• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fable! (released tomorrow)

Gantz

Banned
So is Fable the Black & White of the gen? I'm still skeptical. GAF hype is unpredictable when it comes to the quality of games. Oh well my copy should arrive from gamefly next week.

I put in about four hours last night, this game is a total blast, whoever said this was a combination of Zelda and The Sims was dead on. I’m really enjoying the interaction with the townsfolk, although flirting with this woman I met in Oakvale last night accomplished nothing. She was all into me, wanted to go the inn, and then nothing more happened. [sigh] Oh well, I bought a house, maybe that will impress her. My girlfriend, who tends to dislike any game made after the NES, absolutely loves watching me play.

Combat has been fun, but those damn sprites/fairies/whatever are a pain in the ass, I suck with the bow, and it appears magic does nothing to them.

Oh, continue posting tales of your evil deeds, I’d feel too bad doing them myself, but they are hilarious to read about.

Well, the game drags a tinsy bit at first, but now that I've done a few missions and see where it's going I can say I am having a blast.
The game does use some conventions to get at its unique aspects, how the world responds to your actions in clever and entertaining ways delivered by missions that seem familar in a world of familiar character types, with an oddly familar art style etc. etc. but I don't mind that much. A lot of the time you're travelling on paths(sorta like KOTOR in that respect, I guess), and the action feels light and fun like Baulders Gate: DA or a 2d zelda(even though it does have more sophisticated play mechanics).The enemies are light years beyond whatever you'd find in morrowind.I get the sense the drama won't be quite as focused as what's in Kotor.
My biggest gripe is that after reently revisiting ICO and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time that you can't jump, grab, climb etc. I think adding those dimensions to this game would hugely expand its appeal to me and make it live up to the big hype it got.
With more realistic expectations I can say, yes this game is worthy, as long as you think Baulders Gate: DA meets Kotor with some animal crossing like interactions and a cleverly responsive world that's tuned to entertain more than to be complicated, and not Morrowind or 3d zelda.

distantmantra said:
Combat has been fun, but those damn sprites/fairies/whatever are a pain in the ass, I suck with the bow, and it appears magic does nothing to them.

Level 3 time slow and level 4 lightning make them wish they were never born...or something.

Gantz said:
So is Fable the Black & White of the gen? I'm still skeptical.

If you can judge the game on its own merits and not the hype, you should be able to enjoy it. What's there is great, IMO. Just needs a bit more polish to it some bits. Otherwise, totally engaging and fun if you're not out to just plain finish it.

Heliocentric said:
My biggest gripe is that after reently revisiting ICO and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time that you can't jump, grab, climb etc. I think adding those dimensions to this game would hugely expand its appeal to me and make it live up to the big hype it got.

Yeah, at first, I was a bit put off by the lack of jumping, but, really, it didn't matter to me after a bit...it would be mostly pointless to have included it. However, climbing and stepping over things (such as fences and other low-lying objects) would've been a hell of a lot more fun to do considering that the game controls so well, IMO.

MightyHedgehog said:
Level 3 time slow and level 4 lightning make them wish they were never born...or something.

Ah, thanks, aside from Heal, I've avoided using Will powers too much. My lightning is still level one.

hiryu

This is easily one of the best games I've ever played. I love everything about it. I played it straight from 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM yesterday. The graphics and music are great as is the character customization and story. Some people must of hurried through this game. After all of that I just beat the Arena and from the looks of things still have a ways to go. Doing all of the optional quest cards and trying to get all of the demon doors open can take some time. I made the game a little easier by getting the demon door near the hobbe caves open and getting a lightning augmented cutlass that just made me destroy things. My character is now a glowing blue sword weilding asskicking agent of good that looks like a walking tank in my bright plate mail. I went the melee-magic way and it works well. Sheild and force push are excellent spells. If you always have shield up you don't count as getting hit so your exp multiplier is always really huge. This is a great way to lvl up.

Also, to get married you have to flirt and give gifts until the lady has a blinking heart over her head. After that talk to her and she will ask you to buy her a ring. Giver her a "real" wedding ring and then if you own property in the town you will get married or she will ask you to buy a house first. You can get laid after you are married only I believe. Once married have your bride follow you to the bed. Once you both are right beside the bed start flirting and giving gifts. Eventually she will turn green. Talk to her and she will ask you to go to bed. Commence black screen and cheesy moaning. Depending on how well known you are she will say different comments when you are done. For instance "That was short and sweet." or "I felt Albion move.".

jedimike

Gantz said:
So is Fable the Black & White of the gen? I'm still skeptical. GAF hype is unpredictable when it comes to the quality of games. Oh well my copy should arrive from gamefly next week.

