• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Shapingo

I'm going to be buying a new PC with a i7-920, does anyone here have one overclocked; tell me about their ability/reliability when OC'd.

The DDR3 ram is expensive anyone know of a place cheaper than Tigerdirect?

Coldsnap

I'm .5 seconds away from chucking my computer into a lake. I've been trying to fix the damn thing for two months heres my problem and heres the steps I have taken:

Problem: Computer will power up but I get no picture. All the fans and hardrives are spinning and mouse lights up. The thing is it will sometimes boot with picture, when I say sometimes I mean if I sit there for 30 minutes turning it back on and off it will probably work once.

What I've done:
Updated Bios
Cleared CMOS
Tested another monitor
Tested another power cord and testing a VGA cord to monitor
Tried to boot with no ram
Inspected Motherboard for swollen or leaky things
Bought a new video card
Wiped all my drives and started over with windows 7

Between these steps it would go from working to not working, I would get it booted turn it off to go to sleep and not be able to get it to boot for a few days. At the point where I wiped my windows information I was done with the computer, I took it to a computer technician who said my 500w Antec Earthtec was not giving it enough power. He threw a 650w Antec into it and had it up and running for two days while restarting it multiple times. So i drove home stoked that my computer was fixed just to plug it in the moment I got home to get no picture. I think I have some anger issues because I had to talk myself down multiple from wanting to punch the machine. I don't know what to do next, help.

Doytch

If it actually was working at the tech, try moving the setup to a different room? Maybe there's something funky in the outlet/circuit. And did the tech try it at his store with the old PSU?

Coldsnap

Doytch said:
If it actually was working at the tech, try moving the setup to a different room? Maybe there's something funky in the outlet/circuit. And did the tech try it at his store with the old PSU?

I actually did try that. I took it out to where my Dell was and plugged it into the montor there and wall outlet, got no picture. I'm guessing the guy would test out the computer before he replaced a part. maybe he didn't though.

Coldsnap

I do, front speakers in the tower. When I boot it up I get no beeps, usually theres one beep for a sucessful boot. My motherboard should be under warrently, I bought it a year and a half ago. Its a Gigabyte P45.

FreezeSSC said:
Hello gaf,

At the end of this month I'm going to building a new PC I'm really excited about it. I have a budget of about $800-$1000 and I'm contemplating a i7 build. Can anyone provide any reason if i should or shouldn't? could it be possible with my budget? I plan on getting back into PC gaming and will be using this rig for my com engineer classes (i.e. C++/MATLAB) so if anyone could give me some advice or recommendations on builds it would be greatly appreciated!!

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=794&page=1

AMD's Phenom II X4 955 FTW.

Teetris said:
The v12 rails have 22 amps, I don't know if that's enough for whatever your putting in there but I guess it is okay. Maybe look up on some reviews of the PSU (Antec EarthWatts 500).

Yeah but newer GPU's use two connectors, which means 44 amps. Its more than fine.

TheHeretic said:
Yeah but newer GPU's use two connectors, which means 44 amps. Its more than fine.

i find it bizzare that a single graphics card needs two pci-e connectors to power it. My 4890 makes my entire case hot and it has high pitch buzzing sounds =(

Firestorm

Sonata III is a good case and the Earthwatt 500 is a good PSU. Discussed a few pages back. You'll be fine for just about any single GPU setup.

Coldsnap said:
I'm .5 seconds away from chucking my computer into a lake. I've been trying to fix the damn thing for two months heres my problem and heres the steps I have taken:

Problem: Computer will power up but I get no picture. All the fans and hardrives are spinning and mouse lights up. The thing is it will sometimes boot with picture, when I say sometimes I mean if I sit there for 30 minutes turning it back on and off it will probably work once.

What I've done:
Updated Bios
Cleared CMOS
Tested another monitor
Bought a new video card

Between these steps it would go from working to not working, I would get it booted turn it off to go to sleep and not be able to get it to boot for a few days. At the point where I wiped my windows information I was done with the computer, I took it to a computer technician who said my 500w Antec Earthtec was not giving it enough power. He threw a 650w Antec into it and had it up and running for two days while restarting it multiple times. So i drove home stoked that my computer was fixed just to plug it in the moment I got home to get no picture. I think I have some anger issues because I had to talk myself down multiple from wanting to punch the machine. I don't know what to do next, help.

