• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Megaton said:
I'm looking to buy a PC and have found these two that I like and am undecided on which one to get. Which of these two do you guys think would be a better buy for gaming? I'm not really good with computers so I can't build one and don't know how to OC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...227174&cm_re=ibuypower-_-83-227-174-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113103&cm_re=gateway-_-83-113-103-_-Product

Put together a custom system at ncixus.com and pay the $50 assembly charge.

If you have to choose one, the first one is a better buy but you can get a very similar config and save a fair wedge of cash.

TheHeretic said:
Can't improve on that rig much under $600. The best upgrade path is to get a better GPU but a 5850 takes you well over budget and is in short supply.

An i5 will give you better performance, but an i5 750 is $200 taking you over budget.

You can swap out the CPU for this if you want to go from 3 cores to 4:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...56&cm_re=and_phenom_II-_-19-103-656-_-Product

Definitely make this upgrade if you've got the cash. That CPU wasn't available when I put together that config and its a great deal.

Sipowicz

Banned
brain_stew said:
I use OCZ RAM its fine, be aware sometimes they expect you to pump a higher amount of voltage through their chips to get the advertised speeds.

By the looks of it you're buying a 3x2GB set. You only want two RAM DIMMs not three or you won't be running in dual channel mode.

Edit: Selling the spare DIMM is fine, where are you getting 6GB of DDR3 for £80 from?

That case has got really good airflow, I use it myself, I'd recommend getting an extra 120mm fan to fit in the front. The PSU in it is currently powering my brother's rig, its got all the necessary safety features and is very solid.

yeah, from the sound of it you know a lot more than my brother. he's helped me out a bit too but i'm definitely getting the motherboard and case you said

the OCZ RAM was on overclockers. It's called OCZ GOLD RAM. I figure if I can sell my brother one for 25 quid it'll have only cost me 55quid for both which is great

Meier

So my computer just randomly stopped working last week. Every time I boot up, it shuts down automatically within a few seconds.. I know there are any number of possibilities, most of which I don't want to explore. I've bought a replacement PSU that I'll test and if it doesn't fix the problem, I'm going to send it back and take the $20 restocking fee and get a new PC (wish it didn't happen around Christmas, ugh).

Does ncixus.com make it easy to ensure you have all the components to have them put the PC together? And how bad is shipping? I know cases are heavy as fuck so I can imagine it being like $100 shipping..do any of these custom PC sites offer it for free?

Also, does Newegg offer a similar service for putting the PC components together?

birdchili

Volcynika said:
*Still waits for a HD 5850 to be in stock*

:/
i got lucky on this last week. some online shops seem to have them periodically and you can use your fast clicking skills to grab one. some seem to just have a queue you can get into with no promised delivery time. at least one canadian online store lists them as "in stock" while they are decidedly *not* available for shipping to you. i went to a brick and mortar last week and they just laughed at me (they weren't getting *any* shipments. some b&m are definitely getting deliveries though)

try and find a 1TB spinpoint f3 in canada right now - just about as difficult. seeing them on newegg.com is just a taunt (they don't ship to canada).

i should be building by this weekend... excited.

Septimus

Shit, I just realized I forgot to add a network card to the PC I made from NCIX last week. When the PC arrives, can I just take the one out of my old computer and Windows 7 will recognize it?

Septimus said:
Shit, I just realized I forgot to add a network card to the PC I made from NCIX last week. When the PC arrives, can I just take the one out of my old computer and Windows 7 will recognize it?

If its somewhat modern, more than likely yes, every wireless card I've thrown at Vista has been recognised and Windows update has provided me with the latest drivers.

alternade

TheHeretic said:
Can't improve on that rig much under $600. The best upgrade path is to get a better GPU but a 5850 takes you well over budget and is in short supply.

An i5 will give you better performance, but an i5 750 is $200 taking you over budget.

You can swap out the CPU for this if you want to go from 3 cores to 4:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...56&cm_re=and_phenom_II-_-19-103-656-_-Product

Would that amd quad core be comparable to an i5? I only buy a pc every couple of years so i want it to last. I'm thinking i might have to up my budget.

