• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

zoku88

viciouskillersquirrel said:
AUD. Australia gets raped in horrific ways when it comes to pricing of electronics.

I hadn't, no. What are the advantages over 32bit?
Being able to actually address all of your RAM + some extra kernel security stuff.

zoku88

I can address ~3.8GB worth, IIRC. I've just been wary of 64bit versions because of compatibility issues.
You can't really tell how mcuh you can address unless you actually have the hardware. It could only be something like 3.2-3.5 for the given hardware. Your gfx card already seems to be taking up a lot.

AUD. Australia gets raped in horrific ways when it comes to pricing of electronics.

beaten. 64bit modes in games provide better performance. i have had 64bit since Christmas and general use nothing has gone wrong because of it being 64.

Will they be releasing it within the next month? If not, then I'm absolutely certain I want Vista. I need a PC for study/Internet/organising my life, not hardware running on an experimental OS. I'm also really not in the mood to be messing about with Linux right now.

Well, Windows 7 is a huge breath of fresh air (and rock solid too), but yeah, it's hard to say what happens in august.

My sympathies over having to pay that much for Office, though. :/ It was as low as 50cdn over the christmas break.

Crazymoogle said:
Well, Windows 7 is a huge breath of fresh air (and rock solid too), but yeah, it's hard to say what happens in august.

My sympathies over having to pay that much for Office, though. :/ It was as low as 50cdn over the christmas break.

Open Office?

Pachael

Are you a student? You can get the Student Office deal (Ultimate!) for just AUD75.
http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/itsnotcheating/default.aspx

(Change Country/Region to Australia)

Heck, you might also want Vista Ultimate (Upgrade) SP1 for AUD80 - click on additional products. You can use upgrade as a new installation - just 'upgrade' twice.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2007/01/6828.ars

Shinz Kicker said:
Open Office?

Sure, if you're desperate (or really want to save $). But the formatting on it sucks and if you have to deal with people who actually use Office a lot, you'll save a ton of headaches by using the same software and not something with problematic conversion.

Shinz Kicker said:
Open Office?
I used Open Office many years ago. I'd rather just have seamless portability of my files between work, home and uni.

Pachael said:
Are you a student? You can get the Student Office deal (Ultimate!) for just AUD75.
http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/itsnotcheating/default.aspx

(Change Country/Region to Australia)

Heck, you might also want Vista Ultimate (Upgrade) SP1 for AUD80 - click on additional products. You can use upgrade as a new installation - just 'upgrade' twice.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2007/01/6828.ars
Oh wow. I didn't know about this. Thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
godhandiscen said:
Hey Hazaro, thanks for the knowledge. I seriously didn't know. :D

Now, for an AM3 rig at 800 dollars. I would say:

Phenom II X3 720 $150
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe $200
GTX260 $220
3x1GB DDR3 $90
True 120 CPU Cooler. $60
Case & PSU $100

That is $820 but the Phenom II X3 beats any Core 2 Duo (new benches just released).
I have to disagree since the benches are for a 4870x2 and he will only be using a GTX 260. In addition the cost of a Core 2 that would pull the same frames would cost $80 (CPU) + $70 (mobo) $50 (RAM) + $25 (Cooler, swap for $25 Rosewill) === $200 less

It's upgradeable to a Core 2 Quad which I believe is all the "future proofing" we need atm.
My opinion of course.

Like I said before there are no real big advantages unless you are using $400 in graphic power. I'm all for holding out since no game is coming out to demand upgrading.
Like I said, 22nm all the way ;)
Crazymoogle said:
Sure, if you're desperate (or really want to save $). But the formatting on it sucks and if you have to deal with people who actually use Office a lot, you'll save a ton of headaches by using the same software and not something with problematic conversion.
I used Open Office for a good while, but the spelling and grammar check suck. I've never run into compatibility issues since I always saved in .doc (98/2000/XP) and .ppt
However, if you can get Office for student price definitely go for it, I got my copy from an IT guy and won't look back.
Office 2007 anyway, the new .docx is stupid and it auto saves as that type only to have people come in to try and open it. Ugh.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Crazymoogle said:
One of my favorite features of 7 is the added functionality which allows Wordpad to read and edit documents that are in Word's .docx format :lol

