• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Dash said:
Yeah it's a great card. It still can't really play Crysis on enthusiast at 1650x1080 at a decent frame rate though :(.

Using a custom config you can get pretty close.

nilbog21 said:
hm.. i have an 8800GTS and i run crysis 1650x1080 at constant 30-40fps o_O

At high sure, definitely not very high.

thuway

This might be a n00b question but as far as bells and whistles are concerned what is the hierarchy of perceived visual impact? Resolution? AA? AF? etc.

thuway said:
This might be a n00b question but as far as bells and whistles are concerned what is the hierarchy of perceived visual impact? Resolution? AA? AF? etc.

Completely down to user choice. Its AF, resolution, AA for me, but I know most would probably put AA first.

Minsc

Gold Member
thuway said:

Depends on the game too. Sometimes a simple thing like the glow of the gunfire in the DX11 from STALKER is what you notice the most when it's gone.

AA galore gives games a CG look, which is quite nice. AF is a big one, keeps things from looking like a blurry mess in the distance.

Resolution isn't super important once you're over 720p, besides, you should only be gaming at the native resolution of your display if you're after image quality.

I feel turning texture resolution and lighting effects to max along with the other in game settings (model detail, shadows, draw distance etc) have a bigger visual impact than AA/AF/resolution. I can't play a game until I go through the option screens and fiddle with everything.

Shambles

SuperEnemyCrab said:
That wireless card is meant for a laptop, not sure if it will work with that mobo. Do PCI Express Mini Cards work in regular PCI-Express slots?

With 52 pins it doesn't look like it will work in a normal PCI-E slot.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
That wireless card is meant for a laptop, not sure if it will work with that mobo. Do PCI Express Mini Cards work in regular PCI-Express slots?
I believe you are correct. Guess that shows how much my 99% certainty is worth :lol . How about this then? And would it work with x64 W7, on the product page it only says 'Certified for Windows Vista'.

Just got a new pc and my system scores are:

systemscores.jpg

x3sphere

My Intel X25-M gives me 7.7 on the HDD score. Graphics gets a 6.0 though and I have an HD5970 :p The WEI test doesn't like Crossfire apparently.

darkpaladinmfc said:
In terms of speed are they the same? Would there even be a difference between 56Mbps and 300Mbps (I assume no because my ISP provides only 16Mbps, but I don't really know much)?

Not for internet based stuff, no. The second card will be faster for local transfers if your router supports wireless n and your other PC is using a similarly fast network connection.

kmfdmpig

x3sphere said:
My Intel X25-M gives me 7.7 on the HDD score. Graphics gets a 6.0 though and I have an HD5970 :p The WEI test doesn't like Crossfire apparently.

Your graphics score is a good sign that these scores don't ultimately mean all that much.

I have an X25-M, but only get 7.3. I'd guess you must have a 160GB one as that's a fair amount faster.

Annihilator said:
Just got a new pc and my system scores are:

I like that this windows benchmark is telling us that your core i7 is on par with my $80 CPU. :D (you scored 0.1 higher in ram though, curses you and you triple-channel memory!)

TouchMyBox said:
I like that this windows benchmark is telling us that your core i7 is on par with my $80 CPU. :D (you scored 0.1 higher in ram though, curses you and you triple-channel memory!)

Yea it's just a fun measuring tool. My i7 is even overclocked to 3.2 and I doubt it can figure that into the benchmark.

Annihilator said:
Yea it's just a fun measuring tool. My i7 is even overclocked to 3.2 and I doubt it can figure that into the benchmark.

I saw a difference between my unlocked x3 435 @ 2.9GHz and at 3.4GHz. That seems to be just a pure number crunching test which a higher clock speed would help with.

On another note, my 5770 and Agility SSD should arrive tomorrow, making this machine complete and allowing me to put my 5870 back in my main machine.

TaKeRx

OK, so guys any recommendation of a build with a budget of $1000-$1200? It's mainly for gaming and I would need everything but a monitor.

Noticed another little problem today. For some reason, my front audio output is reversed(The left and right sounds are reversed.) It works fine when I plug my headphones into the audio out that is in the back of my case on the MoBo, but when I use the audio output that is on top of my case, it's reversed. What can I do to fix it?

I have a ASUS EVO AMD 790X MoBo, and I have the HD audio plugged in to the MoBo. I couldn't have plugged it in backwards because the way the pins are set up, there's only one way to plug them in. They're set up like so:

ooo o
ooooo

Something like that where the top row of pins has one less pin, so I'm not even able to plug it in upside down.

TaKeRx

this is what I have so far and the only thing missing is the motherboard, any cheap recommendations? or any changes to this build?

buildkv.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
It seems the 5850 and 5870 are once again plentiful (huge chart of price comparisons), supply has caught up to demand. Even newegg is stocked up.

It's probably more to due with the retailers greed than demand I think, they are still selling these cards at over a 20% markup from MSRP. I guess blame nVidia for not having a competing product to drive prices back down.

Well, hopefully it will only take a few weeks of surplus inventory for retailers to start inching the prices back to where they started.

