• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

edwardslane said:
Thanks for the replies guys regarding my system.. What is it a dell, it was on sale.. i saved 400+ according to them lol..

yea i figured i could get a PC built for cheaper if i went with the ideal website etc.. But i was buying a computer for my daughter as well so i just financed the systems.. i ordered them a few hours ago.

Thanks for the input guys!! 12 gigs of ram is def excessive but at least in a year or 2 i should still be able to run the top of the line games with that much.

Anyone know much about the CPU i'm getting? is that the newest on the market? well semi newest from intel

Having more than 4GB of RAM won't have any impact on that whatsoever.

nubbe said:
People seriously need to stop building i7 systems

I don't think many people realised that socket 1366 is actually a workstation/ultra enthusiast platform. It was never meant for the mainstream, and that's why you can spend a whole lot less on a i5 750 + 1156 and get better performance in the sorts of workloads most people end up with. If you really need hyperthreading then there's the i7 860, the i7 920 just isn't a great fit for many.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
nubbe said:
People seriously need to stop building i7 systems
2hhnq85.jpg

:lol

Of course you're right for the most part. Bang for the buck right now- you cannot hope to beat the i5s, they're simply great.

brain_stew said:
You really don't want to be using an old IDE drive for your system drive, think of this as a favour. HDDs have increased in speed a huge amount since IDE drives were ditched. Pick up a 500GB Samsung F3 if they stock them.

So swap out the IDE drive with the SATA and replace the HDD? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181 this is the one you were talking about?

I have another slot for an HDD. should I just replace it or add on to it?

Firestorm

neoism said:
Processor
Intel® Core™ i5 750 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

Memory
8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1333 Memory Module Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card
ATI Radeon HD 5870 - 1GB Single Card

Motherboard
Asus P7P55D LE -- Intel P55 Chipset CrossFire Supported w/7.1 Sound, Dual-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-Ex16 MB
Power Supply
650 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-650TX Power Supply SLI Ready

about same price
but isn't 2 5750 better than 1 5870 will this play CRYSIS in 1280X720 good...50fps??
2x 5750 performs similarly to one 5850 to one 5870 depending on the game. But single GPU will give you less issues for those. If you feel like, you could always get a 5850 or 5870 now and put in another a year down the line when the cards are much cheaper. You won't need two of those cards right now for any game at 720p. Crysis runs at 25 - 30 fps on my GTX 275 at 1080p so yes I think you'll be fine.

Minsc

Gold Member
neoism said:
about same price
but isn't 2 5750 better than 1 5870 will this play CRYSIS in 1280X720 good...50fps??

2 5750s is a small bit worse than 1 5870 as you can see here. It just edges in front of the 5850, and the 5870 is about 20% faster than the 5850, so it should easily top the 5770s.

And you will get microstutter with the Crossfire cards, as well as you can't compete against 2 5870s down the road (if you choose to go that route). Cost is roughly the same (5870 will run a bit more, thanks to the rarity, damn ATI).

5770 is a great card for lower resolutions, but there are very few cards (imo, only the 5850 and 5870) that can hold their own weight at 1080p and beyond at the highest settings without going in to the microstuttering issues of dual gpus.

neoism said:
Processor
Intel® Core™ i5 750 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

Memory
8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1333 Memory Module Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card

Motherboard
Asus P7P55D LE -- Intel P55 Chipset CrossFire Supported w/7.1 Sound, Dual-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-Ex16 MB
Power Supply
650 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-650TX Power Supply SLI Ready

about same price

No, not at all. Couple of things as well? The 5850 is much better value than the 5870, and any specific reason you need 8GB of RAM, most would be fine with 4GB.

Minsc said:
2 5750s is a small bit worse than 1 5870 as you can see here. It just edges in front of the 5850, and the 5870 is about 20% faster than the 5850, so it should easily top the 5770s.

And you will get microstutter with the Crossfire cards, as well as you can't compete against 2 5870s down the road (if you choose to go that route). Cost is roughly the same (5870 will run a bit more, thanks to the rarity, damn ATI).

