• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Hazaro said:
Good upgrades, why not use 16xAA and 16xAF?
Grab fraps to check your fps or use the console.

RealTemp or Coretemp
I was browsing this thread for a different reason but I just installed Core Temp and it's telling me my dual core system is running at 65C. That's 149F, I looked it up. This is a laptop, no less. Is there a way to understand why my system is running so hot? or is that "normal".

After some research i decided to go for the gigabyte ud3p - Seems like a tight tie between ud3p and asus p5q pro performance-wise, so the cooling and the extra usb ports made the decision for me. I decided to keep the chill innovation psu, even though the specs slightly favoured corsair hx520. This is a gut decision, as im quite sure the chill will do the job. It feels good to support the single hardware manufacturer I know of in Denmark, so I hope this decision won't come back to haunt me ;) The build as of now looks like this:

gfx: ASUS EAH4850/HTDI (512 MB)
cpu: Pentium Dual Core E5200 2 MB
mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
ram: OCZ Enhanced Latency 2 x 2 GB
psu: Chill CP-520A4M
hdd: WD Caviar Green WD10EACS 1 TB
case: Antec Three Hundred

I would like to thank everybody who so far have helped me with my build :D It has been a long time since i've seen such willingness to help in the online communities i frequent.

Having said that i have one more question - should I buy some better ram? The ones currently chosen are "OCZ Enhanced Latency Gold Gamer eXtreme XTC Edition Dual Channel" with these specs:
2 x 2 GB (4 GB)
PC2-6400CL5
800 MHz

I did some research but the wealth of choices quickly got me confused. The only thing i'm sure of is that i want to have 4gb of dual channel ram in the build.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
bune duggy said:
I was browsing this thread for a different reason but I just installed Core Temp and it's telling me my dual core system is running at 65C. That's 149F, I looked it up. This is a laptop, no less. Is there a way to understand why my system is running so hot? or is that "normal".
Normal for laptops, your temp is a little high if it's idling.
Laptop graphics can even hit over 100C, most average about 80C though.

Captain Knutsman said:
OCZ GAMIN RAMS
Just get the 4GB G.Skill set. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122
Lifetime warranty no questions asked and RAM affects your FPS by 0.1%
If you want to deal with rebates: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220269
You want 2x2GB 800Mhz or higher sticks.

Wired

My (2-year old) laptop runs at about 50-55C when idle last time I checked (with CoreTemp), as mentioned 65 seems a little hot but it's hard to tell. Is it old, could be dust clogging vents or some fans?

I just assumed it was because it's a dual core since it's always been like this. the fans sound like a PS3 running Folding@Home pretty much all the time. also, it's only 2 years old (got it in feb 07).

ElfoMan

Hazaro said:
Dell has a deal for a really cheap C2D system up. NO OPERATING SYSTEM (You can use Windows 7 for a few months free if you want)
Includes a fantastic 1920x1080 22" Dell monitor.
Just toss in a 8800GT/9800GT or 4830 and you are set to fly. (+$80)

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...acd=10466193-1225267-u283940t0f0fp18029c0s558
http://i40.tinypic.com/2mq4ti9.png

Could I add this 4830 without changing the PSU or anything?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121289

TheFatOne

I need your help GAF. I have been saving money for a TV, but instead of a TV I am going to buy a PC. My budget is about 1,200$. I have never done this before, and I need some help. I just want to know if everything in my list works together. I also want to know if my build is any good or should I make some changes. Finally I wanted to know if I could connect my PS3 to the monitor in my list. Any of your help is appreciated.

CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Motherboard:ASUS P5Q Pro
Power Supply:CORSAIR 550VX 550W
RAM:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1100Mhz
Case:COOLER MASTER RC-690
HDD: Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM
Monitor:ASUS VH226H Black 21.5"
GPU: XFX 4850
CD Drive:HP 20X DVD±R DVD Burner

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ElfoMan said:
Could I add this 4830 without changing the PSU or anything?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121289
That would be the ticket. :)
TheFatOne said:
I need your help GAF. I have been saving money for a TV, but instead of a TV I am going to buy a PC. My budget is about 1,200$. I have never done this before, and I need some help. I just want to know if everything in my list works together. I also want to know if my build is any good or should I make some changes. Finally I wanted to know if I could connect my PS3 to the monitor in my list. Any of your help is appreciated.

CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (E8400 instead, cheaper)
Motherboard:ASUS P5Q Pro (Good)
Power Supply:CORSAIR 550VX 550W (Good)
RAM:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1100Mhz (See RAM a few posts above you, you don't need 1100Mhz)
Case:COOLER MASTER RC-690 (Love this)
HDD: Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM (Good)
Monitor:ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" (For PS3 you need HDCP compliant, good monitor though)
GPU: XFX 4850 (Good)
CD Drive:HP 20X DVD±R DVD Burner (Just browse newegg for the award winning drives)

You need a HDCP compliant monitor if you want to use your PS3 on it.
Additionally you could always buy a TV Tuner card and watch TV on your computer monitor.

TheFatOne

Hazaro said:
You need a HDCP compliant monitor if you want to use your PS3 on it.
Additionally you could always buy a TV Tuner card and watch TV on your computer monitor.

Is there a monitor you would recommend that is HDCP compliant. Thanks for the advice on the changes to my list.

Edit: Ok I think I understand HDCP a bit more Wikipedia FTW

Median

I'm going to be picking up a quad core Intel processor, but does anyone have any thoughts on the cheaper ones? Specifically the Q6600 vs. the Q8300? Aside from the difference in clock speed, is there anything else I should really be considering between the two?

Median said:
I'm going to be picking up a quad core Intel processor, but does anyone have any thoughts on the cheaper ones? Specifically the Q6600 vs. the Q8300? Aside from the difference in clock speed, is there anything else I should really be considering between the two?

Q6600: 65nm/8MB cache, 2.4GHz clock/1.06GHz bus, historically known as a bit of an overclocker, SSE3
Q8300: 45nm/4MB cache, 2.5GHz clock/1.33GHz bus, no idea about OC, SSE4

Seems like the Q8300 should run cooler (due to the die size), though reports of OC issues seem to go against that?. I'm guessing the difference between the two is a wash, although for overclocking I'm reading that the Q6600 is by far the better option?

flsh

Banned
My PC died today (posting on laptop) so I'm going to buy a new computer tomorrow. Can anyone tell me if there's a better combination for a similar price?
CPU Intel E8400
Motherboard P31-ES3G
2* Samsung value ram 2GM 800Mhz
Graphics card Sapphire HD4870 512MB

I'll initially use windows xp 32 bit, but I will move to windows 7 64 bit, so the ram will be put to good use. I'm mostly playing WoW so even 2 cores is "too much", but you never know.

flsh said:
My PC died today (posting on laptop) so I'm going to buy a new computer tomorrow. Can anyone tell me if there's a better combination for a similar price?
CPU Intel E8400
Motherboard P31-ES3G
2* Samsung value ram 2GM 800Mhz
Graphics card Sapphire HD4870 512MB

I'll initially use windows xp 32 bit, but I will move to windows 7 64 bit, so the ram will be put to good use. I'm mostly playing WoW so even 2 cores is "too much", but you never know.
If you can swing a P45 board, you might as well get that as it will give you the most mileage for your buck.

Also... unless your really skimping on price, go ahead and get 4GB of DDR2 since it's so cheap.

flsh

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
If you can swing a P45 board, you might as well get that as it will give you the most mileage for your buck.

Also... unless your really skimping on price, go ahead and get 4GB of DDR2 since it's so cheap.

Is there a performance benefit if I go from P31 to P45? Or is it simply more features?

Also, I am getting 4GB of ram, just in 2 sticks. Or are you saying I should get 2 sticks of 4GB for a total of 8?

flsh said:
Is there a performance benefit if I go from P31 to P45? Or is it simply more features?

