• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Toby

FromTheFuture said:
Hrm... i'm going around GAF and i can't help but notice the lack of a PC game recommendation thread? Is there one i don't know about? This sucks, i want a game to play on my new rig but i got nothing. I wish i knew someone with a loaded Steam account i could borrow!

Also Toby, awhile back someone recommended to me Rosewill RCX-Z940-LX and told me it is an Akasa heatsink/fan that has been rebranded under Rosewill at lower price. Worth checking out? But isn't $20-40 a decently sized range for CPU heatsinks?
Get the ARMA II, Zeno Clash and Trine demo's. I have had a lot of fun with them recently.

I have seen that heatsink suggested, but it mostly is said to be "decent". I thought there might be a better one in the upper $30 dollar range that might be better, but was just checking.

Firestorm

FromTheFuture said:
Hrm... i'm going around GAF and i can't help but notice the lack of a PC game recommendation thread? Is there one i don't know about? This sucks, i want a game to play on my new rig but i got nothing. I wish i knew someone with a loaded Steam account i could borrow!

Also Toby, awhile back someone recommended to me Rosewill RCX-Z940-LX and told me it is an Akasa heatsink/fan that has been rebranded under Rosewill at lower price. Worth checking out? But isn't $20-40 a decently sized range for CPU heatsinks?
I think someone asked and I said:

Bioshock
Mirror's Edge
The Orange Box

And something or another. Get those for now. That's $70 for 7 amazing games that you'll be able to make look amazing.

Alright, so I'm just about to start my first build ever, and I have aboslutely no idea what I'm doing. These are my tentative component picks, but I know I'm probably making a few obvious mistakes.

Here they are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
VC: XFX HD-489A-ZDEC Radeon HD 4890 Xtreme 1GB
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB
DVDRW: SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222A
CASE/PS: Antec Sonata Designer 500 Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
super metroid said:
Alright, so I'm just about to start my first build ever, and I have aboslutely no idea what I'm doing. These are my tentative component picks, but I know I'm probably making a few obvious mistakes.
I'd grab a SATA drive if you can find a Samsung in stock anywhere, just the matter of a cleaner case.

super metroid

Just minor changes:
Shappire HD4890 Vapor-X or Toxic (better heatsinks, lower temps)
CoolerMaster RC-690 Case
Corsair VX550 / TX650 PSU

Gowans

brain_stew said:
Its looking like a new build for me, though you may have some salvagable parts. New components are at a historic low so its hard to recommend anyone to buy premium priced parts for outdated platforms.

Is this a "OEM" PC or a custom build? If its from HP/DELL could you link to the specific machine and if its a custom build could you link me to the actual motherboard specification, thanks.

How much RAM do you actually have, your description was far too confusing.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
if you want to play the latest games, there isn't much anything to salvage, save a dvd drive and that's it. cyberpower is nice if you dont want to build (but im not sure if tehy ship overseas) newegg to buy all your parts, (check the first page of this thread) and brain_stew made a thread about how to build a gaming PC for 500 dollars (british pounds?) or so.

Bugger, it was her Uni work machine, I had high hopes after seeing the 512 on the graphics card settings then all was dashed :(

Its a OEM PC her Dad put together, fully gutted my laptop is better.

I'll check the stats again tonight with the memory etc. need a new Wireless card too got some shitty 11mps usb dongle on it, at least her monitor does 1440x900 natively.

Don't mind popping to Falcon in Sunderland or hitting online for some bargains only will be able to get a way with about a hundred quid max on this with a kid coming in 7 weeks I have to save.
(though any slightly better abandoned spare parts would be welcomed I guess)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I was going to make a thread for this but I figured everyone would just link this one :lol

Does anyone in here have any experience with software programs that enable Dolby Digital and DTS out through a SPDIF cable? I'm trying to get DD to work in games without buying a new sound card and apparently it's possible entirely through software, but so far the only thing I've managed to do with AC3Filter is enable my onboard audio to play DTS.

Minsc said:
If you wait a few months, there's new gpus coming out that use a ton less power, so you'll see some amazing notebooks out soon.

Thanks. My dad could use a "new" computer so I've been thinking about giving him my Dell XPS M1530

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
brain_stew said:
I was a bit taken aback when I saw the specs and power demands of them chips, they look a real breakthrough. Heck, they're even DX 10.1 compatible and use GDDR5, unlike any other Nvidia chips. To squeeze in most of the performance of a desktop 9800GT into 28w is a heck of an achievement.

