• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Ysiadmihi said:
Nope I'm using two. The other two RAM slots on my board are dead or else I'd have 6GB :(

You don't have to believe me, but it's even posted earlier in this thread that after I lowered my timings I started seeing a huge jump in FPS in my games. I'll try upping the RAM voltage a tiny bit though to see if it helps stability.

It might have just been a coincidence, you absolutely positive that you didn't touch anything else in your BIOS at the same time? As to regard RAM voltages, you're usually fine upto 2.1v with pretty much any stick so long as they have a heatsink. Higher density RAM generally has slacker timings, its just the way it works.

bitq

I just ran a stress test on my laptop with Prime95. My core temps were up to 93c in 3 minutes 0_0. Processor is a Core 2 Duo T7300. Anything I can do to lower the temps? Do those laptop coolers work at all? I was considering underclocking/undervolting as well.

zoku88

Laptop coolers work pretty well.

Is your laptop sorta new (well, it can't be that new if its a T7300)

I mean, 90C is really really hot, even for a laptop. You should get that checked out or something.... (maybe clean it out?)

bitq

zoku88 said:
Laptop coolers work pretty well.

Is your laptop sorta new (well, it can't be that new if its a T7300)

I mean, 90C is really really hot, even for a laptop. You should get that checked out or something.... (maybe clean it out?)

It's 2 years old. The only time I've had overheating issues is when I try to play games at high resolutions. After an hour or so the framerate will drop a bunch, then eventually it just crashes. I think the heat from the cpu/gpu overheats the lan card, because after a crash like that, I lose internet until I reboot. I've only got integrated graphics though, so I shouldn't be able to play most games anyway.

zoku88

bitq said:
It's 2 years old. The only time I've had overheating issues is when I try to play games at high resolutions. After an hour or so the framerate will drop a bunch, then eventually it just crashes. I think the heat from the cpu/gpu overheats the lan card, because after a crash like that, I lose internet until I reboot. I've only got integrated graphics though, so I shouldn't be able to play most games anyway.
I'm guessing it's out of warranty?

No laptop should ever overheat, even when you're working it really hard (unless, of course, you're blocking a fan or something.)

rc213

Got the Sapphire HD 4830 from the Newegg deal and installed it already, This is card is tiny compared to my last card. Cooler is a pretty good size and is near silent against the rest of the case fans. Also installed a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro i got used for $20. :D

marwan

Banned
talking about PCs, my PC is full of dust all over the place, the shit has found it's way into my thermalrigth heatsink, can someone recommend the best way of cleaning it? a spray can is not good enough.

any recommendations?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
marwan said:
talking about PCs, my PC is full of dust all over the place, the shit has found it's way into my thermalrigth heatsink, can someone recommend the best way of cleaning it? a spray can is not good enough.

any recommendations?
Dissasemble, and take what you can to your local gas station. Use the air tube for tires. The pressure in the air is so much that it will take everything off.
rc213 said:
Got the Sapphire HD 4830 from the Newegg deal and installed it already, This is card is tiny compared to my last card. Cooler is a pretty good size and is near silent against the rest of the case fans. Also installed a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro i got used for $20. :D

Can you post some benches with that card? I am strongly considering buying it for my second PC.

FoxSpirit

marwan said:

any recommendations?

Compressed air with a small pipe to direct it and a vacuum cleaner. Always worked well enough for me.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
marwan said:

any recommendations?
I used a toothbrush and water on my TRUE :lol

bitq

Alright I undervolted my laptop.

TEMPS DURING PRIME95:
Before: 94c
After: 74c

Everyone that has a laptop should do this. I used RMClock.

Falch

brain_stew said:
Switch out that AS Rock motherboard. Get a nice P45/P43 baord from ASUS or Gigabyte. Forget about built in wifi, buy a 10 Euro PCI card and be done with it, you'd be crazy to burden yourself with a crappy motherboard due to this requirement.

What are your thoughts on OCing? I'd suggest reading up on it and if you're confident enough to go that route, drop the CPU down to an E5200, add an AKasa 965 CPH cooler and get better erformance for less money. Otherwise I'd suggest trying to stretch to an E8400/E8500 if possible.

