• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Ashhong

found a great deal on a Dell Vostro today and am thinking of buying it barebones and upgrading a few things (ram, GPU) and just had a couple questions.

First off, what do you guys think of this? keep in mind im going on strong right now with a P4 2.66ghz, 2.5gb ram, 256mb radeion x700 thats about 5 years old. so i dont need something super awesome as i do make things last.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7400 (2.8GHz, 3M, L2Cache, 1066FSB)
FreeOS
1GB Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz - 1DIMMs
- planning on upgrading with http://shop1.frys.com/product/5530560
Single Drive: 16X (DVD+/-RW) Burner Drive
80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
- taking this out and putting in my 2x250gb harddrives i have now
Integrated Video, Intel® GMA X4500HD

before upgrades and other strategiesthings this will only run me about 100-150 bucks. That should be pretty good right? well, except the GPU and 1gb ram obviously. I just want to be able to play L4D, SC2, Diablo 3, and HL2 without hiccups.

so my main question now is what gpu should i get? i want to only spend around 100-150 after rebates, preferably nvidia. is it even a good time to buy a card? i can wait a bit for the card and live with the integrated graphics until it is.

hows this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130363
or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130420

will the "superclocked" trait be an issue at all? i dont know if my PC is capable of dual slot cards...hopefully it is. thanks

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Raw64life said:
So I went to Corsair.com and they say I can test my power supply to see if it works with a paper clip. I did those instructions, and apparently my power supply is indeed busted. The eventual snowball effect of having to open my computer and mess around with it has led to me not only only needing a new power supply, but also me wanting to get a new video card. I was looking at this, but I was wondering if it would do any damage to my current motherboard. Also, if I were to get a new motherboard, would my current RAM be compatible with it?

Edit: Thanks for the info moogle. I'm pretty sure I can't get a refund at this point unless every Corsair PSU comes with the warranty because I'm pretty sure I didn't ask for one. Even if I can get it replaced, I'm pretty sure it would just blow out again, so I think a new one is the way to go for me.
RMA with Corsair. They have a 5 year warranty with great customer support for a reason.

Just stick a GTX 260 or 4850 in there and you are set.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:
found a great deal on a Dell Vostro today and am thinking of buying it barebones and upgrading a few things (ram, GPU) and just had a couple questions.

I just want to be able to play L4D, SC2, Diablo 3, and HL2 without hiccups.

so my main question now is what gpu should i get? i want to only spend around 100-150 after rebates, preferably nvidia. is it even a good time to buy a card? i can wait a bit for the card and live with the integrated graphics until it is.[/url]

will the "superclocked" trait be an issue at all? i dont know if my PC is capable of dual slot cards...hopefully it is. thanks
9600GT = 8800GT = 3870 Approximately

MSI: $22 cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127362
eVGA: $0 cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130445

No dual slots, plus no need for them.
Superclocked just means it's factory overclocked and under warranty for those clock speeds.
Those will be great for the games you listed. Max settings at 1680x1050 should be a nice change of pace :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Chairhome

Chairhome said:
So, I sold some old games off and now I think I'm ready to upgrade my Video Card.

I'm thinking of getting this 4870 and this power supply. I was thinking about going for the 1GB version of the 4870, but I don't want to overdo it, I think the 512MB should be fine for some decent gaming. Correct me if I'm wrong! Just wanted some thoughts on my selections, thanks guys, this thread is great.

Also, do any of you usually opt for the newegg extended warranties, or should I just stick with the manufacturer's warranty?

Hi, sorry to re-ask, but if anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Hazaro said:
Good board, doesn't like overclocking quads so much though.

Intel boards are supposedly overall better if you aren't planning to go with SLi, but I haven't had any experience with SLi boards.

Thanks for the quick response. Initially I'm not planning on running any type of SLI setup but wanted to keep the option open when upgrading the PC I could just drop another video card in.

Gleeky

Looking to get rid of my 37inch westinghouse.

Need something $400-$500. Also needs to have VGA/HDMI/DVI (Component is a +).
24 to 26 inches would be perfect I think.

PC/360 games, reg computer use, and lots of high def video/images.

Gleeky said:

=( I'm posting on my 37inch Westy right now.

