• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Ryoma-Echizen said:
Wow, the news this days are hot.

Phenom II humilliates Corei7 in gaming with single GPU configs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/socket-am3-phenom,2148-10.html

http://media.bestofmicro.com/W/R/178731/original/image029.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://media.bestofmicro.com/W/W/178736/original/image034.png[IMG]

And many more, everyone of them.[/QUOTE]

Wow nice, can anyone put together a quality Phenom II setup for under $800?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Ranger X said:
I knew I would have more question.

Not sure I get the interface. There's 4 different temperature numbers and 4 different "TJ max" numbers.

Why is there 4 numbers and what is TJ max?

4 cores => 4 temperatures. TJ ax is at 100 if you notice. Add the numbers in each core with their respective TJ max. I think the TJ max is when your CPU will melt. I wouldnt even get 20*C close to it.
MWS Natural said:
Wow nice, can anyone put together a quality Phenom II setup for under $800?
Pretty sure I can, give me a minute. I will assume you have a monitor, case, and DVD drive. Will cut at 700 even so that you have money for shipping. brb.
Ranger X said:
Ok. they all at 33, 34 or 35 degree so I guess it's good.

At wich point would it be alarming? around 50? 60?

Mines are at 45, 39, 46. 44. I have seen them go to 70 when I play Crysis. Do you have an aftermarket cooler?

Ranger X

godhandiscen said:
4 cores => 4 temperatures. TJ ax is at 100 if you notice. Add the numbers in each core with their respective TJ max. I think the TJ max is when your CPU will melt. I wouldnt even get 20*C close to it.

Ok. they all at 33, 34 or 35 degree so I guess it's good.

At wich point would it be alarming? around 50? 60?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Hey guys, could anyone look at this list and recommend a cheap upgrade that would actually be worth doing? I currently have a X2 5000+ BE running at 3.2ghz.

I was going to get a 9850 but it was recently deactivated at Newegg :(

Ranger X

godhandiscen said:
Mines are at 45, 39, 46. 44. I have seen them go to 70 when I play Crysis. Do you have an aftermarket cooler?

Nope. No cooler. Is it reaaally necessary or only if I abuse some Crysis? (wich I doubt I would because I only run with a RadeonHD 4830)

godhandiscen

Actually, nevermind MWS Natural. The AM3 mobo that I was going to tell you to get sold out. I will try later ok. Try to aim for the processor and mobo in this article.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYyMSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

AM3 mobo, plus kickass X3 super OC processor. You won't regret it.
Ranger X said:
Nope. No cooler. Is it reaaally necessary or only if I abuse some Crysis? (wich I doubt I would because I only run with a RadeonHD 4830)

I just told you your temps are better than mine. I just finished Crysis Warhead at max settings, with my CPU OC'd to 3.3GHz. I think you will be fine even abusing Crysis.

DeadTrees said:
The processor is upgradeable (see this Dell forum thread), but the pricing is absolutely not worth the bother.
I see. Thanks. Doesn't look like upgrading it is very viable.

godhandiscen said:
Build a gaming rig. You will see minimal gains on that laptop. I would say your GPU is your bottleneck too.
That's what it looks like I'll be doing. Sigh... problem is it'll take a few months to save up and purchase parts and a few more to save up for the monitor.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
BlackGoku03 said:
I guess I can ask this here since I didn't get an answer in another thread.

I have a Inspiron E1505 and I want to replace my CPU. I was wondering if my BIOS would allow for it or not... if my computer would be compatible with a more powerful Core 2 Duo processor. I want to play more game on my laptop but my processor is weak. I think I'll just start building a gaming rig if it's not possible to upgrade my cpu.
When it comes to notebook gaming and upgrading CPUs, you need to have at least a 9800M or Ati 48xx for it to be worth your while. If you want to do serious notebook gaming, you'll wait for the ATi 4850 and 4870 mobile cards to hit in March. $1250-$1500 for notebooks with high end desktop level performance.

