• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
equap said:
Replace the cooler with the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro. I feel like you should be able to get DDR3 1600 memory at that price, which might help your overclocks. I would drop the extra bill for the 5850 if you want enthusiast level performance on this rig, but I can't fault your choice of GPU if you're on a budget.

derder

MoFuzz said:
The +12V rail looks a little weak on that Delta PSU, it's only 24 amps total between the two. I'm guessing it's the pack-in that came with the Sony Vaio. You'll want at least a combined 30 amps on the +12V rail to run that video card.

A 400-500 watt supply should be fine as long as it's a quality made unit. Reputable brands like Corsair, Seasonic, OCZ, BFG are more important than the total watts advertised.

How about this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371023

It's about $10 more, but that's a small price to pay for a reliable, efficient power supply that won't blow up on you and fry your components along with it.

Then again, it sounds like this PC is at the end of its life cycle in terms of what you can upgrade with it. If you wanted to spend about $25-$30 more you could get something that could power your next build should that be something you'd want to do in the near future.

I thought about buying a power supply for the future, but I'd like to keep this PC as a working build, since I'll pretty much have to start from scratch anyway when I do a full new build.

Are there enough outputs for my DVD drives, floppy and memory card readers already built in, or do I just buy a splitter cable for the more minor things? And the 430W will cover the card and all three HDs, with everything else going on?

nubbe

400W is good enough if you don't plan to run sli, crossfire or high end GPUs. The effect draw of a decent computer should be around 300~350W.

If you want to run sli or crossfire with the 295 or 5870 you should get a 600W PSU.

But it is important to get a quality PSU because the cheap ones have shitty capacitors that wont be able to handle even 60% of the load they advertise.

I am going to be buying a new computer within the next two months and this thread is helpful but I still have a few questions.

I am not sure whether I should buy from a place like Dell, or if going to a site like cyberpowerpc would be better. I have bought from Dell in the past, so I know that they have decent customer service and that they are in general, good sellers (They have shipped me a new laptop when my other one broke down, sent me a windows install disk, etc). At the same time, there is a computer at cyberpower that has similar specs for a cheaper price. Has anyone bought from cybebrpower before? They seem to be a pretty legitimate seller but as you may have guessed I'm not a computer wiz and I don't want to be left in the dark if I need serious customer support or a return on a faulty product or anything like that.

I am looking at this computer from Dell, and this computer from cyberpower. I will need to make some changes to both of them, but for the most part, they seem to be very similar (And would be moreso after I've customized the specs a bit).

Is it worth spending the extra money for the same amount of ram, at a faster MHz?

Do see-through towers effect heating or anything like that? I don't really care what the tower looks like, I just want it to be efficient.

Manp

Romance Pie said:
Nice and clean, where did you get the noise blockers from? I couldn't find them here so I had to get noctuas.

here in Italy ;)

Noctuas are great fans but they sure look terrible :D

:)

Revised my build:

Swapped for the lower i7, switched the ram from 1333 to 1600, lowered the PSU to 650 and added an SSD for the boot drive.

Saved: £218.3 - might look at switching my 22'' Dell Monitor for a 30'' if my desk can support it.

Is that good CPU cooler btw? I will probably OC the i7 to the specs of the one above it, I read you can do that with the stock cooler, but I thought I'd play it save for the sake of £50

Any suggestions for further refinement?

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz Socket 1366 D0 stepping 8MB Cache OEM Processor - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161171/show_product_overview - £207.68inc vat

Sapphire Technology ATI Radeon 5870 HD 1GB DDR5 PCI-Express DVI (Includes Colin McRae: Dirt 2 Voucher) - http://www.dabs.com/products/sapphir...efs=4294950394 - £299.00 inc vat

Asus Triton 88 Socket i7, 775, 754, 939, AM2+ Processor Cooler - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158469 - £51.15inc vat

x2 (Already have 1x 1TB drive) - Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173804 - Now £56.96 inc vat

ASUS Rampage II Extreme iX58 Socket 1366 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - £257.09inc vat - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160932

Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135514 - £71.03inc vat

Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory CL9(9-9-9-24) for i7 motherboards - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152640 - £114.99inc vat

Kingston V-Series 64GB Solid State Drive (SSD) - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173953/show_product_overview - £99.99inc vat

£1157.89 - not including delivery and not price-matched with other sites

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Finally got around to it and I ordered a new rig yesterday.

XFX Radeon HD 5850 $299
ASUS P7P55D $149
Corsair TX650W $103
i5 750 $216.99
G.Skill DDR3-1600 4x2GB 1.6v $225
Antec Nine Hundred case $123
Win 7 Home Prem. OEM 64bit $115
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM $72
Samsung SH-S223L/BEBS 22X SATA Black DVD Writer Lightscribe OEM $39
LG W2243T-PF 21.5IN $179

~$1500 subtotal

The total with shipping and taxes came to $1685 CDN @ NCIX. I got a big $75 price match! :lol

Firestorm said:
Would appreciate more comments on this and quick! I could also move to the OCZ 600W StealthXStream as it's on sale until the end of the day for $65 - $20 MIR.

