• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Borman

Are there any decent HTPC style cases (General look, not necessarily size) that would fit the latest ATI card, with useable temps? Obviously, the case isn't going to be small, but I would still prefer not to use a standard tower setup if I decide to build one this winter. So basically, horizontal setup, clean look for a theater, not all LED'd up.

J.M.Reyes said:
everything seems ok except the PSU, havent heard anything about that PSU, you cant go wrong with Corsair

I considered a Corsair PSU, but you have to mount the PSU at the bottom of the case i picked out. The fan on the Corsair PSU is facing downwards, so i doubt that it will recieve enough air. I'm also a bit worried that it might suck in dust because the fan will end up being pretty close to the bottom of the case.

Borman

My friend's chieftec power supply crapped out in 3 or 4 months. It had good reviews at the time (was around 3 or 4 years ago now), but it soured me on the whole thing

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
1138 said:
I considered a Corsair PSU, but you have to mount the PSU at the bottom of the case i picked out. The fan on the Corsair PSU is facing downwards, so i doubt that it will recieve enough air. I'm also a bit worried that it might suck in dust because the fan will end up being pretty close to the bottom of the case.
It will receive more than enough air, and a good 650w should be enough for any single slot card that comes out.
Corsair PSU's are specc'd at 50C for 5 years so don't worry about it. Also cooler air is on the bottom of the case. If you don't care and want to turn it upside down, you can do that too.

Kosma

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
I've been using a OCZ Vertex at home since Windows 7 Beta, and an OCZ Vertex on my laptop since Windows 7 RC. They are both blazing fast, and easily comparable to the Intel X25 line from an everyday use perspective. Ping permitting, you'll be the first guy on your friends list to load up L4D and then the first guy into a server, but the basic experience is that loads are faster, installs are somewhat faster (depending if you're going from disc or whatnot) and general responsiveness across your system will be way up. When the windows main screen hits, you can load apps right away; there's no wait on AV, firewalls, startup programs or whatever.

I seriously recommend getting an SSD with just enough size for your OS and apps, and then a much bigger regular Hard Drive for all of your media needs (eg: WD Green series). Looking at my system right now, I'm using about half of the 120GB for Windows 7 + apps + Steam, so 60 is manageable, 80 is a bit more mangeable, and 120 is the sweet spot.

Thats sounds amazing, exactly what I want in my next PC.

sikkinixx

I need some help GAF. My PC is about to be 2 years old and I would kinda like to upgrade a bit and maybe use the old parts to make a HTPC.

Current Rig is

CPU: E8400 3.0ghz Core 2 Duo

Motherboard: ASUS P5K Premium/WiFi-AP Black Pearl Special Edition - ATX - iP35

RAM: 4GB of Mushkin (I think) DDR2-800 stuff. Can't find my receipt for it so I don't remember exactly what it is.

GPU: 8800GT eVGA 512mb Superclocked edition

PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 600W

Case: Antec 900

Is it worth upgrading a few parts? Or should I just wait a while and just buy a new PC?

sikkinixx said:
I need some help GAF. My PC is about to be 2 years old and I would kinda like to upgrade a bit and maybe use the old parts to make a HTPC.

Current Rig is

RAM: 4GB of Mushkin (I think) DDR2-800 stuff. Can't find my receipt for it so I don't remember exactly what it is.

Is it worth upgrading a few parts? Or should I just wait a while and just buy a new PC?

Maybe, if you're having trouble with games then upgrade your video card to a 5850 but other than that you're in the same boat I am and I'm not having any problems yet so I'm going to wait another year or so and start from scratch.

Edit: O, you're just using it as an htpc and that's it? I don't see any reason to upgrade then.

Borman said:
Are there any decent HTPC style cases (General look, not necessarily size) that would fit the latest ATI card, with useable temps? Obviously, the case isn't going to be small, but I would still prefer not to use a standard tower setup if I decide to build one this winter. So basically, horizontal setup, clean look for a theater, not all LED'd up.