Otherwise, have fun building your desktop.

I honestly think this is AMD's last big bang. With Intel continuing to push into their market share, I don't see AMD getting back up on their feat after the 5 years of the Core 2 Duo.

I'm just going to build mine from scratch. I've been getting involved with some film projects and would like to edit my own. That and I want to get into PC gaming.

I'm looking at the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 along with the Intel G41 Micro ATX motherboard. I think I'm heading in the right direction. Not sure what video card to get. Any suggestions? I don't want to pay too much for it.

I do a lot of multitasking especialy with school and video editing. I do a lot of editing for my church and other projects and I like to have more than one open at a time. On my current computer, editing is a dedicated task. I get kicked out of aero mode and go to basic and I close everything else to get better performance. I don't want to have to do this with my new rig.

K.Jack said:
When it comes to notebook gaming and upgrading CPUs, you need to have at least a 9800M or Ati 48xx for it to be worth your while. If you want to do serious notebook gaming, you'll wait for the ATi 4850 and 4870 mobile cards to hit in March. $1250-$1500 for notebooks with high end desktop level performance.

Otherwise, have fun building your desktop.
I'm not going to spend that much. I have a car that needs upgrades too :p

I'll have fun building it... hope everything goes smooth.

godhandiscen said:
Actually, nevermind MWS Natural. The AM3 mobo that I was going to tell you to get sold out. I will try later ok. Try to aim for the processor and mobo in this article.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYyMSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

AM3 mobo, plus kickass X3 super OC processor. You won't regret it.

I just told you your temps are better than mine. I just finished Crysis Warhead at max settings, with my CPU OC'd to 3.3GHz. I think you will be fine even abusing Crysis.

I am looking to get into PC gaming and want to be able to run Crysis in 1920x1080 on my 37inch monitor. I prefer SFF or smaller style cases and have a budget max around $800

Zyzyxxz

MWS Natural said:
I am looking to get into PC gaming and want to be able to run Crysis in 1920x1080 on my 37inch monitor. I prefer SFF or smaller style cases and have a budget max around $800

Silverstone builds great cases.

Check out the TJ08 and the SG03-B (which is a little bit more innnovative in terms of layout)

$800 is really tight though just to run Crysis at 1900x1200.

Rough estimates:

$220 for 4870 1gb
$200 for E8400 (or a new AM3 cpu)
$130 for mobo
$100 for power supply
$50 for 2x2 gb DDR2 ram
$100 for case

Not including taxes and shipping. To be honest you can skimp out on the case and maybe go for a lower cost powersupply but at the cost of less wattage meaning no future for SLI.
Not including taxes and shipping. To best honest you can skimp out on the case and maybe go for a lower cost powersupply but at the cost of less wattage meaning no future for SLI. The mobo can be had for cheaper too but if you want a good overclock expect to spend around that much.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ryoma-Echizen said:
i7 was not meant for gaming, the cache shows this and I've said it before for single GPU. A Core 2 is still amazingly fast and cheap and will last a good 2 years.

For a more in depth and easy review go to the TechReport

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16147/1

godhandiscen said:
Thermal rating of which temps are derived from. Usually auto shut off or throttling at that temp. Frying is in the hundreds of C.

Zyzyxxz said:
$800 is really tight though just to run Crysis at 1900x1200.

Rough estimates:

$220 for 4870 1gb
$200 for E8400 (or a new AM3 cpu)
$130 for mobo
$100 for power supply
$50 for 2x2 gb DDR2 ram
$100 for case
*Get a GTX 260 for Crysis, it runs better with Nvidia than ATi.
*$100 Antec case + PSU to chop off $100
*$70 for a E5200 (Overclock) or *E7300 for $120

godhandiscen

Hey Hazaro, thanks for the knowledge. I seriously didn't know.