What would be a good i5 rig for say $700?

Any suggestions on making this build cheaper or alternatives/comments? It's not for gaming they just want a really fast PC. The guy really didn't give me a budget, says he's putting it on his credit card so it doesn't matter.

35m4lr6.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
no video card at all? id go for a cheaper SSD, but thats just me.
a 30gb ssd with 500 gb secondary should be enough.

but, hes giving you a blank check so i guess it doesnt matter.

alternade said:
Would that amd quad core be comparable to an i5? I only buy a pc every couple of years so i want it to last. I'm thinking i might have to up my budget.

The bottom line is than any money beyond even the most modest of CPU's is going to be best spent on the GPU. I have a Q6600 which is really pretty outdated at this stage and everything I play is still GPU limited. AM3 is also a better socket type in that future CPU releases from AMD will fit it, whereas the i5's (at least to my knowledge) may simply be a dead end.

The 5770 is a weird GPU. Its slightly behind the 4870/260 GTX but it does have DX11 which is nice. Ideally you want a 5850 as your "next step" but as you can't find them its hard to say.

As far as how long it will last a Quad core that can be overclocked well, at 2.8ghz is enough. How long the 5770 will last you depends mostly on the resolution you use.

kmfdmpig

Finally ordered a new computer.

Case: Nzxt Tempest EVO Gaming Tower Case
PSU: 750 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-750TX Power Supply
Cooler: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P
CPU: Core i7 860
RAM: Corsair 8GB 2x4
Video Card: Radeon 5850
Hard Drive 1: 80 GB Intel X25-M MLC SSD
Hard Drive 2: 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM

How'd I do?

MWS Natural said:
Any suggestions on making this build cheaper or alternatives/comments? It's not for gaming they just want a really fast PC. The guy really didn't give me a budget, says he's putting it on his credit card so it doesn't matter.

35m4lr6.jpg

Find a case that has free shipping. That'll save you like, 30 dollars.

Just get the green version of that case. It's got free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...156098&cm_re=Similodon-_-11-156-098-_-Product

kmfdmpig said:

How'd I do?

pfft, Show off.

Meier

alternade said:
How up to date is this rig from the budget thread?

My budget is $600 and I already have a pretty good monitor. Is there anything I could upgrade?

edit: total buider noob question, Would I see better performance with an i5?
So I plugged in those items or equivalents on Newegg and it's definitely pretty cheap. My only question, the OCZ RAM is a lot more right now ($90 after MIR). I have 2 2GB RAM sticks that are mostly brand new, would these work with that set-up?

Corsair XMS2 4 GB (2 X 2 GB) PC2-6400 800 MHz 240-PIN DDR2 Dual-Channel Memory Kit - TWIN2X4096-6400C5

If so, I am tempted to just buy the components and try and do it myself like the old days. It would only be $530 after MIRs.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
kmfdmpig said:

How'd I do?
I tell all the overclockers about the Foxconn socket issue. Make sure that board has the new revised socket. I recommend getting the firmware that supports the Windows 7 Trim feature for your SSD, otherwise you'll see degraded performance over time.

The i7 860 is a weird choice for socket 1156. You might as well go 1366. The motherboards aren't that much more expensive if you're looking for something similar to the UD4P, and the 920 costs about the same as the 860.

edit: I also hear that Gigabyte steals bandwidth from the PCIe 2.0 lane to implement USB 3.0 and SATA 3. That means your 16x slot will become an 8x slot when those are enabled, and you'll lose crossfire/SLI.

MWS Natural said:

35m4lr6.jpg

Not a fan of m-ATX notherboards in full size systems personally, too restricting, and I'd stay well clear of that PSU/case combo.

He'll probably be fine with Home Premium unless there's a specific feature in Professional he needs and has requested.

You still need some sort of graphics card. This'll do, should be nice and quiet with its beefy cooling, gives him the option of games/GPGPU apps later down the line and has native HDMI out with audio which will come in handy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161287&cm_re=4670-_-14-161-287-_-Product

This HDD is much faster for the same price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...52181&cm_re=samsung_f3-_-22-152-181-_-Product

alternade said:

No, but you're not spending in the $1000 range so its not even worth considering. If you need more CPU power then you can OC that chip an awful lot, and AM3 has some great upgrade options.

