• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Binabik15

This reminds me, I think I´ll buy the Coolermaster Elite 335 case, there´s a 120 mm fan in there. Should I put in more fans for my i5 750 plus Radeon 5850 combo?

If yes, what is a good brand?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Salaadin said:
Anything nifty I can add to the extra two 5.25 bays I have left? I dont see the need for a BR drive since I have a PS3. I was looking at some of the Aero cool stuff but have no idea if theyre any good.

Eh prolly just save the watts ;)

grap3fruitman said:
Hey guys, I don't know jack about laptops but my cousin's looking into getting a new one. Anything you would recommend that could easily be bought at like a Best Buy or something in the $600-800 range? We could go higher but I'm under the impression that's a good amount to get a decent laptop these days. The one she has currently she paid like $1500 for almost four years ago I think and she's really happy with it even though I thought it was a little on the pricey side. I'm not sure what model her current is other than some Toshiba Satellite. So, yeah, any suggestions?
Anyone know anything about laptops that could give me some insight?

demolitio

Stupid question of the day:

Will a new Phenom II CPU like the 940 work on my MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX motherboard? It's got the Phenom x4 9850 in there right now.

Binabik15 said:
This reminds me, I think I´ll buy the Coolermaster Elite 335 case, there´s a 120 mm fan in there. Should I put in more fans for my i5 750 plus Radeon 5850 combo?

If yes, what is a good brand?

Fit a 120mm exhaust and intake. If you want the best, go with Noctua's if you want silence and performance without breaking the bank, go with Yate Loons.

The case will probably have one 120mm fan installed already but it won't be the best, I'd recommend replacing it.

Salaadin

SuperEnemyCrab said:

I was looking at some of those but Im not sure if my case fans will work since they use molex connectors and have their own controls hard wired right onto them. I really have no idea, though.

I was looking at this one:
http://www.xoxide.com/aerocool-infinite-panel.html
No fan controllers or readouts or anything but built in memory card readers, more USB ports, and a spot for a 2.5 in laptop drive. I dont really know how much Id use that other stuff. The main draw is the memory card reader but I can get just a reader without the extra fluff for half the price.

What about a case speaker? My case has no speakers built into it but my mobo has the connections for one. Ive read that hearing those beeps on startup can be helpful if you run into problems so Id like to have one. Im assuming these are internal but that doesnt matter.

I cant find any to buy on newegg.

EDIT: Aha! I guess something like this is all I would need? http://www.pcpartscollection.com/mosp.html

Binabik15

brain_stew said:
Fit a 120mm exhaust and intake. If you want the best, go with Noctua's if you want silence and performance without breaking the bank, go with Yate Loons.

The case will probably have one 120mm fan installed already but it won't be the best, I'd recommend replacing it.

Meh, the store only lists Noctuas of those two (it seems the others are sold at Chieftecs in Germany, but still none). I assume 18 euro for one won´t kill me (but it hurts, so much for "budget" :lol).

The intake and exhaust would be the same thing, just installed in opposite directions, right?

PS: My dad really needs to order the parts soon, the 5850 is never in stock but gets more expensive every day :lol but hey, at least I get 19% off everything.

brain_stew said:
Slow, CPU overhead, extra power outlet needed, more physical space needed and pricey:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317

oh ok, that all makes sense. thanks for the feedback guys.

would i have a hard time fitting in any recent video cards into my HP case. i kind of want to wait for the new ATI cards to either buy one, or get one of the older ones that im sure will drop in price. Im sure there are power supply worries though.

demolitio

DeadTrees said:

Thanks. Also, I have 2 4850s in CF right now. But when I'm playing OFP2 the cards run at over 101 degrees C and my fans start going crazy. This is one of the few games that does that and it scares me since my computer shut off once because of it. Would it help if I removed one of the 4850s giving it a little more airflow? I have a Xion Onyx 3 case.

I'm software literate but hardware illiterate, so any suggestions on what I can do? Cheap suggestions help since medical bills have killed me. My only hope is Christmas for expensive solutions. :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
demolitio said:
Thanks. Also, I have 2 4850s in CF right now. But when I'm playing OFP2 the card run at over 101 degrees C

Stop. Now. Right now stop. You will melt into a puddle of flesh and die. :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
grap3fruitman said:
Anyone know anything about laptops that could give me some insight?
I am your guy.

