• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fable! (released tomorrow)

I got it last night and played 8 hours...longest I played a game in a while. I was hating the begining how the kid looked so stupid and seemed to float on the ground. I stopped playing when I was having too much fun destroying Oakville out of frustration for

not being able to find that damn necklace, and my "hero" was sexually frutraed all these chick want him but nothing till thier married...DIE!!!

About the Arena fight

I killed wisper cause the dipshit literally stood there while I had no health and took on the 2 tree monsters and the 2 rock monsters....Beserk is one hell of a power. The only things she did was hit me a few times and was a meat sheild for the giant scorpion, wierd thing is I boasted that I woud do it with no armor...I did it with no armor and failed?! YEt I accidentlly boasted I'd Kill the white...I forget thier names....warewolve taking no damage I got my butt kicked and still passed it....eh

scarybore

Great Wasabi Man said:
wierd thing is I boasted that I woud do it with no armor...I did it with no armor and failed?!

Exact same thing happened to me and I got well pissed, especially since I was able to pass the I will spare as many as I can one or whatever it was called :(

The Scorpion was perhaps the easiest boss Ive ever seen, all you needed to do was walk sideways with your bow to avoid it hitting you and keep firing like a mad man, dont even need to use a sword.

Just started up my EVIL game last night. My first run through was completely GOOD. Had my Physique maxed out, health way up there, my lightning and fireball spells were real strong, and I loved using the combination of "Assasin Rush", "Shield", and "Slow Time" in combat. With those 3 spells and my physical strength I was an unstoppable juggernaut. >:D

BTW, whoever said you can keep playing the game after its over was lying. I got two different endings and after each one the credits rolled and that was it. Would have been cool to be able to play after that and see the world's reaction to you. Oh well. Really a fantastic game though.

SPOILERS BELOW! I can't do the black tags (don't know how) so stop reading if you haven't fully completed one run through the game yet!!!!

I was mostly good, but I did get pretty evil at times. It wasn't often though because I still had a halo and butterflies dancing around me when I'd stand still. But anyway, I liked thinking of my character as being kind of like The Punisher. I spared Whisper, because she was never really evil, just trying to rival me. Twinblade on the other hand, I killed that fucker. I don't care if he took in my sister or not, he was a bandit and I swore an oath at the begining of the game to annihilate all bandits dumb enough to get in my way. I gained a lot of evil points at that time, but I rather enjoyed killing him.

I was dissappointed you couldn't really kill Thunder. After all his shit-talking, I kind of wanted to destroy him. He was at least humbled by losing, and it was cool to see him again at the end, but I would have liked the option to fully kill him. Its not like I needed his help at the end.

Never saw that Briar Rose chick until the end. I wondered who the hell she was. Guess I didn't actually go into the tavern way at the begining so I never met her before. Would have enjoyed hitting on her. Or Whisper for that matter. It was cool enough that I was able to marry/bang Lady Grey, but it'd have been cool if they had more important chicks out there from the main story that you could end up marrying.

The Scorpion was hard for me. I didn't rely on ranged combat so it was quite a challenge despite that I was one bad mofo. Easiest boss ever goes to the Wasp Queen.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Deathcraze said:
Exact same thing happened to me and I got well pissed, especially since I was able to pass the I will spare as many as I can one or whatever it was called :(

The Scorpion was perhaps the easiest boss Ive ever seen, all you needed to do was walk sideways with your bow to avoid it hitting you and keep firing like a mad man, dont even need to use a sword.

Gotta disagree on scorpion being the easiest, second time through i killed the white balverine in 1 shot from my "arkens crossbow"

robot

I managed to make Grandma from that cottage fall in love with me, and I finally married her. All I needed to do was get her back to my village and into my house (my goal was to get grandma in the sack) but I lost her during a huge battle with bandits, and never saw her again.

I miss Grandma...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Its great how easily fooled the villagers are, my evil character is about as evil and scary as they come, but damned attractive too (+100 for all 3) but if i put on some bright clothing to tone down the scary factor everyone loves me and i can happily get them to follow me to be sacrificed at the evil temple :D (then go by their houses). Except in Oakville because i killed a couple of townsmen and a few dozen guards there once and they dont forget things like that no matter how nice i look, so everyone still runs away scared from me there.