I think the motherboard is broken.

mr_nothin

Banned
I'm very knowledgeable about tech/comps but i'm not too privy on Solid-State Drives. What are the advantage and disadvantages of those drives? I'm a pretty power-hungry user (graphic design/gamer/audio production). I'm looking to upgrade pretty soon to a computer that isnt just "fast" but also QUICK. What I mean by that is, I want bootup times to be very short and I want my applications to start up as fast as possible. Also, I want searching to be as fast as possible.

I remember seeing some tech a while back that found all files on a hard-drive pretty much instantly. I think it was SSD but i'm not too sure. Maybe it was I-RAM? I feel like a noob asking these questions but Hard-Drive speed has been the least of my worries and I'm starting to realize just how much I'm being affected by that.

If I can get some info on that..I'd be grateful for the help :D

OH YEA, Would also like a little info about backing up my complete OS (bit for bit) to install on any other hard-drive. I always knew it was possible but never looked too deep into it.

mavs

mr_nothin said:
I'm very knowledgeable about tech/comps but i'm not too privy on Solid-State Drives. What are the advantage and disadvantages of those drives? I'm a pretty power-hungry user (graphic design/gamer/audio production). I'm looking to upgrade pretty soon to a computer that isnt just "fast" but also QUICK. What I mean by that is, I want bootup times to be very short and I want my applications to start up as fast as possible. Also, I want searching to be as fast as possible.

I remember seeing some tech a while back that found all files on a hard-drive pretty much instantly. I think it was SSD but i'm not too sure. Maybe it was I-RAM? I feel like a noob asking these questions but Hard-Drive speed has been the least of my worries and I'm starting to realize just how much I'm being affected by that.

If I can get some info on that..I'd be grateful for the help :D

SSDs aren't anything like an i-RAM even today, but they feel incredibly faster than any hard drive. Except an immaculately maintained Velociraptor, then they only feel a lot faster. The two main things to keep in mind are performance degradation and future value.

Write speeds take a dive once data is stored on an SSD because of the way they address storage space. This is countered by features like TRIM and garbage collection, but unfortunately neither of those features are fully implemented by any manufacturers. The tools they have released for enthusiasts to perform those features are not in a state that you would want to use them on any drive with data you'd give even fingernail clippings to save.

Worse, SSDs go obsolete every 3 months. This is not just due to new features popping up like TRIM but the basic specifications of these drives is improving faster than any PC component has in recent memory.

There's a few different SSD architectures out there, and if you are buying at this very moment the best ones are from Intel and Indilinx. Anandtech, Benchmark Reviews and PC Perspective are the most helpful sites to get a handle on the SSD market, but it's pretty much a nightmare like nothing I have seen in PC hardware since 2001. Or possibly ever.

mr_nothin

Banned
mavs said:
SSDs aren't anything like an i-RAM even today, but they feel incredibly faster than any hard drive. Except an immaculately maintained Velociraptor, then they only feel a lot faster. The two main things to keep in mind are performance degradation and future value.

Write speeds take a dive once data is stored on an SSD because of the way they address storage space. This is countered by features like TRIM and garbage collection, but unfortunately neither of those features are fully implemented by any manufacturers. The tools they have released for enthusiasts to perform those features are not in a state that you would want to use them on any drive with data you'd give even fingernail clippings to save.

Worse, SSDs go obsolete every 3 months. This is not just due to new features popping up like TRIM but the basic specifications of these drives is improving faster than any PC component has in recent memory.

There's a few different SSD architectures out there, and if you are buying at this very moment the best ones are from Intel and Indilinx. Anandtech, Benchmark Reviews and PC Perspective are the most helpful sites to get a handle on the SSD market, but it's pretty much a nightmare like nothing I have seen in PC hardware since 2001. Or possibly ever.

Thanks for the info :D
Was looking into the whole scene and it seems like a very shaky market. It's like in mario where you're waiting on the right time to jump on a platform, and you finally go for it and you time it just right but as soon as you land...the platform flips over and you fall to your death.