Now, for an AM3 rig at 800 dollars. I would say:

MWS Natural said:

Phenom II X3 720 $150
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe $200
GTX260 $220
3x1GB DDR3 $90
True 120 CPU Cooler. $60
Case & PSU $100

That is $820 but the Phenom II X3 beats any Core 2 Duo (new benches just released). Also, since it is a socket AM3 it will offer a lot of room for upgrades. However, you will have to overclock the CPU, thankfully, it does it like a champ. Look at the link.
VictimOfGrief said:
I honestly think this is AMD's last big bang. With Intel continuing to push into their market share, I don't see AMD getting back up on their feat after the 5 years of the Core 2 Duo.
Don't stop believing!

Ysiadmihi said:
Hey guys, could anyone look at this list and recommend a cheap upgrade that would actually be worth doing? I currently have a X2 5000+ BE running at 3.2ghz.

I was going to get a 9850 but it was recently deactivated at Newegg :(
Maybe a Phenom II 940 is compatible with your mobo, You will have to do some research of people that have done it. If not, no upgrade is really advisable. The best processor in that list is the 9850 BE, and I know from experience that you won't notice the speed difference coming off an AMD X2. I would keep saving money and just get a new mobo and processor. If you want to reuse your ram, I recommend looking to an AM3 processor with DDR2 memory controller.

edit: Also, the Phenom 9850 BE will not OC past 3.0GHz, so in any application that doesn't use more than 2 cores, you might even feel a downgrade.

dionysus

Yaldog
So I decided to take the next step in PC gaming, and overclock my machine. I have a Q6600. I found some decent guides online so I don't need much help.

One question, what is the max core temperatures I should see during my 4 hour stress test? I am thinking I need better cooling on my cpu.

Also, what is a good cpu cooler for the q6600?

iain

I've decided it's time to buy a new PC and I'm fairly useless at this stuff. With the help of a friend, I decided on the following,

AMD PHENOM 9850 QUAD CORE 2.5GHz
Asus M3N-HT-DELUXE-MP
Gigabyte GF9800GT OC PCI-E 1GB
Kingston 4GB KIT DDR2 800MHz
Seagate SATA2 500GB Harddisc
Samsung DualLayer DVD x2
Antec Sonata III 3 Case + 500W PSU

I'm pretty psyched about what I ended up with, but please feel free to tell me if you think I'm making a mistake with anything, as like I said, I'm useless with this stuff.

The build is within a budget of $1500 Australian, and I'm hoping it will be reasonably future proof.

M.Bluth

Well, apparently my case will be too small, so I'll buy a case..

Which is better, Thermaltake Spedo, or Gigabyte Aurora or whatever it's called? (for some reason they don't sell Antec or Coolermaster cases here anymore)

iain said:
I've decided it's time to buy a new PC and I'm fairly useless at this stuff. With the help of a friend, I decided on the following,

AMD PHENOM 9850 QUAD CORE 2.5GHz
Asus M3N-HT-DELUXE-MP
Gigabyte GF9800GT OC PCI-E 1GB
Kingston 4GB KIT DDR2 800MHz
Seagate SATA2 500GB Harddisc
Samsung DualLayer DVD x2
Antec Sonata III 3 Case + 500W PSU

I'm pretty psyched about what I ended up with, but please feel free to tell me if you think I'm making a mistake with anything, as like I said, I'm useless with this stuff.

The build is within a budget of $1500 Australian, and I'm hoping it will be reasonably future proof.

Swing a Phenom 2 is you can, and try and swing a 4870. Its worth the upgrade.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Maybe a Phenom II 940 is compatible with your mobo, You will have to do some research of people that have done it. If not, no upgrade is really advisable. The best processor in that list is the 9850 BE, and I know from experience that you won't notice the speed difference coming off an AMD X2. I would keep saving money and just get a new mobo and processor. If you want to reuse your ram, I recommend looking to an AM3 processor with DDR2 memory controller.

edit: Also, the Phenom 9850 BE will not OC past 3.0GHz, so in any application that doesn't use more than 2 cores, you might even feel a downgrade.