I'm cheap.

godhandiscen said:
I actually have a second GTX295 (I already own one) along with a Corsair 1k PSU on my newegg basket. I was about to make the purchase a week ago after my Crysis fps was FAP worthy, but then I realized that DX11 is around the corner and the GTX295 doesn't support it. So fuck it. I am not wasting money into more DX10 cards.
When are ATI's next-gen cards expected to show up? If it's not too late into the year, I might have to wait on those to build my box.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
rohlfinator said:
When are ATI's next-gen cards expected to show up? If it's not too late into the year, I might have to wait on those to build my box.
These are the latest plans I have for both companies:
roadmap_gpu_19_11_650bgpx.png

So maybe not too long.

Clever Pun said:
I just built a Q6600 machine from scratch (all I had was the monitor) with video editing being my primary focus, and gaming secondary. I went with the ATI HD 4830 ($90 before rebate) and 8 GB of Ram. All told, I kept it under $800 and it has performed beautifully in all the editing and gaming I've thrown at it so far. No overclocking yet
No overclocking yet... what games have you played and at what settings? How did it perform?

JudgeN said:
Intel motherboards don't not allow for overclocking, you should get another motherboard even if your main purpose is video editing. Your going to want to overclock that Q6600, I would recommend this motherboard for alittle more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358
I don't really want to overclock as I was told processors don't last as long. That is true right? I have read it somewhere.

Also... that mobo is a little high. I'd be going slightly over budget. Anything similar to it for a little less? It may go own in price if I wait but I want to have everything by April.

I also want this GPU. What do you guys think?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BlackGoku03 said:
No overclocking yet... what games have you played and at what settings? How did it perform?

I don't really want to overclock as I was told processors don't last as long. That is true right? I have read it somewhere.

Also... that mobo is a little high. I'd be going slightly over budget. Anything similar to it for a little less? It may go own in price if I wait but I want to have everything by April.

Overclock of 1.3V or 1.35V on a Q6600 will reduce it's life from like 20 years to 15 tops really.
It's nothing to worry about esp on the 65nm chips.
I'm too lazy to dig up all the info I read about 2 years ago, but don't worry about it. It'll hit 3.0Ghz with ease at a low voltage, heck even stock in some cases.

Get a $150 4850 and select what you want (STALKER, Gaming mouse, etc for free)

Hazaro said:
Overclock of 1.3V or 1.35V on a Q6600 will reduce it's life from like 20 years to 15 tops really.
It's nothing to worry about esp on the 65nm chips.
I'm too lazy to dig up all the info I read about 2 years ago, but don't worry about it. It'll hit 3.0Ghz with ease at a low voltage, heck even stock in some cases.

Get a $150 4850 and select what you want (STALKER, Gaming mouse, etc for free)
I wonder how well I'd be able to run Crysis with the 4850. It looks like a good one to choose. I really want that game and Far Cry 2 at the best it can look.

I really can't wait to get more serious with editing too... and I'm about to get a pro camera!

lachesis

So, I finally got the approval for Core i7 upgrade from my wife. I'll be breaking my piggy bank (literally), and will have to sell off my Maximus Formula, Q6600 and RAM modules, first.

Anyhow, I'm pretty much locked and set my mind on Core i7 920 to begin with. However it's the motherboard that I'm rather torn apart...

ASUS P6T Deluxe
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131346
or
ASUS Rampage II Extreme
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131352
or
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128362

My current LGA775 board is X38 Maximus Formula. Recommended to me by someone I know. While I know that I don't utilize much from this MB by not OC'ing too much... but having all that stuff is pretty neat, and I do plan on OC'ing Core i7 920 to at least 3.6 to 3.8 stable.