Meier said:
So I plugged in those items or equivalents on Newegg and it's definitely pretty cheap. My only question, the OCZ RAM is a lot more right now ($90 after MIR). I have 2 2GB RAM sticks that are mostly brand new, would these work with that set-up?

Corsair XMS2 4 GB (2 X 2 GB) PC2-6400 800 MHz 240-PIN DDR2 Dual-Channel Memory Kit - TWIN2X4096-6400C5

If so, I am tempted to just buy the components and try and do it myself like the old days. It would only be $530 after MIRs.

No, that rig needs DDR3 RAM. There are DDR2 AM3 motherboards available though.

How can I make this build better:

[Motherboard (MSI 770 AM3 DDR3)]: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/165438 (£49.66)
[CPU (Athlon ii X3 435 2.9ghz)]: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176043 (65.67)
[RAM (Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333mhz)]: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166463 (£80.79)
[GPU (XFX HD 4870 512MB)]:http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169206 (£91.20)
[DVD (22X Sony DVDRW)]: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170014 (£15.89)
[Case/PSU (Coolermaster Elite 330 and Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 460w PSU)]: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135101 (£54.99)
[HDD (Samsung F3 500GB)]: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146252 (£42.54)

Total cost = £400.74 delivered

With a £700 budget?

birdchili

SapientWolf said:
edit: I also hear that Gigabyte steals bandwidth from the PCIe 2.0 lane to implement USB 3.0 and SATA 3. That means your 16x slot will become an 8x slot when those are enabled, and you'll lose crossfire/SLI.
this is true, but i don't think there are any other 1156 boards that do usb3/sata3. for a single-gpu setup I've heard it's a small hit performance-wise right now as the x16 bandwidth isn't being anywhere near used up currently. someone can correct me here if that's way off.

the p55a boards from gigabyte have Lotes sockets instead of Foxconns too, which is good for peace of mind even if you're not overclocking imo.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Sup GAF. How many FPS should I ideally be able to get in Dolphin running Super Mario Galaxy with my PC (3 GHz quad core, 8 GB PC6400 RAM, 5770)? I've been running it in 640x480, windowed mode (1x anisotropic, no AA), so far, and it seems to keep between 30-50 FPS, with the occasional dip down to 20-30 FPS. Is there any way to improve the framerate to make the game run as smooth as possible? I don't really care that much about getting the graphics to max, as long as the game runs reasonably fluid.

jett

D-Member
Here's a couple of noobish questions:

1) When the framerate changes little no matter what resolution the game is set at, this means the machine is bottlenecked by the cpu, right?

2) When I play really demanding games(like Crysis), I can perceive a slight burning smell coming out of my computer. :p This is something that has always happened since I upgraded my PC months ago. I imagine this is not normal at all, but is it? I want to be sure before I start freaking out. :p

Combichristoffersen said:
Sup GAF. How many FPS should I ideally be able to get in Dolphin running Super Mario Galaxy with my PC (3 GHz quad core, 8 GB PC6400 RAM, 5770)? I've been running it in 640x480, windowed mode (1x anisotropic, no AA), so far, and it seems to keep between 30-50 FPS, with the occasional dip down to 20-30 FPS. Is there any way to improve the framerate to make the game run as smooth as possible? I don't really care that much about getting the graphics to max, as long as the game runs reasonably fluid.

Here's the thing, the Dolphin emulator won't take advantage of your quad, and cpu speed is more important than what video card you have. In fact, increasing the resolution and the image quality probably won't affect your framerate at all. Mario Galaxy, and all emulated games really, need to run at 60hz for the speed to be normal. If you're that set into having Mario Galaxy run perfectly, you'll have to look into overclocking that cpu. :p

Meier

brain_stew said:
No, that rig needs DDR3 RAM. There are DDR2 AM3 motherboards available though.
Thanks for the scoop. The RAM was pretty cheap so it isn't that big of a deal but it would have been nice to be able to re-use it. In your build, would you be able to have up to 16 GB of RAM then if you were so inclined?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Resolution doesn't matter, pump that and AA to max. The GPU load is minimal. It all lies on your CPU clock speed (2 cores). Try something like 3.6 or 3.8 Ghz if you can.
jett said:
Here's a couple of noobish questions:

1) When the framerate changes little no matter what resolution the game is set at, this means the machine is bottlenecked by the cpu, right?