My landbox lite can hold up to a 5850.

sikkinixx said:

Current Rig is

All you need is a GPU upgrade really, a 5850 would be a great buy.

Perfect time to to clock that E8400 so perhaps pick up a cheap $20 HSF while you're on. 4ghz is doable but aim for 3.6ghz instead. Should give a nice boost.

sikkinixx

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Maybe, if you're having trouble with games then upgrade your video card to a 5850 but other than that you're in the same boat I am and I'm not having any problems yet so I'm going to wait another year or so and start from scratch.

Edit: O, you're just using it as an htpc and that's it? I don't see any reason to upgrade then.

Nah, I wanna use the stuff in the rig I have now to make a HTPC when I get new parts.

brain_stew said:

Perfect time to to clock that E8400 so perhaps pick up a cheap $20 HSF while you're on. 4ghz is doable but aim for 3.6ghz instead. Should give a nice boost.

I was thinking that would probably be the answer. I'll just keep the 8800GT packed away for when I eventually do make a HTPC. Does the brand of the ATI card make a huge difference? I haven't bought ATI in a long while....

sikkinixx said:
Nah, I wanna use the stuff in the rig I have now to make a HTPC when I get new parts.

I was thinking that would probably be the answer. I'll just keep the 8800GT packed away for when I eventually do make a HTPC. Does the brand of the ATI card make a huge difference? I haven't bought ATI in a long while....

It makes about as much as a difference as with nvidia. Like Nvidia, it's recommended to go with a pretty well known brand (like with most component parts) like sapphire.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If I had to buy an ATi card I'd try to get XFX even with a little bit of a markup on it. Double warranty makes reselling easier and imo they have better support than Sapphire.

zero2000

Banned
I think I am going to be treating myself to a 5870 probably this holiday or early next year.

My PC is about a year and a half old and I would like to have a little boost in performance.

My PC was made right when the 4870 came out. I got one from the first batch.

My specs:

x48 Asus Rampage
HD4870 512mb GDDR5
4 gig 1066 Corsair Dominator Ram
E8400 @ 3.0Ghz
Corsair 620HX

I am assuming my power supply will be good enough?

And once I do get the 5870, I am going to give my 4870 to my brother in exchange for his 4850 and I might just give away the 4850 on Gaf since it will be around the holidays (and it is still a pretty good card). :D

sikkinixx said:

I was thinking that would probably be the answer. I'll just keep the 8800GT packed away for when I eventually do make a HTPC. Does the brand of the ATI card make a huge difference? I haven't bought ATI in a long while...

Pretty sure they're all just following the reference design atm so no. Just get the card with the best combo of price/warranty/bundle. Quite a few cards are shipping with free (Steam) copies of Dirt 2 so you might want to make sure you get that thrown in, it'll be a nice little graphical showcase.

zero2000 said:
I think I am going to be treating myself to a probably this holiday or early next year.

My PC is about a year and a half old and I would like to have a little boost in performance.

My PC was made right when the 4870 came out. I got one from the first batch.

My specs:

x48 Asus Rampage
HD4870 512mb GDDR5
4 gig 1066 Corsair Dominator Ram
E8400 @ 3.0Ghz
Corsair 620HX

I am assuming my power supply will be good enough?

And once I do get the 5870, I am going to give my 4870 to my brother in exchange for his 4850 and I might just give it away on Gaf since it will be around the holidays. :D

It'll be enough for a 5870X2.

zero2000 said:
Don't tempt me. :lol

Well if the card still uses AFR then I'd recommend against it TBH. If the current murmerings about them improving multi GPU solutions are true, then by all means, go splash that cash/

zero2000

Banned
brain_stew said:
Well if the card still uses AFR then I'd recommend against it TBH. If the current murmerings about them improving multi GPU solutions are true, then by all means, go splash that cash/

I wouldn't have that kind of cash to "splash" anyways.

Only reason why I am waiting quite a few months to get the 5870 is for it to hopefully drop to $299. It should by at least Jan/Feb, right?

