• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

pestul

performanceindex.jpg

I have the cpu at 4.05GHz with speed stepping.

zbarron

My i7 920 is clocked at 3.9Ghz and it got a 7.6. I wonder what it takes to get a 7.9. It's the fastest CPU around and it has a nice overclock. You only got a 7.7. You literally cannot get a faster CPU without major overclocking.

JRW

pestul said:
performanceindex.jpg

I have the cpu at 4.05GHz with speed stepping.

Geez 4.05ghz and still 7.7? My i7 920 is at stock speed and scores a 7.5 so figured 4ghz should be 7.9'ish lol.. Oh well who knows how windows actually comes up with these scores.

Aesius

x3eheg.jpg

Does this score look normal for:
AMD II X2 Phenom 550
ATI Radeon 4850
2 GB Crucial PC6400

The memory performance score seems awfully low. Here's what it looks like in CPU-Z
2zyvho2.jpg

Anything look out of place?

Aesius said:
AMD II X2 Phenom 550
ATI Radeon 4850
2 GB Crucial PC6400

The memory performance score seems awfully low. Here's what it looks like in CPU-Z

Those timing are a bit higher than most DDR2 sticks I see, make sure they're set at what the manufacturer claims for the modules. Other than that, it's pretty much in-line with what you should be getting.

Why are we using the windows benchmark again?

Rufus said:
It' not the speed of the RAM (which is largely irrelevant), but the amount. Another 2GB and you'd be on the safe side.

While not very noticeable in games, timings and clock speed do account for a lot in benchmarks. But yes, having 4GB these days is definitely sound advice especially when using vista/7.

cryptic

I just bought an asus m4a79 deluxe and am wondering if I can get a phenom 965 at 125w on that without updating the bios (only have a ps3 for online right now) or if I'll need a mounting kit.Thanks.

Aesius said:
x3eheg.jpg

AMD II X2 Phenom 550
ATI Radeon 4850
2 GB Crucial PC6400

2zyvho2.jpg

Timings are a little loose and 2GB really isn't very much these days.

Schrade

SundaySounds said:
So, my 260 came with a hdcp cable... What do I do with it?
154bnsp.png
HDCP is not a cable. HDCP is a protection scheme to encrypt digital data over digital connections. (HDMI/DVI)

Your drivers are just telling you the connection between your video card and monitor is HDCP capable and therefore you can display encrypted movies to your monitor. For example, now software Blu-ray players running on your computer will be able to output to your monitor.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Lkr said:
I have so many errors in the event viewer, and I don't know what any of them mean unfortunately
Clear the list, and try again. I think you can export the list into a file, for someone else to check. Overheating usually provokes BSOD or computer resets. Drivers can be too, although they are harder to track.

Schrade said:
HDCP is not a cable. HDCP is a protection scheme to encrypt digital data over digital connections. (HDMI/DVI)

Your drivers are just telling you the connection between your video card and monitor is HDCP capable and therefore you can display encrypted movies to your monitor. For example, now software Blu-ray players running on your computer will be able to output to your monitor.

Oh, yeah. Apparently the cable in question is a SPDIF audio cable. Still don't know what to do with it.

SundaySounds said:
Oh, yeah. Apparently the cable in question is a SPDIF audio cable. Still don't know what to do with it.

You use it to connect your soundcard to your videocard so that you can do passthrough audio should you use an hdmi cable. You don't need it unless you're planning on using the computer with a TV or receiver for a sound system.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm torn between the geforce GTX 275 and the new 5850 for the new PC i'm going build soon. However the problem is, is there's a $109 price difference, however from the benchmarks, there doesn't seem to be a huge performance increase for the 5850 over the geforce gtx 275 to justify the cost. But DX11 support + free dirt 2 game is very tempting.>_<

Wallach

Lafiel said:
I'm torn between the geforce GTX 275 and the new 5850 for the new PC i'm going build soon. However the problem is, is there's a $109 price difference, however from the benchmarks, there doesn't seem to be a huge performance increase for the 5850 over the geforce gtx 275 to justify the cost. But DX11 support + free dirt 2 game is very tempting.>_<

Can you wait a while longer? The 5850 is well above MSRP right now because there's not enough stock to meet demand. I imagine after the new year it will settle back down.

Lafiel said:

There definitely is a noticeable increase in performance and as games are optimised for DX11 it'll only increase over time.

wipeout364

Is windows 7 OK for gaming? Just got an upgrade disc and I was wondering if I should go ahead. are there many compatibility problems with older games?

Minsc

Gold Member
wipeout364 said:
Is windows 7 OK for gaming? Just got an upgrade disc and I was wondering if I should go ahead. are there many compatibility problems with older games?

Pretty much none. It will run 99%+ of your games, most likely.