Also, I am getting 4GB of ram, just in 2 sticks. Or are you saying I should get 2 sticks of 4GB for a total of 8?
P45 board allows you to use the latest 45nm chips without any problems. Also, gives you the overhead of PCI-E v2.0 instead of v.1.1
For about $30 bucks more, you just have more room for upgrades later down the road. See the Gigabyte P45 board here @ Newegg

No--- I guess I misread what you said so if you're getting 2x2GB for 4GB total, you should be good.

If you wanted, you can max out the RAM with 8GB but doubtful you'll need that much (as I even barely use 2GB on my new i7 rig)

VictimOfGrief said:
P45 board allows you to use the latest 45nm chips without any problems. Also, gives you the overhead of PCI-E v2.0 instead of v.1.1
For about $30 bucks more, you just have more room for upgrades later down the road. See the Gigabyte P45 board here @ Newegg

No--- I guess I misread what you said so if you're getting 2x2GB for 4GB total, you should be good.

If you wanted, you can max out the RAM with 8GB but doubtful you'll need that much (as I even barely use 2GB on my new i7 rig)

vista64 likes lots of RAM. it's not a bank breaker and it would help down the line, but... it's needed per se. IMO.

Captain Knutsman said:
After some research i decided to go for the gigabyte ud3p - Seems like a tight tie between ud3p and asus p5q pro performance-wise, so the cooling and the extra usb ports made the decision for me. I decided to keep the chill innovation psu, even though the specs slightly favoured corsair hx520. This is a gut decision, as im quite sure the chill will do the job. It feels good to support the single hardware manufacturer I know of in Denmark, so I hope this decision won't come back to haunt me ;) The build as of now looks like this:

gfx: ASUS EAH4850/HTDI (512 MB)
cpu: Pentium Dual Core E5200 2 MB
mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
ram: OCZ Enhanced Latency 2 x 2 GB
psu: Chill CP-520A4M
hdd: WD Caviar Green WD10EACS 1 TB
case: Antec Three Hundred

I would like to thank everybody who so far have helped me with my build :D It has been a long time since i've seen such willingness to help in the online communities i frequent.

Having said that i have one more question - should I buy some better ram? The ones currently chosen are "OCZ Enhanced Latency Gold Gamer eXtreme XTC Edition Dual Channel" with these specs:
2 x 2 GB (4 GB)
PC2-6400CL5
800 MHz

I did some research but the wealth of choices quickly got me confused. The only thing i'm sure of is that i want to have 4gb of dual channel ram in the build.

That RAM's fine, got some myself as it happens.

You need to add a CPU cooler to your build since you're overclocking. For a low cost option the Akasa 965 is great.

Median said:

Get the Q6600 and OC, you wouldn't really want to stick at stock with either and the Q8300 is a terrible OCer due to its really low multiplier.

Echoes of Pink said:
I checked Dell's site and the Vostro has a 300 watt power supply. Not sure if that is enough, but I don't think it is. If someone with more knowledge could confirm that would be awesome.

I think the best you can do would be a 4670, which someone said works.

Dell's PSUs are very good and conservatively rated. There's plenty of reports of people adding an 8800GT (hich would have a larger power draw) to similar setups. He'll be fine. I'd upgrade to 4GB of RAM though aswell, considering its only a $40 upgrade aftermarket.

flsh

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:

I didn't know that, thank you :)
I'll upgrade to a P45 to prevent problems. Also, I can always get more ram later and since I'm using a 32bit system even 4GB of ram is "too much". I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, though :)

Thanks a lot! going to order it.

brain_stew said:
Dell's PSUs are very good and conservatively rated. There's plenty of reports of people adding an 8800GT (hich would have a larger power draw) to similar setups. He'll be fine. I'd upgrade to 4GB of RAM though aswell, considering its only a $40 upgrade aftermarket.

Well he was asking about adding a 4830, but the PSU doesn't have the 6 pin power he would need. I said 4670 because it doesn't need a 6 pin.

Echoes of Pink said:
Well he was asking about adding a 4830, but the PSU doesn't have the 6 pin power he would need. I said 4670 because it doesn't need a 6 pin.

That can still be overcome with the converter included in the GPU's box. Plenty of people have done this before and not had any problems.

brain_stew said:
That RAM's fine, got some myself as it happens.

