• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
YuriLowell said:
So I got my phenom 2 in my motherboard, it boots and it was underclocked, and not found.
I overclocked it to 3.2 and I wanted to go higher, so I booted down and waited for it to boot up, and it wont. It wont go past post, and I get get the cmos battery out, and it wont reset with a jumper.

HELP?

So i put my x2 back in and it booted up just fine, and I reset all the defaults. I slapped my phenom 2 back in and it wont boot, at all.

Did I fry the phenom 2?
hm... sorry man, but I think there is a possibility. If your X2 works perfectly fine. It could be that, or maybe the settings are saved per processor. Can you access bios with your Phenom 2?
Did you raise the voltage at any point?

rc213

YuriLowell said:
So I got my phenom 2 in my motherboard, it boots and it was underclocked, and not found.
I overclocked it to 3.2 and I wanted to go higher, so I booted down and waited for it to boot up, and it wont. It wont go past post, and I get get the cmos battery out, and it wont reset with a jumper.

HELP?

So i put my x2 back in and it booted up just fine, and I reset all the defaults. I slapped my phenom 2 back in and it wont boot, at all.

Did I fry the phenom 2?

Did you check for any Bios updates for the motherboard you are using?

Well I figured it out, my motherboard wont post with my ram in dual channel mode with the phenom 2 in it. Since my board is not really rated for the phenom 2 I guess I burned out the memory controller.

looks like I need to pick up a new motherboard.

Zyzyxxz

YuriLowell said:
Well I figured it out, my motherboard wont post with my ram in dual channel mode with the phenom 2 in it. Since my board is not really rated for the phenom 2 I guess I burned out the memory controller.

looks like I need to pick up a new motherboard.

Make sure its an AM2+ and not a plain AM2 board because that may have been your problem if the mobo detected the X2 but not the Phenom II

Zyzyxxz said:
Make sure its an AM2+ and not a plain AM2 board because that may have been your problem if the mobo detected the X2 but not the Phenom II

Its originally a am2 board, but with a bios update it went to an am2+ board.
Officially it supports up to the 9650, and when you boot up with the phenom 2 it says unsupported processor.

I would like to get the best board that works with am2+/am3, gigabyte has one with the 790x chipset that is brand new that I might bite on.

I dont need 4x pcie lanes.

zeelman

rc213 said:
Got the Sapphire HD 4830 from the Newegg deal and installed it already, This is card is tiny compared to my last card. Cooler is a pretty good size and is near silent against the rest of the case fans. Also installed a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro i got used for $20. :D

Thanks for posting those pics. I would like to buy that exact card, but I didn't know how it looked inside a computer. That gives a better idea of whether or not the card will fit in my computer. It would be replacing my Radeon X1300.

godhandiscen

YuriLowell said:
Its originally a am2 board, but with a bios update it went to an am2+ board.
Officially it supports up to the 9650, and when you boot up with the phenom 2 it says unsupported processor.

I would like to get the best board that works with am2+/am3, gigabyte has one with the 790x chipset that is brand new that I might bite on.

I dont need 4x pcie lanes.
I pointed you to a 790FX board. If you want a AM2+/AM3 board with SLI you cannot get the 790FX chip since it doesn't have a SLI controller. Nvidia makes its own chip, which is not as fast, but then again, I doubt you will notice that much of a difference. Also, the memory controller is in the Phenom II chip. there is no way you damaged the memory controller and your Phenom II chip still boots up. Also, how did you overclock? Did you increase your voltage?

rc213

zeelman said:
Thanks for posting those pics. I would like to buy that exact card, but I didn't know how it looked inside a computer. That gives a better idea of whether or not the card will fit in my computer. It would be replacing my Radeon X1300.

No problem, I was quite surprised myself at how short the card was.

Anyway here is a pic of the other side of my case showing all the crazy wiring that helps hide most of the mess from the front.

godhandiscen said:
I pointed you to a 790FX board. If you want a AM2+/AM3 board with SLI you cannot get the 790FX chip since it doesn't have a SLI controller. Nvidia makes its own chip, which is not as fast, but then again, I doubt you will notice that much of a difference. Also, the memory controller is in the Phenom II chip. there is no way you damaged the memory controller and your Phenom II chip still boots up. Also, how did you overclock? Did you increase your voltage?

I just increase the multiplier from 11x to like 14x, I left the bus speed alone and didn't touch the voltage.

If the memory controller is in the phenom II, then how come it wont boot up with memory in dual channel mode?

also what is the difference between this board and the one you linked godhand?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131339

godhandiscen

YuriLowell said:
I just increase the multiplier from 11x to like 14x, I left the bus speed alone and didn't touch the voltage.