Some results on Google say it's possible for a 940 so I might look into it, thanks :D

BlackGoku03 said:
I'm just going to build mine from scratch. I've been getting involved with some film projects and would like to edit my own. That and I want to get into PC gaming.

I'm looking at the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 along with the Intel G41 Micro ATX motherboard. I think I'm heading in the right direction. Not sure what video card to get. Any suggestions? I don't want to pay too much for it.

I do a lot of multitasking especialy with school and video editing. I do a lot of editing for my church and other projects and I like to have more than one open at a time. On my current computer, editing is a dedicated task. I get kicked out of aero mode and go to basic and I close everything else to get better performance. I don't want to have to do this with my new rig.

I just built a Q6600 machine from scratch (all I had was the monitor) with video editing being my primary focus, and gaming secondary. I went with the ATI HD 4830 ($90 before rebate) and 8 GB of Ram. All told, I kept it under $800 and it has performed beautifully in all the editing and gaming I've thrown at it so far. No overclocking yet

JudgeN

BlackGoku03 said:

Intel motherboards don't not allow for overclocking, you should get another motherboard even if your main purpose is video editing. Your going to want to overclock that Q6600, I would recommend this motherboard for alittle more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358

Thanks for the recommendations guys! The hardest part is finding a nice mini ATX case to fit everything in. I will do some searching today, might even pull the trigger on a few parts.

Edit: Oh wow those SilverStone cases are really nice...hmm pending wifey approval I might be buying a new PC today. I just bought a new Kuro so I'm not sure if she will be on board with this one :lol

Wired

godhandiscen said:

Pretty sure I can, give me a minute. I will assume you have a monitor, case, and DVD drive. Will cut at 700 even so that you have money for shipping. brb.

:D Nothing that catastrophic, the TJ max (Tjunction Max) is where the CPU will shut itself down, it will throttle itself a few degrees before that though, but yeah... I wouldn't go near it either.

EDIT: God damn it, Hazaro had already said pretty much the same thing. Note to self: finish reading the thread before posting an answer...

I asked this a couple of pages ago but it was overlooked so here goes:

Unless I'm mistaken, and please tell me if I am...

If the Core 2 Duo E8600 ($270) beats the Core i7 920 ($290) in gaming benchmarks what reason is there for opting for the i7? Are you at a disadvantage in the long-term for sticking with the 775?

Bonus question: what's the best GPU option for ~$500? 4870x2, 4870 cross-fire or Nvidia GTX series?

Wired

frailimbnursry said:

Unless I'm mistaken, and please tell me so...

If the Core 2 Duo E8600 ($270) beats the Core i7 920 ($290) in gaming benchmarks what reason is there for opting for the i7? Are you at a disadvantage in the long-term for sticking with the 775?

Bonus question: what's the best GPU option for ~$500? 4870x2, 4870 cross-fire or Nvidia GTX series?

In really long term I'd say yeah that's the case. But we're talking years here and before that you'll still be able to upgrade to a quad (rather cheaply I'd imagine). At least that was my thought when sticking with 775, someone please correct me if my thinking is off. And by the time the quad won't cut it buying 1366 stuff should be more at my price levels.

edit: That's assuming you wouldn't overpay for the e8600, stick with the e8400 and a aftermarket cooler and clock that bitch up. Otherwise, buy the i7.

frailimbnursry said:

Unless I'm mistaken, and please tell me so...

775 = dead platform vs. 1366 which will live on for another 6-7 years.

Disadvantage of staying with the 775 is you have no upgrade route beyond memory and RAM. Advantage though would be cost if that is a consideration.

Best GPU. 4870x2 is a power hungry mother F'er, of which the GTX 295 bests in power consumption and benches (albiet rather small margin, but still). Not a bad buy though by any means. 4870's in Cross-Fire are decent but a pair of GTX 285's will out perform those and best them in power consumption.

Gleeky

Need a bit of help.