Oh and i took some advice i got earlier in this thread, you can indeed marry other apprentices from the guild, you just have to lead them to a town where you have a house.

IJoel

I don't waste much time getting them away from their homes, i go into their homes and make sure no one else is watching me, except for them, and slaughter them.

Then buy their houses.

Uno Ill Nino said:
BTW, whoever said you can keep playing the game after its over was lying. I got two different endings and after each one the credits rolled and that was it. Would have been cool to be able to play after that and see the world's reaction to you. Oh well. Really a fantastic game though.
On my first playthrough, on the good ending, all I had to do was leave the credits running and after they were complete, I'd get a victory screen and it brought me back into the world. I don't know about the evil ending, as I haven't tried it yet.

I've really been enjoying Fable. It's a nice change of pace from other games I am used to playing, mostly ones that emphasise constant action and speed. Its nice to take your time and just play at your own pace.

The game is very charming, in style and presentation. Action seems simple, but I have no problem with that. At times I do wish it was a bit more open ended, but at no time do I feel so closed in that it ruins the experience for me.

My character has been mostly evil so far, but I want to change that and make him completely good natured. I want to have those good reactions. I've already sprouted horns, but they aren't too big. Hopefully a few good quests and deeds will put me where I want to be.

Oh yeah, how the heck do you read books? I have a bunch of books, and I don't know how to read them. I've tried checking them out via the quick menu, but no luck. The equipment menu doesn't have them listed. Little help please.

Soul4ger

Need some 'elp 'ere. I'm in the town you were born in, but I'm back there when I'm older. There's a ghost, he says his treasure is buried next to jetty on the west beach. There isn't much in the way of western beach, though, and I can't find the spot for the life of me. Anywhere know where it is?

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
re buried treasure

dig just to the left of the wooden bridge/ramp where the people are unloading boxes from the boats on the western beach

Question:

Where do I find thunder so I can kill him and marry the big boobed blonde?

I wasn't really looking foward to the game just picked it up out of curiosity and I have to admit it's pretty kick ass, the only thing that annoys me a bit it getting good points for killing monsters I forget which mission it was but I was all the way on the evil side I had to fight so many monsters that I lost and Evil level and a half :mad:

Oh and how do I become big instead of a srawney hero?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Head towards blowerstone jail (out the back of blowerstone north) when you have activated the quest.

Becoming big, i think is a mixture of increasing your strength and toughness attributes and eating plenty of red meat, apple pies etc (check the stats page of the menu to see your weight rating)

hehe I'm a fat ass now....actually it says something like Pdgy in my stats...lol

I found thunder right after I posted that :D. It was one of those Doh moments.

This game is much better then I thought it was going to be...for one the character designs aren no where as bad as that stupid screen from the prison where one guy looked like captian caveman.

Rodriguez

My quest to get laid continues...

I'm at the Temple of Avo and that one guy wants something red and shiny. So I'm guessing he wants a ruby. I teleport into Oakvale to check out the shop. But first, I make a little pit stop at the bar. Place is crawling with women. One fucking "sexy pose" and all the bitches come running. I had fucking 5 of 'em falling in love with me! I gots to get to a real shop (I was in the bar buying drinks, HAHA! Got all 5 of them drunk!). Now I buy the ruby, as well as emeralds, roses, chocolates, perfume. I dish out the gifts and two of them finally ask for a wedding ring! YAY! I buy two wedding rings and they want a house now. But I can't afford one at the time. Bah, I'll just teleport back to Avo, give that douche the ruby, hopefully finish the quest, buy a crib, and finally score. GASP! I gave away my ruby as a gift and can't afford to buy another! So I figure I'll try and steal some goods and sell them to another shop. But I get caught and the guards come running. I can't afford to pay my fine! Now I gotta do me some fighting. Fucked up damn near every guard in Oakvale, but they finally get me and I get kicked out. Upset and now without any potential wives, I murder everyone I see in the field. Now everywhere I go I got guards after me (got busted in Bowerstone for stealing as well, but that was an accident). Ah well, at least my guy is looking awesome. Huge horns, eyes glowing red, and for some strange reason, flies buzzing around his head.

belgurdo

Banned
Great Wasabi Man said:
hehe I'm a fat ass now....actually it says something like Pdgy in my stats...lol

This game is much better then I thought it was going to be...for one the character designs aren no where as bad as that stupid screen from the prison where one guy looked like captian caveman.