2) When I play really demanding games(like Crysis), I can perceive a slight burning smell coming out of my computer. :p This is something that has always happened since I upgraded my PC months ago. I imagine this is not normal at all, but is it? I want to be sure before I start freaking out. :p
1. Until a high enough resolution stresses the GPU more, yes. (Even though 12 fps at 2560x1600 is not going to be nice to play at)
2. That's just the dust burning off :D

OC, raw clockspeed is the only real solution. The closer to 4ghz you get, the better. Reducing graphics settings isn't going to make any difference.

3rdman

Thanks to some guidance here and elsewhere, I've finally completed my system...

Case: Antec P180
PSU: 750 Watt -- Earthworks Antec
Cooler: Nutone
Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70
CPU: AMD 955 4-Core Black Edition
RAM: GSkill 2x4GB 1600
Video Card: Radeon 4850 1GB (Will upgrade to 5850 when they drop in price a bit)
Hard Drive 1: 750 GB 7200 RPM 32mb buffer
Hard Drive 2-5: 8 TB (4 x 2TB drive in Raid 5)

Freakin' love it...I played through Crysis on the "High" settings averaging about 45-50 fps.

Combichristoffersen

jett said:
Here's the thing, the Dolphin emulator won't take advantage of your quad, and cpu speed is more important than what video card you have. In fact, increasing the resolution and the image quality probably won't affect your framerate at all. Mario Galaxy, and all emulated games really, need to run at 60hz for the speed to be normal. If you're that set into having Mario Galaxy run perfectly, you'll have to look into overclocking that cpu. :p

I know Dolphin doesn't take advantage of the quad (as it only supports dual core cpus) ;) I tried running it at higher reolutions, and the framerate seemed to take a slight hit. Not enough to cripple it to under 10 FPS, but still.. And I won't risk overclocking my cpu with a stock cooler :lol Anyway, SMG is still playable, even at 30 FPS, so it's no big deal if there's nothing that can be done to make it more fluid. BTW, how would PS2 emulation run on my specs? I assume it should be better than Wii emulation?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I know Dolphin doesn't take advantage of the quad (as it only supports dual core cpus) ;) I tried running it at higher reolutions, and the framerate seemed to take a slight hit. Not enough to cripple it to under 10 FPS, but still.. And I won't risk overclocking my cpu with a stock cooler :lol Anyway, SMG is still playable, even at 30 FPS, so it's no big deal if there's nothing that can be done to make it more fluid. BTW, how would PS2 emulation run on my specs? I assume it should be better than Wii emulation?
The framerate should not take any significant hit.

Try looking on dolphin forums to ways to boost FPS. (Usually a certain build or a few settings).

jett

D-Member

PS2 emulation should run with no hitches whatsoever, except, you know, game-related bugs. :p

Hazaro said:
1. Until a high enough resolution stresses the GPU more, yes. (Even though 12 fps at 2560x1600 is not going to be nice to play at)
2. That's just the dust burning off :D

lol thanks, it's still kinda scary. :p

Combichristoffersen

jett said:
PS2 emulation should run with no hitches whatsoever, except, you know, game-related bugs. :p

Thanks. Still trying to get PCSXE2 to work properly. It's possibly the most user-unfriendly emulator I've ever used. Ugh. :lol

Meier

brain_stew:

I am looking at NCIXUS.com as I'd rather not have to put the PC together myself and it looks like their bundle for the AMD Phenom II is a bit more expensive (and it seems like the mobo is a DDR2 actually so it could work out for me if I re-used my RAM).

They (supposedly) offer this combo for $183.27:

Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H AMD790GX ATX AM3 DDR3 2PCI-E Sound GBLAN HDMI CrossFireX Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad Core Processor AM3 3.0GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM Retail Box

The reason I say supposedly is it seems like it isn't letting me ad the AMD Phenom II to my cart for whatever reason.. I guess I'd ask tech support about it. Anyway, that looks like it's a much better combination but I figured I'd ask a pro.