5770 is a great card for lower resolutions, but there are very few cards (imo, only the 5850 and 5870) that can hold their own weight at 1080p and beyond at the highest settings without going in to the microstuttering issues of dual gpus.

As a general rule of thumb, I always take around 50% off any crossfire/SLI results, its the only way to make it somewhat relevant to the real world experience. Micro stutter, high power draws, waiting around weeks for multi GPU support to be patched in it all, ineffecient use of memory, and more, its just not a remotely comparable experience no matter what the charts say.

DMPrince said:
So swap out the IDE drive with the SATA and replace the HDD? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181 this is the one you were talking about?

I have another slot for an HDD. should I just replace it or add on to it?

You can use the old IDE drive for media. Use the new drive for your OS and programs.

neoism

Video Card

Motherboard

Thanks for the info guys I went a head and bought it but one more ? will the motherboard work with the 5870. Also (lol) How you use the video cards, do you use HDMI or VGA.

Chairhome

neoism said:
Video Card

Motherboard

Thanks for the info guys I went a head and bought it but one more ? will the motherboard work with the 5870. Also (lol) How you use use the video cards, do you use HDMI or VGA.
If DVI is an option, that's usually what I use.

neoism

brain_stew said:
No, not at all. Couple of things as well? The 5850 is much better value than the 5870, and any specific reason you need 8GB of RAM, most would be fine with 4GB.

Only opinion they had with i5's, I wanted 6GB :/

neoism

Chairhome said:
If DVI is an option, that's usually what I use.
Well it is but my 720P HDTV has one extra HDMI, but I was just wondering why the cards themselves have HDMI ports do you plug them in to the motherboard. I'm using VGA now
a1k68j.jpg

So if I don't want to use HDMI...???

You don't want to be outputting at 720p either, scaling is ugly and introduced lag.

Output at the naive resolution of your panel and make sure you disable all of the processing settings. This might mean using VGA and it almost certainly means outputting at 1360x768.

NZNova

Got a new system last week; i7 920, 12tb ram, ATI 5870, Win7 running off an SSD. Works great for me, my only gripe so far is video card incompatibility with The Witcher. :(

Bananakin

NZNova said:
Got a new system last week; i7 920, 12tb ram, ATI 5870, Win7 running off an SSD. Works great for me, my only gripe so far is video card incompatibility with The Witcher. :(

I don't know, do you think that's enough?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

neoism

Firestorm said:
Use the HDMI port to connect the video card to your TV. The motherboard has no display options. That's the video card's job.
lol thanks, I guess that makes sense, I've been searching for an answer for about an hour.:lol I guess sense my graphics are integrated it uses the mother board! Soo does the card come with one or am I going to monoprice in a minute!:lol

Thanks again fo the info !!:D
brain_stew said:
You don't want to be outputting at 720p either, scaling is ugly and introduced lag.

Output at the naive resolution of your panel and make sure you disable all of the processing settings. This might mean using VGA and it almost certainly means outputting at 1360x768.
I wasn't I'm using what you said,1366x768, but as Firestorm said I can't use VGA, well I didn't need the vga anyways, I'm giving my old computer to my Mom, once I reinstal XP!

Gexecuter said:
I might get a job soon so in the unlikely case i get hired with a good salary i though it would be cool to make a build just for fun, here's what i have:

HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725050GLA360 (0A35415) 500GB 7200 RPM

Sapphire Video PCIE HD4850 1024mb DDR3

Kingston DDR3 2Gb 1333MHz PC3-10600 (2Gbx1)

AMD CPU Athlon II X2 250 Box (AM3)

ECS M/B AMD A785GM-M A/L/V (AM3)

went with a AM3 board so i could take full advantage of my CPU tough i dunno if was all that necessary, anyway thoughts?

Pretty poor choices throughout tbh, instead of going through it all I'd just point you to the $550 config I made.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
brain_stew said:
Pretty poor choices throughout tbh, instead of going through it all I'd just point you to the $550 config I made.

ouch, keep in mind that i don't wanna spend that much and my choices are limited considering i don't in the U.S. I'll take a look at your config.