Also, with the showcasing of Sata 3.0, I'm guessing that things will only get worse because there will be even faster SSD drives out within a few months.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
mr_nothin said:
I'm very knowledgeable about tech/comps but i'm not too privy on Solid-State Drives. What are the advantage and disadvantages of those drives?
SSDs(the good ones) are extremely fast and will make your PC fly. Very expensive price per GB, though.

This is your basic primer to SSDs, although by now it's a tad old.
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

The only two kinds of affordable SSDs woth getting on the market right now are SSDs that have either the Indilinx controller or the Intel controller.

The generation 2 Intel 34nm SSDs are the best at the moment.
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3607

The OCZ Vertex drives are really good too. OCZ also has excellent support on their forum.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186

I'm using an OCZ Vertex and my bootup time is 20 seconds. Firefox opens in 1 second, and Photoshop in 3. It's amazing.

Use the SSD for your OS and page file. Use a platter drive for your data.

mr_nothin

Banned
Rentahamster said:
SSDs(the good ones) are extremely fast and will make your PC fly. Very expensive price per GB, though.

This is your basic primer to SSDs, although by now it's a tad old.
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

The only two kinds of affordable SSDs woth getting on the market right now are SSDs that have either the Indilinx controller or the Intel controller.

The generation 2 Intel 34nm SSDs are the best at the moment.
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3607

The OCZ Vertex drives are really good too. OCZ also has excellent support on their forum.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186

I'm using an OCZ Vertex and my bootup time is 20 seconds. Firefox opens in 1 second, and Photoshop in 3. It's amazing.

Use the SSD for your OS and page file. Use a platter drive for your data.
Thanks for the info.
Just looked up a couple of benchmarks and the OCZ seems like a good middle ground drive to go with (cost vs perfomance). Your boot/startup times sound good! I hate waiting for things to open. I like to jump around and back and forth.

Oh and I planned on using the SSD for my OS/page file....and then my other 3 HDD's for storage. Wouldn't want to eat up the life of the drive. Are there any stats on how long these things usually last for? Like, if you're doing a lot of data transfer to/from the drive.

mavs

mr_nothin said:
Thanks for the info.
Just looked up a couple of benchmarks and the OCZ seems like a good middle ground drive to go with (cost vs perfomance). Your boot/startup times sound good! I hate waiting for things to open. I like to jump around and back and forth.

Oh and I planned on using the SSD for my OS/page file....and then my other 3 HDD's for storage. Wouldn't want to eat up the life of the drive. Are there any stats on how long these things usually last for? Like, if you're doing a lot of data transfer to/from the drive.

The best thing about OCZ is how aggresssively they introduce new features. That TRIM and garbage collection stuff I was talking about is nearly exclusive to OCZ beta firmware. Beta is a really generous description of the completeness of the release, but they're still way out in front of all other manufacturers for support. Two notable things about OCZ: 1) there's the original Vertex and Vertex Turbo, if you can afford it the Turbo is worth it; 2) the 120gig drives have the best performance (this is true of almost all manufacturers.)

The length of the warranty is a surprisingly good indicator of the expected life of any drive.

Minsc

Gold Member
mavs said:
The best thing about OCZ is how aggresssively they introduce new features. That TRIM and garbage collection stuff I was talking about is nearly exclusive to OCZ beta firmware. Beta is a really generous description of the completeness of the release, but they're still way out in front of all other manufacturers for support. Two notable things about OCZ: 1) there's the original Vertex and Vertex Turbo, if you can afford it the Turbo is worth it; 2) the 120gig drives have the best performance (this is true of almost all manufacturers.)

The length of the warranty is a surprisingly good indicator of the expected life of any drive.

Well if you want something more specific, the Intel X-25 has a life expectancy of 1.2 million hours. Which is about 135 years.

Ysiadmihi said:
Er, I have no idea. There is a mode called "Just" or something so maybe I should try that. Also I don't want to use older drivers just for that :p

Edit: "Just" mode on my TV just stretches the picture out a little bit.