Thank you for the suggestions. I've switched the motherboard for a Gigabyte and thrown in a Belkin wificard. Might looking into an E8400/8500, and I'm thinking of getting an Radeon 4870 instead of an 4850.

I'm very confused about powersupplies though, what would be sufficient for an E8400 plus 4870? 500 Watt?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
rc213 said:

How did you get your case (antec P182?) so tidy? Mine looks like a bombshell :( I suck at organising cables :(

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Holy crap! Two dead RAM slots on my motherboard came back to life after being dead for over a year!

I have no idea how this happened but I'm so happy :D

Luthair

I have a question... Do you guys think its worth stepping up to a 285gtx from a 260gtx nvidia card? It would be a 150 buck step up with EVGA. Has anyone done the step program? Do I need all the orignal packaging? heres my system specs...

E8400 C2D on a P43 mobo
8 gigs DDR2 800mhz
EVga 260gtx w/ 216 SC
24 inch monitor that games at 1920x1200

godhandiscen

Luthair said:
I have a question... Do you guys think its worth stepping up to a 285gtx from a 260gtx nvidia card? It would be a 150 buck step up with EVGA. Has anyone done the step program? Do I need all the orignal packaging? heres my system specs...

E8400 C2D on a P43 mobo
8 gigs DDR2 800mhz
EVga 260gtx w/ 216 SC
24 inch monitor that games at 1920x1200
No. Just wait for the DX11 cards. June at the earliest. Nov for sure.
YuriLowell said:
So if my mobo wont take my new Phenom 2, what is the best phenom 2 board to get?
I answered this last page:

This is the best motherboard you can get for AMD processors right now. It has the SB750 chip, and the 790FX chip. It will overclock like crazy. Also, it has full AM3 socket support from the start. The best though, it is chip as hell because it doesn't have legacy features that the other older motherboards have. If you are going for a new AMD build, this IS the mobo:

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe

godhandiscen said:
I answered this last page:

This is the best motherboard you can get for AMD processors right now. It has the SB750 chip, and the 790FX chip. It will overclock like crazy. Also, it has full AM3 socket support from the start. The best though, it is chip as hell because it doesn't have legacy features that the other older motherboards have. If you are going for a new AMD build, this IS the mobo:

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe

I need an SLI board.

NIN90

I'm not too good at this stuff but I recently got a new PC and I can barely run the Crysis SP demo on medium settings (below 30 FPS most of the time) with these specs:

AMD Phenom 9550
ATI Radeon HD 4850
4 GB RAM
Vista 32-bit

Seems kinda low?

kodt

Banned
dhelfric said:
I'm not too good at this stuff but I recently got a new PC and I can barely run the Crysis SP demo on medium settings (below 30 FPS most of the time) with these specs:

AMD Phenom 9550
ATI Radeon HD 4850
4 GB RAM
Vista 32-bit

Seems kinda low?

What resolution?

rc213

Keen said:
How did you get your case (antec P182?) so tidy? Mine looks like a bombshell :( I suck at organising cables :(

I have most of the cables routed through the other side of the case. Then I just pass them through the cutouts on the motherboard tray. I'll see if I can take a picture later today.

rc213 said:
I have most of the cables router through the other side of the case. Then I just pass them through the cutouts on the motherboard tray. I'll see if I can take a picture later today.

I also want to know about this.

P182 Owners, I want to know if there is an easy way to get the door back on the thing.
mine came off during transit. :(

godhandiscen

dhelfric said:

AMD Phenom 9550
ATI Radeon HD 4850
4 GB RAM
Vista 32-bit

Seems kinda low?
You are screwed for Crysis. Sorry. First of all, the 9550 runs at 2.2GHz. To get a decent fps on Crysis you need at least 2 cores clocked beyond 3.0GHz. The other problem is that that is a Phenom I, which won't overclock past 2.7GHz considering you are not a pro at OC'ing and wont use liquid nitrogen or crap like that. If you want to play Crysis, upgrade to a Phenom II 3.0GHz. Crysis requires clock speed. Even cheaper dual cores overclocked 3.0GHz are able to handle Crysis beautifully.
YuriLowell said:
That one is fine. It is just missing the republic of gamers features that ASUS likes to pimp.