If the memory controller is in the phenom II, then how come it wont boot up with memory in dual channel mode?

also what is the difference between this board and the one you linked godhand?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131339
Maybe one of your dimms is faulty and the Phenom detects that. Or maybe is a problem with your memory speed. Can you access bios with the Phenom II/? Try to run memtest86 on your dimms.

Also, that board has:
North Bridge AMD 790FX
South Bridge AMD SB750

Thats is the best combo you can get for AM2/AM3 boards. Also, according to ASUS it is designed with AM3 support, so it for sure will make the most out of your Phenom II.
http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149 Both boards are just fine dude, but I think the one I linked you to had SLI because you asked for it. The ASUS M3A79-T doesn't have SLI.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The mobile 4850 is in the wild via the MSI GT725, and preliminary info is trickling in:

GPU-Z
4850M.png

So it is literally a downclocked version of the desktop 4850. This notebook is only ~$1300 btw.

So I came back home after class andbooted up my pc, and guess what it still just spins and no display, I can hear the hard drives click on but nothing else.

.....I already reset the bios and I am swapping ram sticks around now.
I did not change anything to this machine at all last night once I shut it down.

bengraven

So reading through this thread is making me terrified about building my first PC, but I also feel guilty for wanting to go through a pre-made service.

Any words of encouragement?

K.Jack said:
The mobile 4850 is in the wild via the MSI GT725, and preliminary info is trickling in:

GPU-Z
4850M.png

So it is literally a downclocked version of the desktop 4850. This notebook is only ~$1300 btw.

It kept all 800 stream processors? Damn that's mighty impressive for a mobile GPU. I was half expecting it to be a clone of the 4830 but it looks like ATI went all out.

bengraven said:
So reading through this thread is making me terrified about building my first PC, but I also feel guilty for wanting to go through a pre-made service.

Any words of encouragement?

Its a nundred times easier than anyone ever thinks it is. Just do your reading beforehand, set out a good few hours to get it all done, have your motherboard manual to hand and GAF open on a laptop so that you can post here if you have any problems. One of the most massive benefits of building your own is access to overclocking, we're talking an almost risk free performance upgrade that can save you as much as $200 in some cases. Its a very rewarding activity knwing just how much you've saved.

Also, having your own custom parts and the knowledge to build means that you're going to save money down the line, as you will have no trouble upgrading any part that is lagging behind. Why buy a whole newcomputer replacing the case, PSU, HDD, motherboard and DVDRW everytime when just a CPU, RAM and GPU might net you the same performance?

Well, got home from work and my computer's dead. Damn thing won't turn on even though it's getting power. Swapped out the power supply, too.

So yeah, looks like i'm in the market. I think i'm going to build something dirt, dirt cheap... like $300 cheap.

Varna

Maybe someone in here can help me.

So my current system is pretty decent for gaming.

GPU: Nvidia 9800GTX+
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 @2.53Ghz
RAM: OCZ 4GB DDR2 800mhz
MOBO: ECS P45TA
PSU: OCZ Gamer 700watt

I perfectly happy with the way things run, but this MOBO is a piece of shit. It was tooted as a fully featured gamers board with all the fancy features for very reasonable price. On paper it sounded very good, but I really regret getting it.

First thing that went wrong... two faulty ram slots right off the bat. So I can only run in single channel which is probably f'ing my performance by at least 10%. Second thing, for some reason, every once in a while the USB ports will stop working. CMOS reset is the only way to get things running again. Overclocking is impossible too. Results are very poor and often the computer will not start.

Still, I've endured for about five months because despite those problems I really loved the way this computer handled everything. Today I hit my breaking point though.

I was just browsing the web and the computer shut off... No biggie, I tried to turn it on again... nothing. For 30 minutes I kept resetting the CMOS and I was getting nowhere. I took the computer apart so I could do a power supply test... it's fine. Put it back together and it's still not working. I continue to the reset the CMOS like a mad man and I get nowhere... For some reason though, while putting the jumper in the final time... It's starts up...

So basically my question is, what would be a GOOD motherboard that could do with my current equipment and possibly be suited for future tech like intels new line and DDR3 ram.

Varna said:

I perfectly happy with the way things run, but this MOBO is a piece of shit. It was tooted as a fully featured gamers board with all the fancy features for very reasonable price. On paper it sounded very good, but I really regret getting it.

First thing that went wrong... two faulty ram slots right off the bat. So I can only run in single channel which is probably f'ing my performance by at least 10%. Second thing, for some reason, every once in a while the USB ports will stop working. CMOS reset is the only way to get things running again. Overclocking is impossible too. Results are very poor and often the computer will not start.

Still, I've endured for about five months because despite those problems I really loved the way this computer handled everything. Today I hit my breaking point though.