What's your TV's native resolution and what resolution are you outputting from your PC? "Just" sounds like it may be the ticket but you may not be outputting a native resolutu=ion which is why it won't be working properly.

Otheradam

Anyone know what the deal with Core i5s? Are they better or worse than Core i7? I was going to use a Core i7 920 when I build a new system around October but if one of the Core i5s are better at a comparable price, I might switch.

Minsc

Gold Member
Otheradam said:
Anyone know what the deal with Core i5s? Are they better or worse than Core i7? I was going to use a Core i7 920 when I build a new system around October but if one of the Core i5s are better at a comparable price, I might switch.

Cheaper, but slower.

For gaming there's not much difference. But then again there's not much difference between a Core i7 and a Phenom II X3 for gaming either.

Coldsnap

Coldsnap said:

What I've done:
Updated Bios
Cleared CMOS
Tested another monitor
Bought a new video card

Quoting myself so people can read my problem. When I left my house yesterday it was not booting with picture, I come how and now it will boot but the first boot came to a blue screen. I have it up and running and I'm just restarting it every 15 minutes waiting for it to not show picture. Could this possibly mean theres something short circuiting my motherboard since it will run sometimes and sometimes not? Whats the best way to test my motherboard for stability now that the computer is running?

DMczaf

Teetris said:
The v12 rails have 22 amps, I don't know if that's enough for whatever your putting in there but I guess it is okay. Maybe look up on some reviews of the PSU (Antec EarthWatts 500).

I decided against that one, and went with another case/psu combo

OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

COOLER MASTER Elite 330

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119115

Looks like some others have had good luck with these on GAF as well.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
DMczaf said:
I decided against that one, and went with another case/psu combo

OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

COOLER MASTER Elite 330

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119115

Looks like some others have had good luck with these on GAF as well.
Don't know about the PSU, but it seems very nice! I also have that case btw. It's nice and big but my power button is broken since I opened the front cover and pulled too hard. Nothing big but just letting you know that you should keep that on.

Doytch

MSI GTX 275

Reviews say it runs quieter and cooler than reference boards from EVGA/BFG, and it's only $10 more than the BFG. Any issues with build quality on these cards, though? Or should I just pull the trigger.

Ryn

I have a question,

my cousin just built a new power supply and video card for his computer. The Power supply is a Elite Power (Cooler Master) 460W, and the video card is a PNY Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT 256mb ddr3. The computer has an integrated graphics.

When we set it up the computer booted up just fine, but didnt have a vga to dvi converter. After we found one we got it plugged in and the boot up screen showed, showing that the video card was actually working. But after shutting down the computer, and then trying to turn it back on, the computer will not boot.

The fans looks like it's trying to start up, and the power light briefly blinks orange. After that it refuses to turn on. I took the graphics card out and after unplugging and replugging the computer it would turn on. But with the graphics card installed, the computer doesn't turn on.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

Doytch

Ryn said:
I have a question,

my cousin just built a new power supply and video card for his computer. The Power supply is a Elite Power (Cooler Master) 460W, and the video card is a PNY Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT 256mb ddr3. The computer has an integrated graphics.

When we set it up the computer booted up just fine, but didnt have a vga to dvi converter. After we found one we got it plugged in and the boot up screen showed, showing that the video card was actually working. But after shutting down the computer, and then trying to turn it back on, the computer will not boot.

The fans looks like it's trying to start up, and the power light briefly blinks orange. After that it refuses to turn on. I took the graphics card out and after unplugging and replugging the computer it would turn on. But with the graphics card installed, the computer doesn't turn on.

Are the integrated graphics disabled in the BIOS? Might want to try that.

YagizY said:
I know this isn't relevant to the main topic but is their like a PC game recommendation thread on GAF?
Here's a recent thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369891

(I know GAF search sucks for stuff like this, include "site:neogaf.com" in a google search to do it better)

Ryn said:
I have a question,

First thing you need to do is uninstall the integrated graphics card drivers, then install the new drivers BEFORE installing the card. after the old drivers are off, and the new drivers are on, power off, install the new card, and then go into BIOS, and disable the integrated graphics.

