• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Do all ATI cards run hot? Seems like every usver review I read a comment is made about the temps on them. I am thinking about taking the plunge on a 4870 at the end of this month/beginning of next but I am a bit concerned about the temps in my case.

MWS Natural said:
Do all ATI cards run hot? Seems like every usver review I read a comment is made about the temps on them. I am thinking about taking the plunge on a 4870 at the end of this month/beginning of next but I am a bit concerned about the temps in my case.

Choose a card with coolng that pumps the heat out of the back of your case and you'll be fine.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Metalic Sand said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150007
So i noticed you can buy 10 of these for $12.90 shipped :lol
I did that and I'll tell you it wasn't worth it, but it sure was interesting :lol

I went though my FANS phase and all you need is a nice intake/out and something on your HSF.

I'd get some nice 120x38mm that have around 60CFM (see my pic on last page). 38mm generates more pressure than the thinner 25mm (Standard). Anything over 60CFM is a bit too noisy imo.
I've had 115 and 205 CFM's run in my case before. Temp dropped around 2 or 3 on CPU, a little more for overall system, but not worth the noise.

If you don't really care just get some Yate Loons from Petra's Tech Shop
MWS Natural said:
Yes ATi cards run hot.
Don't be concerned about case temps if you have a 120 in and out and no cables blocking everything. If you do, just get a stronger fan (or 38mm).

I had a 8800GT with an Accelero S1 which basically dumped heat into my case and temps didn't budge at all (Stayed around 22/23C). Even if the case was smaller you wouldn't see much of an increase.
http://www.overclock.net/attachment...accelero-s1-fan-mod-lots-dsc01158-medium-.jpg

Just get the card that is the best value for your money.

Crisco

Banned
It's odd to me that none of the big high end case manufacturers have tried to make a SFF case with perfomance/overlocking in mind. It would have to use some sort of custom made built-in water cooling or TEC solution to make up for the lack of size and keep it relatively quiet. But man, an SFF case that could give you the same thermal performance of a full tower would be a hit with the hardcore pc gaming/lanparty community I bet. They could charge whatever they wanted for that thing. I'd probably pay upwards of $400 for a such a beast myself.

Crisco said:
It's odd to me that none of the big high end case manufacturers have tried to make a SFF case with perfomance/overlocking in mind. It would have to use some sort of custom made built-in water cooling or TEC solution to make up for the lack of size and keep it relatively quiet. But man, an SFF case that could give you the same thermal performance of a full tower would be a hit with the hardcore pc gaming/lanparty community I bet. They could charge whatever they wanted for that thing. I'd probably pay upwards of $400 for a such a beast myself.

http://www.pcdesignlab.com/Product-Qv2E

Minsc

Gold Member
MWS Natural said:

I have to say, that site is run by a extremely friendly person. I'm now seriously considering getting one of those boxes, and even letting them put it together for me (they will build anything you like, just e-mail them what you want in the box). I think a SFF might be a little too ambitious for me (as it involves a bit more modding than typical), I haven't done any building in ages, but I love the reduced footprint of a SFF.

Here's some pics of that new Qv2E from a recent system they built (note the full sized 10.5" ATI 4870):

LB-02.jpg

LB-03.jpg

LB-04.jpg

And here's a shot of the machine temp's (remember it's SFF core i7)

LB-10.jpg

Pretty damn good for an i7 with all that crap stuffed in there! The thread this is from is over on their forums here.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Crisco said:
Contact a few guys who make custom cases then. Check out a few overclocking forums.
I'm not sure if Nox still does (Nos?)

*Wow the interior of that is so slick, along with all the cable management :eek:

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, I looked at that case. I wish there was more information about it on the web, and the website didn't look sketch as hell. Really gives off a "basement shop" vibe. I'd love something like this from someone with a decent reputation (or any reputation) like Cooler Master. It looks nice enough but you have no idea what you're getting from a quality standpoint.

Wow, that SFF build looks damn excellent, I can understand why you'd pay a small premium to get the job done professionally like that when you're limited in space. That's a really nice setup.

Minsc

Gold Member
Crisco said:
Yeah, I looked at that case. I wish there was more information about it on the web, and the website didn't look sketch as hell. Really gives off a "basement shop" vibe. I'd love something like this from someone with a decent reputation (or any reputation) like Cooler Master. It looks nice enough but you have no idea what you're getting from a quality standpoint.

Anandtech reviewed them a while back, and gave them a favorable review for quality of materials and said you couldn't ask for higher quality parts. I really don't know how you could get a "basement shop" vibe from that site, I get a small business with extremely dedicated owner vibe. Since they are putting in the exact retail parts you request, really all they are doing is sparing you the mod work of hacking apart things to fit in a SFF, and organizing and fitting it all in, while still maintaining a nice air flow.