I was just browsing the web and the computer shut off... No biggie, I tried to turn it on again... nothing. For 30 minutes I kept resetting the CMOS and I was getting nowhere. I took the computer apart so I could do a power supply test... it's fine. Put it back together and it's still not working. I continue to the reset the CMOS like a mad man and I get nowhere... For some reason though, while putting the jumper in the final time... It's starts up...

So basically my question is, what would be a GOOD motherboard that could do with my current equipment and possibly be suited for future tech like intels new line and DDR3 ram.

Intel's new line supports DDR3 only and doesn't support C2D processors, so what you are asking for isn't possible. If you just want a good replacement, I'd suggest something like this or this.

Varna

Open Source said:
Intel's new line supports DDR3 only and doesn't support C2D processors, so what you are asking for isn't possible. If you just want a good replacement, I'd suggest something like this or this.

Was afraid of that. I'll probably pick up the second board you posted after doing some more research... I looks very good and fairly cheap.

K.Jack

brain_stew said:
It kept all 800 stream processors? Damn that's mighty impressive for a mobile GPU. I was half expecting it to be a clone of the 4830 but it looks like ATI went all out.
Yep the mobile game is getting flipped on it's head by ATi. The mobile 4870 will keep all 800 too, but it'll be clocked either 650/680 and 900.

Oh and it'll be around ~$350 aftermarket. Still more expensive than desktop chips, but a far cry from the $799 Nvidia is asking for a 9800M GTX, which even the 4850 is going to edge out in performance.

Slavik81

Open Source said:
Question: Given that the 2nd motherboard says it supports a FSB of 1600/1333MHz, and the E7200 has a FSB of 1066MHz, is that a problem, or does it actually support anything below 1600?

I've been curious about that.

Slavik81 said:
Question: Given that the 2nd motherboard says it supports a FSB of 1600/1333MHz, and the E7200 has a FSB of 1066MHz, is that a problem, or does it actually support anything below 1600?

I've been curious about that.

It's not a problem.

godhandiscen

Ok GAF, I need your wisdom. I am thinking about buying an ABS Canyon 695. I mean, it could very well last me a lifetime, but it will cost me an eye. Before I go for the overkill, is there any other amazing case I should consider. At the moment, I will not pay over $300, unless It is widely recognized as the very best. Any recommendations?
BTW, I am in love with this case, here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkDjmvHDCHQ

This case is such a fucking monster, that even NewEgg questions you about wheter you really need this tower, lol.

"Is this the tower you need?"

Varna said:

Its impossible to meet both of your requirements sadly but a Gigabyte P45-UD3P would be an excellent choice.

K.Jack said:
Yep the mobile game is getting flipped on it's head by ATi. The mobile 4870 will keep all 800 too, but it'll be clocked either 650/680 and 900.

Oh and it'll be around ~$350 aftermarket. Still more expensive than desktop chips, but a far cry from the $799 Nvidia is asking for a 9800M GTX, which even the 4850 is going to edge out in performance.

The 4870 keeping its GDDR5 still? Where exactly does one source a mobile GPU btw, whenever I've looked finding a decent supplier has been a major pita.

godhandiscen said:
Ok GAF, I need your wisdom. I am thinking about buying an ABS Canyon 695. I mean, it could very well last me a lifetime, but it will cost me an eye. Before I go for the overkill, is there any other amazing case I should consider. At the moment, I will not pay over $300, unless It is widely recognized as the very best. Any recommendations?

This case is such a fucking monster, that even NewEgg questions you about wheter you really need this tower, lol.

I'd go for a Cosmos S if I wanted to spend serious bank on a case.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey GAF - not to ask a tech support question, but I just got a new PC (so it's sort of related) and I can't run some major games.

I tried Halo 2 and Quantum of Solace (PC achievement whore) and I get this error:
ezpyxh.jpg

As far as I know, this is some kind of DirectX error but I don't know how to fix it. Google searches only return results were the dll is missing from their system, but in my case I have the file in my system32 folder so that's not the problem.

Any ideas?

godhandiscen

firehawk12 said:
Hey GAF - not to ask a tech support question, but I just got a new PC (so it's sort of related) and I can't run some major games.

I tried Halo 2 and Quantum of Solace (PC achievement whore) and I get this error:
ezpyxh.jpg

As far as I know, this is some kind of DirectX error but I don't know how to fix it. Google searches only return results were the dll is missing from their system, but in my case I have the file in my system32 folder so that's not the problem.

Any ideas?
Update Direct X?
Open Source said:
I'd go for a Cosmos S if I wanted to spend serious bank on a case.
The Cosmos S is actually sort of awful for its price. There is not enough ventilation, and a lot of it is made out of plastic.

