• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Interfectum

Building a gaming PC (based of brain_stew's $800 one), let me know if I missed anything before I purchase:

PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W
CASE: Antec Sonata Elite Black
DVD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM
GPU: HIS H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3
CPU FAN: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
MB: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

total cost: ~$900

How's this for a gaming PC that should last me a couple years?

Interfectum said:
Building a gaming PC (based of brain_stew's $800 one), let me know if I missed anything before I purchase:

PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W
CASE: Antec Sonata Elite Black
DVD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM
GPU: HIS H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3
CPU FAN: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
MB: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

total cost: ~$900

How's this for a gaming PC that should last me a couple years?

Looks great. The PSU is a heavyweight considering you aren't opting to go into crossfire, but there's not that much to be saved money wise. Thats heavily discounted.

This is what I use http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001 because its modular (meaning you can disconnect unused power cables for cable management purposes) but it winds up being even more expensive!

I prefer this case, being cheaper and in my opinion more aesthetically pleasing and more functional:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

But those aren't of much consequence.

I made a very similar build for someone two pages back, main differences being DDR3 compatibility in the motherboard, DDR3 memory and some different part choices. Still that really is a perfect build minus the slightly overkill PSU. It wound up costing $870 and had some very minor technical advantages so you might want to give that a look.

Sir Hamish said:
I read it on a message board, and I didnt exactly understand, it was just a cause for concern.

The impression I got was that the poster believed Intel are going to have two CPU lines that connect to different motherboard sockets or something (as in AGP or PCI-E i think), and it means i7 processors will be much more expensive to upgrade in the future. or something, who knows :lol technobabble

i will check out that build, cheers
Yeah, the basic argument is that if you buy an i7 920 now, the only known upgrade options that would work with that motherboard are going to be 4- and 6-core processors that will cost $500-1500.

I wouldn't worry about it. The i7 920 should be plenty fast for you for a long time, especially if you overclock it. By the time you're ready to upgrade, you'll probably need (or want) to buy a new motherboard anyway. Waiting for Intel's other processor line might save you a few dollars, but the upgrade options aren't going to be any better.

Doytch

brain_stew said:
An Earthwatts 500w will run a GTX 275 just fine, don't worry.

Seriously? It's got two 12V rails at 17A. and Nvidia says it wants 40A. I was hoping not to have to upgrade the PSU, but I'm not so sure. I've got a pretty tame setup, the E6600 and one each HDD/DVD drive.

So i fired my build up for the first time today, but the GPU (Powercolor HD 4890 1gb) has three red lights on it, and nothing is coming up on my monitor, whats happened?

Interfectum

TheHeretic said:
Looks great. The PSU is a heavyweight considering you aren't opting to go into crossfire, but there's not that much to be saved money wise. Thats heavily discounted.

This is what I use http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001 because its modular (meaning you can disconnect unused power cables for cable management purposes) but it winds up being even more expensive!

I prefer this case, being cheaper and in my opinion more aesthetically pleasing and more functional:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

But those aren't of much consequence.

I made a very similar build for someone two pages back, main differences being DDR3 compatibility in the motherboard, DDR3 memory and some different part choices. Still that really is a perfect build minus the slightly overkill PSU. It wound up costing $870 and had some very minor technical advantages so you might want to give that a look.

Thanks for the suggestions! I switched over to your PSU and case.

Question... if I plan on keeping the factory speed on my CPU, do I still need a CPU cooler? Is it a good idea to go ahead and get one or is that overkill?

Interfectum said:
Thanks for the suggestions! I switched over to your PSU and case.

Question... if I plan on keeping the factory speed on my CPU, do I still need a CPU cooler? Is it a good idea to go ahead and get one or is that overkill?

The CPU cooler they give you is designed to keep your CPU cool under the worst conditions. The last thing they want is to ship out CPU's that are burning out in hotter climates. So barring any desire to overclock or finding your CPU cooler is too noisy, theres no reason at all to buy a custom cooler. If at some point you want to overclock you can buy one later.

Anyone with PSU concerns should probably check this out.

http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/default.aspx

You choose your CPU, GPU, Hard Drives and it tells you what sort of PSU you need. It doesn't seem to overestimate to try to sell you more than you need either: pretty on the level.

Good to see my 520HX can power any single GPU setup with any CPU/GPU combo! 18 months old and stronger than ever!

Zaptruder

Banned
TheHeretic said:

You choose your CPU, GPU, Hard Drives and it tells you what sort of PSU you need. It doesn't seem to overestimate to try to sell you more than you need either: pretty on the level.

