• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Durante

bee said:
just downgraded (massive upgrade) from a 24inch 1080p monitor to a Viewsonic VX2268WM 120hz 22inch monitor

anyone not bothered about 24 inch and on the lookout for a gaming monitor simply MUST buy a 120hz model, the difference is pretty incredible
I really want to go 120Hz, but I don't want anything less than full HD and I also don't really want to go TN, though I guess I could live with that. I wonder what happened to the ASUS full HD 120Hz that was announced ages ago.

Attention people who are having texture issues in borderlands with ATI cards:

There is nothing wrong with your computer, the 9.11 drivers just have a bug that causes that to happen :\

Durante

Borderlands PC is really a bit shitty, it's still the best version of course but it's ridiculous how hard it is to get AA to work with it. (Particularly since all the black outlines in the game really make it necessary IMHO)

Celcius

°Temp. member
I installed win 7 pro x64 on a 250gb hdd and now I'm running low on space. Is it possible to de-activate my copy of windows, install a bigger hdd (1TB), then re-install and re-activate on the new hdd? I got my win 7 from the MSDNAA deal but I've still got my install dvd and serial code.

TouchMyBox said:
Attention people who are having texture issues in borderlands with ATI cards:

There is nothing wrong with your computer, the 9.11 drivers just have a bug that causes that to happen :\

Thanks for the info. I hope that's also the case with Crysis rendering funny for me.

Durante said:
Borderlands PC is really a bit shitty, it's still the best version of course but it's ridiculous how hard it is to get AA to work with it. (Particularly since all the black outlines in the game really make it necessary IMHO)

I don't know if it really is the best. While there is the potential for better image quality, I get the feeling that the game wasn't optimized resource wise for PC. It's kinda disappointing the framerate you get for the image quality. That and making us use gamespy is also a huge negative.

Struct09

vocelcius said:
I installed win 7 pro x64 on a 250gb hdd and now I'm running low on space. Is it possible to de-activate my copy of windows, install a bigger hdd (1TB), then re-install and re-activate on the new hdd? I got my win 7 from the MSDNAA deal but I've still got my install dvd and serial code.

If it works like it did with XP and Vista, the worst case scenario is that you'll have to call Microsoft and manually activate it. It was pretty painless when I had to do it.

Red

vocelcius said:
My serial from the digital river student deal has worked for three installs.

nubbe

vocelcius said:
Can't you leave Windows on the harddrive and put all your crap on the other disk?

bee

Durante said:
I really want to go 120Hz, but I don't want anything less than full HD and I also don't really want to go TN, though I guess I could live with that. I wonder what happened to the ASUS full HD 120Hz that was announced ages ago.

i waited 3-4 months for the 24's and i'm sure they'll show up just after xmas but i don't really care, this upgrade was 100% worth it and i will never buy another monitor that is lower than 120hz ever again, the price drop to £205 was what finally swung it in the end though

you'll be waiting a long time for non TN 120hz panels though i'm sure

got used to the size now after 2 days, its really not too bad at all same height as my old 16:9 24 just a fair bit narrower. surprised at how much of a frame rate boost i'm getting too which is very welcome

but its the smoothness that really hits you, its like night and day when u switch it to 60hz mode, also i'm still trying to get it to tear, just ran far cry 2 dx10 benchmark which was very very bad for tearing in 60hz mode and i saw zero tearing again with 120hz

the nvidia 3d glasses should be here on tuesday too :p

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So, I got my new PSU and 5770. The PSU (a modular Chieftec 750W PSU) was a nuisance to get in place (as it was slightly bigger than my old PSU), but after cursing like a sailor for about an hour, I got it in place, yay. The GPU was a MAJOR fucking pain in the ass to get in place due to it being so fucking big. Also, whoever invented that shitty locking system for PCIe 2.0 slots, I hope you fucking rot in Hell forever while manatees rape you in the ass and donkeys shit in your nose, you cunt. That said, after even more cursing, a broken locking thingie on the PCIe 2.0 slot and threats of murder and violence, I got the card in place. Tried running Silent Hill 5 w/ 1680*1050 and video settings at high. Worked like a charm, and looked surprisingly much better than the PS3 version :D

ianswoody

This is in Newegg's Daily Deals today. Seems like a great build minus a graphics card. Thoughts? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...Combo.293841&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-293841-_-Combo All for $577.99

