• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

ao9eug.png

Since we're all posting specs

JRW

Ugh Win 7 64bit is not CRT friendly, Would anyone happen to be using this combo and know how I can change the refresh rates? I can create any resolution I want in Nvidia control panel but the refresh rate always stays at 85hz, even if I try to create a custom resolution with 60hz specified. (85hz is the only available option in the pulldown menu).

Im ok with 85hz for desktop / web browsing etc but when gaming im used to running 60hz w/ Vsync (smoother framerates this way vs. using 85hz Vsync).

I have a feeling I might be screwed here because If I try to load any of the monitor .INF files I was using in WinXP it tells me they're not compatible with 64bit.

crt_win7.JPG

(The Generic PNP listed is my Plasma / secondary monitor).

JRW

brain_stew said:
Surely you should be doing all your setup through the Nvidia control panel? Why are you messing with the Windows setting at all?

Yea im doing all setup through nvidia control panel, Its just that its stuck at 85hz depending on resolution, basically its only allowing one predetermined refresh per res.

When im in the windows part of it (screenshot above) I can normally select multiple refresh rates from the pulldown menu... but it only shows 85hz as well.

JRW said:
Yea im doing all setup through nvidia control panel, Its just that its stuck at 85hz depending on resolution, basically its only allowing one predetermined refresh per res.

When im in the windows part of it (screenshot above) I can normally select multiple refresh rates from the pulldown menu... but it only shows 85hz as well.

Try downloading the latest Forceware betas, they seem to have given me more flexability with managing refresh rates and might just sort out your problem. I assume you've tried creating new custom resolutions, right?

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

JRW

brain_stew said:
Try downloading the latest Forceware betas, they seem to have given me more flexability with managing refresh rates and might just sort out your problem. I assume you've tried creating new custom resolutions, right?

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Yep Ive tried making custom resolutions, I can specify 60hz but when I click Test it goes back to 85hz, Ill give these beta drivers a go, Thanks.

JRW said:
Yep Ive tried making custom resolutions, I can specify 60hz but when I click Test it goes back to 85hz, Ill give these beta drivers a go, Thanks.

Check further down (or up) your list of resolutions, as sometimes the custom resolutions are hidden away a little, at least mine were. I'm pretty sure I had to apply a new resolution (and maybe even exit the control panel) before they showed up. No, it doesn't make any sense why that would happen, but these things rarely do.

Firestorm

I have no idea if this is because I'm running a hackintosh or not, but in case it isn't...

My computer does not boot in my native resolution. My monitor is 1920x1080 but the bootup graphics and stuff are not. It used to be correct when I had a 1680x1050 monitor. Is there a way to fix this? I realize it's purely cosmetic, but it's really nagging away at me and I want it to be all prettyful :( My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. I use a BFG GTX 275 with an Asus VH236H monitor using DVI. It's also hooked up to an 32" Acer AT3220A TV using DVI.

Aesius

Argh, I'm in need of some serious help here.

I've been running my current rig for about 5 days now with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and it has been shitting the bed constantly.

After a normal, speedy boot time, the system slows to a fucking crawl. Opening Firefox takes 5-10 seconds, and there is even lag before characters show up in the search box. Even moving the mouse around the desktop is laggy, as the system doesn't register a double click on an icon until 2-3 seconds after it happens.

The odd thing is - when I run 3DMark 06 I get my usual full score. No slowdown whatsoever. And sometimes running 3DMark or another graphics/CPU intensive program fixes the problem. When I exit everything is speedy again (although that doesn't always work). It might just be a matter of time, as it averages about 20-30 minutes after boot before it runs normally.

I've turned off all necessary programs from loading in msconfig and Cool N Quiet is disabled. CPU is AMD Phenom 550, 2 GB RAM, ATI 4850. When the system is running fast, its super fast. But after booting its like a fucking Pentium I system. Any ideas??

Tiamatsword22 said:
I know next to nothing about monitors, so I was wondering if this one is any good.