Good to see my 520HX can power any single GPU setup with any CPU/GPU combo! 18 months old and stronger than ever!

Great. I'm going to need a 1000W PSU to power the PC I want to build.

*grumbles*

TheHeretic said:

Wow, that thing says a 450W could power the 750. Damn. I guess my 500 will probably do just fine, then.

Doytch said:
Seriously? It's got two 12V rails at 17A. and Nvidia says it wants 40A. I was hoping not to have to upgrade the PSU, but I'm not so sure. I've got a pretty tame setup, the E6600 and one each HDD/DVD drive.

Absolutely. Nvidia (and ATI) use really inflated figures so that people with shitty budget PSUs and lots of other high end parts can't complain and get a free replacement when they said it would work and their PSU blows up. Do you really think a no name $30 "700w" can deliver more sustained power on its 12v rail than your 5002 Earthwatts?

Its TDP is just over 220w meaning it won't draw more than 18a under absolute maximum load, so your PSU's second 12V rail will power it just fine and over 200w is more than enough for your CPU. Its a non issue.

As long as you buy a decent PSU with overvoltage and overcurrent protection there's no point buying a new PSU without at least trying to run it on your old one. Just stick to respected brands with decent efficiencey ratings and don't go overboard and you're home and dry.

A quality modern 500w PSU should power any single GPU setup just fine. In reality a dual GPU setup won't even draw that amount but some amount of reduncancy is good for efficiency.

Look here, even a 4870X2 when coupled with an OCed i7 can barely manage to draw 400w under load, do you really think your single GPU setup with a CPU that has half the power draw is using 50% more power than that!?

17191.png

I'm not saying to cheap out on the GPU and to buy a 450w PSU to power a Core i7 and 4870X2, of course not, just that most people overestimate PSU requirements by at least double. A quality 500w PSU will run any single GPU setup, end of story.

Doytch

brain_stew said:
Absolutely. Nvidia (and ATI) use really inflated figures so that people with shitty budget PSUs and lots of other high end parts can't complain and get a free replacement when they said it would work and their PSU blows up. Do you really think a no name $30 "700w" can deliver more sustained power on its 12v rail than your 5002 Earthwatts?

Its TDP is just over 220w meaning it won't draw more than 18a under absolute maximum load, so your PSU's second 12V rail will power it just fine and over 200w is more than enough for your CPU. Its a non issue.

Right, I generally ignore wattage requirements, it's the amp draw that made me do a double take.

Well my GPU problem wouldnt be power then would it? I have an Arctic Fusion 550R, it got good reviews on every site, and I only have one HDD hooked up to it. What other issues could cause it?

Fredescu said:
...and then crashed while loading a game, and then failed too boot at all after that. It works fine through HDMI though, so I don't know what I'm going to do. I might wait until my 4870 comes back and RMA this one. The fan is nice.

Vaderno.jpeg Fuck =( i get all my shit tomorrow, i double check to see if my power supply could run it and it should (they suggest 600 watts with 28 Amps ~150 watts on the +12 rail). Try disabling the audio pass through to hdmi and try running the system again. The interwebs says this batch is bad

Bad = SKU#11150-05, P/N#:288-1E115-020SA

rma it if is.

also internets says to update your bios and or reset them to stock if your OCing.

=(

JdFoX187

Banned
I built my new computer last night and everything was running fine, except for some reason the monitor says "no signal" and I can't do anything. I was trying to load FarCry 2 and I could hear the music playing normally, but couldn't do anything else.

Also, a couple times, when I press the power button, it starts to load and then it shuts off again. I'm thinking this has something to do with the temperature more than anything else.

I have a GTX 295 and a i7 2.66 ghz processor. PSU is a Corsair 750 watt. I downloaded Rivatuner and cranked the fan speed up. The sound doesn't bother me, but I hope this will fix it?

Firestorm

I need to send my 2.5" Seagate HDD for repair because it's a pile of shit and died on me. Can I stick it in my 3.5" WD HDD's little no static bag and chuck it in a bubble mailer or will that void the warranty? I know WD has stupid requirements for mailing in HDDs.

Oh and thank you for the clarification on the PSUs brain_stew.

Toby

JdFoX187 said:
I built my new computer last night and everything was running fine, except for some reason the monitor says "no signal" and I can't do anything. I was trying to load FarCry 2 and I could hear the music playing normally, but couldn't do anything else.

Also, a couple times, when I press the power button, it starts to load and then it shuts off again. I'm thinking this has something to do with the temperature more than anything else.