This thread is filled with backlashes and glowing opinions, so it's up to you to decide which points are important or which gamers on GAF your tastes coincide with. I have a handful of gamers on here that I trust their opinions 100%.

Also I verified 16:9 and 5.1...

16:9 support - The game is 4:3 only. However, I couldn't immediately tell that the game was stretched when I was playing and had to go to 4:3 mode just to see a difference. The art style of the characters and environment is very stretch friendly.

5.1 Surround: It's definitely there and is implemented very well. I could effectively hit each surround channel by rotating my camera around the character with waterfalls and NPC chatting in the background. The thing to remember is that the camera has point of focus, not your character. For instance you can walk up to an NPC and turn you back to them and you'll still be using the front speakers because the NPC still appears on screen. Meaning, the NPC is behind your character, but still in front of the camera. However, take a step forward (with your back still to NPC) and the NPC will dissapear off the screen and you'll hear the NPC in your rear speakers. Rotate left or right and it will single out each speaker.

distantmantra said:
Ah, thanks, aside from Heal, I've avoided using Will powers too much. My lightning is still level one.

You could also just increase your levels in accuracy and speed and get a good bow and then kick in the time slow for added accuracy.

hiryu said:
Doing all of the optional quest cards and trying to get all of the demon doors open can take some time. I made the game a little easier by getting the demon door near the hobbe caves open and getting a lightning augmented cutlass that just made me destroy things.

Wait, you can do the things the Demon Doors ask and still be good?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
distantmantra said:

when it says to do an evil feat,
you gotta eat 10 chunky chickens in his sight :p afaik, it's just tasks... like being a galiant knight.. or becoming a obese man, stuff like that

distantmantra said:

Yeah...just because they're called Demon Doors, doesn't mean that they're evil. Each of them has different requirements. Some of which require you to be evil...or, in some cases, evil-er...or something.... Many of them cannot be done in a single playthrough, I'm certain.

MightyHedgehog said:
Yeah...just because they're called Demon Doors, doesn't mean that they're evil. Each of them has different requirements. Some of which require you to be evil...or, in some cases, evil-er...or something.... Many of them cannot be done in a single playthrough, I'm certain.

I see. The one I talked to outside of Oakvale asked me to perform an evil feat in front of him, I assumed I had to kill an innocent or something.

DopeyFish said:
when it says to do an evil feat, you gotta eat 10 chunky chickens in his sight :p

LOL...I love
the door who requires you to be a fatty before he'll open.
Cracks me up every time I hear the dialogue for it. Too bad I'm not prepared to do that on this playthrough.

distantmantra said:
I see. The one I talked to outside of Oakvale asked me to perform an evil feat in front of him, I assumed I had to kill an innocent or something.

Yeah...notice that the trade lines are always moving throughout Albion...

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ghost said:
Just completed my first play through, managed to make it the whole way without doing anything evil, by the end i was so damn attractive every time i walked through any town another 4 women (and one man) fell in love with me, and if i sat down to play a game in the tavern, by the time i finished everyone in the whole town would be crammed into the tavern cheering for me, crazy stuff...also got some luvvin from the mayoress (she said i was a hero in more ways than one).

Few questions before i start my second play through though...

1. Has anyone managed to marry any of the other guild apprentices? I had one in love with me but she wouldnt marry me untill i had a place for us to live, i had a few spare houses in other towns so i figure you need a house in the zone you're in, and as you cant get one at the guild...no hero weddings.

Have you tried using Follow on her and then teleporting to another town?

hiryu

Then it's almost over. :(

Not really I checked a guide to see how far I was and I still have plenty to do. I'll admit that I did screw around in the game a lot. I wasn't always doing quest. Getting the demon door that requires a high multiplier to open took me about an hour and a half to figure out a good place to complete it.

PhatSaqs

Banned
troll.gif

Prine

Banned
This just sounds like so much fun. POintless, but fun nontheless

Okay, so I got married last night in Bowerstone. After getting married I decided to get fat. I had almost 300 gold and spent all of it on apple pies. Then I just gorged myself and ate all of the pies. My hero became "obese" and I now have a big 'ol gut and some nice little love handles.
Then I waddled out of town (you actually move slower when your fat) to do some fighting. Fought some bandits, started losing too much weight, so I filled up on pies again.