Gexecuter said:
I might get a job soon so in the unlikely case i get hired with a good salary i though it would be cool to make a build just for fun, here's what i have:

HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725050GLA360 (0A35415) 500GB 7200 RPM

Sapphire Video PCIE HD4850 1024mb DDR3

Kingston DDR3 2Gb 1333MHz PC3-10600 (2Gbx1)

AMD CPU Athlon II X2 250 Box (AM3)

ECS M/B AMD A785GM-M A/L/V (AM3)

went with a AM3 board so i could take full advantage of my CPU tough i dunno if was all that necessary, anyway thoughts?

I have to strongly advise against an ECS motheroboard. I would also get a 5xxx series radeon card over a 4xxx series.

Gexecuter said:
ouch, keep in mind that i don't wanna spend that much and my choices are limited considering i don't in the U.S. I'll take a look at your config.

Well why did you link to sites in the US? Link directly to the store you're buying from. There becomes a point where you going from buying high value "bang for buck" parts to overpriced junk, that just neds up costing you more in the long run. Cheaping out too much is often the most expensive route.

You save what, $20/£10/15 Euros buy going with 2GB of RAM, what the hell's the point, its already not enough and it limits how much you can upgrade to in the future, so its a shitty choice. 4850s are now EOL, have a very high power consumption compared to its competitors and their price is rising, again making it generally a shitty choice. ECS motherboards are utter trash, again a shitty choice, I could go on but I think you get my point.

If you don't have the cash to do it properly then save up until you can.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
neoism said:
Video Card

Motherboard

Thanks for the info guys I went a head and bought it but one more ? will the motherboard work with the 5870. Also (lol) How you use the video cards, do you use HDMI or VGA.
That mobo only supports 8x/4x instead of 8x/8x, which makes crossfire or SLI pretty much useless. If you want a cheap mobo with full crossfire/SLI support I suggest getting the ASRock P55 Extreme.

If you don't care either way then... well I still would go with the Asrock because it has a better sound chip.

neoism

SapientWolf said:
That mobo only supports 8x/4x instead of 8x/8x, which makes crossfire or SLI pretty much useless. If you want a cheap mobo with full crossfire/SLI support I suggest getting the ASRock P55 Extreme.

If you don't care either way then... well I still would go with the Asrock because it has a better sound chip.
:( damn I can't cancel the order! O'well I my call them tomorrow and see if I can get a better mobo

Firestorm said:
The most important part for games is the video card which is why I wouldn't have recommended $1500 on a computer with a mid-range card from 2008. Well as long as you're happy. The i7 is one of the top range processors.

Edit: Did you mean you bought a second computer + that one? Or that the one computer was for both people? You're basically paying $500 for financing which is like 33% interest.

Yea i got another computer to go with mine. little laptop for her for christmas.. yea i realise the interest is prety high... but i plan to pay it much faster anyways.. Just doing this so i can make smaller payments short term.

Yea i din't do much research overall on everything in the system.. but i did browse dell.ca quite a bit and that seemed like a decent machine. It's wayyy more powerful than what i have and i think it'll be fine for my needs over the next 3-4 years.. I usually upgrade to a new computer every 3-4 years.. and if i need upgrades along the way i don't mind upgrading :)

Thanks for the input! I'm sure i could get it cheaper and better.. but the way computer technology moves.. i'm content with a solid machine

byropoint

So GAF, for the frist time I'm making a rig by myself and this is what I'm looking at:

XFX Radeon HD4890, 1GB GDDR5

Intel Core i7 920, 2.66GHz

4GB KINGMAX DDR3 RAM, 1333MHz (2x2)

GIGABYTE EX58-UD3R MBO

650W Scythe Kamariki 4 PSU

Coolermaster Gladiator 600 MIDI Case

I can't decide between Samsungs Spinpoint F3 and WDs Caviar Black HDDs, which one should I go for (they're roughly the same price here)? Also, will a 650W power supply be enough? Anything I should change?