I have a GTX 295 and a i7 2.66 ghz processor. PSU is a Corsair 750 watt. I downloaded Rivatuner and cranked the fan speed up. The sound doesn't bother me, but I hope this will fix it?
So it just said no signal when when you ran the Far Cry 2 installer? I know that installer has done some funny stuff with my gtx 260. Whenever I would run it, I would get a pop up in the lower right corner saying my graphics drivers had encountered an error and had to be restarted/recovered. This is on Win 7.

When you get a chance, next time you have it up and running get the temps and post them here.

JdFoX187

Banned
Toby said:
So it just said no signal when when you ran the Far Cry 2 installer? I know that installer has done some funny stuff with my gtx 260. Whenever I would run it, I would get a pop up in the lower right corner saying my graphics drivers had encountered an error and had to be restarted/recovered. This is on Win 7.

When you get a chance, next time you have it up and running get the temps and post them here.
The temperature was what was causing it. I cranked the fan speed up to 100 percent and the temps never got above 40C and everything ran fine after that. I'm just getting a shit framerate for some reason right now. Can't get above 20-23 FPS on high and the resolution is not even that high.

JdFoX187

Banned
Okay, I can't get above 24 FPS in Far Cry 2 on "High" settings at 1260x768. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. I've installed the latest drivers for the GPU, but it's still not doing anything.

allreal

uh hi everyone. ima newb at this computer stuff i have a hp desktop a1330n that i had forever. and i recently got a new geforce vc and

i was wondering if i would be able to play the latest and greatest pc games on it.

so maybe i could get just a simple yes or no question.

AMD Athlon 64 2.4 GHz
1.94 gigs of ram? which i assume is 2?
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
geforce 8800 oc gts 512mb

i had to buy a new power supply so i am unable to test anything. im just wondering if everything will run okay?

maybe i could get examples of a game and how high i can put the setting?

thanks in advance.

TheHeretic said:
GPU is fine, RAM amount is fine with XP, but your processor is dated. Its a single core and its pretty slow, and will be bottleneck in many games. I honestly can't say how well you'd do in the latest games, but I could see problems arising.

AMD Athlon 64 2.4 GHz

so can i just swap this out? would i have to get a new os and everything?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
JdFoX187 said:
Okay, I can't get above 24 FPS in Far Cry 2 on "High" settings at 1260x768. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. I've installed the latest drivers for the GPU, but it's still not doing anything.
Download CPU-Z (I think GPU-Z has it now too) and check if your PCI-E bandwidth is at 1x.

If it is go into the BIOS and manually set PCI-E MHz to 100 or 101.

Also double check your power connection to the videocard

I'm having the worst PC week ever.

I moved into a new apartment over the weekend, and in preparation for relegating my current Q6600/HD4850 build to HTPC duties on my living room television I ordered one of the Newegg combos in the OP.  It was the MSI motherboard, MSI 4890 and Phenom II 945 combo.

All of the parts come, and I install everything, making sure standoffs and screws are in the right place, power cables plugged in correctly, etc.

On first boot, machine whirs up, stays on a few seconds and powers down.  Powering back up starts the machine and fans for a split second, but then cuts all power.  I remove all components to figure out what's causing it, and discover the machine only cuts out immediately when the CPU is in.

So I'm thinking I should try a different CPU to see if the board will post.  Stupidly, I think "hey, you have a perfectly running home server with a basic AMD proc inside, you should use that as a test in your new mobo."  I follow up on stupidity and find that the system no longer immediately cuts power, but I don't get any beeps or post either.  Everything spins up, just no video.

Now I think, well, time to RMA this, so lets put the server processor back in the server and call it a day.  I do so, only to discover my server does the same thing (everything spins up, but no video, no post, no beeps).  Greaaaaaat.

Thinking that maybe the mobo on the new system is bad and wrecked my server's cpu, I go grab the cheapest AM2 processor at my local store to see if I can get the server to at least post.  No dice, same result (everything spins up, but no video, no post, no beeps).

I sent the mobo and processor back to Newegg on RMA, so we'll see how that turns out.  In the meantime, I've got to figure out what of my server's parts is now toast.  I'm guessing it's the mobo.  A place about an hour away sells the board that was originally in the server, so hopefully I can get a new board and cheap processor and get it running again.  I'll probably have to server reinstall (Windows Home Server), but I think my data will be okay.

I feel like I need an MS paint diagram to figure out what parts are toast and where they were put to make them become so, but it's too depressing.  Thank god I didn't mess with the machine I was going to assign HTPC duties to, or I'd be even worse off.