Meier said:
brain_stew:

I am looking at NCIXUS.com as I'd rather not have to put the PC together myself and it looks like their bundle for the AMD Phenom II is a bit more expensive (and it seems like the mobo is a DDR2 actually so it could work out for me if I re-used my RAM).

They (supposedly) offer this combo for $183.27:

Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H AMD790GX ATX AM3 DDR3 2PCI-E Sound GBLAN HDMI CrossFireX Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad Core Processor AM3 3.0GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM Retail Box

The reason I say supposedly is it seems like it isn't letting me ad the AMD Phenom II to my cart for whatever reason.. I guess I'd ask tech support about it. Anyway, that looks like it's a much better combination but I figured I'd ask a pro.

Looks well suited to your needs, yeah.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Do they make cases that make replacing a cpu heatsink and north bridge fan easy? Like a door? I hate taking the motherboard out and unplugging the panel connectors for crap like that in my case.

I seen some that open on both sides. But I want a hole behind the coolers.

See

I didn't know this thread existed so I posten a new thread... I will repost here :)

..from Gaf!

So, I don’t really know much about the latest computer tech and I have been using a six year old pc and have been focused on console gaming. But that computer has moved on and I think it’s time for me to move on for another 6 years.

Basically, I will be using it mostly for Photoshop or other image editing and possibly 3d stuff as well...

But I do want to use it for games too; I really want to play Crysis again in decent graphics instead of a custom low setting at average 10fps on my old Athlon 2100+!

So.. I have been doing a lot of research and been trying to get my head around, so far I got these:

MSI 790GX-G65 790GX HT3 DD3 AM3 ATX Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz 8MB AM3 - Retail Box
Corsair TW3X4G1600C9D 4GB (2x XMS3 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHz) XMP DDR3 RAM, 2x240-pin DIMMs, Non ECC
Sunbeam Silent Storm Black Twister 600watt PSU
PowerColor ATI RADEON HD4870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Graphic Card
BENQ G2220HD 21.5" Full HD LCD Monitor

What I am not sure about is the motherboard and ram...
Is there a better motherboard for cheaper and is this ram compatible? And can I go cheaper without using DDR2?
How about the LCD? Is there a better option within that price range?

I am on a budget... but I don’t mind going a little over but a lot under is always preferred!
I also want this computer to last me a really long time.

Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks for the tips guys. I downgraded the SSD to a smaller size, changed the case to one with free shipping and went with a cheaper Phenom IIx4 combo instead.

kmfdmpig

SapientWolf said:
I tell all the overclockers about the Foxconn socket issue. Make sure that board has the new revised socket. I recommend getting the firmware that supports the Windows 7 Trim feature for your SSD, otherwise you'll see degraded performance over time.

The i7 860 is a weird choice for socket 1156. You might as well go 1366. The motherboards aren't that much more expensive if you're looking for something similar to the UD4P, and the 920 costs about the same as the 860.

Thanks, Sapient!

I am planning on getting the Trim download ASAP.

I do a fair amount of non-gaming, so I figured the i860 would be good as I'm not 100% sure I want to overclock, so the more aggressive turbo seems preferable to the 920.

I'm not really planning on going crossfire in the future, so that should be OK.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
What's a good, reliable brand for PSU's in the 650-750 watt range, ideally for $100 or less? I built my new i7 machine in June and my power supply is already dead (OCZ 700 watt) so I want something I can count on. Thanks in advance!

Len Dontree said:
What's a good, reliable brand for PSU's in the 650-750 watt range, ideally for $100 or less? I built my new i7 machine in June and my power supply is already dead (OCZ 700 watt) so I want something I can count on. Thanks in advance!

I've found the Antec Earthwatts/Truepower series to be very reliable and affordable.

Zyzyxxz

brain_stew said:
5870 is gone.

$310 for a 5850 is a little steep.

can't be helped if you want to even think about paying MSRP wait until early next year at the earliest if not possibly well into March.

Top Bottom