Gleeky

MWS Natural said:
=( I'm posting on my 37inch Westy right now.

haha, I just want something smaller. Plus I got one of the bunked Westinghouse's a year ago. Wrong firmware, my 37 thinks it's a 42.. :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MWS Natural said:
Thanks for the quick response. Initially I'm not planning on running any type of SLI setup but wanted to keep the option open when upgrading the PC I could just drop another video card in.
By the time you want to upgrade a new single slot card will be more than twice as powerful while using less energy and producing less heat without any SLi issues. It's only for top end.

bdouble

Gleeky said:

I was in the same situation just now. My old 19" lcd died and had to order a new monitor. I plan to use it for PS3, maybe a Wii (could have gotten Component but VGA adapter will work) and of course a PC.

It came down to the BenQ G2400WD and Asus VW266H

I ordered the BenQ G2400WD from NCIX and it was 370 shipped with a no dead pixel guarantee. For me it seemed like the best all around monitor. Having little input lag and also a lot of praise for image quality. I almost bit on the Asus because of its slightly larger screen and more inputs. So reluctantly I was going to take the risk and order it from Newegg. Later found out I entered my CC number wrong. Good thing because I was hesitant of Neweggs shitty LCD RMA policy anyways (must have 8 or more dead pixels for it to be defective). Then I found the BenQ on NCIX for a much better price and no worries.

Might also want to check out the Samsung T260

Basically I read Hardforum and the AnandTech LCD guide for all my research. Really depends on just what you want to use it for. Image quality with and IPS panel or faster response with the TN.

Ashhong

Hazaro said:
9600GT = 8800GT = 3870 Approximately

MSI: $22 cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127362
eVGA: $0 cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130445

No dual slots, plus no need for them.
Superclocked just means it's factory overclocked and under warranty for those clock speeds.
Those will be great for the games you listed. Max settings at 1680x1050 should be a nice change of pace :)

i feel like that isnt future proof enough and will be outdated soon. i dont need top of the line, but something pretty good.

is this one worth the extra 40 bucks? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130420 or what about an extra 50 bucks to upgrade the 9600gt to a 1gb 9600gt?

but i read something about refreshes coming in Q1 09, and current cards going down. has that already happened? cause i can wait..

and you mentioned "no dual slots, plus no need for them." were you saying my computer wont be able to hold dual slots? or that i shouldnt bother with dual slots. thanks

Guys, my build is about done. Just waiting on Hard drives and my monitor.

Switched ram for Reaper HPC 800Mhz.

One question though.... I need a gaming mouse....

Must be wired, no bluetooth or other wireless technology.

Logitech G5 good or Razer DeathAdder?

Friend ordered the following:

Q9550 (e0, i hope)
4gb G.Skill Ram (giving it to him as gift)
4870 512mb
EP45 Gigabyte mobo
Tuniq Tower 120
accessories and games
-----------------------------------------------
I am planning to OC that cpu close to 4Ghz. I am pretty sure I will be able to since that mobo is a overclocking beast and that cpu is known to overclock like mad. wish me luck.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:
i feel like that isnt future proof enough and will be outdated soon. i dont need top of the line, but something pretty good.

is this one worth the extra 40 bucks? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130420 or what about an extra 50 bucks to upgrade the 9600gt to a 1gb 9600gt?

but i read something about refreshes coming in Q1 09, and current cards going down. has that already happened? cause i can wait..

and you mentioned "no dual slots, plus no need for them." were you saying my computer wont be able to hold dual slots? or that i shouldnt bother with dual slots. thanks
It's not worth the extra $40 or $50.
Cards are down already since AMD and Nvidia are playing price wars again. They might drop soon, but the performance you get for $150 is incredible now.

Which leads me to my next point. At $85 I'd buy a 9600GT over a 4830 personally. Next step up is clearly ATi's 4850, at $150. There's no real inbetween.

A 9600GT will play those games you listed flawlessly, but if you want some more power a 4850 will do you good.

Ashhong

Hazaro said:
It's not worth the extra $40 or $50.
Cards are down already since AMD and Nvidia are playing price wars again. They might drop soon, but the performance you get for $150 is incredible now.

Which leads me to my next point. At $85 I'd buy a 9600GT over a 4830 personally. Next step up is clearly ATi's 4850, at $150. There's no real inbetween.