For what purpose does she need the notebook? Weight/size requirements, etc.

Violater

Hawkian said:
That's me :p

It's an X58 Sli-Ready board... it's Acer-branded and unfortunately I'm not sure how to find out more specifically than that. You know how OEMs are...

I can get one of these now for 999 and I really want to make sure I'm making the right choice here.
Have you done any overclocking?
How stable is it

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Violater said:
I can get one of these now for 999 and I really want to make sure I'm making the right choice here.

Wait is the deal back? I need to alert some people if so!

If you are looking for an opinion from someone who just bought one... GET NOW. It absolutely screams on a fresh Windows 7 install (comes loaded with a bunch of Acer crap, but a fresh install is always a good idea). I haven't even TOUCHED the OCing potential of the i7 yet.

In terms of stability, even with two more cores it beats my previous PC in temps by almost 10 degrees C on all sensors. I have only had one crash on 7, but it was a known incompatible software issue (DO NOT USE MAGICDISC DO NOT USE MAGICDISC) and have had solid uptime for 72 hours (writing this message logged into it from work).

Minsc

Gold Member
K.Jack said:
I am your guy.

For what purpose does she need the notebook? Weight/size requirements, etc.

What's your take on the new i7 chips showing up in laptops all over now? I saw a few benchmarks of the typical software they run and they obliterated your average laptop CPUs, are they worth the premium? It seems so, things are much more responsive with 4 cores, than with 2, and they run more efficiently too right?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Violater said:
I just dont trust this Mobo

DriverRobot tells me it is the Intel ICH10R. Do with this info what you will.

That, I suppose, is the chipset mainboard, not the whole motherboard itself. Sorry I can't be more help!

demolitio

My next question: If I take one of my 4850s out, it leaves a gap in the back of my case where the slot was since this was built by someone else and I didn't get the covers back. Do they sell something to cover that slot up or would it be all right to have a hole there? (If any of that makes sense since I'm pretty drugged up right now) :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
demolitio said:
My next question: If I take one of my 4850s out, it leaves a gap in the back of my case where the slot was since this was built by someone else and I didn't get the covers back. Do they sell something to cover that slot up or would it be all right to have a hole there? (If any of that makes sense since I'm pretty drugged up right now) :lol
The gap is ok, what you are looking for is a PCI slot cover.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
oh ok, that all makes sense. thanks for the feedback guys.

would i have a hard time fitting in any recent video cards into my HP case. i kind of want to wait for the new ATI cards to either buy one, or get one of the older ones that im sure will drop in price. Im sure there are power supply worries though.

The PSU and case is going to severely restrict your choice of GPU, yes. Something like the new 5770 might be a good fit, though, at $160.

Hawkian said:
Wait is the deal back? I need to alert some people if so!

If you are looking for an opinion from someone who just bought one... GET NOW. It absolutely screams on a fresh Windows 7 install (comes loaded with a bunch of Acer crap, but a fresh install is always a good idea). I haven't even TOUCHED the OCing potential of the i7 yet.

In terms of stability, even with two more cores it beats my previous PC in temps by almost 10 degrees C on all sensors. I have only had one crash on 7, but it was a known incompatible software issue (DO NOT USE MAGICDISC DO NOT USE MAGICDISC) and have had solid uptime for 72 hours (writing this message logged into it from work).

And I doubt you ever will either, its very unlikely that the mobo of a prebuilt PC will give you any OCing options, unless it uses an off the shelf motherboard, which its ACER branding suggests it does not. Oh, and OCing in Windows is never an option. Never.

Minsc

Gold Member
brain_stew said:
The PSU and case is going to severely restrict your choice of GPU, yes. Something like the new 5770 might be a good fit, though, at $160.

And I doubt you ever will either, its very unlikely that the mobo of a prebuilt PC will give you any OCing options, unless it uses an off the shelf motherboard, which its ACER branding suggests it does not. Oh, and OCing in Windows is never an option. Never.

Have you seen the new ASUS RoG boards? They let you dynamically overclock in windows on the fly, no going in to the bios and rebooting, you can change the voltages right in windows.

I'm putting this rig together, and I wanted to test the HSF to see if I'd installed the fan pointing in the right direction. So I plugged the PSU and power switch to the mobo, plugged the HSF into the 4-pin CPU_FAN connector on the mobo, and flip the switch. The LEDs on the mobo light up but the CPU fan does not rotate. I switched it off, plugged the fan into the 3-pin SYS_FAN1 port, and it worked. Should I just use SYS_FAN1?