You need to add a CPU cooler to your build since you're overclocking. For a low cost option the Akasa 965 is great.

I plan on using a arctic cooling 7 pro for the cpu, seems to get good reviews. The name akasa rings a bell, though i can't recall any products they've made. The Akasa 965 looks quite similar to the AC 7 pro.

I chose to have 4gb of ram, because of an article i read, which showed that more ram helped increasing the minimum framerate significantly. I just thought - doesn't this work the same way for the graphic cards memory? I recall that i couldn't find any significant difference in fps between cards with 512 and 1024mb of ram, but i can't recall any of these test looking into the minimum fps. Do the extra ram help, or should i just stay with a 512 model?

Edit: Nevermind, came across this article, which shows that the amount of ram makes nearly no difference.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
VictimOfGrief said:

What about the P43?

Heres what Im looking at getting

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Quad Core
Mobo: Asus M3A78-T Motherboard
Power Supply: 750-Watt Power Supply
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 Video Card
Ram: 4GB from computer now

Any suggestions?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
gamerecks said:
Heres what Im looking at getting

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Quad Core
Mobo: Asus M3A78-T Motherboard
Power Supply: 750-Watt Power Supply
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 Video Card
Ram: 4GB from computer now

Any suggestions?
You have no reason at all to need 750w.

That is all.

In about 2 weeks, I'll finally be building my new PC. My current one has lasted me ~ 5 years and is probably responsible for my lack of PC gaming these days. Obviously, I'd like to be able to run Crysis at maximum settings. I'd like it to be fairly future proof or simple to upgrade so it'll last me another ~5 years.

This is what I've got so far (it's been a while since I closely followed PC tech trends):

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz
MBD: MSI X48 Platinum LGA 775
RAM: G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS

I'm a little stumped with the GPU. I had originally intended to Cross-Fire 2 HD4870's (didn't really research it, just went by the MORE POWER principle). According to this benchmark (http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4870-x2-review-crossfire/11). And now I see the 4870x2 which is essentially two 4870s (but ~$100 more than just buying 2) switches between performing a little better or a little worse than the Cross-fire depending on the game. So GAF, what's recommended?

Also, while I know the E8600 outperforms the i7 920 (the only one in my price range), would I be hurting my ability to swap it out for a faster CPU down the road by sticking with the 775 socket?

If you guys think I should dump something here in favor of another product (at the same price), let me know

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Angry Grimace said:
You have no reason at all to need 750w.

That is all.
He does. If he is going to OC that Phenom, he will end up raising the voltage.

Irulan said:
A proper 500W PSU should have no problems handling that setup.
No way. 550 would barely cut it. I have experience with the Phenom II.

Also, the 4870 chip is as small as it gets. Future ATI GPU's will be bigger in die size so you will obviously need more power if you are considering an upgrade. Don't go for the minimum if it is a new build. also, if you want to CrossFire in the future, you will be thankful with a 750 PSU. Seriously, don't skimp on the PSU with a new build if you have the budget.

godhandiscen

YuriLowell said:
The Phenom IIs are power hungry?
Once Overclocked, yes they are. And Believe, me, if you are getting a 940, then you will want to overclock it.

godhandiscen said:
Once Overclocked, yes they are. And Believe, me, if you are getting a 940, then you will want to overclock it.

Ive got a 550 Watt Rosewill PSU, and just ordered a new mobo for my system since my old one does not like my phenom 2.

I have one 8800gt and 2 hard drives.

I hope I will be okay.

godhandiscen

YuriLowell said:
Ive got a 550 Watt Rosewill PSU, and just ordered a new mobo for my system since my old one does not like my phenom 2.

I have one 8800gt and 2 hard drives.

I hope I will be okay.
Yeah, it will be fine, but as i said, you are barely cutting it. If you already have the PSU, then you don't need to get a new one. But in the case of the poster who was asking for advice, he was building a new rig, so he might as well want a PSU that will allow him to upgrade components.

ElfoMan

Thanks Hazaro, Echoes of Pinkan, and brain_stew.