Yeah it's a good monitor, especially for the price. I own the Acer 23inch H233Hbmid which is exactly the same for all intents and purposes, the style of stand is the only difference I can see. If you have access to Best Buy they are selling it for $140:

Acer 23inch H233Hbmid

Minsc

Gold Member
Aesius said:
Argh, I'm in need of some serious help here.

I've been running my current rig for about 5 days now with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and it has been shitting the bed constantly.

After a normal, speedy boot time, the system slows to a fucking crawl. Opening Firefox takes 5-10 seconds, and there is even lag before characters show up in the search box. Even moving the mouse around the desktop is laggy, as the system doesn't register a double click on an icon until 2-3 seconds after it happens.

The odd thing is - when I run 3DMark 06 I get my usual full score. No slowdown whatsoever. And sometimes running 3DMark or another graphics/CPU intensive program fixes the problem. When I exit everything is speedy again (although that doesn't always work). It might just be a matter of time, as it averages about 20-30 minutes after boot before it runs normally.

I've turned off all necessary programs from loading in msconfig and Cool N Quiet is disabled. CPU is AMD Phenom 550, 2 GB RAM, ATI 4850. When the system is running fast, its super fast. But after booting its like a fucking Pentium I system. Any ideas??

You don't mention it, but I assume you've checked your process list and your CPU is not being assaulted by anything in particular? No clue, but might as well get rid of the obvious.

Firestorm

Firestorm said:
I have no idea if this is because I'm running a hackintosh or not, but in case it isn't...

My computer does not boot in my native resolution. My monitor is 1920x1080 but the bootup graphics and stuff are not. It used to be correct when I had a 1680x1050 monitor. Is there a way to fix this? I realize it's purely cosmetic, but it's really nagging away at me and I want it to be all prettyful :( My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. I use a BFG GTX 275 with an Asus VH236H monitor using DVI. It's also hooked up to an 32" Acer AT3220A TV using DVI.
Ok, the above is still an issue, but here's another:

Has anyone got AHCI working with their Windows 7? If I set my drives to AHCI mode, Windows 7 won't load, but if I set it to IDE, OSX won't load. Argh x.x

Ryu1999

JRW said:

My FW900 had serious issues on Win7...until I switched to the BNC cable. EDID handling by Nvidia on Win7 is borked

Wallach

Firestorm said:
Ok, the above is still an issue, but here's another:

Has anyone got AHCI working with their Windows 7? If I set my drives to AHCI mode, Windows 7 won't load, but if I set it to IDE, OSX won't load. Argh x.x

I'm currently running my SATA HDD in AHCI on Windows 7, I had no problems with it (though it was set as such prior to performing the install).

Firestorm

Wallach said:
I'm currently running my SATA HDD in AHCI on Windows 7, I had no problems with it (though it was set as such prior to performing the install).
I think mine is working now.. What I did was plug my Snow Leopard hard drive as it was shutting down to reboot so it was there when W7 installed the drivers for everything.

I'm testing by booting into each OS and doing some things, and then restarting. I don't want it to screw up after I'm done setting it up for real x.x

JRW

Ryu1999 said:
My FW900 had serious issues on Win7...until I switched to the BNC cable. EDID handling by Nvidia on Win7 is borked

Oh damn why didnt I think of this, I have a BNC cable sitting in the closet to, Thanks.

EDIT: SUCCESS! Using the BNC cable allowed me make any custom resolution / refresh rate combo in Nvidia control panel, Thanks again :D

Firestorm

Crap. Forgot to backup Arkham Asylum before formatting x.x Gotta download it again. Also forgot my chat logs which are now lost forever =/

Snoodaard

Neo Member
I've got €750,- to spend on a gaming rig, I don't need a monitor or keyboard or anything, just the system. I have no idea what I should get though, any ideas?

Snoodaard said:
I've got €750,- to spend on a gaming rig, I don't need a monitor or keyboard or anything, just the system. I have no idea what I should get though, any ideas?

Something like:

Phenom ii X4 (925/955)
4GB DDR3 (2x2GB, and speed is fine just get a decent brand, say OCZ, G-Skill, Corsair etc.)
ATI 5770 or a 5850 if you can afford it
770 AM3 DDR3 mobo (Gigabyte, ASUS and MSI do nice boards for cheap)
Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Any SATA DVDRW
~500w PSU from a respectable brand
Case is personal preference, if you want to go for a mATX build then get a 785G motherboard instead.