Fio said:
Are you sure? I'm just asking because I saw this test and I'm very curious now.
I'm going to back what he said. I just got one for my Q9550 and it's performance is amazing so far. I'm going to test it with an i7 920 OCed to 3.4 ghz over the weekend. I really should be in this thread more often considering all the testing I've been doing for 2 new workstations I'm building but I haven't left them assembled long enough or been online much to comment.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yesterday I ordered MSI Radeon 4670 512MB DDR3! :D I will get it today, or maybe on Monday. I think that is a perfect card for my 17" CRT.

MS-V159-01S.jpg

godhandiscen

DieH@rd said:
Yesterday I ordered MSI Radeon 4670 512MB DDR3! :D I will get it today, or maybe on Monday. I think that is a perfect card for my 17" CRT.

MS-V159-01S.jpg
In fact it is. Great choice.

bee

godhandiscen said:

wow something thats actually way cheaper in the UK for once. we got the proper lian li branded version going for about $475

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/38246

never seen one in real life but i do know that once you go lian li/silverstone you can never go back. £325 is an outrageous amount for a case though, my Lian Li PC-A71A was around £120, great case, certainly wouldn't pay over £200

Ruprit

godhandiscen said:

That looks like a modified version of the Lian-Li Tyr PC-X500 case. I have that model and absolutely love it. The SilverStone TJ09 series is all under $300 and very nice.

godhandiscen said:

In a word.....

Overkill.

What's funny is yeah the case is nice.... yeah the case is a Lian-Li and they make the best cases in the market.... but.... I mean.... really???

By default you would have to have extension cables for that sucker and who knows how well you could hide the cables with the sound proofing stuff on the sides.

Ruprit

VictimOfGrief said:
In a word.....

Overkill.

What's funny is yeah the case is nice.... yeah the case is a Lian-Li and they make the best cases in the market.... but.... I mean.... really???

By default you would have to have extension cables for that sucker and who knows how well you could hide the cables with the sound proofing stuff on the sides.

You may actually be surprised how easy it is to hide the cables in this case. Granted $600 for that case is ridiculous, especially when I bought the official Lian-Li version for half that.

K.Jack

brain_stew said:
The 4870 keeping its GDDR5 still? Where exactly does one source a mobile GPU btw, whenever I've looked finding a decent supplier has been a major pita.
Yep, the 4870 will come equipped with the GDDR5; it's TDP is 65w, and it's expected to be in the performance range of the desktop 4850.

As far as buying one, you have to go through the custom boutique resellers. As soon as the notebooks and cards hit the US market, I'll be able to give you exact prices and who has them for aftermarket purchase. You'll need an MXM-IV slot.

Asus X58 P6T
Core i7 920
Thermalright Ultra-120
Corsair XMS3 3x2GB 1600
2x eVGA GTX 285's
Corsair 850W PSU
150GB VelociRaptor
500GB WD Black
Samsung 22x DVD Burner
Cool Master 690 Case

Parts should get here today and build should be fairly quick. :D

godhandiscen

VictimOfGrief said:
Asus X58 P6T
Core i7 920
Thermalright Ultra-120
Corsair XMS3 3x2GB 1600
2x eVGA GTX 285's
Corsair 850W PSU
150GB VelociRaptor
500GB WD Black
Samsung 22x DVD Burner
Cool Master 690 Case

Parts should get here today and build should be fairly quick. :D
Is that your new system? I see you got 2x285's. That is going to be a fucking monster.
Ruprit said:
You may actually be surprised how easy it is to hide the cables in this case. Granted $600 for that case is ridiculous, especially when I bought the official Lian-Li version for half that.
Where can I get this official Lian-Li version?

so i bought an AGEIA physx card from E-bay(yeah, yeah geforce 8 series and up can do physx blah blah, waste of money blah blah) not the point.
but it didnt come with an installation CD. do I need one to run the card? help me PC GAF you're my only hope.

godhandiscen

Ruprit said:
Performance-PCs.com But it's 350 now. Bummer. Check out HardOCP's case forum and case gallery for some great ideas.
That is the PC-x500. I am not sure I want that model. The main reason why I am getting rid of my 900 is because I want room inside. My components are getting friend. I never play more than 30 minutes at a time, but knowing that playing for more than 2 hours could kill my components is irritating.

edit: What temps do you have now?

Zyzyxxz

K.Jack said:
Yep, the 4870 will come equipped with the GDDR5; it's TDP is 65w, and it's expected to be in the performance range of the desktop 4850.

As far as buying one, you have to go through the custom boutique resellers. As soon as the notebooks and cards hit the US market, I'll be able to give you exact prices and who has them for aftermarket purchase. You'll need an MXM-IV slot.

wait if I have a Dell with a GeForce 8400M

does this mean I can upgrade it to a 4850?

Too bad my CPU will bottleneck it though, since its only a 1.8ghz Core2Duo

Top Bottom