* Intel Core i5 750 (Lynnfield) 2.66GHz LGA 116 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
* GIGABYTE Intel P55 Chipset Micro ATX Motherboard (GA-P55M-UD2) - Retail
* Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) - Retail
* Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB 32MB cache SATA II 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (WD15EADS) - OEM
* Raidmax Hybrid 2 ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI/CrossFire Ready Modular LED 730W Power Supply (RX-730SS) - Retail
* Raidmax Quantum Black ATX Mid-Tower Case (ATX-798WB) - Retail

Red

SundaySounds said:
Well what the hell. I have it on my desktop, and it wouldn't let me put it on my laptop. Got the Pro edition from the digital River student deal.
Yeah, same as me. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Each install was activated without issue.

pestul

So I found out the other day that I had accidentally installed Windows 7 Pro x64 on my build with my SATA HDDs in IDE Compatibility mode. Sucks the ASUS P6T defaulted to it.. I was able to switch to SATA by using a registry hack, installing the drivers and then enabling it in BIOS (AHCI). After the fact, I still could barely tell I was in SATA G2 300MBps until I used SiSoft Sandra.. as they were still showing up under the IDE controllers. I had to switch device manager to 'view by connection' to see they were under the AHCI 1.0 SATA controller.

Then I find out after the fact that many still find faster performance in IDE mode with mechanical drives.. GRRR. Oh well, I'm keeping in SATA for when I get a Solid State Drive. For some reason though, I can't get my drives to switch to the JMicron controller driver and it just stays under the Microsoft AHCI SATA driver..

Aesius

How is the 4770?

Particularly, if paired with an AMD II X2 250.

TigerDirect has it for 89.99 AR (119.99-30). Should I pull the trigger?

MoFuzz

Aesius said:
How is the 4770?

That's a great price for that card. Excellent mid-range performance, low power drain. What resolution will you running at? should be good as long as you aren't going past 1680x1050. Past that you'll prolly have to turn down some details.

Aesius

MoFuzz said:
That's a great price for that card. Excellent mid-range performance, low power drain. What resolution will you running at? should be good as long as you aren't going past 1680x1050. Past that you'll prolly have to turn down some details.

1360x768. I'll be playing on my HDTV.

I'm just hoping to run PCSX2 and Dolphin at a smooth framerate, and stuff like Crysis and STALKER at 30 FPS.

MoFuzz

Aesius said:
1360x768. I'll be playing on my HDTV.

I'm just hoping to run PCSX2 and Dolphin at a smooth framerate, and stuff like Crysis and STALKER at 30 FPS.

Ah, you should have no issues then, especially paired with that AMD CPU. Great bang for the buck on both ends - GPU & CPU.

I'd say you'll get 60+ FPS on just about anything but Crysis.

markot

Banned
Id go for the 5770 instead now.

I got 4770, good card, but abit loud when your playing something that puts it under heavy load. But the 5770 is more future proof.

MoFuzz

markot said:
Id go for the 5770 instead now.

I got 4770, good card, but abit loud when your playing something that puts it under heavy load. But the 5770 is more future proof.

It's all about bang for the buck though right? He's not gonna find a 5770 for $90 right now. If he's gaming at 1360x768, it'd just be over kill anyways, spending more than necessary.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
markot said:
And yet!

He could get a 5770 with a free game, Dirt 2!

Also, DX11!

Also Also, it will last him longer!

I got no free game with my 5770 ;_;

BTW, I want to use my Dual Shock 3 for playing emulated games, Silent Hill 5 and such on my PC. What would be the best driver to use for the DS3, so as to make Vista/games recognize it as a controller? I've got a DS2 + DS2-to-USB converter and Xpadder, but it's a pain in the ass to remap all the keys in Xpadder for every emulator/game I want to play.

MoFuzz

markot said:
And yet!

He could get a 5770 with a free game, Dirt 2!

Also, DX11!

Also Also, it will last him longer!

Given the resolution he says it'll be used for, I just don't think it's worth the price hike involved, we're talking $90 compared to $170 here. Performance benefit will be negligible at lower resolutions anyways, and I really don't see games being pushed at a GPU level to the point where he would be kicking himself over getting the 4770. Especially with consoles being the preferred development target these days.

But, I see what you're saying. I'm sure Aesius will make the right choice for himself.