Hopefully that helps a bit

Doytch

StreetDisciple said:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 is reading 1.60 GHz in the system menu. can anyone tell me what is going on here? Shoild be reading 3.2

Do AMDs do some sort of speed stepping? As in, if it's not using 100%, it'll step down the frequency to save power/battery.

Ryn

KittyKittyBangBang said:
First thing you need to do is uninstall the integrated graphics card drivers, then install the new drivers BEFORE installing the card. after the old drivers are off, and the new drivers are on, power off, install the new card, and then go into BIOS, and disable the integrated graphics.

Hopefully that helps a bit

Though, when the new card is in the computer, the computer won't even turn on. Will the drivers be able to fix that? As of right now, I can't reach the BIOS with the new card installed.

Doytch said:
Do AMDs do some sort of speed stepping? As in, if it's not using 100%, it'll step down the frequency to save power/battery.

They do.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 is reading 1.60 GHz in the system menu. can anyone tell me what is going on here? Should be reading 3.2

Check the bios and see what the multiplier is set at.

Doytch

Ryn said:
Though, when the new card is in the computer, the computer won't even turn on. Will the drivers be able to fix that? As of right now, I can't reach the BIOS with the new card installed.

This is how I'd do it. Boot using integrated gfx, uninstall drivers, reboot into BIOS, disable integrated graphics, save and exit, shut off. Install new card, turn on, hope you get video.

Ryn

I did all of the above, and the computer still did not boot with the new graphics card. I'm assuming something may be wrong with the graphics card then? Though I don't understand how it worked once, then afterwords refused to turn back on.

okay found out what it is..apparently this Gigabyte motherboard had a problem with the CPU reading it at half its clock speed. Just needed to flash it with the latest update. Works fine now.

JdFoX187

Banned
I ordered a new cooler for my CPU seeing as I can't get the damn thing below 80 degrees. I think my fan is borked or something. Either way, I'm not putting too much stress on it at the moment :lol

I keep seeing benchmarks online for Far Cry 2 and other games with my set up getting double the framerate at my resolution. But, I noticed their i7 920s were OC'd to at least 3.5 ghz. My CPU is at stock 2.6 ghz right now. When I get a cooler and OC it, am I going to see the framerate bump that high? Because I've heard OCing the CPU doesn't garner much of a framerate boost.

KillerAJD

Ryn said:
I did all of the above, and the computer still did not boot with the new graphics card. I'm assuming something may be wrong with the graphics card then? Though I don't understand how it worked once, then afterwords refused to turn back on.
This happened to me awhile back. Essentially, a friend let me borrow one of his older cards he didn't use anymore, and it worked fine for awhile, but soon it wouldn't boot with the card installed. Unfortunately, I never did figure out what was wrong with it, but my friend and I suspected the card was gone. Try and find a different card to test with, or even try putting the card you have in a different computer. That may narrow down your possible problems.

Koshiba

Anyone have any good keyboard/mouse recommendations? I recently got a new computer but realized I've used the same keyboard and mouse for years which are very worn out and old now. Maybe something that is comfortable to use since so much computer use has me with wrist problems. Wireless or wired doesn't really matter, I don't have a particular preference but I've only ever used wired.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109148 I've been told this style of keyboard is good but I've never used one myself, anyone have experience with it? Seems like it would be a weird typing adjustment.

Azure J

Hey guys, random question time. What's the word on the street currently for ATi's DX11 mobile parts and ATi/nVidia 40nm GPUs in notebooks? It feels like its been ages since anything has been mentioned on either front.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Koshiba said:
Anyone have any good keyboard/mouse recommendations? I recently got a new computer but realized I've used the same keyboard and mouse for years which are very worn out and old now. Maybe something that is comfortable to use since so much computer use has me with wrist problems. Wireless or wired doesn't really matter, I don't have a particular preference but I've only ever used wired.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109148 I've been told this style of keyboard is good but I've never used one myself, anyone have experience with it? Seems like it would be a weird typing adjustment.
As one who is on the computer a lot I can't stand those keyboards at all. If you can they are supposedly better for you.