A 9600GT will play those games you listed flawlessly, but if you want some more power a 4850 will do you good.

thanks, whats the nvidia equivalent to a 4850? for no reason i just like nvidia lol

Ashhong

I got a real deal on a Q9550 with 4GB DDR3 so I'll didn't go with an i7 920. My build consists of a Sapphire Radeon 4870 1GB, a zalman ultra quiet cpu cooler (this fan is huge) on an Intel Extreme series DX48BT2 mobo. The problem I'm having is finding a PC case where the GPU will fit. I've looked at a few antec cases and it wouldn't fit in most. I am completely unsure on the thermaltake cases and the lian li ones seem over priced with cheap thin aluminum despite lian li having a good reputation. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ashhong said:
so then something like this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127392

if that one is similar to the 4850, how come hazaro says the 4850 is a step up but the 9800gtx isnt worth it?

edit: dont know about getting an overclocked one because im putting it into a dell with minimal fans and a small tower..maybe this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130416
In alot of games where Nvidia is preferred the GTX beats the 4850. I think the only games where the 4850 gets the edge is in source games. Though the GTX probably eats up alot of watt.

VeritasVierge said:
I got a real deal on a Q9550 with 4GB DDR3 so I'll didn't go with an i7 920. My build consists of a Sapphire Radeon 4870 1GB, a zalman ultra quiet cpu cooler (this fan is huge) on an Intel Extreme series DX48BT2 mobo. The problem I'm having is finding a PC case where the GPU will fit. I've looked at a few antec cases and it wouldn't fit in most. I am completely unsure on the thermaltake cases and the lian li ones seem over priced with cheap thin aluminum despite lian li having a good reputation. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Cool Master 690. Have just built two systems using it and it has MORE than enough room for 4870's, 285's and 295's either in single, SLi or Cross-Fire. Can't go wrong. Fry's.com usually has them for about $70 bucks + shipping.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:
so then something like this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127392

if that one is similar to the 4850, how come hazaro says the 4850 is a step up but the 9800gtx isnt worth it?

edit: dont know about getting an overclocked one because im putting it into a dell with minimal fans and a small tower..maybe this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130416
Because it's not worth the $135 AR when a 4850 is faster at the same price.

If you want nvidia then you get a cheapo 9600GT or a GTX 260 :lol

VictimOfGrief said:
Cool Master 690. Have just built two systems using it and it has MORE than enough room for 4870's, 285's and 295's either in single, SLi or Cross-Fire. Can't go wrong. Fry's.com usually has them for about $70 bucks + shipping.
Thanks. That will work great.

Chiggs said:
You didn't look at the Antec 1200?
I honestly hate how it looks. It's so gaudy.

Ashhong

im on the verge of ordering. can someone answer my above question and also this:

my dell system, without gpu and ram upgrades is going to cost about 60 bucks. for 55 bucks more is it worth it to upgrade the process from

ntel® Core™ 2 Duo E7400 (2.8GHz, 3M, L2Cache, 1066FSB)

to

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 (3.0GHz, 6M, L2Cache, 1333FSB)

it sounds cheap until i see that its basically doubles my cost.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:
im on the verge of ordering. can someone answer my above question and also this:

my dell system, without gpu and ram upgrades is going to cost about 60 bucks. for 55 bucks more is it worth it to upgrade the process from

ntel® Core™ 2 Duo E7400 (2.8GHz, 3M, L2Cache, 1066FSB)

to

Would you be willing to spend $55 more on your computer?

If so then you should put it towards graphics instead.

I'd also buy this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161259
Standard return policy means 1 yr for replacement

Ashhong

Hazaro said:
Would you be willing to spend $55 more on your computer?

If so then you should put it towards graphics instead.

I'd also buy this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161259
Standard return policy means 1 yr for replacement

thanks on the gpu recommendation, ill be buying that.

i wouldnt be willing to spend more on gpu, since this one seems so good. if the 55$ for the processor upgrade isnt worth it i wont get it. just thought it might be necessary to keeping this computer running fast for a while

Ashhong said:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7400 (2.8GHz, 3M, L2Cache, 1066FSB)

to

Alright I re-read your top post about the system, did some checking and here's my honest no bullshit opinions....

Go with the E8400 as that will last you longer (as the Dell boards have no OC abilities), has more cache, higher FSB and generally is a solid, tested and true processor. Secondly, your qualms on the the graphics cards....

I say go with the eVGA 9800GT card... or even 9600GT card... register the card and get in the queue for the step-up program for the difference of the price you paid for your first card you can get a newer card later down the line (90 days later....).