Doytch

zero2000 said:
I wouldn't have that kind of cash to "splash" anyways.

Only reason why I am waiting quite a few months to get the 5870 is for it to hopefully drop to $299. It should by at least Jan/Feb, right?
I wouldn't expect a drop until Nvidia gets something out. And the way things are going right now...I don't think they'll be able to pressure AMD this cycle.

zero2000

Banned
Also the conversation 1138 brought up, about how he was concerned about putting the PSU at the bottom of the case (with that particular CoolerMaster case)...well, my case is the CoolerMaster RC-690.

Awesome case, but with my power supply, I just installed it upside down.

30938668rw0.jpg

This picture was taken minutes after assembly, before the wire management stage, :p.

PC is still going strong after 1 and a half years, and no components have ever gotten particularly hot, except for the 4870 but that is "normal" for that card. So I don't think it is really disrupting the air flow at all.

Not sure if installing it upside is particularly preferred, but I heard that it really doesn't hurt in most cases, so why not.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does anyone know if the P180/P183 (whatever model it is now that's available) will be able to take a 5850? I assume the answer is yes :lol

I've always wanted one of these cases, Started thinking about it again after trying to find a case for a new build. So pretty and quiet!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Works for me, although with a new motherboard you didn't really upgrade, you got a new PC. :p

Your OS will almost undoubtedly agree ;)

Phloxy

k gaf. Needs me some help, posted this in the ot, but didnt get much responses.

I have this computer http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-...tag=mncol;psum

I do plan on building my own pc but for now, this is what I have. The issue is, a couple months or so after I went ahead and bought a nvidia 9800gt 1 gig overclocked, while playing newer games which before were no problem, my monitor would just turn off and the sound would loop, everytime it happens I need to give it a hard reboot.

Lately it has been happening more and more. I opened my tower and cleaned and dusted it, still, no dice. My problem is I can't tell if it is being caused by overheating or a crappy power supply. Because even using programs such as my sony vegas and the like it also will cause a freeze.

My next step was to buy a nice 550 watt corsair, but, does anybody here think the psu is the problem?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Phloxy said:
k gaf. Needs me some help, posted this in the ot, but didnt get much responses.

I have this computer http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-...tag=mncol;psum

I do plan on building my own pc but for now, this is what I have. The issue is, a couple months or so after I went ahead and bought a nvidia 9800gt 1 gig overclocked, while playing newer games which before were no problem, my monitor would just turn off and the sound would loop, everytime it happens I need to give it a hard reboot.

Lately it has been happening more and more. I opened my tower and cleaned and dusted it, still, no dice. My problem is I can't tell if it is being caused by overheating or a crappy power supply. Because even using programs such as my sony vegas and the like it also will cause a freeze.

My next step was to buy a nice 550 watt corsair, but, does anybody here think the psu is the problem?

Your link is broken. I would download a temp monitoring program. I believe speenfan monitors the temps of the GPU. It also may be a driver issue try the latest drivers from nvidia. If both of those fail to help diagnose the issue then yea maybe try replacing the psu.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Don't think speedfan actually does monitor those in any circumstances.

Rivatuner is all you need for GPU monitoring/clocking.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hawkian said:
Don't think speedfan actually does monitor those in any circumstances.

Rivatuner is all you need for GPU monitoring/clocking.

Your right. It's Rivatuner.

evlcookie said:
Does anyone know if the P180/P183 (whatever model it is now that's available) will be able to take a 5850? I assume the answer is yes :lol

I've always wanted one of these cases, Started thinking about it again after trying to find a case for a new build. So pretty and quiet!

I have a P180 and it fits fine if you remove the lower hdd cage. You might be able to squeeze it in without removing it, but I'm not using it and it increased the airflow from the front 120mm fan so I went ahead and took it out.