The 8800GTX hit with a TDP of around 180w, yet now you can get a mobile part that stands up really well to it with a TDP over 6x as low. A 5-6x increase in performance/watt in around 2 and a half years is decent progress by my reckoning.
A 40nm equivalent of the GTX 260 Core 216 will be ready to appear in mobile form within the next 6 to 8 months.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
This is like the third time in two months I've posted on GAF about this, but my computer has been out of order since forever, and after many financial ups and downs, I am able to afford replacing parts/upgrading it finally - I was about to hit the 'purchase' button when I remembered that I am far from an expert, so I should get some expert advice before wasting my extremely precious money.

Mobo - Asus - $70 or Gigabyte - $105
Was leaning towards the Gigabyte, but was wondering if I could get away with the Asus?

Case+PSU - Logisys - $48
I know I know, cheap is bad when it comes to cases/power supplies, but I am broke as hell and this has a lot of solid reviews.

CPU cooling - Arctic Cooling $30
I think this is good enough?

Memory - OCZ $60
I'm not really that good with the ins and outs of memory, but as far as I know this will serve me well for a long time, and I cant go wrong with that price.

GPU - Powercolor 4850 - $130
I don't really know this brand, but I like the price for the 4850.

Tell me if I am wrong?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
HELP!

My monitor wasn't getting a signal this morning, so after numerous tests I unplugged my VC and plugged my sweet 23" HD monitor (DELL 23SOD) into the direct-to-video VGA port on the main MB and it worked. So I have a bad video card.

1. I need to replace my video card. Where is the best place to do that?

2. Is there more than one brand to choose from?

3. How do I know what the minimum/maximum-spec'd cards will work with my current setup?

4. Why did it go bad? Maybe got overworked pumping the highest-possible res?

5. What is the absolute cheapest option to fix this? I need a card that can output 1900xw/e res without dying. I was playing Age of Empires III for about 4 hours per night over the past week. Would that have caused it?

6. I know I'm a complete n00b but I am capable of doing the work myself. Can you point me to a cheap card to get that will meet my needs (watching regular resolution DVDs and playing games that are a few years old) and the appropriate store/site to purchase it from?

Thank you guys. I'm freaking out!

PantherLotus said:
HELP!

My monitor wasn't getting a signal this morning, so after numerous tests I unplugged my VC and plugged my sweet 23" HD monitor (DELL 23SOD) into the direct-to-video VGA port on the main MB and it worked. So I have a bad video card.

1. I need to replace my video card. Where is the best place to do that?

2. Is there more than one brand to choose from?

3. How do I know what the minimum/maximum-spec'd cards will work with my current setup?

4. Why did it go bad? Maybe got overworked pumping the highest-possible res?

5. What is the absolute cheapest option to fix this? I need a card that can output 1900xw/e res without dying. I was playing Age of Empires III for about 4 hours per night over the past week. Would that have caused it?

6. I know I'm a complete n00b but I am capable of doing the work myself. Can you point me to a cheap card to get that will meet my needs (watching regular resolution DVDs and playing games that are a few years old) and the appropriate store/site to purchase it from?

Thank you guys. I'm freaking out!

What are you specs? Price range? If you want a higher-end card you may need to take into account your power supply wattage, if you know it. Newegg is a good place to start. Off the top of my head an ati 4870 or nvidia 260 are very popular and affordable cards at the moment. They can be had in the $150 or so range.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
SuperEnemyCrab said:
What are you specs? Price range? If you want a higher-end card you may need to take into account your power supply wattage, if you know it. Newegg is a good place to start. Off the top of my head an ati 4870 or nvidia 260 are very popular and affordable cards at the moment. They can be had in the $150 or so range.

Not sure what specs you want:

AMD Athlon 64 2800+
1.81 GHz, 960 MB RAM

So after failing repeatedly with trying to make HDMI with my 4890 work with windows 7, I gave up and reverted back to optical plugged directly into my motherboard. It works with 5.1 (most of the time) but it seems totally dependent on the game and seems random at times. For example, Crysis 1 playbacks two channel, but Crysis Warhead and Source games are all playing back in 5.1. Like HDMI there is no option for me to switch it to 5.1 in any motherboard sound manager or the control panel sound manager.