Aesius

Spl1nter said:
Yay everything just arrived. Wish me good luck not to short anything out. First time pc build here I come

For peace of mind, try building it away from carpet (I usually do my builds on the kitchen table). Don't wear anything that has a lot of static buildup, and touch the power supply before you touch any of the parts.

You'll be fine though.

Spl1nter

Aesius said:
For peace of mind, try building it away from carpet (I usually do my builds on the kitchen table). Don't wear anything that has a lot of static buildup, and touch the power supply before you touch any of the parts.

You'll be fine though.

going to build it on a wood desk which is on a wood table.

I built my pc on my desk, while standing on carpet. But I put down a garbage bag so I wouldn't be gettin any static up in there. Seemed to work out pretty good.

JRW said:
Oh damn why didnt I think of this, I have a BNC cable sitting in the closet to, Thanks.

EDIT: SUCCESS! Using the BNC cable allowed me make any custom resolution / refresh rate combo in Nvidia control panel, Thanks again :D

So do you have any trouble switching monitors? (Assuming you have an HTPC)

I tried BNC's on my FW900 but, ran into trouble when I tried to switch back and forth from the FW900 to my HDMI receiver. I'm using ATI though but, if it works for Nvidia it should work for ATI.

Snoodaard

Neo Member
brain_stew said:
Something like:

Phenom ii X4 (925/955)
4GB DDR3 (2x2GB, and speed is fine just get a decent brand, say OCZ, G-Skill, Corsair etc.)
ATI 5770 or a 5850 if you can afford it
770 AM3 DDR3 mobo (Gigabyte, ASUS and MSI do nice boards for cheap)
Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Any SATA DVDRW
~500w PSU from a respectable brand
Case is personal preference, if you want to go for a mATX build then get a 785G motherboard instead.

Something like this then?

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition € 129,95
Club3D HD 5850 1GB (CGAX-58524IDP) € 220,09
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P € 69,90
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ, 1TB € 70,85
Cooler Master Silent Pro M500 € 63,61
Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/4G € 82,65
Cooler Master Elite 334 Zwart € 29,51

€666,56

Snoodaard said:
Something like this then?

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition € 129,95
Club3D HD 5850 1GB (CGAX-58524IDP) € 220,09
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P € 69,90
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ, 1TB € 70,85
Cooler Master Silent Pro M500 € 63,61
Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/4G € 82,65
Cooler Master Elite 334 Zwart € 29,51

€666,56

Yes, that looks very good. Great bang for your buck there. It'll eat up anything you throw at it with ease.

Mind linking to the etailer you're buying this from? It'd be handy to know of some respectable PC components vendors in more countries, to help others out.

Hey, has anyone ever heard of this? A core i5 750 bottlenecking a system in L4D and L4D2 at stock settings. I was really surprised, made sure turbo was enabled and sure enough it was. I think I'm gonna get my buddy to install a better heatsink so i can OC it for him, but I find the whole situation extremely surprising. We're talking about an FPS that can dip into the 20s at times.

TouchMyBox said:
Hey, has anyone ever heard of this? A core i5 750 bottlenecking a system in L4D and L4D2 at stock settings. I was really surprised, made sure turbo was enabled and sure enough it was. I think I'm gonna get my buddy to install a better heatsink so i can OC it for him, but I find the whole situation extremely surprising. We're talking about an FPS that can dip into the 20s at times.

L4D2 being CPU bound isn't unusual, but the bolded doesn't seem right. Is multi threaded rendering support enabled? Is the CPU definitely not overheating and throttling down.

brain_stew said:
L4D2 being CPU bound isn't unusual, but the bolded doesn't seem right. Is multi threaded rendering support enabled? Is the CPU definitely not overheating and throttling down.

Actually, this is a possibility now that you mention it. He was previously complaining about stuttering so I suggested to disable multi-core rendering, but only if it helped. He claimed to have enabled it again after, but maybe he didn't.