Personally I would go with the Antec, I prefer modular PS, and i've owned quite a few antec's and never had one fail. Either one is good though, they're not so different that I would think you would majorly regret getting one over the other.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Firestorm said:
Would appreciate more comments on this and quick! I could also move to the OCZ 600W StealthXStream as it's on sale until the end of the day for $65 - $20 MIR.

I like OCZ I'm even running a OCZ gamextrme 700w.
However, looking back I wished I would have gotten a modular for better cable management.

OCZ is a good brand though imo.

Karish

I never thought I would be posting here but someone on craigslist on my campus is selling their computer for crazy cheap.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66 GHz
4 GB 800 MHz RAM
640 GB hard drive
ATI 4830 512 MB graphics card
Wireless card
Zerotherm FZ120 CPU cooler

and a 20" BenQ monitor for $500.

Is this a good deal? What kind of performance can I expect out of this computer? Gaming wise? Could I use Wii emulation?

Darkflight said:
Revised my build:

Swapped for the lower i7, switched the ram from 1333 to 1600, lowered the PSU to 650 and added an SSD for the boot drive.

Saved: £218.3 - might look at switching my 22'' Dell Monitor for a 30'' if my desk can support it.

Is that good CPU cooler btw? I will probably OC the i7 to the specs of the one above it, I read you can do that with the stock cooler, but I thought I'd play it save for the sake of £50

Any suggestions for further refinement?

Haven't seen anything amazing from asus with cpu coolers, (make great MB's though) but I would recommend looking for something like this http://www.xigmatek.com/product/air-hdts1284_jp.php
and get the LGA 1366 clip pack for it. light weight, great performance and reasonably priced.

Blakero said:
I never thought I would be posting here but someone on craigslist on my campus is selling their computer for crazy cheap.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66 GHz
4 GB 800 MHz RAM
640 GB hard drive
ATI 4830 512 MB graphics card
Wireless card
Zerotherm FZ120 CPU cooler

and a 20" BenQ monitor for $500.

Is this a good deal? What kind of performance can I expect out of this computer? Gaming wise? Could I use Wii emulation?

For a second hand machine, that's quite overpriced imo.

Edit: The monitor puts a spanner in the works but 20" is pretty crappy these days, is it even widescreen?

MoFuzz

Kulock said:
Are there enough outputs for my DVD drives, floppy and memory card readers already built in, or do I just buy a splitter cable for the more minor things? And the 430W will cover the card and all three HDs, with everything else going on?

The Antec PSU should have no issues powering your entire build as long you are sticking to the one video card. Most people do not come close to using up all their cables/plugs, even with the 3 HDD's you should be fine.

I am using a 3 year old Antec PSU - 450W to power my GF's build. It is using a GeForce 9600 GSO which actually draws more power than a Radeon 4670. I also oc'ed the crap out of the video card and CPU with no issues.

If you want some more peace of mind, try this power supply calculator:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

TofuEater

JohnsonUT said:
How much of an effect do wireless mouse/keyboard have on a game (if any)?

Very little to none, until you run out of battery that is.

I had a bluetooth logitech kb combo before, the inputs would lag like a bitch in one game (vampire the masquerade) worked fine everywhere else.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
brain_stew said:
For a second hand machine, that's quite overpriced imo.

Edit: The monitor puts a spanner in the works but 20" is pretty crappy these days, is it even widescreen?
Somewhat, but it's typically impossible to find decent gaming PCs for under $1000 at local retailers so he might just get what he's asking for.

Salaadin

Ok, so W7 is installed. I was impressed at how pretty much everything worked right off the bat, even the wireless adapter.

However, Im running into issues with both built in ethernet ports on the P55 UD4P. They wont work. I cant even find them listed in device manager. ANy suggestions here?

I found LAN drivers on Gigabytes website but the installed says it cant find the Realtek Network Controller. I have no idea where to go from here.

Salaadin said:
Ok, so W7 is installed. I was impressed at how pretty much everything worked right off the bat, even the wireless adapter.

However, Im running into issues with both built in ethernet ports on the P55 UD4P. They wont work. I cant even find them listed in device manager. ANy suggestions here?

I found LAN drivers on Gigabytes website but the installed says it cant find the Realtek Network Controller. I have no idea where to go from here.

There might be an option in the bios to turn the built in NIC off or on...

Salaadin

Under Integrated Peripherals in the BIOS, theres 2 items called "Onboard H/W Lan 1" and "Onboard H/W LAN 2". Im assuming these are the 2 LAN ports and they are both turned on.

WHere would they show under Device manager? Under Network adapters? Theres a whole slew of things in there (12 total) but they dont appear unless I tell it to show hidden devices. Otherwise, theres only one....the wireless adapter I installed.

Terrifyer

Banned
equap said:
damn it! i can't find the 5850 anywhere!!!!

and i need to build my new computer before i move into the new place :(

http://www.extreme-pc.ca/showproduct.asp?productid=373737

local store that I have ordered from in the past without issue. Looks like they have the 5850 in stock, but it's up to you if you want to go beyond newegg/ncix to get one.