I have a Westinghouse 37WSE that I've been using for my 360/computer. It's been great, but I want something with better black levels/better IQ. It should be 1920x1200 and has to accept HDMI/VGA and DVI of course.

I was thinking about scaling back to something 24-26 inch category. I game a lot on both PC and Xbox 360.

Looking to spend around $500? If I can get away with less, awesome.

Thanks!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gleeky said:
Need a bit of help.

I have a Westinghouse 37WSE that I've been using for my 360/computer. It's been great, but I want something with better black levels/better IQ. It should be 1920x1080 and has to accept HDMI/VGA and DVI of course.

I was thinking about scaling back to something 24-26 inch category. I game a lot on both PC and Xbox 360.

Looking to spend around $500? If I can get away with less, awesome.

Thanks!
There's a lot more in the 1920x1200 category than 1920x1080.

godhandiscen

gamerecks said:
This popped up in my youtube sub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZwKHOyohg

If you have lots of money to waste.
Wow 3-SLI is riddled with graphical bugs. Fuck that shit.

I actually have a second GTX295 (I already own one) along with a Corsair 1k PSU on my newegg basket. I was about to make the purchase a week ago after my Crysis fps was FAP worthy, but then I realized that DX11 is around the corner and the GTX295 doesn't support it. So fuck it. I am not wasting money into more DX10 cards.

WOW, check this:

Phenom II 940 on AM3 is faster than the Core i7 920 in single GPU configuration.

godhandiscen said:
Wow 3-SLI is riddled with graphical bugs. Fuck that shit.

I actually have a second GTX295 (I already own one) along with a Corsair 1k PSU on my newegg basket. I was about to make the purchase a week ago after my Crysis fps was FAP worthy, but then I realized that DX11 is around the corner and the GTX295 doesn't support it. So fuck it. I am not wasting money into more DX10 cards.

Er...is there actually anything coming that is going to use DX11 to any noticeable degree? I mean, I can understand back in the days with the whole shader model conversion, but...

godhandiscen

Crazymoogle said:
Er...is there actually anything coming that is going to use DX11 to any noticeable degree? I mean, I can understand back in the days with the whole shader model conversion, but...
Yeah, that is true, but I am also certain that the next generation GPU's will run faster than my current GTX295. I wasnt even planning on getting a GTX295. It was a free upgrade from a 4870x2 thanks to NewEgg. Therefore, I am going to wait for the next generation of cards before i keep investing money on GPU hardware.

godhandiscen said:
Yeah, that is true, but I am also certain that the next generation GPU's will run faster than my current GTX295. I wasnt even planning on getting a GTX295. It was a free upgrade from a 4870x2 thanks to NewEgg. Therefore, I am going to wait for the next generation of cards before i keep investing money on GPU hardware.

I won't disagree with that, though you'd have to think 295x2 would still be better. Just a matter of whether you want to gamble on multicard gaming. (And actually, since MS seems to want to discourage it, you're making the smart move.)

Apparently, some of the lower spec'd components are discontinued or sold out :( This is what I ended up with:

vdpdfl.png

All in all, not a bad effort for the price (in AUD). Luckily, I'm getting a new KBAM, monitor and speakers as a gift :D

AnEternalEnigma said:
You sure you want to pay for Windows Vista, considering how quickly they are trying to get Windows 7 out?
Will they be releasing it within the next month? If not, then I'm absolutely certain I want Vista. I need a PC for study/Internet/organising my life, not hardware running on an experimental OS. I'm also really not in the mood to be messing about with Linux right now.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Will they be releasing it within the next month? If not, then I'm absolutely certain I want Vista. I need a PC for study/Internet/organising my life, not hardware running on an experimental OS. I'm also really not in the mood to be messing about with Linux right now.

Since you are getting 4GB of ram, did you consider getting the 64bit Vista?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
viciouskillersquirrel said:
But $179 for Premium? Is that US!?

Top Bottom