I like the game too, but I really can't shake the feeling that the game seems more like a beat 'em up with towns than a full-on RPG with kick ass combat. Maybe I'm mad that it blows through so fast (even if you do everything as both good and evil) and I don't want it to end because the game's world is amazing

Soul4ger

Just finished the arena. Didn't kill Whisper. Does it make a difference? Decided to take a break, I've been janking around for about 12 hours. I might go and try to build up some experience and stuff before I go meet my sister at the Grey House. I have two sidequest options to take care of in the meantime, but I'll probably upgrade my armor and try to screw some chick.

Seth C

So, they say you can keep playing after you finish. How? Do you have to NOT skip the credits? The damn credits roll FOREVER and I got tired of it w hen they started thanking their HR people, accountants, and the personal assistants to the Directors (ugh). It just took me to the main screen. I could load my game, sure, but that just takes me back to before the last mission. Please don't tell me I have to go through that again and not skip the credits....

Seth C said:
So, they say you can keep playing after you finish. How? Do you have to NOT skip the credits? The damn credits roll FOREVER and I got tired of it w hen they started thanking their HR people, accountants, and the personal assistants to the Directors (ugh). It just took me to the main screen. I could load my game, sure, but that just takes me back to before the last mission. Please don't tell me I have to go through that again and not skip the credits....
I'm pretty sure that's the case I'm afraid. Find something to occupy 10 or 15 minutes of your time while they roll on...

KingV

Great Wasabi Man said:

I ate over 200 red meats and 25 beers and got all the way to Fatty. You go real real slow when you get max fat, but you work it off quick, got back down to slim in the arena. However, I started using a giant hammer and worked my physique up quite a bit, so now I'm like totally ripped, and seemingly a lot taller than I was. I dwarf pretty much every other character in the game. I'm not sure if it was the red meat, beer, carrying the giant weapon, or getting my strength skills up a bit that made me simply 'uge, but some combination of that stuff should help.

Seth C

Wow...

It sure is a pity that I have to kill sis to get to keep the Sword of Aeons, because there is no way I'm going on without this blade! 550 damage? The Harbinger is only 198 is comparions. This bad boy tears right through everything. I immediately took it to Oakvale and slaughtered everyone in town. Who is going to stop me? Certainly not the guard. I pop t heir heads off with Level 4 Lightning and then kick their heads around town.

Soul4ger

BeOnEdge said:
ok i'm stuck. where the fuck is "the bandit camp?"

Go to the town where the Hero was born. On the beach, where that one woman is waiting for her husband, there's a cave. Go in there, and you'll be on the right track.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
For all those that doubted, proof that the Harbinger sucks ass (even before you complete the game)

hiryu.jpg

Miburou

That long-ass tutorial sure was boring (and not very useful).

I rented the game (Fable sales -1), so I don't have access to the manual, but can you do bad deeds without getting a bad reputation (if there are no witnesses)? Also, can you be Evil without looking silly with horns and such? Also, I thought it was pretty silly for people being attacked by wasps to be calling me a chicken chaser.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
You buy your title from vendors (theres one outside the heros guild). Your alignment changes whether people see you or not, but if you bad deeds infront of them they are more likely to see you as evil (even if you change your alignment to good).

No you cant be evil without the horns (as far as your stats go).

belgurdo

Banned
Miburou said:
That long-ass tutorial sure was boring (and not very useful).

I rented the game (Fable sales -1), so I don't have access to the manual, but can you do bad deeds without getting a bad reputation (if there are no witnesses)? Also, can you be Evil without looking silly with horns and such? Also, I thought it was pretty silly for people being attacked by wasps to be calling me a chicken chaser.

