• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Ikopi

Quick question: Is it worhtwile to get a 24" 1900x1200 monitor instead of 1900x1080? They are a bit more expensive, so are they worth the extra cash?

JdFoX187

Banned
Hazaro said:
FC2 weighs a bit more on the CPU iirc, but a i7 should be doing fine already.
Did you check their settings and resolution vs. yours? What fps are you getting?
And you should be overclocked anyway :p
My resolution is 1680x1050 and with everything on "Very High" AA 2x and V-Sync on, I'm getting around 30-45 FPS average, which is great. It looks a hell of a lot better than the 360 and it runs a little better. But, from the benchmarks I've read, they're getting double that at the same resolution. But, their i7 920s are OC'd. So I'm thinking, that's the only thing holding me back at this point.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ikopi said:
Quick question: Is it worhtwile to get a 24" 1900x1200 monitor instead of 1900x1080? They are a bit more expensive, so are they worth the extra cash?
If you like 16:10. If you got HD consoles or hooked up TV to it I'd get the 16:9. Pretty much everything supports it when it comes to pc games anyway nowadays and it seems to be becoming standard as well

I wouldn't pay the extra for it

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
JdFoX187 said:
My resolution is 1680x1050 and with everything on "Very High" AA 2x and V-Sync on, I'm getting around 30-45 FPS average, which is great. It looks a hell of a lot better than the 360 and it runs a little better. But, from the benchmarks I've read, they're getting double that at the same resolution. But, their i7 920s are OC'd. So I'm thinking, that's the only thing holding me back at this point.
I think I always get 60 with the 920 at stock in FC2.

Ikopi said:

I prefer it because I like the height - width ratio more. Matter of opinion as to whether they are worth the price.

Ikopi

TheHeretic said:
I prefer it because I like the height - width ratio more. Matter of opinion as to whether they are worth the price.

Thx Teetris en Heretic :) I'll go check it out for myself irl then.

Decado

I'd like some advice. I need more storrage space and I'd also like to upgrade my PC sometime in the next six months. I've had a experience with internal HDs. That said, I don't want to install a new internal HD in this computer if it isn't a good platform to upgrade on. Here are my specs:

Core2 Duo E6300 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 1.86GHZ 1066FSB 2MB Retail
Sapphire Radeon X1950 XT 625MHZ PCI-E 256MB GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out VIVO OEM Video Card
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 ATX LGA775 Conroe P965 DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN Audio Motherboard
OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
Coolermaster CAC-T05 Centurion 5 Aluminum ATX Tower Case 5X5.25 1X3.5 4X3.5INT SILVER-BLACK No PS
OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive
Pioneer DVR-111D Black DVD-RW 16X6X16 DVD+RW 16X8X16 DL 8X IDE OEM DVD Burner
Sony Black 1.44MB 3.5IN Floppy Drive
Logitec X-530 speakers

Your thoughts

thanks

Ikopi said:

Go 1080p. Less strain on the GPU, consoles will look much better and its great for games and movies. Even at the same cost I'd take the 16:9 display, when it can be had cheaper its a no brainer imo.

Sort of related to this post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17258706&postcount=41

Long story short my nephew asked me to recommend him a gaming laptop so he could play WoW.

But I want to give him all his option so I want to ask for a desktop recommendation also.

So I have two levels I'm asking at. The first is one at a level where it can just play World of Warcraft well. And the second level is one that plays most of the games currently out there on the PC.

The only caveat is that it must be a pre-built system. He is not computer saavy and I don't live near him to put it together so it must be a computer that you can point me to online or via a store online.

Decado said:
I'd like some advice. I need more storrage space and I'd also like to upgrade my PC sometime in the next six months. I've had a experience with internal HDs. That said, I don't want to install a new internal HD in this computer if it isn't a good platform to upgrade on. Here are my specs:

Sapphire Radeon X1950 XT 625MHZ PCI-E 256MB GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out VIVO OEM Video Card
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 ATX LGA775 Conroe P965 DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN Audio Motherboard
OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
Coolermaster CAC-T05 Centurion 5 Aluminum ATX Tower Case 5X5.25 1X3.5 4X3.5INT SILVER-BLACK No PS
OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black
Logitec X-530 speakers

Your thoughts

thanks

Just OC that processor and its primed and ready to play any game out there. A $20 cooler should make 3ghz attainable, I'd suggest buying these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200035

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150329

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152102

You might want to get some more RAM as well. 2GB is on the rather low side these days.