Kosma

Banned
Thats a pretty awesome Watt usage chart Brainstew.

I was wondering if I would be able to replace my 3850 (next year?) with something more beefy for FFXIV as I only have a 350 Watt PSU but its seems fine :)

I prob wont even need the replacement though as the game will run on PS3 too, and my PC already kills that.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
You've probably checked this, but did you plug in the 4/8 pin CPU power to the motherboard along with the motherboard power from the PSU?
Yeah, that was one of the first things k checked after I stripped the board down to the essentials.

The sequence of fryings is just so odd.

The new machine either has a bad CPU or mobo or both. The replacement CPU couldve gotten fried by the new mobo, but it seems odd that it would in turn fry the server mobo when I put it back.

Kosma said:
Thats a pretty awesome Watt usage chart Brainstew.

I was wondering if I would be able to replace my 3850 (next year?) with something more beefy for FFXIV as I only have a 350 Watt PSU but its seems fine :)

I prob wont even need the replacement though as the game will run on PS3 too, and my PC already kills that.

Well if its a generic 350w then you very well may be out of luck. What's the specific model and/or what can it deliver on its 12V rail?

Regardless of that though, GPUs become more power efficient over time. A 4770 has a lower TDP than your 3850 yet offers way more performance.

Kosma

Banned
It's a generic one that I got together with the case. I've been looking at the 4770 yeah, seems a big leap in performance and yet low power usage. I don't really need it though...but you know how it is... ;)

Kosma said:
It's a generic one that I got together with the case. I've been looking at the 4770 yeah, seems a big leap in performance and yet low power usage. I don't really need it though...but you know how it is... ;)

In that case I'd recommend replacing as soon as you can even if its been running fine for a year. It likely has no over voltage/current protections and as such could probably run the risk of damaging your other components.

There's no need to go out and buy a 600w monster but having a reliable and efficient PSU makes all kinds of sense.

JdFoX187

Banned
Hazaro said:
Download CPU-Z (I think GPU-Z has it now too) and check if your PCI-E bandwidth is at 1x.

If it is go into the BIOS and manually set PCI-E MHz to 100 or 101.

Also double check your power connection to the videocard
I changed the settings in the BIOS and it actually made it worse. I can't even top 20 FPS now.

pseudocaesar said:
So i fired my build up for the first time today, but the GPU (Powercolor HD 4890 1gb) has three red lights on it, and nothing is coming up on my monitor, whats happened?

Anyone? I googled it, and apparently it can mean lack of power, but my PSU is 500W and a decent enough brand. Someone also mentioned a short or something, how do i test that?

pseudocaesar said:
Anyone? I googled it, and apparently it can mean lack of power, but my PSU is 500W and a decent enough brand. Someone also mentioned a short or something, how do i test that?

do you have another video card to test it with to make sure it's not the PSU? And both plugs are connected, etc? Powercolor's reputation has taken a dive lately, so you may just have a bad card...

SuperEnemyCrab said:
do you have another video card to test it with to make sure it's not the PSU? And both plugs are connected, etc? Powercolor's reputation has taken a dive lately, so you may just have a bad card...

Well my old (OLD) computer only has an AGP card, i might take it into the pc shop, see what they reckon.

JdFoX187

Banned
So I checked CPU Z and while I tried to run Far Cry 2 or Call of Duty World at War, which was barely struggling to hit 30 FPS, my CPU's core speed never topped 1865 MHz. But for some reason, the temperature is pretty high on it. It's been running around 93C. I have it properly ventelated, the case has three fans running and the fan is blowing. I'm guessing the CPU is why things are so bad. But when I ran the 3D Mark test, the two GPU tests struggled to top 20 or 30 FPS. Think I just might take this to a PC shop in the area and have them give it a looksee and maybe fix it.

zbarron

JdFoX187 said:
So I checked CPU Z and while I tried to run Far Cry 2 or Call of Duty World at War, which was barely struggling to hit 30 FPS, my CPU's core speed never topped 1865 MHz. But for some reason, the temperature is pretty high on it. It's been running around 93C. I have it properly ventelated, the case has three fans running and the fan is blowing. I'm guessing the CPU is why things are so bad. But when I ran the 3D Mark test, the two GPU tests struggled to top 20 or 30 FPS. Think I just might take this to a PC shop in the area and have them give it a looksee and maybe fix it.
Are you sure the heatsink is on the CPU securely and tight?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
JdFoX187 said:
Well you only needed to change the PCI-E bandwitdh if it was 1x instead of 16x, but yeah either your processor is probably throttling itself (or on speedstep / C1E to conserve power), but at 93C it's probably the processors fault :lol

Just reseat it and make sure all the screws are tight. (Use thermal paste)

Dynamic3

Is there a way to build a PC now and have it ready for DX11 cards (nVidia) so all you need to do is drop them in, or are they going to require new MOBO/CPU/MBs?