It does seem like for what I'm using, any of above would work just fine... but this whole unpractical tendency of getting the "best" is making me quite a bit hesistant. Realistically, and since I'm rather fond of ASUS boards, I'm leaning towards P6T - as it's pretty much neck-to-neck with Rampage II Extreme... and the degree of my OC'ing would be well within the limits of any of above MBs... but, but... :(

Same goes with DDR3 Memory. I'd like to get that expensive Corsair DDR3-1600 tripple 6gb set, even though I'm only running 32bit XP as of now. I might dual-os it when I get the new Windows 7, perhaps later this year - but I don't have any need for 6gb, none. I could buy 3gb set of that corsair DDR3 1600 for less than half the price, but this time, the name "future proof" is making me not make the logical choice: buy 3gb and sell it off later..kinda thing. (And ebay's too much of hassle.. :()

But since I've gotten the go-ahead, I now have a little bit of time and relief. I can now concentrate on more important matters first - such as doing the taxes for this year, as well as do some mortgage hunting for my refinance while the interest rates are low.... etc etc.

My final question would be:

I have 520w Modular PSU for my current rig. GPU is 8800 GTS 512mb, g92 one. I"ll be keeping that GPU for a while (since this Core i7 would be mostly for 3DS Max, so CPU/RAM's more important) - and I have a couple of HDDs, and 1 DVD writer, a few case fans and Zalman 9700 cpu cooler. Would this 520w Corsair PSU enough to power OC'ed Core i7 920 and MB+RAM?

lachesis

BlackGoku03 said:
^How much for your Q6660 and heatsink?

You probably don't want my Q6600... it's not G0 Stepping, so it doesn't OC that well. I've pushed for about 3.2ghz, but temp was a bit too high for my taste, so I reverted back to just regular 2.4ghz shortly after. ;)

I'm not even sure how much I should ask for B3 (I think) Q6600. Just my luck. I built mine just before G0 came out. LOL!

lachesis

Hazaro said:
You good.
Stick with 3GB for now of DDR3 imo.

Hazaro, you are absolutely correct - that was my logical conclusion. But my ego (lol) thinks otherwise... sigh.

Then again, it's just a computer. It will get outdated no matter how much I spend in a couple of years, so yeah. I think I'll go that route. ;) - Thanks for confirming that logical solution. :)

Nif

I love this Phenom II processor. I'm getting over 80fps in Dead Space with the highest settings. I can record with Fraps at the same resolution for over 30fps. :D My old dual core would have had a heart attack.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
lachesis said:
Hazaro, you are absolutely correct - that was my logical conclusion. But my ego (lol) thinks otherwise... sigh.

Then again, it's just a computer. It will get outdated no matter how much I spend in a couple of years, so yeah. I think I'll go that route. ;) - Thanks for confirming that logical solution. :)
My normal P5B is a trooper, boards are solid, features aren't worth $100 extra.
I'd take GB if it was maybe $230 or so, but it's not.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Hazaro said:
I have to disagree since the benches are for a 4870x2 and he will only be using a GTX 260. In addition the cost of a Core 2 that would pull the same frames would cost $80 (CPU) + $70 (mobo) $50 (RAM) + $25 (Cooler, swap for $25 Rosewill) === $200 less

It's upgradeable to a Core 2 Quad which I believe is all the "future proofing" we need atm.
My opinion of course.

Like I said before there are no real big advantages unless you are using $400 in graphic power. I'm all for holding out since no game is coming out to demand upgrading.
Like I said, 22nm all the way ;)
According to Toms Hardware the Phenom II X3 is faster than the Core 2 Duo and the Cor i7 with a single GPU configuration. Notice the X3 isnt even OC'd there. Those numbers are done with a GTX280 I believe.

I am also incredulous about it. However, TH released a second article proving their results. AM3 + Phenom II are stronger in real world scenarios.

"If this is still a graphical bottleneck for the GeForce GTX 280, then our conclusion from the AM3 launch holds true, and the Phenom II really is faster in real-world gaming scenarios." link

I have a hard time recommending an AMD rig, specially after my horrible experience with the original Phenom. However, those numbers seem to indicate AMD turned around big time. In any case, the Core 2 Duo is also an excellent choice, and is cheaper than the AM3 + Ph2 combo.

Anbother quote, and the one that convinced me of building and X3 rig for my brother:

"The X3 720 Black Edition looks to be a great enthusiast CPU for those on a budget that are looking for some very solid performance in the gaming arena. Match it up with some inexpensive DDR3-1333, which should be fairly easy to do since AMD’s internal memory controlling is not as restricting as Intel’s in terms of voltage, and you can have yourself a scorching 3.5GHz barebones gaming system easily around $400 sans the video card. " This one by the AMD haters themselves, [H] .
Apparently there is a way to get the DDr3+CPU+AM3 mobo combo for $400, but I haven't read the article that much.