Minsc

Gold Member
evil solrac v3.0 said:
whats the best mouse and keyboard for games right now? money is almost not an issue..... i don't wanna go crazy but i won't cheap out either....

Logitech makes the best mice, my favorite mouse ever is the G5 (which is retired and no longer the newest model now), but the G500 looks damned nice too.

I really like my keyboard now, Microsoft's SideWinder X6 Keyboard, it's got infinitely adjustable volume and great backlit keys (which are also infinitely adjustable). The calculator button and macro keys and swappable numpad are nice as well.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
whats the best mouse and keyboard for games right now? money is almost not an issue..... i don't wanna go crazy but i won't cheap out either....

Do you want wireless or wired? Wired devices will be more accurate and responsive.... but they have wires.

As for keyboards, I have a Saitek Eclipse II, and I really like it. keyboards with light up keys are a must, imo.

Decado

Is around now a good time to pick up a new video card or is there a new one right around the corner that I should wait for?

Also, what video cards are the best value for money these days?

Thanks

SundaySounds said:
Do you want wireless or wired? Wired devices will be more accurate and responsive.... but they have wires.

As for keyboards, I have a Saitek Eclipse II, and I really like it. keyboards with light up keys are a must, imo.

i would prefer wired, but if anyone can recommend a responsive wireless... although i do have the saitek Eclipse II it feels a bit small for me.

Decado said:
Is around now a good time to pick up a new video card or is there a new one right around the corner that I should wait for?

Also, what video cards are the best value for money these days?

Thanks

Wallach said:
Can you wait a while longer? The 5850 is well above MSRP right now because there's not enough stock to meet demand. I imagine after the new year it will settle back down.

This is pretty accurate for most high end video cards today.

Decado

brain_stew said:
There definitely is a noticeable increase in performance and as games are optimised for DX11 it'll only increase over time.
Will many games support it, let alone be optimised for it? It seems like most games are still running of DX9, consoles don't support it and most companies don't seem keen on spending more money on the PC version...

Minsc

Gold Member
evil solrac v3.0 said:
i would prefer wired, but if anyone can recommend a responsive wireless... although i do have the saitek Eclipse II it feels a bit small for me.

The Microsoft SideWinder X8 Mouse has no perceivable lag, and becomes a wired mouse when you charge it (so no down time) or if you feel like it I guess. It is rather large, which may normally be a negative, but it sounds not so in your case.

Minsc

Gold Member
Decado said:
Will many games support it, let alone be optimised for it? It seems like most games are still running of DX9, consoles don't support it and most companies don't seem keen on spending more money on the PC version...

I think it will get a fair amount of support in 2010. So far what's announced/out is:

Aliens versus Predator
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
BattleForge
Dirt 2
Dungeons and Dragons Online
Lord of the Rings Online
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat

Not a whole lot, but I expect 2010 to announce a few dozen more games w/ DX11 support.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
brain_stew said:
Good point, but i'll think i'll be going with the geforce gtx 275 (reading wallach post). As by the time i really need a DX11 card, i'll probably be able to get one that is better and cheaper then the 5850 right now. And while it may seem like a waste to upgrade from a geforce gtx 275 like say early-mid next year. It won't be, in my case. As i'll have a another PC to pass it along too.

I think it will get a fair amount of support in 2010. So far what's announced/out is:

Aliens versus Predator
BattleForge
Dirt 2
Lord of the Rings Online

Not a whole lot, but I expect 2010 to announce a few dozen more games w/ DX11 support.
Crysis 2 will also support DX11, but i'm not so sure if that's coming out in 2010.

JRW

SundaySounds said:

lol my PC is current but I use an IBM keyboard, I found it in a friends garage while helping him clean and fell in love ..Its an old school 20lb. keyboard with clicky keys.

Been using it for 2 years :lol

IBM_Clicky.jpg

Decado

Minsc said:

Aliens versus Predator
BattleForge
Dirt 2
Lord of the Rings Online

I see one or two games I may play among those. I guess the other issue is whether the DX11 features are the highest end. As in, regardless of your card, you'd need the best of everything else in order to actual enable them. If they're resource hogs then it doesn't reallly matter (I'll OC my CPU, but it still won't be anything special).

JRW

wipeout364 said:

Win 7 is great if you have decent hardware. I recently moved from WinXP 32bit to Win 7 Ultimate 64bit and haven't had any issues.

rossonero

Wallach said:

What is the MSRP for 5850s? Here in Sweden thet shops are usually taking the US price times 10 so the 5850s started at 2500 Skr and a couple of weeks they've been now they are 3000 Skr, but now they are falling back to 2500 Skr as supply increases. I just want to know if the MSRP is even lower than $250, in that case I can wait until middle of January or maybe even February.