I currently use a Saitek Eclipse (Because I got it for $20) but I like how the key presses work, and of course I can hold 3 or 4 keys without it failing on me.

Mouse wise I suggest a MX Revolution if you can spend it (I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it, but it feels fantastic) Alternatives are MX518, G5, G7, etc.
mx1.jpg

JdFoX187 said:
I ordered a new cooler for my CPU seeing as I can't get the damn thing below 80 degrees. I think my fan is borked or something. Either way, I'm not putting too much stress on it at the moment :lol

I keep seeing benchmarks online for Far Cry 2 and other games with my set up getting double the framerate at my resolution. But, I noticed their i7 920s were OC'd to at least 3.5 ghz. My CPU is at stock 2.6 ghz right now. When I get a cooler and OC it, am I going to see the framerate bump that high? Because I've heard OCing the CPU doesn't garner much of a framerate boost.
FC2 weighs a bit more on the CPU iirc, but a i7 should be doing fine already.
Did you check their settings and resolution vs. yours? What fps are you getting?
And you should be overclocked anyway :p

Pachinko

Hey guys, just throwing my hat into this thead once more. I was having alot of computer issues with a rather potent and recent virus (some new trojan that locks out 90% of virus scanners and malware removal tools) anyway I got rid of it finally but was half tempted to just replace this old gal.

So while browsing newegg I noticed this- http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229102

And I notice it's got lots of good reviews, seems to have parts worth more by themselves then what the system is selling for and figured, what does gaf-pc-age think about it?

I realize there are atleast 3 flaws with this system that likely all contribute to it's lower price- it's only got 4 ram slots instead of the 6 some other motherboards have , it doesnt' come with a voucher good for a free windows 7 upgrade and finally the included videocard is low to mid teir so essentially you'd max this thing out within a year or so of upgrades and spend a few hundred bucks doing so.

Despite this , I'm curious what you guys think.

What I want in a pc is the following-
I want one based around the i7 core
I want it to run cool and quiet
I want to be able to play crysis on the highest detail setting at 30fps minimum at a resolution of 1680X1050

That last one I figure is a good ballpark because any computer that can run crysis that well can play ANYTHING else and possibly even last another year or 2 without a video card upgrade.

mileS

Yea Pachinko I'm looking for the same thing but I would like to keep it at around $900-1100(CAD)

That looks like a pretty good deal. I'm lost these days when it comes to building a PC so I wouldn't know any better.

Firestorm

mileS said:
Yea Pachinko I'm looking for the same thing but I would like to keep it at around $900-1100(CAD)

That looks like a pretty good deal. I'm lost these days when it comes to building a PC so I wouldn't know any better.
I posted this just a while ago:

Antec Three Hundred Mini ATX Case - $53.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=29812&promoid=1015

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Power Supply: after price match it's $79.99 - $20 MIR = $59.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=33041
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=019983&cid=PS.830

Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2) RAM: $68.99 - $22 MIR = $46.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=38282&promoid=1015

Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - Price match to $117.03
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=36856
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD8124

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Black Edition: $199.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=38048&promoid=1015
(comes with a bundle option for the Assembly so click that to save $9 on assembly)

Samsung SH-S223F Black 22x DVD Writer SATA - after Price Match it's $27.24
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=41501&promoid=1015

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB - $73.55
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=34286&promoid=1015
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/190346/WD6401AALS/Western Digital/

CHOICE OF:
XFX Radeon 4890 - after price match it's $214.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=37430&vpn=HD489AZDFC&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1016
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359

OR

BFG GTX 275 - after price match it's $242.99 - $30 MIR = $212.55
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=37633 [url]http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=23310BD9007

Total
ATi: $849.99 - $42 MIR = $794.12
nVidia: $876.68 - $85 MIR = 791.66
With Assembly it comes to just $41 more than the listed price.

Although you might want a quieter case.

If you want an i7... I think it might be worth waiting until the i5s come out next month.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
TheHeretic said:
Having a laptop with no ability to play games and a desktop PC is always a better setup than a laptop that tries to be two things at once.

Hmm... I guess there is merit to this. =P Kind of takes the minimalism away from things, but yeah. Point taken.

Top Bottom