Aesius said:
How is the 4770?

That's what I had before I picked up the quad core, I actually had the X240. The 4770 is not only fast by itself but, it overclocks really easily.

Mrbob

I got my samsung Xl 2370 tonight, up and running and all I have to say is :eek:.

L4D2 looks like a completely new game on this. My frame rates at 1080P are also a lot better than I expected. Games must be relying more on the GPU than CPU now, and while I lost some frames not as much as I thought. I think 1080p/60fps gaming can be a reality when I get my q9550. :D

I love this screen. Everything looks so good.

Well looks like I can easily get 3.25Ghz out of this x4 260 chip but, I don't like watching my load temps going up and beyond 65C range.

I need a good fan that provides good cooling, low noise, and doesn't take up much more space than the stock cooler and I don't want to spend over $35. I've been looking at some low profile fans like this one Scythe Big Shuriken

Hey NeoGaf,

I am seriously considering getting the Sony Laptop that Best buy has on sale for $480 as its comes with a blu-ray player, headphones and a movie.

My only question is as being able to quasi use it as a portable blu-ray player is very attractive to me, however. How well do integrated graphics play blu-rays?

It has the intel GMA 4500MHD and can use up to 1.8gb of ram.

Mrbob

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Well looks like I can easily get 3.25Ghz out of this x4 260 chip but, I don't like watching my load temps going up and beyond 65C range.

I need a good fan that provides good cooling, low noise, and doesn't take up much more space than the stock cooler and I don't want to spend over $35. I've been looking at some low profile fans like this one Scythe Big Shuriken

What about the Arctic Freezer 64?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125&Tpk=arctic freezer 64

Heard great things about it.

Looking at your chip you might need this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=arctic_freezer_7-_-35-186-134-_-Product

I use an Arctic freezer 7 for my intel chip, works great for a budget cooler.

Mrbob said:
What about the Arctic Freezer 64?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125&Tpk=arctic freezer 64

Heard great things about it.

Looking at your chip you might need this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=arctic_freezer_7-_-35-186-134-_-Product

I use an Arctic freezer 7 for my intel chip, works great for a budget cooler.

I just had someone else mention the Arctic Freezer 64. It should fit my case but, I'll do some measurements just to be sure.

and congrats on your new display.

ACH1LL3US

HI, does anyone know if the following games will be able to be run at a constant 60 fps with 4 x msaa and 16 AF with max settings at 1680x 1050??

PC GAMES
SF4
DIRT 2
NFS SHIFT
NFS Most Wanted
COD4
COD MW 2
Left For Dead 2
Star Wars Sith Edition

PC Specs

System:
CPU: i7 965 Extreme
Motherboard: EVGA X58 CLASSIFIED 3 WAY SLI
RAM: 6GB of Corsair Dominator Ram
Video Card: 1 EVGA GTX 295

I don't have the system complete yet so just trying to see if I am setting myself up for disappointment with these goals, thanks!

Wallach

Blackvette94 said:
HI, does anyone know if the following games will be able to be run at a constant 60 fps with 4 x msaa and 16 AF with max settings at 1680x 1050??

PC GAMES
SF4
DIRT 2
NFS SHIFT
NFS Most Wanted
COD4
COD MW 2
Left For Dead 2
Star Wars Sith Edition

PC Specs

System:

I don't have the system complete yet so just trying to see if I am setting myself up for disappointment with these goals, thanks!

I don't know about... "constant" 60 FPS as in you will never see slowdown at any point, but yeah for the most part you should pretty much destroy those games.

Mrbob

Unless the game is horribly optimized your setup should plow through games like nothing.

Would at 1080P too.

Thanks Midgar. Now I just need my CPU. Dual Core and Dragon Age at 1080P with everything set to high are not a good mix. :lol Well at least my current one which can only get to 2.88ghz and 1mb cache.

Mrbob said:
Unless the game is horribly optimized your setup should plow through games like nothing.

Would at 1080P too.

Thanks Midgar. Now I just need my CPU. Dual Core and Dragon Age at 1080P with everything set to high are not a good mix. :lol Well at least my current one which can only get to 2.88ghz and 1mb cache.

Just so you know, with my AthlonIIx2-240 & ATI 4770 at stock speeds I was running Dragon Age Origins at 1680x1050 8x FSAA with max settings with no problems what-so-ever. I'm sure I could have ran it at full 1080p too. I am running a 64 bit OS though, not sure if that helped out or not.