HSF: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003
Case: Antec Sonata
PSU: Antec Truepower II 380
GPU: Radeon HD 4890

Other parts:
zt84za.png

Also, I'm only connecting the PSU to the mobo using the 24 pin ATX connector. Do I need to plug in anything else too?

And is that 380 gonna be enough to support all that?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Also, I'm only connecting the PSU to the mobo using the 24 pin ATX connector. Do I need to plug in anything else too?

On the left side of the board next to the 'ultra durable' there is a 8 pin CPU power connector.
You need to connect the 8pin or the 2 4 pin cables from the PSU there also. That should take care of your CPU fan problem also. Unless the fan is dead (doubtful).

And is that 380 gonna be enough to support all that?
What kind of video card are you using sometimes those can be quite power hungry?

Edit nvm. I see it in your post. Try this out to calculate usage :
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/

2agj0gh.jpg

It looks like I've got the heatsink fan blowing backwards, so I'll have to reinstall that. Before I do, I'd like to confirm that I'm facing it the right way. In that photo, I've got a 120mm exit fan on the left. The heatsink is directly behind that, and then there's a 2nd 120mm fan on the heatsink, also blowing left. This should create nice airflow across the cpu and out the case, yes?

Parallax Scroll said:
It looks like I've got the heatsink fan blowing backwards, so I'll have to reinstall that. Before I do, I'd like to confirm that I'm facing it the right way. In that photo, I've got a 120mm exit fan on the left. The heatsink is directly behind that, and then there's a 2nd 120mm fan on the heatsink, also blowing left. This should create nice airflow across the cpu and out the case, yes?

yeah thats the right direction

evil solrac v3.0 said:
would a 5770 or 5750 fit in my girlfriends dell XPS 410? she has a 8800 GTX in there right now and i believe a 400 watt PSU.

They both should be smaller and consume less power than an 8800GTX, so yes.

Swag

So I'm having a problem with my monitor, I tried plugging my computer into my HDTV last night to watch some Anime and play some Fallout 3 ( 1080 YEAH ), this morning when I went to plug my computer back into my monitor it seemed like the pixels were shaking ( I don't know how else to describe it ). It was like they were moving back and forth in areas that had high color intensity.

I tried plugging my old computer into my monitor and had the same problem, so it's definitely the monitor. So I fiddled around with the settings on the monitor a bit to try and see if I could fix it (Lower color intensity etc) it didn't seem to be having an effect so I reset the settings back to factory, this made the colors become really Intense, I couldn't tell different shades from each other. So I decided to use the auto color adjuster, now I have a combination of both the shaking pixels and bland looking colors.

Anyone know what I can do to fix? Or is it just time for me to get another monitor, it's a Westinghouse L1916HW model btw, and my display settings are

Brightness 60 Clock 50
Contrast 50 Phase 3
Sharpness 3 (5 is maximum) Color Temp 6500k

I have DDC/CI On and DCR off ( I have no idea what each of these are so I didn't mess with them much, although switching them on / off seemed to have no effect on the picture quality )

beje

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
So I'm having a problem with my monitor, I tried plugging my computer into my HDTV last night to watch some Anime and play some Fallout 3 ( 1080 YEAH ), this morning when I went to plug my computer back into my monitor it seemed like the pixels were shaking ( I don't know how else to describe it ). It was like they were moving back and forth in areas that had high color intensity.

I tried plugging my old computer into my monitor and had the same problem, so it's definitely the monitor. So I fiddled around with the settings on the monitor a bit to try and see if I could fix it (Lower color intensity etc) it didn't seem to be having an effect so I reset the settings back to factory, this made the colors become really Intense, I couldn't tell different shades from each other. So I decided to use the auto color adjuster, now I have a combination of both the shaking pixels and bland looking colors.

Anyone know what I can do to fix? Or is it just time for me to get another monitor, it's a Westinghouse L1916HW model btw, and my display settings are

Brightness 60 Clock 50
Contrast 50 Phase 3
Sharpness 3 (5 is maximum) Color Temp 6500k

I have DDC/CI On and DCR off ( I have no idea what each of these are so I didn't mess with them much, although switching them on / off seemed to have no effect on the picture quality )

Check the refresh rate of your monitor in Windows.