Thanks in advance!

Stantron

OK, after doing some research on my own, question time...

1) 1600MHz versus 1333Mhz DDR3: 1600MHz is overkill, right? But it's not that much more expensive.
2) Any cons going with Intel X25-M 80GB primary drive (besides being early adopter, high cost)? I would use a secondary 1TB SATA for storing pics/music/etc. OS and programs would launch from SSD, hence quicker. Good idea?
3) Is the 1.8BG NVIDIA GTX 295 better than 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5870? It has more ram and is more expensive but does not seem to support DirectX 11.
4) i7-860 = 2.80Ghz, 95W Lynnfield VERSUS i7-920 = 2.66Ghz, 130W Bloomfield . Roughly same cost. 860 is better because it can utilize turbo mode more efficiently, correct? The 920 name seems to indicate it's better than 860. Am I missing something?

Regardless, I think i5 750 will be the better deal since I plan to mostly run in 2 active core mode. The table on THIS Anandtech link helped me see the light.

when I play game or do anything. my fan gets loud. which fan is that? i feel heat from the PSU. i assume it's that one?

EDIT: nevermind. it's the cooling fan.

what's the best solution to lessen the noise?

DMPrince said:
when I play game or do anything. my fan gets loud. which fan is that? i feel heat from the PSU. i assume it's that one?

EDIT: nevermind. it's the cooling fan.

what's the best solution to lessen the noise?

The best way is to figure out what is causing most of your noise. If they are case fans replace them with more quieter fans from Scythe, Noctua, Noise Blocker, or low speed yate loons if you want to save some money.

Hard drives would be next probably. The best way I have seen around on the net is using elastic suspension if your case don't have a soft mounting system.

The last thing you can do is adding noise absorbing foam on the inside panels of your case, but this can cause things to get warmer inside. But I don't recommend doing this first. Eliminate the nosiest parts.

Tons of great info and tips here and great reviews
http://www.silentpcreview.com/section5.html

Okay. found it. Dragon Age is making my CPU usage to be 90+%. how to lessen the noise?

More information. I think it can't handle the setting i put on it.

1440x900. Very High Quality, 8xAA, High Texture, and Vsync. I ended up dropping the AA to 2x, and screen resolution and turned off Vsync (For now) and it's a lot quieter.

Paznos

Question... Last night went to shutdown my computer and everything was fine, this morning I go to turn it on and it doesn't boot, not posting, no beeps or anything. It's has done this a few times before but what is causing it ? MB going bad? or PSU going bad? haven't been able to boot it at all today.

sca2511

Can someone recommend me the current best CPU for socket LGA 775 as well as the best price/performance (including overclocking) ratio CPU for the same socket

I currently have an e2180 @ 3.2ghz and it's been running fine. Just want to know some good options for upgrading.

Wraith

Paznos said:
Question... Last night went to shutdown my computer and everything was fine, this morning I go to turn it on and it doesn't boot, not posting, no beeps or anything. It's has done this a few times before but what is causing it ? MB going bad? or PSU going bad? haven't been able to boot it at all today.

In the past this has been a CMOS battery issue for me. That'd be one thing to check.

Minsc

Gold Member
Bluemercury said:
Just installed cod4 on my i7920/HD 5870 machine, but i didnt get that monstruous performance i thought i would....

Got any numbers? Sounds like it must be a driver thing or something's not working right.

I can't even find benchmarks for that game anymore, everything is Call of Duty 5. 5 doesn't seem to get much better than 50-70fps at 1920x1200 no matter what you use (baring dual gpus).