I ordered the Arctic Cooler 64 and based on the experiments I've done with my stock cooler I should get my X4 from 2.6 to 3.25 easily.

Also, I've been reading that you get a huge performance boost in PCSX2 by running the game as an ISO instead of using the actual CD/DVD. I just might be able to play FFXII on this thing.

tyagi

I'm looking for recommendations for a 24" monitor please :)

It is for 80% gaming, 20% general purpose (including programming)

I currently have a Samsung 226BW TN panel which is absolutely great, but is being given to my wife's PC. I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade. I'm always sitting at a desk, so TN is not an issue for me.

The biggest question I have is whether to go 1900x1200 or 1900x1080. I would like the 19x12, but am wondering whether we'll see more games going 1080p due to this being the standard for consoles? Also, 19x12 panels appear to be disappearing quickly, so I don't want to get left with something of an odd resolution in a year or two.

I am considering the Samsung 2443BW+ at the moment for a 19x12 monitor. Are there others that are better around that price? LG and Benq seem to get recommendations, as do Asus.

If I go for a 1080p monitor, there's more choice and I can get one of these newfangled LED backlit things, like:

- Dell G2410
- Samsung XL2370

Thoughts? Mainly on the 1900x1200 vs 1900x1080 question.

tyagi said:
I'm looking for recommendations for a 24" monitor please :)

It is for 80% gaming, 20% general purpose (including programming)

I currently have a Samsung 226BW TN panel which is absolutely great, but is being given to my wife's PC. I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade. I'm always sitting at a desk, so TN is not an issue for me.

The biggest question I have is whether to go 1900x1200 or 1900x1080. I would like the 19x12, but am wondering whether we'll see more games going 1080p due to this being the standard for consoles? Also, 19x12 panels appear to be disappearing quickly, so I don't want to get left with something of an odd resolution in a year or two.

I am considering the Samsung 2443BW+ at the moment for a 19x12 monitor. Are there others that are better around that price? LG and Benq seem to get recommendations, as do Asus.

If I go for a 1080p monitor, there's more choice and I can get one of these newfangled LED backlit things, like:

- Dell G2410
- Samsung XL2370

Thoughts? Mainly on the 1900x1200 vs 1900x1080 question.

I prefer 16:10. Games won't stop supporting that aspect ratio as its trivial to offer it. By the same token 16:10 monitors are expensive due to their rarity and at 24" the vertical space probably becomes a non issue.

Having seen the latest iMacs with monster 27" displays if you want to go balls to the wall you could go with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005127&cm_re=27"_monitor-_-24-005-127-_-Product

Read reviews to get an ideas about any problems but seeing as the Samsung is already $380 and you are willing to spend that much why not go all out with a fucking monster?!

Sipowicz

Banned
brain_stew said:
You really shouldn't be building a rig with DDR2 RAM these days. AM3 w/ DDR3 is the lowest you should be aiming for.

fuck that man, i've got no money

i've already got a 4770 and i'm getting an ADM triple core and a DDR2 motherboard

will there be that much of a performance difference between 800MHZ and 1066MHZ RAM?

Blackvette94 said:

PC GAMES
SF4
DIRT 2
NFS SHIFT
NFS Most Wanted
COD4
COD MW 2
Left For Dead 2
Star Wars Sith Edition

PC Specs

System:

Have you actually ordered the parts yet? If you haven't then, I seriously recommend some better value parts, you're buying some seriously overpriced parts their.

Sipowicz said:
fuck that man, i've got no money

i've already got a 4770 and i'm getting an ADM triple core and a DDR2 motherboard

will there be that much of a performance difference between 800MHZ and 1066MHZ RAM?

There's close to no price difference between a DDR2 and DDR3 setup these days, yet by going the DDR3 route you have the option of upgrading to AMD's next genereation Bulldozer architecture for cheap. It'll save you in the long run, not worth passing up for the sake of $30 or so. If it means getting a processor one clock speed tier down to bring it within budget, then just do that an OC to make up the difference.

Mrbob

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Just so you know, with my AthlonIIx2-240 & ATI 4770 at stock speeds I was running Dragon Age Origins at 1680x1050 8x FSAA with max settings with no problems what-so-ever. I'm sure I could have ran it at full 1080p too. I am running a 64 bit OS though, not sure if that helped out or not.