ACH1LL3US

Borman said:

I just bought the Silverstone TJ03 case.. its the same case Falcon Northwest uses minus the Falcon Water Jet into the front door. Its WICKED nice quality, reminds me of the G5 tower by Apple, same material, Aluminium Alloy. Below is where you can buy it, its got alot of positive reviews! I am in mindst of getting mine painted Ferrari Avio Metallic PPG , gonna be sick :0

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=tj03&area=

The case is alot smaller then you would think, it's the nicest pc case I have ever seen, Im sure it will look even better after being painted with Ferrari paint.

Stantron

Anyone know where I can buy a pre-configured Core i7 desktop machine with options for an Intel SSD and DDR3 1600Mhz ram? Neither Dell nor HP have these options for their custom desktops.

JohnsonUT

Got my computer today and have an installation question. I plugged my Sapphire 4870 into the motherboard and there are two 6-pin slots on the back. The card came with two 4-pin to 6-pin converters. Do i need to provide power to both slots, one, neither?

JohnsonUT said:
Got my computer today and have an installation question. I plugged my Sapphire 4870 into the motherboard and there are two 6-pin slots on the back. The card came with two 4-pin to 6-pin converters. Do i need to provide power to both slots, one, neither?

Both

Minsc

Gold Member
Stantron said:
Anyone know where I can buy a pre-configured Core i7 desktop machine with options for an Intel SSD and DDR3 1600Mhz ram? Neither Dell nor HP have these options for their custom desktops.

http://www.ncixus.com/ Seems to be the place of choice for GAF. You pick the parts (so it's not completely pre-configured, but it's not too hard to pick some parts, just as for help, and hopefully someone will, or scroll back through a bunch of pages and look for posts of people who purchased systems like what you want), but ultimately this saves you a lot of money.

There's some links in the OP of shops that will put together a PC with a Intel SSD for you, like MainGear or pudgetsystems, or the like, but you'll pay more, a lot more. You're better off just doing it yourself or going the ncixus route if you care about saving money.

Edit: On an unrelated note, the MS Sidewinder X8 is great. I've become used to the form of it, and holy shit, mouse wheel acceleration is the best thing since sliced bread. You can actually scroll from top to bottom of a GAF thread in one fell swoop just by going faster on the scroll wheel. <3

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
brain_stew said:

Nice, I was wondering this for myself. If you overclock the E8400 could you add in a 5870 even, or (don't know if it exists yet) 5890?

AFAIK 3GHz dual core is still the top solution for games not optimized for quad qore so shouldn't have any problems bottleneck wise no?

edit, seeing the post above, I guess I'm good. :)

Binabik15

evil solrac v3.0 said:
your room is cold? great! free cooling for the PC.

Yeah, I love it!
:(

How is the used market for gpus? If I could sell a 5850 with a not to great loss and buy a reduced 5870 or faster card later that´d put my mind at rest. Considering that the cheapest 5870 is 293 euro and the cheapest 5850 is 209 euro all that hassle might prove uneccessary, though.

Anybody with recommendations about the RAM?

JohnsonUT

Put everything together. I believe I connected everything properly. I hit the power button. The CPU and Case fans both spin for a second then stop. Then spin again about 3 seconds later.

I disconnected all drives and the graphics card and still see the same problem. What else can I do to diagnose?

Edit: Never plugged in the CPU power. The did not read closely enough and the manual focused on the MB power.

chadums90

I haven't seen much talk about building an HTPC in this thread...Does anyone have any tips on good components for one? Obviously size (reasonable) and sound (quiet) are big keys here, but I'd like to have my cake and eat it, too (as best innards as possible). Any ideas?

Minsc

Gold Member
chadums90 said:
I haven't seen much talk about building an HTPC in this thread...Does anyone have any tips on good components for one? Obviously size (reasonable) and sound (quiet) are big keys here, but I'd like to have my cake and eat it, too (as best innards as possible). Any ideas?

I just saw this today, when looking around earlier. It's probably not what you're looking for, but should give you a decent idea of what you can end up with (parts, etc). I'd look for tech report's new windows 7 PC guide, they have a HTPC section, that'll be a good start.

