done!"

maximum360 said:

Why are you outpost buyers not picking up the game locally? You can return your outpost copy next week when you receive it to whatever store you bought it at.

Also, for those looking to pick-up Fable at a local store for near outpost.com's price, 110% pricematch at Circuit City or Best Buy with Fry's $34.99 price. Picked up Fable for $33.49 yesterday @ Besy Buy this way. Of course, you'll have to have a Fry's near you and a Fry's ad.

nitewulf

Mrbob said:
Well, I'll try to elaborate on it since I think I got it down from different posts I've read (I don't have the game yet either).

It looks like the way the game works is you have a character save and a hero/world save. You can only save your quests and everything you have accomplished via the hero/world save as long as you have completed a quest and aren't into another one. This hero/world save also saves your position on the map. Now, if you save during a quest, it only saves your character stats (Items you have acquired, exp, etc.) but it does not save your position in the quest and boots you back to town. So that means if you were 4/5 through a quest, saved and quit during the middle of it, all the exp and items you acquired were saved, but you get thrown back to town when you restart your game and you have to go through the entire quest again.

thats a baaaaaad design decision, i dont like playing game more than 2 hours at a time. that means i'd have to rush through fable just to save at the next point.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
FreakyFink said:
Why are you outpost buyers not picking up the game locally? You can return your outpost copy next week when you receive it to whatever store you bought it at.

Also, for those looking to pick-up Fable at a local store for near outpost.com's price, 110% pricematch at Circuit City or Best Buy with Fry's $34.99 price. Picked up Fable for $33.49 yesterday @ Besy Buy this way. Of course, you'll have to have a Fry's near you and a Fry's ad.

anywhere to get a frys ad online? i want to price match fable and gradius :D

That's the point. You can get through it quickly but the quests are open to you in childhood so if you do them as a child but turn off your Xbox before going to adulthood it's back to the beginning. So if you are going to buy the game just make sure you RUSH through childhood. Unimagineable.

what? theres like only a few quests open at childhood...and thats the tutorial stuff. The Childhood part doesnt take that long.

peace

op_ivy

http://www.netaffilia.com/ad/electronics/frys/i/2004/09/15/5852.html

cant find one for gradius though :(
4944508.gif

Sysgen

Fixed2BeBroken said:
what? theres like only a few quests open at childhood...and thats the tutorial stuff. The Childhood part doesnt take that long.

peace

for you, and you're missing the point.

peace

op_ivy

i was just told by my local Best Buy that they wont price match Fry's... what kind of shit is that? lol

op_ivy said:
i was just told by my local Best Buy that they wont price match Fry's... what kind of shit is that? lol

When I went to Best Buy yesterday, they refused to price match it for some reason. I had to get back to work, so I really didn't feel like fighting it.

op_ivy

yeah, he told me they only price match certain stores... jesus

I too had problems with the save system. I read the whole manual and I know for sure that it does not explain the save mechanism.

I relation to that, someone answer me this: I'm supposed to go to the map room to choose quests. When I choose a quest does it immediately begin then or can I go somewhere for a while and they select to begin the quest? How does that work?

(I just completed the training, so I'm about to delve into the quests.)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I think for the first quest you go to the general area. But you can go to the quest room, level up, teleport out etc. before you pick a new one.

PhatSaqs

Banned
The quest doesnt actually start until you reach the destination point of the quest card you picked up. Once you reach that point the game then auto saves so if you reset you'll start right there.

PhatSaqs

Banned
As long you havent officially started a quest by going to the quest destination, yes. If you do all of this in route to the destination it'll all be saved.

IJoel

seismologist said:
So lets say I run around town and cause havoc kill people and whatnot. Then save. Will all of that stuff you did get saved?

If you haven't started a quest, the Save World option will show up as opposed to Save Hero, and yes, the world will be saved .

Vicious

Strange, I haven't had any problems with the save system and I've been playing for roughly 8 hours. I guess I was just never in the position of wanting to save while I was on a quest. Everytime I wanted to stop I was just exploring, and just hit start + save.

Top Bottom