Tom Penny

dhelfric said:

AMD Phenom 9550
ATI Radeon HD 4850
4 GB RAM
Vista 32-bit

Seems kinda low?

That doesn't seem right on medium. I have worse specs and get better than that. Didn't see the post about your processor earlier.

** On a side note is $150 for a 9800GTX+ and COD5 free worth it?**

I have a question. If I have a Windows XP SP3 disk (OEM) on my desktop that I bought from Newegg, is it BIOS locked? Because I want to upgrade to Vista and sell the XP disk.

ProfessorLobo said:
I have a question. If I have a Windows XP SP3 disk (OEM) on my desktop that I bought from Newegg, is it BIOS locked? Because I want to upgrade to Vista and sell the XP disk.

OEM copies are only valid for one computer.

Median

Sorry to bump my own question, but what should I be looking to pay for a good PSU of about 600W? Also, what are the suggested brands? I was looking at an OCZ 700W one for $119 minus a $20 rebate at Canada Computers, is OCZ any good?

vpance

Anyone with a GA-EP45-UD3P or UD3R mobo?

Whenever I cold boot the fans spin up for a sec, then it powers off for a moment, then everything comes on again. System runs fine though and bios retains its settings too.

godhandiscen

Fio said:
2xHD4830 or 1xHD4870? What's the best option?
4870 1GB by far.
Median said:
Sorry to bump my own question, but what should I be looking to pay for a good PSU of about 600W? Also, what are the suggested brands? I was looking at an OCZ 700W one for $119 minus a $20 rebate at Canada Computers, is OCZ any good?
This PSU is perfect for your needs. It is also Corsair, so it power efficiency is pretty damn awesome.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

JSnake

Hey guys, question. When the DX11 cards come out, do you think my Corsair 450VX PSU will handle one along with my E8400 and one HDD? I know you guys can't answer for sure but I'd hate to have to get a new PSU.

vpance said:

Whenever I cold boot the fans spin up for a sec, then it powers off for a moment, then everything comes on again. System runs fine though and bios retains its settings too.

My P35-DS3 has always done that if I pull the plug, never really worried about it.

JSnake said:
Hey guys, question. When the DX11 cards come out, do you think my Corsair 450VX PSU will handle one along with my E8400 and one HDD? I know you guys can't answer for sure but I'd hate to have to get a new PSU.

That PSU can deliver a lot more than the quoted 450w. It should handle any single GPU solution just fine especially since ATI's GPUs look to be coming in smaller than their previous generation due to the shrink to 40nm.

godhandiscen

JSnake said:
The chips will be smaller, so they will consume less power theoretically. Most likely your PSU will be able to handle the endtry level DX11 cards. Aka, the successor of the 4850 500MB.

vpance

brain_stew said:
My P35-DS3 has always done that if I pull the plug, never really worried about it.

Ah cool, that explains it. I've been switching the power bar off after shutting down.

Side note, I was able to get 3.7ghz stable on a Q9400, pretty happy with the oc. Could def push it further though.

Fio said:
Are you sure? I'm just asking because I saw this test and I'm very curious now.

Read up on AFR and micro stuttering. Sure the average framerates may be higher when it works but your actual in game experience is going to be a lot worse most of the time. If Crossfire doesn't work in your chosen game then performance is going to take a nosedive, as it would if you used more than 512MB of VRAM. Get a 1GB 4870, crossfiring lower powered card is very rarely worth it.

Zyzyxxz

vpance said:

its that cool and quiet or some shit that intels do.

My friend has a E8400 and same mobo and it does the same.

Pay no heed.

So I got my phenom 2 in my motherboard, it boots and it was underclocked, and not found.
I overclocked it to 3.2 and I wanted to go higher, so I booted down and waited for it to boot up, and it wont. It wont go past post, and I get get the cmos battery out, and it wont reset with a jumper.

HELP?

So i put my x2 back in and it booted up just fine, and I reset all the defaults. I slapped my phenom 2 back in and it wont boot, at all.

Did I fry the phenom 2?

rc213

vpance said:

Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T) > Dram Performance Control there is an option called Performance Enhance which was set to Turbo, Once I changed it to Standard the issue was resolved on a Gigabyte EP43-DS3L.

Top Bottom