I found this wicked face tattoo that covered my whole face. I bought it. I went home wanting to show off my new look to my wife. The last time she saw me I was all in shape and pretty (the face tattoo really brought down my attractivness).

I go home and the first thing she says is "My, you've really filled out haven't you." She then says "What did you do to your face? I don't like it." I then try to flirt with her and apparently she isn't into tubby guys with wicked face tattoos.

She kept on with the negative comments so I started beatin on her. Just with my fists. She then divorces me. I saw her in town the next day and she started yelling about how I was her no good ex-husband and all I did was sit around and get fat. I stopped playing right after that, but she is now on my hit list and will die a very painful death.

Yes, my muscular, ripped, good, hero is starting to turn into a fat, evil, landlord (once I get more money i'm going to get into the whole real estate thing.)

LOL!!

Rodriguez said:
Where is the damn tatoo parlor?

Can you get chicks when you're evil? Every woman I approach curls up in fear.

I haven't found a tattoo parlor, rather they are travelling tattooists, just like most of the other traders. I got a badass gryphon tattoo across my chest:)

Also, where the hell can I find a real wedding ring? Haven't found anyone selling those yet.

Prine said:
This just sounds like so much fun. POintless, but fun nontheless

LOL!!

alot of this sounds pointless and gimicky. I can see it being fun to try getting drunk maybe once but How's the lasting appeal?

Rodriguez

PanopticBlue said:
I haven't found a tattoo parlor, rather they are travelling tattooists, just like most of the other traders. I got a badass gryphon tattoo across my chest:)

Also, where the hell can I find a real wedding ring? Haven't found anyone selling those yet.

The merchant right next to the Bowerstone town entrance has a real wedding ring.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
game is great, loving it. As for lasting appeal, I can't wait to replay the game(and I am only half into the game) as good/magic, good/rogue, and all sorts of evil.

distantmantra said:

if you are making a warrior type character, get that spell, lol forgot what its called now that im thinking about it but it lets you teleport to the otherside of your enemy like akuma....it is too good.

peace

Prine

Banned
seismologist said:
alot of this sounds pointless and gimicky. I can see it being fun to try getting drunk maybe once but How's the lasting appeal?

It is pointless, but its there if you choose to. You dont have to, but you can. This is what makes games really stand out for me. You can do combination of hillerious things in Albion, i read so many stories of what people get up to. Its fun

robot

Finally caved in and picked the game up last night. About 3 hours in and so far the games awesome.

One thing I can't seem to find are people selling Armor (havent explored too much tho). I found some evil mage suit from one of those demon doors, but other than that, I still have Apprentice clothes. Anyone know where to look?

PhatSaqs

Banned
I havent seen any "armor" yet either but i've seen plenty of traders selling clothing, boots, pants, etc. About 4 hours in myself.

JayFro

Banned
My order has shipped from outpost.com and I'm chompin at the bit to play this game. I'm not a big RPG fan but the interaction and different things sound very cool. For anyone who has beaten the game how long did it take you?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Theres an armour store in every town, same place that sells all the clothes, maybe you cant afford it (so its greyed out)? Its not expensive though so i guess you just missed it.

Man playing evil is soo much easier, just did the hobb hunting quest (the one where you have to kill more than whisper), bitch kept stealing my kills when i was good so i never got the trophy, but as bad i just got 5 or so ahead (multi-arrow i think i love you) then just kept shooting her till she ran away :D.

Also just murdered a shop clerk, to answer my own question, yes that does put the shop up for sale (god knows how you make the guards calm down though, i worked up 14 grands worth of fines but they never stopped coming :lol).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
DopeyFish said:
when you teleport into bowerstone, it's the dude to your left, he sells real wedding rings

Also the general store in Oakvale (the store thats not the weapons shop i mean) has a ton of wedding rings, for the bigamist in all of us

Anyone notice there's a "Drinker Class" on the personal stats page?

I'm gonna keep drinking (thus getting fat) to see what the different classes are. I wonder how fat you can really get if you keep a diet strictly of pies and beer?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i think there's too much dark selection in armor :p it's hard finding really good armor or weaponry that's "good"

Top Bottom