I'm thinking I should just cave and get a sound card w/optical out for my 5.l. Does anyone know if this is a good product? http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=17791

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Well I assume your video card was PCI-Express not AGP, right?

Found the email from my Uncle who built it:

Case: Mid Tower ATX w/ front USB 2.0 (black)
Power Supply: (400 watt ATX)

Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M
VIA K8M800 Chipset 800MHz FSB DDR400
with 6-Channel Audio, LAN, SATA, AGP 8X, USB 2.0

Processor: 1.8 Ghz - AMD Athlon 64 2800
Graphics Card: 128 MB - Radion 8500 DDR, AGP, dual monitor out
Memory: 1 GB - DDR PC2700 - Kingston KVR333X64C25/1G

Disk:
- Hard C: 120 GB - MAXTOR 6L120PO (8 MB buffer, 7200 RPM /Ultra EIDE ATA/133)

CD R/W: 52x32x52 - ASUS CRW-5232AS

========

And I added in a DVDR when I got it.

MoFuzz

Kinitari said:
This is like the third time in two months I've posted on GAF about this, but my computer has been out of order since forever, and after many financial ups and downs, I am able to afford replacing parts/upgrading it finally - I was about to hit the 'purchase' button when I remembered that I am far from an expert, so I should get some expert advice before wasting my extremely precious money.

Was leaning towards the Gigabyte, but was wondering if I could get away with the Asus?

Case+PSU - Logisys - $48
I know I know, cheap is bad when it comes to cases/power supplies, but I am broke as hell and this has a lot of solid reviews.

Memory - OCZ $60
I'm not really that good with the ins and outs of memory, but as far as I know this will serve me well for a long time, and I cant go wrong with that price.

Tell me if I am wrong?

Motherboard - I would definitely fork over the extra $20 bucks or so for the Gigabyte, it's a regular ATX sized mobo, as opposed to mATX for the ASUS. Also, the Gigabyte sports a P45 chipset, whereas the Asus goes with the crappier G31. Not really worth skimpking out on the mobo as it's what everything else is built off of. Also, if you're going with a mid-range to high end video card (which it looks like you are), it'll fit much better on a ATX mobo.

Case+PSU - I bought this as part of an NCIX bundle back in 2006. While the case itself is decent, the PSU is absolutely atrocious, do not hook up your brand new components to it. Mine kept causing the comp to restart every 10 to 15 minutes. Plus when you pull it out of the case, you can just tell it's a cheaply made POS. I realize you are on a tight budget, but the PSU powers all of your components and should not be overlooked. Also consider that mine had trouble powering a Pentium D CPU with GeForce 6200. :lol

RAM - Looks good, anything from G.Skill, Corsair or OCZ should serve well.

GPU - For $30 more, a Radeon 4870 would be a pretty noticable upgrade.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index....870 1GBD5&manufacture=PowerColor&promoid=1187

If it's not financially feasible, the 4850 will do just fine by playing most games at high (not max) settings

PantherLotus said:

Disk:

========

400W power supply?

Kinitari said:

Case+PSU - Logisys - $48

Memory - OCZ $60

Tell me if I am wrong?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

cheaper RAM, just as good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

Grayman

PantherLotus said:

Disk:

========

For AGP slot your pickings will be slim but you will really overpay for whatever performance it gets compared to a modern card.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Grayman said:
For AGP slot your pickings will be slim but you will really overpay for whatever performance it gets compared to a modern card.
I recommend a Powercolor 3850. It overclocks to well over stock 3870 speeds and should play everything on the market at decent settings / framerate. He's probably going to be CPU limited and not GPU limited.

Grayman

PantherLotus said:
I have no idea what that means, but I have some concern that w/e caused it to happen (first ever burnt card) would happen again.
sometimes they do just get old. You can monitor the temperatures on new card and if it has an adjustable fan you can speed that up.

When one of my cards died it was after a few years of my parents just using the computer for the internet. I had played games on it near constantly at times for years and it was fine, i was at lower resolutions though.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
MoFuzz said:
Motherboard - I would definitely fork over the extra $20 bucks or so for the Gigabyte, it's a regular ATX sized mobo, as opposed to mATX for the ASUS. Also, the Gigabyte sports a P45 chipset, whereas the Asus goes with the crappier G31. Not really worth skimpking out on the mobo as it's what everything else is built off of. Also, if you're going with a mid-range to high end video card (which it looks like you are), it'll fit much better on a ATX mobo.