EDIT: I don't mean to say they're a bad company or anything...my experience has been positive, just that it's much harder to find feedback about them online than it is for say newegg or ncix.

equap

Banned
Terrifyer said:
http://www.extreme-pc.ca/showproduct.asp?productid=373737

local store that I have ordered from in the past without issue. Looks like they have the 5850 in stock, but it's up to you if you want to go beyond newegg/ncix to get one.

EDIT: I don't mean to say they're a bad company or anything...my experience has been positive, just that it's much harder to find feedback about them online than it is for say newegg or ncix.
they ship to USA #1?

zbarron

Firestorm said:
I'm using the BP550 in this build and it hasn't given me any trouble in the years I've had it. Right now this is the build it is running flawlessly.

i7 920 overclocked to 3.9Ghz
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
GTX 260 216 core overclocked to 738/1476/1245
Creative sound card
3 fans
2 HDDs
1 IDE DVD burner.

I don't have a way to measure exactly how many watts it is using. Being Modular is great.

DietRob

Firestorm said:

Hey an OCZ 700w ModXtreme showed up on slickdeals today for 50 bucks free shipping after mail in rebate from zipzoomfly.

FYI

Salaadin

What are some good budget PC speakers? I dont need anything fancy...just something better than my built in monitor speakers. That sounds kinda muffled and I want something clearer without dropping a lot of money.

Ive always like Logitech products. Are their lower end speakers good enough?

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:
What are some good budget PC speakers? I dont need anything fancy...just something better than my built in monitor speakers. That sounds kinda muffled and I want something clearer without dropping a lot of money.

Ive always like Logitech products. Are their lower end speakers good enough?

I just picked up a pair of their Z4s off amazon for $70. Great purchase. They're reviewed very well, they're nice looking and not super heavy, 2.1 with a good amount of bass, and have a little wired remote control that you can adjust bass and volume with, as well as plug in headphones for late night gaming. I did have to extend one of the cables, as the sub is all the way to the right of my desk, and the left speaker didn't reach, but luckily I had the adapter and cable, so I didn't have to buy anything. The speaker's cable is about 6' or so, maybe a little more.

Can't really ask for anything else at that price.

flsh

Banned
I'm Going to buy Windows 7, probably 64 bit (or are games better off with 32? I'm clueless on this) and get more ram (4GByes at the moment, and 4 more to buy). I would like to get an SSD HDD simply for the OS, some games and my main applications. Which one should I get? I think 60-80 should be enough but there are quite a few models of each company. I heard the Intel ones are especially good but I've seen they have a ton of models for each size. If I can't get one at the store I can buy it from eBay or someplace else online, but are they reliable? (I'm assuming they are since no moving parts, but I would like to know for sure).

Help me move on from Windows XP :D

McHuj

flsh said:
I'm Going to buy Windows 7, probably 64 bit (or are games better off with 32? I'm clueless on this) and get more ram (4GByes at the moment, and 4 more to buy). I would like to get an SSD HDD simply for the OS, some games and my main applications. Which one should I get? I think 60-80 should be enough but there are quite a few models of each company. I heard the Intel ones are especially good but I've seen they have a ton of models for each size. If I can't get one at the store I can buy it from eBay or someplace else online, but are they reliable? (I'm assuming they are since no moving parts, but I would like to know for sure).

If you're going for more ram, you'll need the 64-bit OS.

Personnally, I'm waiting for black friday, I have a feeling there will be some good deals on SSD's.

Dennis

Banned
flsh said:

Get 64bit to use the extra ram. About games - only really old games should be a problem with W7 though it appears Saints Row 2 doesn't work properly with W7.

Minsc

Gold Member
flsh said:

Anandtech SSD Wrap up, it's 27 pages (plus another 100 or so from earlier articles), but a must read for anyone buying a SSD. It will help you narrow down and understand what you're getting.

Firestorm

zbarron said:
I'm using the BP550 in this build and it hasn't given me any trouble in the years I've had it. Right now this is the build it is running flawlessly.

i7 920 overclocked to 3.9Ghz
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
GTX 260 216 core overclocked to 738/1476/1245
Creative sound card
3 fans
2 HDDs
1 IDE DVD burner.

I don't have a way to measure exactly how many watts it is using. Being Modular is great.
Good to know. I was looking for some impressions from long time users which was hard to find on Newegg. Reliability was the most important thing to me as this is for someone who doesn't know much about computers and doesn't live anywhere close to me. Unfortunately, I had to cancel the order anyway but I'll keep it in mind.

Smokey

My co-worker is trying to build a new machine. In general, what are some good manufacturer's of power supplies? You obviously don't want to cheap out on this, but I don't have enough knowledge on PS to recommend any to him.

DietRob

Smokey said:
My co-worker is trying to build a new machine. In general, what are some good manufacturer's of power supplies? You obviously don't want to cheap out on this, but I don't have enough knowledge on PS to recommend any to him.

Seasonic, Corsair, OCZ, I linked a good deal to a 700w OCZ earlier in the thread today.

Top Bottom