Also, what do you mean by 22nm all the way? I am lost there.

BlackGoku03 said:

Most of my play time so far has been in Mass Effect, and the performance has been excellent. I play at 1440x900, everything is turned as high as it can go. I did turn dynamic shadows off, but that was because I didn't like it, not because it affected performance. I don't have fraps, but I've never noticed any significant frame skipping or screen tearing. Loading is super fast as well.

I've also played some LoTRO on ultra high, with the high-res texture client with all the DX10 features. Again, no performance complaints - the only slow down I do get is due to network lag.

I also have Bioshock, prey, and the orange box games if you want to know specifics on them, but I haven't booted them up since I built the new machine (just a few weeks ago now).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
godhandiscen said:
According to Toms Hardware the Phenom II X3 is faster than the Core 2 Duo and the Cor i7 with a single GPU configuration. Notice the X3 isnt even OC'd there. Those numbers are done with a GTX280 I believe.

It's hard to recommend imo when the Core 2 stays within 1% of the results of the more expensive Phenom II. (At realistic resolutions according to Tom's Hardware)

I will stick with my Core 2 Duo, maybe upgrade to a Core 2 Quad if need be, until Intel/AMD releases the better 22nm CPU.

JudgeN

BlackGoku03 said:

Na man an overclocked processor will last forever and a stock Q6600 is only 2.4 gig. I thought video editing was processor heavy so your going to want more speed and if you want to play Crysis/Far Cry2/etc you will need at least 3.2Gig on your processor. All Q6600 now a days are GO stepping and will hit 3.2 easy without much work at all. Here is a cheaper motherboard that is also a pretty good overclocker so when the time come and you want to overclock you will be able too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128345

I would really recommend a good CPU fan, even if you don't want to overclock it now. In a few years you might want to for the extra performance. Here our a couple of great Quad fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185074

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608002 (This is my fan and I love it but its expensive.)

The HD4850 is a great GPU but you can find it cheaper then that, try other makers. But it will run whatever you want to play.

Tideas

Banned
For DD3, couldn't you just save cost by buying 4 gig (2 x 2gig) of DDR3 sticks? And then buy the 3rd one down the road?

godhandiscen

Hazaro said:
It's hard to recommend imo when the Core 2 stays within 1% of the results of the more expensive Phenom II. (At realistic resolutions according to Tom's Hardware)

I will stick with my Core 2 Duo, maybe upgrade to a Core 2 Quad if need be, until Intel/AMD releases the better 22nm CPU.
If I had a Core 2 Duo, there would be no reason to upgrade. Specially if my processor could OC as much as yours. However, my old setup couldn't break 2.9GHz and was slower per core clock. Also, I thought Intel's new processor was 32nm.

Tideas said:
For DD3, couldn't you just save cost by buying 4 gig (2 x 2gig) of DDR3 sticks? And then buy the 3rd one down the road?
3x1GB DDR3 perform better than 2x2GB DDR3. The reason is beacuse it is triple channel memory, and you will only be using 2 channels in the latter.

So it looks like my RAM is holding back my overclock because even at 3.4 on my Phenom 2. It blue screens while playing Lost Planet.
Ive got the Cheap Corsair XMS at 800.

I was thinking of getting some ddr 2-1066.

Any idea what the best memory and any tips to get this thing running better.

gamerecks said:
Well, yeah. The mobo im looking at has DDR3 support, but only 4 mem slots. Im wondering if just popping in 3, and leaving one empty will still allow for triple channel setup.
You talking a 1366 X58 board or a 775 P45 board?

Slavik81

gamerecks said:
Well, yeah. The mobo im looking at has DDR3 support, but only 4 mem slots. Im wondering if just popping in 3, and leaving one empty will still allow for triple channel setup.
Doubtful. That sounds like your motherboard only partly supports it.
But, it would be nice to hear from someone more sure about themselves than I am.