There's a lifetime warranty and free copy of Batman: AA with that GPU btw, great deal.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
brain_stew said:
What's your TV's native resolution and what resolution are you outputting from your PC? "Just" sounds like it may be the ticket but you may not be outputting a native resolutu=ion which is why it won't be working properly.

It's a 720p native TV and I'm using a 1080p signal (1080 still looks significantly better even though it's a 720 TV). I think all I may have to do is find an alternative stretcher, which I'm sure there has to be one...right?

Also semi-related, I bought a VH236H widescreen monitor, but my eyes are having a very tough time adjusting from my 19" 4:3. I can play games fine, but when browsing the internet, my eyes tend to get blurry very quickly, especially when reading text. I have tried different cables and settings and still can't find a solution. I thought I'd get used to it, but I've had the thing for over a week now and still have issues. Any ideas?

Stoney Mason said:
Sort of related to this post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17258706&postcount=41

Long story short my nephew asked me to recommend him a gaming laptop so he could play WoW.

But I want to give him all his option so I want to ask for a desktop recommendation also.

So I have two levels I'm asking at. The first is one at a level where it can just play World of Warcraft well. And the second level is one that plays most of the games currently out there on the PC.

The only caveat is that it must be a pre-built system. He is not computer saavy and I don't live near him to put it together so it must be a computer that you can point me to online or via a store online.

Shame you couldn't build it for him as $400 can actually get something that'll play any game out there on high/max settings at reasonable resolution these days. You're looking at around the $1000 to be able to do that with a laptop and pgaming erformance would still be only ~50-80% of a $400 desktop then anyway, so recommending the desktop route makes sense.

That said, have a look at the Phenom ii configurator at CyberPowerPC, here:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD_Phenom_II_Configurator/detail

You should be able to get a netbook + a very reasonable gaming desktop this way for under the $1000 of the laptop, and both will be much, much better at their individual jobs. Plus, future upgrades will be hassle free, which is a huge bonus if you ask me.

This is the sort of configuration I'd put together, it comes out at $899 (+$29 rebate) but includes a free copy of Street Fighter IV, Flight Simulator X Deluxe and Vista x64 w/ free Windows 7 upgrade, so that's $200 worth of software right there and this this will basically max out anything at 1080p just fine:

Cyber said:
CASE: CoolerMaster Elite 310 Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Side Panel
Neon Light Upgrade: NONE
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
POWER SUPPLY Upgrade: 635 Watts Power Supplies (Sigma Shark SP-635W PSU - SLI Ready)
CPU: AMD Phenom™II X3 720 Black Edition Triple-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
COOLING FAN : AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H AMD 785G Hybrid CrossFireX Chipset with PCIe slot DDR2 SATA RAID MB w/Built-in ATi HD4200 Graphic Core, GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394, &7.1Audio
MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
FREEBIES: None
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 CORE 216 896MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO CARD 2: None
VIDEO CARD 3: None
Free Game: FREE GAME - Street Fighters IV
MULTIPLE VIDEO CARD SETTINGS: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
LCD Monitor: NONE
2nd Monitor: NONE
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Data Hard Drive: NONE
USB PORTABLE DRIVE: NONE
Optical Drive: (Special Price) LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: NONE
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
MODEM: NONE
KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
Extra Thermal Display : NONE
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: NONE
Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
VIDEO CAMERA: NONE
PRINTER: None
PRINTER CABLE: None
IEEE CARD: NONE
USB PORT: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
FLOPPY: NONE
OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)
Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon: (Free Upgrade Coupon) Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium ($29-$29 Mail-In-Rebate = Free) (64-bit Edition)
FREEBIES: FREE! (Halo 2) Game
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
RUSH SERVICE: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

Ysiadmihi said:
It's a 720p native TV and I'm using a 1080p signal (1080 still looks significantly better even though it's a 720 TV). I think all I may have to do is find an alternative stretcher, which I'm sure there has to be one...right?