Minsc said:
It seems the 5850 and 5870 are once again plentiful (huge chart of price comparisons), supply has caught up to demand. Even newegg is stocked up.

It's probably more to due with the retailers greed than demand I think, they are still selling these cards at over a 20% markup from MSRP. I guess blame nVidia for not having a competing product to drive prices back down.

Well, hopefully it will only take a few weeks of surplus inventory for retailers to start inching the prices back to where they started.
Stock levels are still low in the UK, hopefully they'll be go up soon as well.

Not to get off the current subject of the windows 7 experience index but, I found a nice alternative to FRAPS for those with ATI hardware.

It's called ATI Tray Tools and it uses a very small amount of system resources.

Here is my score.

Capture.png

The sniping tool rules.

Minsc

Gold Member
MidgarBlowedUp said:
The sniping tool rules.

It's a nice tool but it's no cropper.

That thing is the perfect version of Window's 7 snipping tool, you can position it and reuse it, there's no need to go through a separate step to save your file after you capture, and there's plugins to automatically send the captures to different places.

All extra stuff is generally overkill, but even still, it's a nicer program.

JRW

Dash said:
I like how it gives your processor a 0.2 higher score than the i5 750 at the same speed. I highly doubt whatever test its using to calculate the score is using the i7's hyperthreading, but you never know.

I doubt its faking the numbers based on cpu type. Must be something else going on. (Maybe hyperthreading).

Milpool

n6zis.jpg

CPU @ 4000 jiggertits, scores 7.2 stock.

Has anyone with an asus mobo used the feature to turn your power button into an instant overclock button, it it any good?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
SundaySounds said:
Noticed another little problem today. For some reason, my front audio output is reversed(The left and right sounds are reversed.) It works fine when I plug my headphones into the audio out that is in the back of my case on the MoBo, but when I use the audio output that is on top of my case, it's reversed. What can I do to fix it?

I have a ASUS EVO AMD 790X MoBo, and I have the HD audio plugged in to the MoBo. I couldn't have plugged it in backwards because the way the pins are set up, there's only one way to plug them in. They're set up like so:

ooo o
ooooo

Something like that where the top row of pins has one less pin, so I'm not even able to plug it in upside down.

That's an odd one. It sounds like the plug is wired wrong. You could cut, splice and solder. Meh, just put your headphones on backwards.

chuckddd said:
That's an odd one. It sounds like the plug is wired wrong. You could cut, splice and solder. Meh, just put your headphones on backwards.

I was hoping I could just go through the control panel and reverse them... does anyone know how? (Running windows 7)

Minsc said:
It's a nice tool but it's no cropper.

That thing is the perfect version of Window's 7 snipping tool, you can position it and reuse it, there's no need to go through a separate step to save your file after you capture, and there's plugins to automatically send the captures to different places.

All extra stuff is generally overkill, but even still, it's a nicer program.

very nice, can't wait to try out the gif plugin

rossonero

The retailers here in Sweden are getting more and more 5850:s so it's soon time for a new computer :D I still haven't decided if I'll go with the AMD or Intel but I'll probably go with Intel, it just seems better in any way, except the socket is less future proof, and it's only something like $55 more expensive. And $55 isn't that much it you're buying a $1000 computer anyway.

Firestorm

Spy said:
Isn't it about time for the 2010 thread? Who's going to make it? I noticed OP is banned.
brain_stew seems to be the obvious candidate after the other topic.

Whoever makes it, can you PM me beforehand so I can get the post directly after the last post in the thread and update it with the weekly / bi-weekly / monthly / whenifeellikeupdating Canadian builds?

Lkr

something is causing bsod mem dumps and random application crashes on my rig. i've ran memtest x86+ for 3 passes and it is fine. the CPU is at stock. should I still test it? how should i test graphics card? i've never had a game crash on me yet, just windows, firefox(constantly), and pidgin.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Lkr said:
something is causing bsod mem dumps and random application crashes on my rig. i've ran memtest x86+ for 3 passes and it is fine. the CPU is at stock. should I still test it? how should i test graphics card? i've never had a game crash on me yet, just windows, firefox(constantly), and pidgin.
Random crashes are usually bad memory sectors or overheating. Could it be?

Firestorm said:
brain_stew seems to be the obvious candidate after the other topic.

With over 1100 posts in this thread, nearly double the next poster, I would agree. Someone who can avoid banning and keep the OP updated would also be nice. :D

Lkr

ReyBrujo said:
Random crashes are usually bad memory sectors or overheating. Could it be?
memtest didn't have any issues, and my CPU gets up to 46C on full load
GPU gets near 60C depending on the game
dunno the ram speeds

Lkr said:
memtest didn't have any issues, and my CPU gets up to 46C on full load
GPU gets near 60C depending on the game
dunno the ram speeds

Check event viewer since you mentioned it happening with specific applications. Also might be a driver conflict, or possibly a power supply issue...

Lkr

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Check event viewer since you mentioned it happening with specific applications. Also might be a driver conflict, or possibly a power supply issue...
I have so many errors in the event viewer, and I don't know what any of them mean unfortunately

Top Bottom