JdFoX187

Banned
Hazaro said:
Well you only needed to change the PCI-E bandwitdh if it was 1x instead of 16x, but yeah either your processor is probably throttling itself (or on speedstep / C1E to conserve power), but at 93C it's probably the processors fault :lol

Just reseat it and make sure all the screws are tight. (Use thermal paste)
Yeah, I'll try thermal paste and make sure it's reset. I might go ahead and add a cooler on there and OC the processor once it's cooled down. I must have done something, because I improved and was getting around 30-40 FPS on FarCry 2 at Very High and around 30-40 on World at War at whatever setting it was on.

Here are 3DMark Vantage Benchmark numbers: http://service.futuremark.com/home.action?resultId=1337795&resultType=19

Are those good for my setup?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dynamic3 said:
Is there a way to build a PC now and have it ready for DX11 cards (nVidia) so all you need to do is drop them in, or are they going to require new MOBO/CPU/MBs?
Any computer with a PCI-E slot can take any PCI-E card (Which is what DX11 cards will be on).

To make the best of the cards a good CPU is recommended.

*Those G-Skills are great, they are just from the OEM factory that makes sticks for other companies afaik (Like Foxconn)

As you can see it's the most rated RAM on newegg so :lol
I've owned those sticks before also before I upgraded and I believe got 2.0V 4-4-4-12 420Mhz out of them.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Hazaro said:
That 500w is pretty decent so I don't think you'd have a problem, if you do I'm sure newegg will take it back so no worries.

Interesting that that page says 500w (Which is lower than most:lol )
XFX says "Non-SLI: 630W Minimum Power Supply"

Just wanted to say the card arrived today and it runs great with this PSU. Overclocked it to 650mhz too and it's running completely stable. Thanks for the suggestion!

UraMallas

Will I need a dual link DVI card for a 26" monitor. Sorry if this is vague, but I'm wondering if one would typically need dual link for a 26" screen.

brain_stew said:
I'm not saying to cheap out on the GPU and to buy a 450w PSU to power a Core i7 and 4870X2, of course not, just that most people overestimate PSU requirements by at least double. A quality 500w PSU will run any single GPU setup, end of story.

Although I did read somewhere that it is good to go over your necessary voltage because the higher watts you get the less your PSU will be stressed when things ramp up. Like a higher watt PSU doesn't have to work as hard so the fan won't ramp up on it under load and it will generate less noise.

UraMallas said:
Will I need a dual link DVI card for a 26" monitor. Sorry if this is vague, but I'm wondering if one would typically need dual link for a 26" screen.

I think only 30" monitors need dual link DVI.

Does anyone have any recommended specs for a good media centre PC? I'm tossing up between getting a PS3 and using that as my media centre or simply building a media centre PC.

- It'd be hooked up to a 1080p HDTV via HDMI or VGA
- I'd want it to to be able to play HD movies without any issues/jitters
- I'd want it to have a Blu-Ray drive and a large, reliable HDD
- If possible, I'd want it to have a lightning-fast startup
- I would want it to be as small/unobtrusive as possible

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Does anyone have any recommended specs for a good media centre PC? I'm tossing up between getting a PS3 and using that as my media centre or simply building a media centre PC.

- It'd be hooked up to a 1080p HDTV via HDMI or VGA
- I'd want it to to be able to play HD movies without any issues/jitters
- I'd want it to have a Blu-Ray drive and a large, reliable HDD
- If possible, I'd want it to have a lightning-fast startup
- I would want it to be as small/unobtrusive as possible

I'm tossing this up as well. I don't know if a blu-ray drive in a PC is capable of putting out the quality of the PS3's HD display.

UPS has already delivered my PC parts. Damn and I have five more hours in this place. Is there any special tools I will need or just a phillips head?

JdFoX187

Banned
Hmm, I guess everything is running fine now. I'm getting around 45 FPS average on Far Cry 2 with everything at Very High. My CPU and GPU are both at stock speed, so I figure if I add a cooler and OC them, I should easily get up over 60 FPS.

StreetDisciple said:
UPS has already delivered my PC parts. Damn and I have five more hours in this place. Is there any special tools I will need or just a phillips head?

Just a screwdriver yeah. Build it in a static free environment, i.e not on carpet.

Top Bottom