Wallach

rossonero said:
What is the MSRP for 5850s? Here in Sweden thet shops are usually taking the US price times 10 so the 5850s started at 2500 Skr and a couple of weeks they've been now they are 3000 Skr, but now they are falling back to 2500 Skr as supply increases. I just want to know if the MSRP is even lower than $250, in that case I can wait until middle of January or maybe even February.

I believe the MSRP here is $259.99.

Decado said:

Simply "supporting" DX11 should be enough for some performance improvements on the currect hardware, especially for AA and post effects like SSAO.

Caj814 said:
So is it worth investing in a dual graphics card setup?Is there any real advantages outside of the visuals?

A whole host of disadvantages.Only situation I'd really recommend it for is if you plan to use 3D Vision, otherwise a 5870 should be more than enough for your needs and doesn't come with the headaches.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Hi Dudes,

I just ordered this:

Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz 4800MT/s S1156 95W 8MB BOX
ASUS P7P55D-E PRO P55 S1156 ATX
1024MB Sapphire Radeon HD5770 Vapor-X GDDR5 Lite Retail PCIe
ATX Midi Antec Three Hundred Midi Tower
ATX CoolerMaster Silent Pro M 500W ATX 2.3
2x2048MB Kit Exceleram PC3-12800 1600Mhz CL8
LG GH22NS50 SATA
1000GB Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 32MB 7200 U/min S

Did I do good?

Irulan

Neo Member
Combichristoffersen said:
My vote goes to brain_stew.

And since we're apparently posting our results from the Windows benchmark:
Utennavn.jpg

Did you overclock your GPU a lot? I'm getting this score.

The RAM is DDR3-1600, HD5850 graphics and the disk is a velociraptor (it's only showing the windows partition).

elostyle said:
Hi Dudes,

I just ordered this:

Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz 4800MT/s S1156 95W 8MB BOX
ASUS P7P55D-E PRO P55 S1156 ATX
1024MB Sapphire Radeon HD5770 Vapor-X GDDR5 Lite Retail PCIe
ATX Midi Antec Three Hundred Midi Tower
ATX CoolerMaster Silent Pro M 500W ATX 2.3
2x2048MB Kit Exceleram PC3-12800 1600Mhz CL8
LG GH22NS50 SATA
1000GB Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 32MB 7200 U/min S

Did I do good?

Looks good to me! Never heard of that brand of RAM but the rest is solid.

Why are people using the windows measurement? It's the most retarded scale on earth, surely you should be using some kind of benchmarking tool like Furmark, Unengine hell even Call of Pripyat.

TaKeRx said:
OK, so guys any recommendation of a build with a budget of $1000-$1200? It's mainly for gaming and I would need everything but a monitor.

Just noticed no-one replied to this so here's my recommendation. Firstly, do you want to over clock your CPU? The main sticking point is an AMD or Intel processor. I'm biased towards AMD's because the 1156 architecture is entirely unclear whilst AM3 is here to stay. As a rule though you never build for upgradability, just what works here and now, so here it is.

CPU - Intel i5 750 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215&cm_re=i5_750-_-19-115-215-_-Product - $200

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=1156_motherboard-_-13-128-412-_-Product - $135

RAM - G.Skill 4GB DDR3 12800 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=ddr3_dual_channel_4gb-_-20-231-193-_-Product - $96

Case - Coolermaster 690 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...137&cm_re=coolermaster-_-11-119-137-_-Product - $70

PSU - Corsair VX550 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9004&cm_re=corsair_psu-_-17-139-004-_-Product - $86

HDD - Western Digital 1TB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=western_digital_1tb-_-22-136-284-_-Product - $100

DVD - Sony Optiarc Black 24X - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=dvd_burnter_internal-_-27-118-030-_-Product - $32

GPU - Sapphire 5850 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4102857&cm_re=ati_5850-_-14-102-857-_-Product - $310

OR

GPU - XFX 5770 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447&cm_re=5770-_-14-150-447-_-Product - $180

Total Cost: $1029 or $899

And thats about as much as i'd spend on a computer. All the best parts money can buy, as good performance as you are going to get without going into sloppy and annoying dual GPU setups. If your monitor has a resolution of 1680x1050 or less I would consider downgrading the GPU to a 5770 and save $130, as that GPU is really only going to get a workout at full HD resolutions and above. The 5850 is a huge bastard and i've read it fits into that case but you might want to read into it.

birdchili

i'm definitely having some issues with windows 7 64-bit. logitech's software doesn't work with my 3-year old mouse anymore (giving me one useless button and far less customizations in general), and drivers for my ps2->usb converter seem to map the d-pad in a non-standard way, so stuff that used to "just work" doesn't anymore.

Top Bottom