Also semi-related, I bought a VH236H widescreen monitor, but my eyes are having a very tough time adjusting from my 19" 4:3. I can play games fine, but when browsing the internet, my eyes tend to get blurry very quickly, especially when reading text. I have tried different cables and settings and still can't find a solution. I thought I'd get used to it, but I've had the thing for over a week now and still have issues. Any ideas?

Well that's your problem, they don't make 720p native TVs. You want to output 1360x768 (I'm 99% sure this is your TV's native resolution) and 1:1 map, (likely enable that "just" mode will do the trick).

If you want to supersample your games then fine, but do it the proper way through nHancer and don't use your TV's scaler to do the job poorly.

Ex wants me to recommend a general/media PC for her mom. They live pretty far away so me building them one isn't an option. What do you guys think of this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107989

Their budget is around $1,000 give a or take a few hundred. They want to be able to watch movies from it and stream content to the other devices in the house. I figured I would go a bit high end so it will be good for the next 6-8 years, which is as long as they have had their current clunker.

MWS Natural said:
Ex wants me to recommend a general/media PC for her mom. They live pretty far away so me building them one isn't an option. What do you guys think of this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107989

Their budget is around $1,000 give a or take a few hundred. They want to be able to watch movies from it and stream content to the other devices in the house. I figured I would go a bit high end so it will be good for the next 6-8 years, which is as long as they have had their current clunker.

No need to spend anything like that much tbh. Just seems like a waste to me.

Any dual core + 4GB RAM rig will basically get the job done and I doubt they'd notice any difference above that. Just make sure the case has plenty space for extra HDDs and spend the budget on 1TB HDDs not on a Core i7 which is just not needed. Oh, and make sure it has gigabit ethernet if its going to be streaming video. Those areas plus lower power usage are the things they'll notice more, not having a 100% under utilised high end GPU.

Something like this should more than suffice (its overkill if anything) at half the price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113102

or this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103218

If they need a BD drive its a very simple upgrade (heck there's always externals), if not its an unnecessary expense.

If they want a BD drive then I'd pick up this thing:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107992

$840 but its super small and has both a HDTV tuner and BD drive, wireless kb/m and remote and dedicated graphics. Its a perfect HTPC, actually a much better solution than the $1200 HP rig imo and you save nearly $400 whilst you're at it.

brain_stew said:
Shame you couldn't build it for him as $400 can actually get something that'll play any game out there on high/max settings at reasonable resolution these days. You're looking at around the $1000 to be able to do that with a laptop and pgaming erformance would still be only ~50-80% of a $400 desktop then anyway, so recommending the desktop route makes sense.

That said, have a look at the Phenom ii configurator at CyberPowerPC, here:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD_Phenom_II_Configurator/detail

You should be able to get a netbook + a very reasonable gaming desktop this way for under the $1000 of the laptop, and both will be much, much better at their individual jobs. Plus, future upgrades will be hassle free, which is a huge bonus if you ask me.

This is the sort of configuration I'd put together, it comes out at $899 (+$29 rebate) but includes a free copy of Street Fighter IV, Flight Simulator X Deluxe and Vista x64 w/ free Windows 7 upgrade, so that's $200 worth of software right there and this this will basically max out anything at 1080p just fine:

Thx for the info.

JdFoX187

Banned
I finally figured it out. Had speed step turned on in the BIOS. When I turned that off, I was getting at least 60 FPS on Far Cry 2 and well over 90 on World at War. Still not getting quite what the benchmarks on sites were, but they're OC'd. When my cooler comes in, I think I'll go ahead and OC it and see where that goes. But right now, things are good. Thanks for the help everyone.

JdFoX187 said:
I finally figured it out. Had speed step turned on in the BIOS. When I turned that off, I was getting at least 60 FPS on Far Cry 2 and well over 90 on World at War. Still not getting quite what the benchmarks on sites were, but they're OC'd. When my cooler comes in, I think I'll go ahead and OC it and see where that goes. But right now, things are good. Thanks for the help everyone.

Honestly in most circumstances SpeedStep causes more harm than good. Reducing the operating frequency barely has an appreciable affect on power usage either, its the voltage setting (which speedstep doesn't touch) which makes the difference.