Today I contacted support via chat through DELL's site and asked if the PSU (for the Vostro 220 Mini Tower n) had a free PCI-E power connection and they said yes :O

godhandiscen said:
Yeah, it will be fine, but as i said, you are barely cutting it. If you already have the PSU, then you don't need to get a new one. But in the case of the poster who was asking for advice, he was building a new rig, so he might as well want a PSU that will allow him to upgrade components.

Alright thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
gamerecks said:
Im gonna grab a 750w then. Im gonna hand over my old computer to my brother, so a new one would be needed.
Corsair or PC&P 750w. Whichever one is cheaper, both are top build quality units.
PC&P's former reign is over with other top PSU's out now for same or lower price.

this is what happens when you are on pain-killers... Zombie threads.

ok, need recomendations on a video card. since victim _of_grief is busy arguing in that dumb "10 to improve PC gaming" thread.

my budget for a video card is about 300-350 dollars. i want top of the line and be able to push 1920x1200 resolutions on all my games with crysis being able to do 30+ FPS(if i can get crysis to do that, all my games should be fine)

so...
fire away.

VictimOfGrief said:
eVGA GTX 285 for $359 w/ $20 rebate.
Newegg link here

god damn, you are quick! three things though :

1. power compsuntion?(sp) big hog? or some animal that's not a big hog...?
2. how big is it? i have a mid tower in-win B2 case and i gotta make sure i can fit it in.
3. where's our PC gamer avatars?!?!?
4. cant harm an OCP officer... wait.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
god damn, you are quick! three things though :

1. power compsuntion?(sp) big hog? or some animal that's not a big hog...?
2. how big is it? i have a mid tower in-win B2 case and i gotta make sure i can fit it in.
3. where's our PC gamer avatars?!?!?
4. cant harm an OCP officer... wait.

1a.) GTX 285 is the 55nm die shrink of the GTX 280. Power requirements between the two (seen here in a [H] review Mind you it is a super-clocked, but that will give you some idea if you OC the card):
1231876266ORti9tWw5I_10_3.gif

2b.) The card is approx. ~ 10.5" inches in length. Normal size for those higher end cards.
3c.) They're coming, they're on my desktop of which the motherboard died so I had to RMA the bitch back to Gigabyte for them to ship me out a new one so I would hope for some PC Gamer Avi's in the next couple of weeks. Don't worry, haven't forgotten. :D
4d.) :D

godhandiscen

evil solrac v3.0 said:
this is what happens when you are on pain-killers... Zombie threads.

ok, need recomendations on a video card. since victim _of_grief is busy arguing in that dumb "10 to improve PC gaming" thread.

my budget for a video card is about 300-350 dollars. i want top of the line and be able to push 1920x1200 resolutions on all my games with crysis being able to do 30+ FPS(if i can get crysis to do that, all my games should be fine)

so...
fire away.
Not at 1920x1200. Try 1600x1050.

volt01

Neo Member
I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but whats the main difference between the Radeon hd4870 with 512 mb versus the 1Gb version, and If I'm only playing games on at max a 1680x1050 monitor would It really matter to get 1gb version.

VictimOfGrief said:
eVGA GTX 285 for $359 w/ $20 rebate.
Newegg link here

This is exactly the card I bought last week. Great card so far (though it doesn't come with WaW by itself, or at least I didn't get it.) Runs fine on my 525W supply though it's probably a pretty good one by most standards.

Fits fine in my midtower case, though it's a Dell with Quadro SLI so it's hardly "standard" by most measures. It's a dualslot card and not exactly small, though I'm guessing a 4870x2 might be longer? Anyway, it's dual six-pin and comes with a 2x4pin - 6pin adapter.

props to EVGA though, the driver disk is literally
1) drivers, if you really really need them
2) adobe reader in case you want a digital version of the manual
3) Their voltage/OC utility
4) fraps

godhandiscen

volt01 said:
I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but whats the main difference between the Radeon hd4870 with 512 mb versus the 1Gb version, and If I'm only playing games on at max a 1680x1050 monitor would It really matter to get 1gb version.
Yeah, you want the 1GB version. There is a lot of difference even at 1600x1050.

Top Bottom