Like Ghost said, pretty much any evil act nets you evil points (except for killing the attendants at Skorm Temple, pretty much the only time you get good points for killing people other than bandits.) If you decide to off people in town (with good alignment) and then immediately pay for it or apologize, they'll call you "killer" for about a day then forget about it

Prine

Banned
I just completed 3 hours this morning, my first 3 hours of Fable that is.

And i thinks its fucking incredible. The game is beautifully crafted, controlling my hero reminds me of Super MArio 64, the way he leans to the left and right so convincingly, i was running in circles for about 6 minutes, just in awe of the animation.

For something made out of polygons, theres no straight line, no cardboard cut outs, everything looks so natural and organic. Grass swaying, trees casting shadows over the terrain, lush thick woodland with excellent use of bloom lighting, the game oozzes charm.

So far, probably my GOTY. Its just soooooo beautiful!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Prine said:
I just completed 3 hours this morning, my first 3 hours of Fable that is.

And i thinks its fucking incredible. The game is beautifully crafted, controlling my hero reminds me of Super MArio 64, the way he leans to the left and right so convincingly, i was running in circles for about 6 minutes, just in awe of the animation.

For something made out of polygons, theres no straight line, no cardboard cut outs, everything looks so natural and organic. Grass swaying, trees casting shadows over the terrain, lush thick woodland with excellent use of bloom lighting, the game oozzes charm.

So far, probably my GOTY. Its just soooooo beautiful!

So it's GOTY because it looks good and the character leans when he runs in circles?

Miburou

The game is technically very accomplished. Beautiful graphics (although things get a *little* jerky when changing directions, and I wish it had widescreen support), very nice music, and easy controls. But is there actually a plot somewhere, because so far I've just been doing one fetch quest after another, with no real overall goal.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
funcojoe said:
How do u get the sword from the stone?

Apparently you need to have strength 3 points higher than when you first tried (or max) and i needed toughness of 6 too, after you try the villagers tell you "you should work out more, you need to be really strong" or "i think you could do it if you were just a little bit tougher" etc etc, so just listen to them.

jedimike

But is there actually a plot somewhere, because so far I've just been doing one fetch quest after another, with no real overall goal.

Did you not see your family get murdered during the tutorial? There is also a summary of your story in the menu system.

Miburou

jedimike said:
Did you not see your family get murdered during the tutorial? There is also a summary of your story in the menu system.

Yeah, I saw that, but I'm talking about right now. I went through all that apprenticeship crap, and now am doing quests, but is there going to be a point to all this later on? Like, will the second-half of the game involve me trying to join the bandits who killed my family, only to slaughter them all one by one (for example)?

jedimike

Miburou said:
Yeah, I saw that, but I'm talking about right now. I went through all that apprenticeship crap, and now am doing quests, but is there going to be a point to all this later on? Like, will the second-half of the game involve me trying to join the bandits who killed my family, only to slaughter them all one by one (for example)?

I guess you haven't been to the bandit camp yet ;)

Link

Fable 1.5 :D

The excitement didn't end with discussions about Dimitri.

In fact, we also caught wind of a Fable follow-up, which we can reveal is known as Fable 1.5, and began development before Fable went gold a couple of weeks ago.

Lionhead's PR people were quick to point out that Fable 1.5 is "unconfirmed" - but according to Big Blue Box staff, it's entirely real.

We don't know much about what Fable 1.5 actually is, but one can guess it's an update of some kind, as opposed to a full-on sequel (as Peter put it in our first video interview with him, the sequel would need to be as "fresh and original" as the first game).

In fact, it was when discussing the possibility of downloadable content for Fable, that a Lionhead designer mentioned the arousing existence of Fable 1.5 - suggesting it could be an Xbox Live update - though we wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being the long-rumoured PC version of the game either.

And obviously, we wouldn't be surprised to see a full-on Fable 2 at some stage either. After all, there's always Peter's comment from our first interview to consider: "If we were thinking about a sequel... then co-op play and online would be one of things we'd think of putting in there."

And no, none of this relates to the censored portion of the second interview... that, we really can't talk about - Lionhead said so.

Top Bottom