Make sure both C1E and EIST are disabled in your BIOS.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
brain_stew said:
Well that's your problem, they don't make 720p native TVs. You want to output 1360x768 (I'm 99% sure this is your TV's native resolution) and 1:1 map, (likely enable that "just" mode will do the trick).

If you want to supersample your games then fine, but do it the proper way through nHancer and don't use your TV's scaler to do the job poorly.

Tried this, doesn't work.

Trying to find a program that can resize exactly like the older nVidia control panel used to do but I'm coming up empty :(

Ysiadmihi said:
Tried this, doesn't work.

Trying to find a program that can resize exactly like the older nVidia control panel used to do but I'm coming up empty :(

Try downloading NVTray, it "should" let you use the older control panel with your new drivers.

TheExodu5

Banned
Decado said:

Logitec X-530 speakers

Your thoughts

thanks

You've got a Freezer 7 Pro, so you should be able to overclock that thing plenty. Hopefully you can get 3.0GHz out of it.

The videocard could use an upgrade, and it would be a massive upgrade. Check out the GTX 275 or HD 4890 if you're willing to spend around $200.

An extra 2GB of RAM couldn't hurt either, as 2GB is probably cutting it close atm.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
brain_stew said:
Try downloading NVTray, it "should" let you use the older control panel with your new drivers.

Tried that and couldn't find the old resizer, but I tried the latest nVidia drivers which automatically adds your newly created resolution to it's custom resolution list and I can now select the one I need from within games :D

Decado

TheExodu5 said:
You've got a Freezer 7 Pro, so you should be able to overclock that thing plenty. Hopefully you can get 3.0GHz out of it.

The videocard could use an upgrade, and it would be a massive upgrade. Check out the GTX 275 or HD 4890 if you're willing to spend around $200.

An extra 2GB of RAM couldn't hurt either, as 2GB is probably cutting it close atm.
Heh. It is over clocked and I think the cores combined are close to 3ghz? I don't really remember what I did now.

I definitely want a new video card and RAM sounds like a good idea. I'm planning on playing Crysis, heavily modded Oblivion and Fallout 3 and Dragon Age. I've got time, though.

My immediate concern is HD space. Should I add another HD to the system or take the risk and buy an external one? Any significant pros to doing the former (besides the fact that they don't seem to die as easily)? Thanks.

Decado said:
My immediate concern is HD space. Should I add another HD to the system or take the risk and buy an external one? Any significant pros to doing the former (besides the fact that they don't seem to die as easily)? Thanks.
No reason not to get an internal if you have the space for it, IMO. They're cheaper, come with longer warranties, and will perform better than a USB or Firewire drive. You'll be able to reuse it with no problems when you buy a new computer, or if you decide you'd rather use it as an external you can buy a cheap enclosure.

TheExodu5

Banned
Decado said:
Heh. It is over clocked and I think the cores combined are close to 3ghz? I don't really remember what I did now.

Cores don't "combine" for speed. The GHz speed is the frequency at which the cores operate.

If it's running at 1.86GHz, then it's not overclocked. You say you do have it overclocked though...a right click -> properties on My Computer should tell you what speed it's running at.

Something within my PC is dying. Has been something wrong with it forever, crashes frequently when games or flash content happen. Pretty much guaranteed to crash within 20 minutes of playing any game, except for Far Cry 2 for some reason. The Sims 3 only crashed in build and buy mode 90% of the times. Odd.

But recently the thing has started to crash and then not work for long periods of time. No image is sent to the screen, a fan whirs up to high speed, think it's the rear case fan. So far it eventually boots up again, but who knows how long that's gonna last.

I don't know. It's either the CPU, motherboard or GPU, or everything. Starting with the first two, see if that helps. Gonna try to save up for a Phenom II X4 940 and a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P. Unless anyone's got a better idea?

Zaptruder

Banned
Ikopi said:

1920,1200 is better for displaying documents...

word designed to have two page widths in full view on 1200 tall monitor.

Otherwise go for 1080, better compatibility with more things.

Thanks as always Brainstew, I will take a look a those. Do you think it would be better for them to wait till Win 7 releases this fall? So they get the OS for free.

DMczaf

Does anyone know how nzone.com's digital downloads work?

I want to get the GTX 260 with the free Batman AA download, but it says you download it through nzone.com.