Stantron

Minsc said:
http://www.ncixus.com/ Seems to be the place of choice for GAF. You pick the parts (so it's not completely pre-configured, but it's not too hard to pick some parts, just as for help, and hopefully someone will, or scroll back through a bunch of pages and look for posts of people who purchased systems like what you want), but ultimately this saves you a lot of money.

There's some links in the OP of shops that will put together a PC with a Intel SSD for you, like MainGear or pudgetsystems, or the like, but you'll pay more, a lot more. You're better off just doing it yourself or going the ncixus route if you care about saving money.
Thanks for the input. I was hoping to avoid building my own system, but I guess it's that or pay a lot more through these online sites. I really like the convenience of Dell though. I'm surprised they haven't jumped on the SSD bandwagon yet. :/ I might wait to see what deals are around on Black Friday before buying.

DenogginizerOS said:
Hmm. Does not seem to have either options as far as I can tell.

birdchili

a pc plan is coming together relatively nicely, but finding a monitor that fits what i'm looking for is killing me. can anyone point me to something on this front?

i ideally want something that can support both my new pc, as well as an hd console without having to muck about with aspect ratios. i also want both monitor rotation ("portrait mode") and a *small* size (<=20" ideally). is there anything that fits these criteria? i've been looking for ages online, but haven't had much luck at all.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Looks like gigabyte have released their new P55 motherboards with USB 3.0 and Sata 3 support. So if you are interested in that tech, it's now - well almost - available.

It uses the same naming as the current P55 lineup, except it's called the P55A. That's how you tell you're picking up the usb/sata 3 version.

Website link is Here

equap

Banned
evlcookie said:
Looks like gigabyte have released their new P55 motherboards with USB 3.0 and Sata 3 support. So if you are interested in that tech, it's now - well almost - available.

It uses the same naming as the current P55 lineup, except it's called the P55A. That's how you tell you're picking up the usb/sata 3 version.

Website link is Here
damn it!!! i already bought a gigabyte p55 board :lol

Leezard

So, I'm looking to buy a laptop and I'm wondering: what's GAF's opinion on the Dell laptops Inpiron 15 and Studio 15?
At the moment, I seem inclined to buy the Inspiron one. What games can I play with the Intel Core 2 Duo P7450, 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330 and 4GB RAM? The customizing at Dell's website is really convenient. If you have another suggestion, please tell. I'll mostly be using this for school, but since I'll be stuck with the laptop for ~4-5 years I want it to be able to play some games as well, even if it is secondary.

This generation of games is moving pretty slowly graphically. I'm still maxing out games with my 8800 GTS 512, I just got borderlands and it runs perfectly with everything tapped out.

I wonder what the game will be to force me to do an upgrade eh.

Minsc

Gold Member
Leezard said:
So, I'm looking to buy a laptop and I'm wondering: what's GAF's opinion on the Dell laptops Inpiron 15 and Studio 15?
At the moment, I seem inclined to buy the Inspiron one. What games can I play with the Intel Core 2 Duo P7450, 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330 and 4GB RAM? The customizing at Dell's website is really convenient. If you have another suggestion, please tell. I'll mostly be using this for school, but since I'll be stuck with the laptop for ~4-5 years I want it to be able to play some games as well, even if it is secondary.

Look here.

Avoid anything from class 3 or 4 or 5, stick with a class 1 or 2 GPU. The higher up on the list the better.

We just ordered a new Dell with a 4570 w/ Core i7, which is at least a Class 2 GPU (albeit a lower one), so it should handle older gaming fine, and do alright on some of the lighter newer stuff.

It also means the 5-series ATI cards in laptops will be available soon :lol

TheHeretic said:
This generation of games is moving pretty slowly graphically. I'm still maxing out games with my 8800 GTS 512, I just got borderlands and it runs perfectly with everything tapped out.

I wonder what the game will be to force me to do an upgrade eh.

Take it you don't have STALKER Clear Sky? :)

Top Bottom