A i7 920 at clock speeds is often about 10% slower (or more) than some of the better CPUs.

birdchili

hi pc-folk... a few more questions?

if you can't game at the full resolution of a fixed-resolution display, does the display have to do the scaling? can your video card do it? any gaming implications here?

best single small investment to decrease noise in an i5/ati 57xx setup would be an aftermarket cpu cooler? worth it if i'm not planning on overclocking?

is gaming on an ips monitor ill-conceived? i really like the look of the nec ea231wmi, but i'm only replacing my currnet pva panel (samsung 173t) because ghosing is really bad on it (i *love* that samsung otherwise). the internet seems typically split between "it's beautiful for gaming" and "omg! what a blurry mess!". i'm not going to be be playing competitive online fpses or anything, but you can only barely play modern pc games without playing some first person stuff...

NIN90

NIN90 said:
My current setup:

AMD Phenom X4 9550

AMD Radeon HD 4850 512 MByte

4,0 GByte DDR2 RAM

MSI 780G-Mainboard

What should I upgrade? CPU or GPU? I feel like I'm not getting everything out of my rig so I think something's bottlenecking me.

I just replaced my CPU with a Phenom II X4 955 BE. The fan doesn't fit perfectly tho and my PC lists the CPU as "AMD Processor model unknown" .

Is that a bad sign?

Pachimari

As posted earlier in the thread I'm building my own computer next year when the Nvidia Fermi comes out. Should I come back by that time or is there anything I can set in stone now? I were recommended a Core i7 860, a SSD from Intel or OCZ. Which soundcard has 5.1 output? And when is the MSI 'big bang' motherboard coming out? What I want this computer to do is to have the best performance and graphics possible in games that also support 3D Vision.

byropoint said:
So GAF, for the frist time I'm making a rig by myself and this is what I'm looking at:

XFX Radeon HD4890, 1GB GDDR5

Intel Core i7 920, 2.66GHz

4GB KINGMAX DDR3 RAM, 1333MHz (2x2)

GIGABYTE EX58-UD3R MBO

650W Scythe Kamariki 4 PSU

Coolermaster Gladiator 600 MIDI Case

I can't decide between Samsungs Spinpoint F3 and WDs Caviar Black HDDs, which one should I go for (they're roughly the same price here)? Also, will a 650W power supply be enough? Anything I should change?

Thanks in advance!

Samsung F3s use denser platters, buy one of them instead. Your other choices don't seem too great mind.

DMPrince said:
Okay. found it. Dragon Age is making my CPU usage to be 90+%. how to lessen the noise?

More information. I think it can't handle the setting i put on it.

1440x900. Very High Quality, 8xAA, High Texture, and Vsync. I ended up dropping the AA to 2x, and screen resolution and turned off Vsync (For now) and it's a lot quieter.

Buy a better CPU cooler!

Dragon Age is CPU bound on most rigs, reducing your graphics settings probably won't have much impact on your framerate.

brain_stew said:
Buy a better CPU cooler!

Dragon Age is CPU bound on most rigs, reducing your graphics settings probably won't have much impact on your framerate.
which is the the CPU cooler? i'm not that smart when it comes to the insides of a computer. :lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The fan not fitting is a bad sign, are you saying it didn't come with one?

EDIT: Brain Stew: how would buying a new cooler reduce is CPU cycle usage?

DMPrince said:
which is the the CPU cooler? i'm not that smart when it comes to the insides of a computer. :lol.

Um the thing that cools your CPU? You know the big hunk of aluminium and the fan on top of your CPU? What socket are you on?

ianswoody

My last computer build was in 2001. I have been using it pretty sparingly since. I have a laptop that I use for most of administrative stuff. I just want a PC that can hook up to my 50" plasma via HDMI for multimedia purposes and just to casually game on. I saw this on Tiger Direct and thought it looked like something that would be able to all of this for me. Thoughts?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5406477&sku=B69-0143

Asus M4A785-M Phenom X4 9750 Barebone Kit

This Bundle Includes

* Asus M4A785-M Motherboard
* AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core Processor - OEM (CPU Fan not Included)
* Corsair XMS2 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory
* 750GB Seagate ST3750630AS Barracuda Hard Drive
* XFX Radeon HD 4350 Video Card
* LG GH22NS50-AUAU DVD Writer
* Apex PC-389 ATX Black Mid Tower Case
* Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply
* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit Operating System

Top Bottom