I heard rumblings about a fanless 4770 months ago, but I see none, in fact, I see no passive high end video cards period. Is this something I'm going to need to do aftermarket?

Decado said:

I definitely want a new video card and RAM sounds like a good idea. I'm planning on playing Crysis, heavily modded Oblivion and Fallout 3 and Dragon Age. I've got time, though.

Your CPU is fine.

Internal, always internal. eSATA is the only decent solution for external drives, or maybe a NAS over gigabit ethernet but that's be best left for media usage. Just grab a Samsung F1 1TB, super fast and well under $100.

I'd go with a GTX 260 GPU wise, they're a great deal now whilst shipping with a free copy of Batman: AA.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143140

MWS Natural said:
Thanks as always Brainstew, I will take a look a those. Do you think it would be better for them to wait till Win 7 releases this fall? So they get the OS for free.

Most PCs are shipping with a free W7 upgrade now, just be sure to check that the rig you buy does and you're set.

DMczaf said:
Does anyone know how nzone.com's digital downloads work?

I want to get the GTX 260 with the free Batman AA download, but it says you download it through nzone.com.

My free complimentary copy of Mirror's Edge from Nvidia was a voucher that could be redeemed on EA's store, worked fine. Dunno how the Batman downloads work but can't see you having a problem.

MoFuzz

Decado said:

If you are using the first generation Conroe-based Core 2 Duo E6300, I believe that is factory clocked at 1.8 GHz. So you could probably hit 2.5 comfortably, and maybe even somewhere around 2.8 after heavy oc'ing. I don't know how realistic your chances are that you'd hit 3 GHz with that chip, even with uber cooling.

The new Pentium Dual Core E6300 comes stock at 2.8 GHz. These are based on the much more efficient Wolfdale architechture, and you should easily hit well 3.33 to 3.5 GHz on an overclock.

I don't know why they gave two completely different products the same model name. It just serves to confuse things, which looks to have happened here.

lachesis

Well not exactly getting a new PC, but I'm contemplating to get that Windows 7 Home Premium Family pack, which is supposedly at $149 for 3 license upgrades for my 3 XP computers at home... It's just too good to pass by.... but I have a rather dumb question. If someone could help me out on this end, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I understand I have to format and do a clean install. (I actually prefer that way.) As far as I understand, the HDD must have working XP license. (Which I do) But my questions is when I decide to do a re-format the drive down the road.

Assuming that I've not changed my HDD nor anything and when I feel like the computer is sluggish and is in need of fresh re-install of windows 7... would I have to format and install XP first, in order to install Windows 7 again.. or will Windows 7 recognize itself before format/re-installing itself?

Well, it'd be a waste of time to install the old xp, just to re-install the windows 7.

lachesis said:
Well not exactly getting a new PC, but I'm contemplating to get that Windows 7 Home Premium Family pack, which is supposedly at $149 for 3 license upgrades for my 3 XP computers at home... It's just too good to pass by.... but I have a rather dumb question. If someone could help me out on this end, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I understand I have to format and do a clean install. (I actually prefer that way.) As far as I understand, the HDD must have working XP license. (Which I do) But my questions is when I decide to do a re-format the drive down the road.

Assuming that I've not changed my HDD nor anything and when I feel like the computer is sluggish and is in need of fresh re-install of windows 7... would I have to format and install XP first, in order to install Windows 7 again.. or will Windows 7 recognize itself before format/re-installing itself?

Well, it'd be a waste of time to install the old xp, just to re-install the windows 7.
With Vista, the upgrade versions just required a recognizable Windows installation of pretty much any kind (including Vista) on the HDD.

As far as I know, Windows 7 will work the same way, so what you're wanting to do should work. I don't think Microsoft has officially confirmed it one way or another, but at this point I would be surprised if they changed it.

mavs

lachesis said:

You must do a clean install of 7, with no prior XP installation. I believe it just asks for your XP key, and not the XP disc.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
i'd say it is. for PC games at least.