Case+PSU - I bought this as part of an NCIX bundle back in 2006. While the case itself is decent, the PSU is absolutely atrocious, do not hook up your brand new components to it. Mine kept causing the comp to restart every 10 to 15 minutes. Plus when you pull it out of the case, you can just tell it's a cheaply made POS. I realize you are on a tight budget, but the PSU powers all of your components and should not be overlooked.

RAM - Looks good, anything from G.Skill, Corsair or OCZ should serve well.

GPU - For $30 more, a Radeon 4870 would be a pretty noticable upgrade.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index....870 1GBD5&manufacture=PowerColor&promoid=1187

If it's not financially feasible, the 4850 will do just fine by playing most games at high (not max) settings

Thanks for the advice, I was about to go through with the purchase and you caught me. But I have to decide, either get the 4870 or get a new psu/case+psu bundle. I am leaning towards the PSU ^^''.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Grayman said:
sometimes they do just get old. You can monitor the temperatures on new card and if it has an adjustable fan you can speed that up.

This case does have an external thermal display that hovers between 77.0 and 78.2.

Powercolor 3850, eh? Can I buy one locally like at a Best Buy or what?

PantherLotus said:
I have no idea what that means, but I have some concern that w/e caused it to happen (first ever burnt card) would happen again.

Just ignore the people that think your are proposing to build the computer you already have.

Your computer is pretty outdated, obviously. In theory this might not be a bad time to consider building a new one.

If that is not in the cards, maybe something like this 3650. After rebate is $55. Not really a great deal but none of the AGP cards are going to be.

Grayman

PantherLotus said:
This case does have an external thermal display that hovers between 77.0 and 78.2.

Newegg.com would work as well. The card will actually be a big upgrade for you. Your computer has many temperatures inside, i've seen up to 40C variances in different parts of computer. I assume those temps on your display are Fahrenheit?

PantherLotus said:

BB's website lists all of 2 AGP cards.

They are trying to sell you
VisionTek - ATI RADEON HD2400 Pro 512MB DDR2 AGP Graphics Card

for over $100. It's way, way worse than the $50ish card I linked.

Buying a video card at BB is equivalent to going to VGChartzzz for your sales data fix.

[edit] a 3850 is going to cost you close to $100. I'd say that is too much to sink into an AGP video card, but that is up to you.

MoFuzz

Kinitari said:
Thanks for the advice, I was about to go through with the purchase and you caught me. But I have to decide, either get the 4870 or get a new psu/case+psu bundle. I am leaning towards the PSU ^^''.

No worries. Was looking at their sale page and spotted the following:

RAM - http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=39771&promoid=1187

comparable quality as the OCZ and cheaper too.

Case - If you've opted to go with seperate PSU+Case, how about this case? It costs as much as you were looking to spend on the Logisys case anyways, except it has way better airflow, ventilation and build quality:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=20935&vpn=RC-330-KKN1&manufacture=COOLERMASTER

PSU - these look like a good bang for the buck, and should provide rock solid reliability.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index....manufacture=Seasonic Electronics&promoid=1187

http://www.ncix.com/products/index....00SXS&manufacture=OCZ Technology&promoid=1187

Firestorm

Kinitari said:

Case+PSU - Logisys - $48

Memory - OCZ $60

Tell me if I am wrong?
Guessing you're using your old CPU? Do you need a CPU Cooler unless you overclock?

Remember to check NCIX's sale page before ordering: http://www.ncix.com/promo/promosale.php?webid=stampede2009

And remember to check their competitor's using PriceCanada or ShopBot.ca or something similar to price match the parts if they're cheaper elsewhere.

The Powercooler 4870 is $30 more after mail in rebate.
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=35105&vpn=AX4870 1GBD5&manufacture=PowerColor&promoid=1187

This RAM is $45 after mail in rebate.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=39771&promoid=1187

Atilac

What's a good range of temps for a 4890 @1.4v with stock cooling? I'm trying to tweak it to 1000/1050. What's to hot?

Any idea on fan speed settings? I'm less concered about noise and more worried on blowing the cooling Fan out.

PantherLotus said:

AGP cards are to outdated to be carried at most stores locally, or if they have them they are overpriced since they know if you need one, it's going to be hard to find one so they over charge.

I would say the powercolor 3850 is a decent low-end card.