K.Jack said:
These are the latest plans I have for both companies:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h204/killer-ra/random%20nonimportant%20stuff/roadmap_gpu_19_11_650bgpx.png[IMG]
So maybe not too long.[/QUOTE]
Ah, thanks. Looks like I'll probably hold off for the DX11 stuff.

--

Regarding DDR3: Isn't 2x2GB of DDR3 faster than 2x2GB of DDR2?

Tideas

Banned
godhandiscen said:
3x1GB DDR3 perform better than 2x2GB DDR3. The reason is beacuse it is triple channel memory, and you will only be using 2 channels in the latter.

Right, but how much performance drop are we looking at here? 2 fps? 3 fps?

Even if it's triple channel, I would think 4 gb would means you'll eb able to run more applications than just 3g.

Unless trple channel 3 g >> double channel 4 gb

godhandiscen

Tideas said:
Right, but how much performance drop are we looking at here? 2 fps? 3 fps?

Even if it's triple channel, I would think 4 gb would means you'll eb able to run more applications than just 3g.

We are talking about you running a single game. Now, if you are going to run a game, with applications in the background for easy alt+tabbing, then the safest is 4GB.

Ranger X

What do you guys think about Malwarebytes as a free Anti-Virus prog?

I was using AVG and it seems that it didn't caught some spyware that is now on my PC because my Window Live Messenger is sending publicity around...

zoku88

Tideas said:
In no way is this true at the moment. The bandwidth of dual channel isn't even fully tapped, no way is triple channel really tapped. More is better in this case.

EDIT: The thing about RAM is that the bandwidth is already pretty good for nowaday uses. The thing that is lacking is actually the latency. That's the reason why processors need a cache in the first place (low latency memory.) Triple channel actually increases the latency going from dual channel.

godhandiscen said:

I am also incredulous about it. However, TH released a second article proving their results. AM3 + Phenom II are stronger in real world scenarios.

"If this is still a graphical bottleneck for the GeForce GTX 280, then our conclusion from the AM3 launch holds true, and the Phenom II really is faster in real-world gaming scenarios." link

I have a hard time recommending an AMD rig, specially after my horrible experience with the original Phenom. However, those numbers seem to indicate AMD turned around big time. In any case, the Core 2 Duo is also an excellent choice, and is cheaper than the AM3 + Ph2 combo.

Anbother quote, and the one that convinced me of building and X3 rig for my brother:

"The X3 720 Black Edition looks to be a great enthusiast CPU for those on a budget that are looking for some very solid performance in the gaming arena. Match it up with some inexpensive DDR3-1333, which should be fairly easy to do since AMD’s internal memory controlling is not as restricting as Intel’s in terms of voltage, and you can have yourself a scorching 3.5GHz barebones gaming system easily around $400 sans the video card. " This one by the AMD haters themselves, [H] .
Apparently there is a way to get the DDr3+CPU+AM3 mobo combo for $400, but I haven't read the article that much.

I've been doing some reading on the Phenom II and it looks like these can overlock to 4GHZ safely with just air cooling? That's pretty amazing if true.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
godhandiscen said:
If I had a Core 2 Duo, there would be no reason to upgrade. Specially if my processor could OC as much as yours. However, my old setup couldn't break 2.9GHz and was slower per core clock. Also, I thought Intel's new processor was 32nm.

Intel/AMD's next should be 32nm. I'll most likely be skipping that and waiting on 22nm.

It all depends on what Intel does with it's integrated GPU and how it approaches the CPU core aspect of it. Additionally if Intel runs into fab problems on 22nm (theoretical limit of modern electronics) then I'd pick up 32nm.

DDR3 performance is mainly just for benches. There's almost no performance gain. (2-5% real world)
It's also $100 more expensive for LESS RAM.
MWS Natural said:
I've been doing some reading on the Phenom II and it looks like these can overlock to 4GHZ safely with just air cooling? That's pretty amazing if true.
More like 3.5Ghz. 4Ghz is way way too high to call safe air cooling even with a TRUE.

Lastone

Neo Member
Hey guys just put together my first computer:D! Congrats to me!

Anyways the motherboard comes with a vga slot which i need for my old crt monitor. When i installed a radeon 4670 does that mean the motherboard can't output video at all? I tried it and it powered on but didn't get any signal in the vga.

Top Bottom