That said--- 9800GT =/= 4850 are about the same performance in most games. One thing I'm not sure about is if the Vostro comes with a 6-pin/8-pin PCI-E power connector (which you may have covered above... and I missed...) but you will want to think about a solid 450/520W PSU upgrade down the line to have a at least 2 x 6-pin PCI-E pins or at least a 6-pin and an 8-pin for future graphics cards (which is going to be your most cost effective upgrade down the road).

Also--- Memory--- 2x2GB G.Skill, OCZ, Corsair are great picks. If you get the E8400, make sure you get at least 1066 Memory (or faster) as that will maximize your memory bandwidth.

So anyways--- that's my opinion. If you're looking to get into a Vostro for what... $600-$700 bucks... add another $250 (max) for upgrades including memory, vid card and PSU for added stability and a well rounded system.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
VictimOfGrief said:
Go with the E8400 as that will last you longer (as the Dell boards have no OC abilities), has more cache, higher FSB and generally is a solid, tested and true processor.
Every current processor is solid true and tested. I wouldn't upgrade it since it's only 0.2Ghz more and that $55 can be spend on a quad down the line later if he needs it. Cache @ 3MB is fine for just about everything current. We see diminishing returns after 2MB.
I say go with the eVGA 9800GT card... or even 9600GT card... register the card and get in the queue for the step-up program for the difference of the price you paid for your first card you can get a newer card later down the line (90 days later....).
Step-up is great, but you shouldn't buy a card just for that.
If you get the E8400, make sure you get at least 1066 Memory (or faster) as that will maximize your memory bandwidth.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-speed-tests,1807-10.html
Only 800Mhz is needed, faster memory does almost nothing. Most of the time <2% change, if you are lucky it can hit 5-7% in some applications like winrar.

garath

VeritasVierge said:

The Lian Li cases are anything but cheap thin aluminum. They are easily the most robust and well built cases I've ever used. I have a lian li PC60 type case (honestly it's been so long I can't remember the exact model number) that is still as flawless as the day I bought it. It's been going strong for well over 7 years. I've built machines for friends that used other brands and I'm never as happy. I got myself a standard steel case (computer show, can't remember the brand) for a second computer on the cheap and hated it. The Lian Li was around $180 when I bought it but worth every penny.

I just recently bought a GTX260 (10.5" card) and it fits. It's a little snug lengthwise, but it fits.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
VeritasVierge said:
The problem I'm having is finding a PC case where the GPU will fit. I've looked at a few antec cases and it wouldn't fit in most. I am completely unsure on the thermaltake cases and the lian li ones seem over priced with cheap thin aluminum despite lian li having a good reputation. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Lian Li is great, but expensive.
I'd go for the CM 690.

Ashhong

VictimOfGrief said:
Alright I re-read your top post about the system, did some checking and here's my honest no bullshit opinions....

Go with the E8400 as that will last you longer (as the Dell boards have no OC abilities), has more cache, higher FSB and generally is a solid, tested and true processor. Secondly, your qualms on the the graphics cards....

That said--- 9800GT =/= 4850 are about the same performance in most games. One thing I'm not sure about is if the Vostro comes with a 6-pin/8-pin PCI-E power connector (which you may have covered above... and I missed...) but you will want to think about a solid 450/520W PSU upgrade down the line to have a at least 2 x 6-pin PCI-E pins or at least a 6-pin and an 8-pin for future graphics cards (which is going to be your most cost effective upgrade down the road).

Also--- Memory--- 2x2GB G.Skill, OCZ, Corsair are great picks. If you get the E8400, make sure you get at least 1066 Memory (or faster) as that will maximize your memory bandwidth.

So anyways--- that's my opinion. If you're looking to get into a Vostro for what... $600-$700 bucks... add another $250 (max) for upgrades including memory, vid card and PSU for added stability and a well rounded system.

thanks for the opinions. im torn on the processor, but leaning towards getting the 8400. i dont plan on upgrading to a quad core anytime soon so i might spend just a little more to make this setup last that much longer.

the step up program does sound great. but im wondering if there will be that much better cards available 90 days later. and dont i have to buy from EVGA, which means higher prices? does the step up program reset after i use it once so i can upgrade in another 90 days?

definitely upgrading the PSU after i get this. and from what i can tell, my pc can only take 800mhz ram anyway? i think..