Swag

beje said:
Check the refresh rate of your monitor in Windows.

I had it set to 60, reduced it to 59 in my ATI Control Center and it didn't solve any of the issues

Edit : To help put it in perspective prior to having issues, my IM window would blink bright orange to notify me, but now it blinks a mix between dull orange and bright pink combined :[

DyTonic

Banned
@brain, a friend of mine has a gtx 260 core 216 and only has $350 left to build. What can he buy within that range to build his set up. HD,Case,Cd Drive, etc.

Animal

Banned
So it's finally my turn to start looking into getting a new gaming pc.

I will go for either a Phenom II x4 965 or an i7 920. The price of my build increases by ~150$ at most if I go for the i7 from what I can see.

My question is, given that I value bus speed immensely and that I would want the highest rated bus speed on the motherboard between CPU and RAM without overclocking, what would be the best full featured motherboards available to me?

I will be buying a single 5870 gpu but I want to have Crossfire for the future. I will also have a high end sound card and networking card. So all these cards must fit on the board without any drawback.

I don't really have a budget but I want to stay within reason.

Minsc

Gold Member
Edit: wrong thread, but @ the above, the cpu charts here (towards the very bottom) always get to me whenever I think I might go the Phenom route. The i7's get an incredibly better score than the Phenoms.

Animal said:
So it's finally my turn to start looking into getting a new gaming pc.

I will go for either a Phenom II x4 965 or an i7 920. The price of my build increases by ~150$ at most if I go for the i7 from what I can see.

My question is, given that I value bus speed immensely and that I would want the highest rated bus speed on the motherboard between CPU and RAM without overclocking, what would be the best full featured motherboards available to me?

I will be buying a single 5870 gpu but I want to have Crossfire for the future. I will also have a high end sound card and networking card. So all these cards must fit on the board without any drawback.

I don't really have a budget but I want to stay within reason.

Joke post?

Animal

Banned
Minsc said:
Edit: wrong thread, but @ the above, the cpu charts here (towards the very bottom) always get to me whenever I think I might go the Phenom route. The i7's get an incredibly better score than the Phenoms.

yeah the phenoms really get outclassed in some of these benchmarking applications but the difference in fps between them in most popular games today seem to be insignificant. The only exception I've seen is Crysis where the i7 really outclassed the phenoms.

But I haven't really decided yet between them which is why I am asking for options on what motherboards would best suit my needs in either case.

seantos

Neo Member
I just ordered a new pc last week from NCIX and I am eagerly awaiting the delivery (which might be another week or two depending on how long it takes to get the radeon 5850 in stock again).

Here is a list of the parts:
Antec CP-850
Intel Core i7 860
Crucial Ballistix 4GB 2X2GB PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 CL6-6-6-20
Intel X25-M 80GB 2.5IN SSD
Gigabyte P55-UD4P ATX LGA1156 P55 Motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5850
LG 22X SATA DVD Writer
Noctua NH-U12P
Noctua NF-P12-1300 120MM Fan (x5)
Antec P183
PC Assembly and Testing

Total (before tax in CDN) ~$1663

I could have cut some costs on the fans and heatsink, but my last computer sounded like a jet engine and I was eager to avoid that this time while still providing adequate cooling. I was actually really impressed with NCIX and their price matching policy. When I first ordered the best price i could find for the intel ssd was $303 on newegg, but the very next day I found it for $255 thanks to the redflagdeals forums from some website based out of Ontario. I sent in a ticket requesting to price match it and they did so with out question.

Also, as a note for anyone else ordering an SSD for their system, I completely forgot that they are 2.5" drives and you will need a mounting bracket if you want to mount them in your 3.5" or 5.25" drive bays in your case.

I also have an obutto gaming chair on the way, so once I get everything setup I will post some pictures and impressions of everything.

Does any of the helpful PC GAF regulars want free DD copies of Mirror's Edge, Dead Space and Mercenaries 2? One guy has to get the whole bunch (they're tied to the same account, but haven't been downloaded onto any computer yet, I already own them and got them for free, so any takers? Since UK GAFer's can currently buy them for like £3.75 each, I'd prefer it to be someone from outside the UK, as if you're not willing to pay £3.75 for something as awesome as Mirror's Edge you don't deserve my generosity!! :lol :lol

Only real condition being you've helped out posters in this thread in the past.

Top Bottom