I ordered the Arctic Cooler 64 and based on the experiments I've done with my stock cooler I should get my X4 from 2.6 to 3.25 easily.

Also, I've been reading that you get a huge performance boost in PCSX2 by running the game as an ISO instead of using the actual CD/DVD. I just might be able to play FFXII on this thing.

Yeah it is partially my own OCD for higher frame rates. Most of the time the game is over 40 to 50 fps with these settings, but in occassions it dips to the low 20s and high teens and I just don't want to see these kind of dips. My CPU was nice for what it is at my old 1440 X 900 resolution, but now at 1080P I need a little more juice. Soon I'll have it! Shame I didn't buy my 9550 in September when they were going for around 210 to 220, but oh well. Didn't pay that much more fortunately, used some bing cashback and newegg card deals to knock down my 9550 purchase to about 230.

Gotta thank Brain Stew for pushing me in the quad direction. I was gonna go dual but he is definitely right....at this point it isn't really worth it to stick significant money in a dual core chip.

One thing I like about this thread is the good advice in it. Most of the time recommendations are for what people are asking for, not what others think they should have. For example I was checking out other forums about the 9400 or9550 and it is funny to see some canned responses. Telling them to get an i5 instead, completely ignoring the fact that you need to buy a new motherboard and ram to go to this cpu. The 775 is a dieing chipset, but you stick a fast quad core in it and do some overclocking you can easily last a couple years with performance similar to the i5 without having to rebuy everything. By that time Intel might have officially decided on one socket, instead of branching off into two paths.

birdchili

how much of a real world performance hit would i take between a wd caviar green and black hard drives for things like booting up and game load times? the silent operation and low temps are relevant to me as this will be the only drive in a system that will be serving music and video in addition to playing games.

common wisdom seems to suggest that using a green for a boot drive isn't the best idea, but i've heard everthing from 10% difference in speed, to 40. a 10% speed hit isn't going to annoy me, but 40 sounds like quite a bit... if games that are suppose to stream start stuttering it'll drive me a bit nuts.

is read speed or seek time more relevant to gaming, generally?

Sipowicz

Banned
brain_stew said:
There's close to no price difference between a DDR2 and DDR3 setup these days, yet by going the DDR3 route you have the option of upgrading to AMD's next genereation Bulldozer architecture for cheap. It'll save you in the long run, not worth passing up for the sake of $30 or so. If it means getting a processor one clock speed tier down to bring it within budget, then just do that an OC to make up the difference.

hmm..

afaik the DDR3 motherboards are about 150 quid, although the prices of the ram seem ot be about the same. from what you're saying it would take the same AMD processors and work fine

at the same time though, paying 4 times as much for a motherboard is way too much.

birdchili said:
how much of a real world performance hit would i take between a wd caviar green and black hard drives for things like booting up and game load times? the silent operation and low temps are relevant to me as this will be the only drive in a system that will be serving music and video in addition to playing games.

common wisdom seems to suggest that using a green for a boot drive isn't the best idea, but i've heard everthing from 10% difference in speed, to 40. a 10% speed hit isn't going to annoy me, but 40 sounds like quite a bit... if games that are suppose to stream start stuttering it'll drive me a bit nuts.

is read speed or seek time more relevant to gaming, generally?

The HDD is the single biggest bottlenck in a modern system, so yes you absolutely should not be using a media drive as your primary HDD. I'd recommend a Samsung F3 1TB, super cheap, super fast, and if the 3 Samsung F1s I've used are any indication then not particularly noisy either.

Sipowicz said:
hmm..

afaik the DDR3 motherboards are about 150 quid, although the prices of the ram seem ot be about the same. from what you're saying it would take the same AMD processors and work fine

at the same time though, paying 4 times as much for a motherboard is way too much.

Yeah.........no. £10 or £20 premium at most, if that.

Edit:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/165438

£47, there you go, now quit your yapping!! :lol

You'd have to be out of your mind to go the DDR2 route at this point, it literally makes no sense at all.

ACE 1991

Hey Brain Stew, do you have any comment on the gaming capabilities of the laptop I linked farther up this page? I'm trying to figure out what to expect for this rig. (Hint: Not a whole lot)

Top Bottom