just an estimate, but with a 9800gtx+ or 4850, 4 gig ram upgrade, and processor upgrade, the whole system should cost under 300 bucks. not bad?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:
thanks for the opinions. im torn on the processor, but leaning towards getting the 8400. i dont plan on upgrading to a quad core anytime soon so i might spend just a little more to make this setup last that much longer.

the step up program does sound great. but im wondering if there will be that much better cards available 90 days later. and dont i have to buy from EVGA, which means higher prices? does the step up program reset after i use it once so i can upgrade in another 90 days?

definitely upgrading the PSU after i get this. just an estimate, but with a 9800gtx+ or 4850, 4 gig ram upgrade, and processor upgrade, the whole system should cost under 300 bucks. not bad?
eVGA prices are usually a bit higher yes.
E7xxx are great processors, you don't need to spend the extra money. I have one myself and have directly compared it to a E8400.

9800GTX+ is not worth the money. If you are going to spend $145 like I said, get the 4850 instead.

See:
hl2-1680.gif
(Tech Report)
9600GT is about the 55ish mark.

Ashhong

Hazaro said:
E7xxx are great processors, you don't need to spend the extra money. I have one myself and have directly compared it to a E8400.

9800GTX+ is not worth the money. If you are going to spend $145 like I said, get the 4850 instead.

See:
hl2-1680.gif
(Tech Report)

aw thats it? forget that...definitely getting the 4850. thanks

Anybody know a good case that can cool well but isnt an assload of money?

Im close to biting the bullet on buying a new rig but the government keeps pushing back my tax refund.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
gamerecks said:
Anybody know a good case that can cool well but isnt an assload of money?

Im close to biting the bullet on buying a new rig but the government keeps pushing back my tax refund.
CM 690

jmdajr

Upgraded my PentiumD with a q9650. (First stand alone cpu I have ever bought.)
Damn, it pretty much doubled the performance of my ram and video card instantaneously.:lol

Chris R

I know this thread is mostly about getting the most performance out of your PC at any given time, but I have a different problem. I'd love to UNDERclock my PC when I'm not gaming, and then be able to turn it up when I need to. I have a program that lets me do this on my laptop(run 400Mhz for most of the time, kicks up to 1.73Ghz when I start a game), but I haven't been able to find anything really that works for my PC. Anyone have any suggestion for a P45/Quad Core PC?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rhfb said:
I know this thread is mostly about getting the most performance out of your PC at any given time, but I have a different problem. I'd love to UNDERclock my PC when I'm not gaming, and then be able to turn it up when I need to. I have a program that lets me do this on my laptop(run 400Mhz for most of the time, kicks up to 1.73Ghz when I start a game), but I haven't been able to find anything really that works for my PC. Anyone have any suggestion for a P45/Quad Core PC?
All I can say is to use C1E or speedstepping.
I'm sure there is something for it.

jmdajr

Hazaro said:

See:
hl2-1680.gif
(Tech Report)

last I read if you are going to get a 9600, you might as well get a 4830 which is like a 9800/8800gt except for 90 bucks instead of 120.

link

Still like Nvidia though. It's amazing the encoding you can do with those cuda enabled geforce graphic cards.I doubled my video encoding speed of h.264 using that Badaboom software. It's also pretty cool for doing folding at home on the pc. While the ps3 takes like 8 hours, this only takes 4 hours!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
jmdajr said:
last I read if you are going to get a 9600, you might as well get a 4830 which is like a 9800/8800gt except for 90 bucks instead of 120.

link

Also it's amazing the encoding you can do with those cuda enabled geforce graphics cards.
I doubled my video encoding speed of h.264 using that Badaboom software. It's also pretty cool for doing folding at home on the pc. While the ps3 takes like 8 hours, this only takes 4 hours.
I've never liked the aftermarket coolers on ATi, dealing with firmware, or game specific bugs. The 9600GT is a wholly personal choice, the 4830 is a fantastic card.
Obviously this is just me and may be untrue for people, don't get riled up now...

hl2-1680.gif

jmdajr

Hazaro said:
I've never liked the aftermarket coolers on ATi, dealing with firmware, or game specific bugs. The 9600GT is a wholly personal choice, the 4830 is a fantastic card.

I currently have an 8800gt and its great. Cost me 110 bucks only.
Was thinking of getting a 9600gt for my 2nd pcix16 slot for tv out. (no sli on my mobo)
However, I think I might just get another 9800/8800 for a bit more.
OR, go the other extreme route and just get a 9400 and save moneys.

Top Bottom