I dunno, the pixel pitch of a 23" 1080p monitor is already pretty damn high and supremely crisp, dunno if you'd notice the 20% increase all that much but you'd sure as hell notice the 20% drop in framerate. Plus, 16:9 is just nicer for games anyway.

lachesis said:

That's the theory, in practice I'd expect workarounds like there's been with every previous version of Windows and there even has been between W7 builds. There's no guarantee of course, but its not something that would make me pass on a deal like that personally, XP is pretty damn painful to use these days imo.

Oh, and be sure to install the x64 version if you can, don't hold the PC platform back!

brain_stew said:
I dunno, the pixel pitch of a 23" 1080p monitor is already pretty damn high and supremely crisp, dunno if you'd notice the 20% increase all that much but you'd sure as hell notice the 20% drop in framerate. Plus, 16:9 is just nicer for games anyway.

That's the theory, in practice I'd expect workarounds like there's been with every previous version of Windows and there even has been between W7 builds. There's no guarantee of course, but its not something that would make me pass on a deal like that personally, XP is pretty damn painful to use these days imo.

Oh, and be sure to install the x64 version if you can, don't hold the PC platform back!

*shrug* maybe i'm just used to it anyways. so what's the word on WIN7 so far as far as game performance?

Firestorm

I've been on Vista and now 7 since 2007. I can't imagine going back to XP mostly due to Search.

Also, fuck Future Shop. Made me wait a month for some stupid ass sale on my monitor where they jacked up the price $50 instead of lowering it. Then said they could give me 10% off... the new price. Still $20 more than the old price. God I hate this company so much.

Minsc

Gold Member
Just get a 1920x1200 display with 1:1 pixel mapping. Best of both worlds. You can work @ 1920x1200, and game @ 1920x1080 (or the full 1920x1200 if it's a Source engine or console port), with no loss of quality due to non-native resolutions.

Minsc said:
Just get a 1920x1200 display with 1:1 pixel mapping. Best of both worlds. You can work @ 1920x1200, and game @ 1920x1080 (or the full 1920x1200 if it's a Source engine or console port), with no loss of quality due to non-native resolutions.

Is it even necessary for him to look for that? Nvidia's drivers should will scale the picture according to user preference. I would presume ATI does the same.

x3sphere

Otheradam said:
Anyone know what the deal with Core i5s? Are they better or worse than Core i7? I was going to use a Core i7 920 when I build a new system around October but if one of the Core i5s are better at a comparable price, I might switch.

Just throwing this out there, you can get an i7 setup for a good price now seeing as Bing is offering double cashback at all stores. I bought most my parts at eWiz with 20 % CB and the rest at Newegg with 10% CB. I got $176 in cashback total. This lasts until the end of August.

Going with i5 you'd probably save around the same amount of money, maybe less since mobo prices won't be cheap when it first hits the market.

Fredescu

TouchMyBox said:
Is it even necessary for him to look for that? Nvidia's drivers should will scale the picture according to user preference. I would presume ATI does the same.
Both drivers do, but if you wanted to plug another device into it you might prefer to have 1:1 mapping to avoid a stretched picture. I got an LG L246WHX which is a 1920x1200 24" with 1:1 stuff and it does the job nicely.

sol_bad

Question.

I have a Geforce 8800GTX with 768MB RAM.
My friend is offering to give me a 9800GTX with 512MB RAM.

Which GFX card should I use?

x3sphere

sol_bad said:
Question.

I have a Geforce 8800GTX with 768MB RAM.
My friend is offering to give me a 9800GTX with 512MB RAM.

Which GFX card should I use?

Pretty sure the 9800GTX is just a refreshed 8800GTX with slight modifications. I'd stick with the card you have. The difference will be next to nil, maybe worse if you play at high resolutions since the 9800 has less VRAM.

8800 has more VRAM, GTX 8800 can still bring it....

so for my next build what case should i go with?

Thermaltake ArmorPlus(Armor+)

thermaltake-armor-plus.gif

OR

ANTEC 1200?

main.jpg

UT66

Banned
JdFoX187 said:

1) leave speed step ON. ( saves power)

2) turn EIST off.

this way...

Gaming? > power options > max battery

normal use? > power options > minimal power

goku3000

i need some help
my budget is 1000 dollars, i need a gaming pc that could last 2-3 year for gaming , I also need it for video editing etc. i'm looking for a quad core with a decent video cards that can play crysis on high.
thanks in advance

Top Bottom