I just found it funny that we were at a lan last night and i see what should be a superior cpu choke on what my athlon II chewed up and spat out.

Snoodaard

Neo Member
brain_stew said:
Yes, that looks very good. Great bang for your buck there. It'll eat up anything you throw at it with ease.

Mind linking to the etailer you're buying this from? It'd be handy to know of some respectable PC components vendors in more countries, to help others out.

I used the tweakers.net Pricewatch and picked all the cheapest prices, but most people I know here (Holland) use Azerty or Alternate.

Thanks for the help, I might order this rig soon.

Spl1nter

So I ran into my first problem already...
I bought a cheap case and im not sure if the standoffs are already pre-installed or if it did not come with standoffs. Here are the picture of the case and the only screws of which there are enough of to use to screw down the motherboard. The case is an HEC 6C series.

2ljm35s.jpg

2rmnsza.jpg

Spl1nter said:
I bought a cheap case and im not sure if the standoffs are already pre-installed or if it did not come with standoffs. Here are the picture of the case and the only screws of which there are enough of to use to screw down the motherboard. The case is an HEC 6C series

did you check to see if the motherboard included any brass standoff screws?

Edit: Also might try checking around every nook and cranny in the case, sometimes they tape a plastic bag with the screws in weird places.

Manp

Spl1nter said:
I bought a cheap case and im not sure if the standoffs are already pre-installed or if it did not come with standoffs. Here are the picture of the case and the only screws of which there are enough of to use to screw down the motherboard. The case is an HEC 6C series.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2ljm35s.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2rmnsza.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

put the MB inside ad see if it fits. just check the if the rear connectors align with the holes properly.
yours looks like one of those cheap cases that don't need standoffs tho.

:)

Spl1nter

Manp said:
put the MB inside ad see if it fits. just check the if the rear connectors align with the holes properly.
yours looks like one of those cheap cases that don't need standoffs tho.

:)

it fit. fuck man i was worried. this is stressful yet fun yet terrifying.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
GAF, I just got Windows 7 Home Premium today and I'm trying to install the 64-bit version on a formatted HDD. I boot it from the disc and it loads files then the Windows logo "forms" and it goes to a wavy blue screen with a flower on the right. It just stops there and nothing happens. Both the 64-bit and 32-bit discs do this. Do I have to re-install XP and do it from there? That'd be a pain.

Edit: Nevermind, I came downstairs to a different computer to post this and I went back to my other computer and it's working now.

Aesius

Spl1nter said:
fuckin a. first time power on everything is a go. installing windows now.

Great feeling, isn't it?

My most recent build is probably my 7th or 8th over the years, and watching the CPU fan spinup and the motherboard light turn on is always a thrill.

Aesius said:
Great feeling, isn't it?

My most recent build is probably my 7th or 8th over the years, and watching the CPU fan spinup and the motherboard light turn on is always a thrill.
Built my first a week ago, good to know completion always feels great :D.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hey just wanted to drop in and let everyone know I've found a new favorite thermal paste. I was using Arctic Silver 5 my idle temps on a q6600 were OK averaging around 37 - 40 on idle. I picked up a tube of IC Diamond and dropped the temps to around 27 - 30 on idle a whole 10c . o.0

Anyway just thought I'd give the heads up for those who haven't tried it.

a_ic_7_thermal_compound_semi_lite_pic.jpg

Phloxy

Hey gaf, is their such thing as a vga splitter?My 360 and my pc both use vga, but having to switch them out is tiring, any such thing exist out their?

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
So this might be a really stupid question, but so far all of my plans have fallen through thus far. I was all set to buy components for a new machine but shit happened and now I don't have money to spend on it. Would it be foolish for me to buy a new PCI-e 2.0 x16 video card to put into my PCI-e 1.0 x16 MoBo? I'm pretty sure that they're compatible, but I don't know exactly what I would be missing out on if I was to use the new card in my current machine. I'm eventually going to build a new computer and I would take the PCI-e 2.0 x16 card and put it in that build, but I'm really hurting graphics wise and would love an upgrade.

Top Bottom