This card would also be worth considering i think: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125281

(GIGABYTE GV-R465D2-1GI Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 8X HDCP Ready Video Card )

One thing to keep in mind though is that an AGP card will be worthless when you get a new system, you won't be able to carry it over to a new computer in the future. Just FYI.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Thanks Firestorm/MoFuzz

Took out the CPU cooler, didn't need it, just like to be extra cautious but it looks like its really just for OCing - saved 30 bucks

Thanks for the Memory tip too, that saved me another 25 bucks

Too bad about my case + psu, Im looking to get the case you showed me plus the 60 dollar PSU, that puts me at net +$5, not bad.

I didn't think I could swing another 30 bucks for a card, but I talked to my girlfriend and she okay'd it! Huzzah, so the 4870 it is.

Unless you guys object, I am going to checking by the end of the day~ thanks again for the advice.

Firestorm

Kinitari said:
Thanks Firestorm/MoFuzz

Took out the CPU cooler, didn't need it, just like to be extra cautious but it looks like its really just for OCing - saved 30 bucks

Thanks for the Memory tip too, that saved me another 25 bucks

Too bad about my case + psu, Im looking to get the case you showed me plus the 60 dollar PSU, that puts me at net +$5, not bad.

I didn't think I could swing another 30 bucks for a card, but I talked to my girlfriend and she okay'd it! Huzzah, so the 4870 it is.

Unless you guys object, I am going to checking by the end of the day~ thanks again for the advice.
If you don't need everything from NCIX, buy the power supply from Canada Computers instead:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=016235&cid=PS.731

$30 MIR instead of $10 MIR. Same one as MoFuzz listed. This only puts you $10 cheaper and it's only if you live where you can pick it up as you'd have to pay a separate $6.99 shipping charge otherwise.

I noticed that the RAM is PC2-8500 while the Asus motherboard says it supports PC2-6400. I'm not sure if that's compatible or not so someone should probably weigh in.

If you don't get free shipping from NCIX, use coupon code TWITTER00FSJ9 for free shipping over $200 until July 12th.

Firestorm said:
If you don't need everything from NCIX, buy the power supply from Canada Computers instead:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=016235&cid=PS.731

$30 MIR instead of $10 MIR. Same one as MoFuzz listed. This only puts you $10 cheaper and it's only if you live where you can pick it up as you'd have to pay a separate $6.99 shipping charge otherwise.

I noticed that the RAM is PC2-8500 while the Asus motherboard says it supports PC2-6400. I'm not sure if that's compatible or not so someone should probably weigh in.

If you don't get free shipping from NCIX, use coupon code TWITTER00FSJ9 for free shipping over $200 until July 12th.

it's DDR2 memory right? i think it should be allright.

MisterAnderson said:
So it seems that MWS Natural was able to get 4890 HDMI 5.1 channel operational on XP but had the same problem I had with Windows 7 and never found a solution (although he hasn't been able to do much about it since his 4890 is RMA'd currently). I'm wondering if I should just save myself the trouble, cut my losses and just buy myself a decent sound card to go optical.

Anyone know if this is a good buy? http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=17791

Since its for games and your require Dolby Digital Live, you're pretty much going to have to get an X-FI based card.

The Asus Xonar range is worth looking into, though their support of older games in multi channel isn't upto par with the X-Fi its better than any of the other alternatives. General sound quality will be much better on the XONAR THOUGH, SO THE CHOICE IS YOURS.

You may just be better off waiting for some more mature W7 drivers though, it is a pre-release OS afterall.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Firestorm said:

Holy crap, so much help~

1. Going to Canada Computers isn't worth it, too far for me, thanks anyway though.
2. I am getting the Gigabyte mobo, not the Asus.
3. Im going to try the code right now on my shopping cart (Which conveniently emptied itself again...) and see if it works, that would save me like another 50 bucks.

You're making me happy~

Minsc

Gold Member
I dont know if it's too late, but I have a new powercolor ATI 3850 that's up for grabs. Shipping only! PM me if you're interested. And no reselling! I only want to bother if someone's going to use it.

Kinitari said:

Case+PSU - Logisys - $48

Memory - OCZ $60

Tell me if I am wrong?

Please don't buy that case/PSU combo. You'd be running a serious risk of it blowing up and taking out your other components. It sure as hell isn't cheap if it means you need to buy a brand new motherboard.

I assume you already have a CPU? What is it? If you don't, you should really be looking down the Phenom ii route instead imo.

Top Bottom