Hell I mean, all the parts in your machine are covered by the actual warranties of the parts. So if your video card goes bad, you just deal with whatever warranty your video card has (most are lifetime limited), same for RAM etc. They do you the favor of testing all the parts for compatibility as well.

If you read that thread I linked above, you'll see they ordered RAM that didn't work with the mATX board, so they went through the trouble of replacing it to get compatible RAM. They said it was just a picky board, but the point is, all these problems are things you'd be dealing with yourself, so better for them to do it and ship you the working box I say. :)

I guess to each their own, but I'd take a PC from these guys over most of the bigger companies that magazines review like Maingear, Falcon NW, CyberPower, or even Dell or HP.

They claim they don't mark up their prices hardly at all for building systems, and that they just "enjoy it," so I asked them for a quote - so we'll see. They said the new boxes they manufactured aren't coming in for another 2 weeks, so I will get my price then to accurately reflect the market as prices can change from week to week.

Crisco said:

Not sure what research you really did but I found nothing but praise about pcdesignlab when I was researching SFF cases a month back. I would have went with a Qmicra case but the price tag was a bit too steep and I like the sleek style of the lanbox over the more industrial look of the Qmicra. I have spoken with the designer on numerous ocassions an he couldn't be more of a nice guy who is willing to work with you for a reasonable build price.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Minsc said:
I have to say, that site is run by a extremely friendly person. I'm now seriously considering getting one of those boxes, and even letting them put it together for me (they will build anything you like, just e-mail them what you want in the box). I think a SFF might be a little too ambitious for me (as it involves a bit more modding than typical), I haven't done any building in ages, but I love the reduced footprint of a SFF.

Here's some pics of that new Qv2E from a recent system they built (note the full sized 10.5" ATI 4870):

http://www.31012.com/images/games/09/LB-02.jpg
http://www.31012.com/images/games/09/LB-03.jpg
http://www.31012.com/images/games/09/LB-04.jpg

And here's a shot of the machine temp's (remember it's SFF core i7)

LB-10.jpg

Pretty damn good for an i7 with all that crap stuffed in there! The thread this is from is over on their forums here.

I would say those are bad idle temperatures if there is no OC on the i7 920. I get those temps on idle after OC'ing. Also, the TRUE pointing the exhaust air towards the videocard is a terrible choice imo, and you can tell from the graph which shows you the 4870 temps. I have experience with the 4870x2 but I would assume it applies.
Minsc said:
I guess to each their own, but I'd take a PC from these guys over most of the bigger companies that magazines review like Maingear, Falcon NW, CyberPower, or even Dell or HP.

CyberPower is awful imo, Dell is way too expensive, and their cases don't have great airflow unless you go for their top shit with a double camera watercooling system. HP... lawl. I would say build it yourself and see the difference.

edit: After reading the forums, I gotta give it to him, the guy is a PRO. I still don't like the SSF design though.

Minsc

Gold Member
godhandiscen said:
I would say those are bad idle temperatures if there is no OC on the i7 920. I get those temps on idle after OC'ing. Also, the TRUE pointing the exhaust air towards the videocard is a terrible choice imo, and you can tell from the graph which shows you the 4870 temps. I have experience with the 4870x2 but I would assume it applies.

CyberPower is awful imo, Dell is way too expensive, and their cases don't have great airflow unless you go for their top shit with a double camera watercooling system. HP... lawl. I would say build it yourself and see the difference.

edit: After reading the forums, I gotta give it to him, the guy is a PRO. I still don't like the SSF design though.

How much lower should a core i7 run idle? I know it's got to be a little higher in a SFF, given how packed that case is, but my Athlon 64 runs a whole 30C higher, 68C idle, and I'm sure my GPU is pretty high as well.

godhandiscen

Minsc said:
How much lower should a core i7 run idle? I know it's got to be a little higher in a SFF, given how packed that case is, but my Athlon 64 runs a whole 30C higher, 68C idle, and I'm sure my GPU is pretty high as well.
Around 5 degrees, which transform into a bigger difference while under load.

Well idle temperatures have never really mattered anyway. Whats important is whether the cooling can keep it to a modest temperature while under load.

zbarron

Minsc said:
My i7 920 clocked at 3.6Ghz on the stock cooler is idling at 48C. After a 45 minute session of Left 4 Dead it never got above 75C. When I tried the blend test in Prime 95 it went up to 85C. That's probably higher than I should keep it at.

let me check what I get at stock.

45C idle. Go figure.

_Angelus_

Banned
I plan to order sometime tonight. Its between these two cards.

HIS 1 Gig 4870 card card with OC ready to go
out of the box,with IceQ4+ Turbo cooler in it,
2 year warranty,$190.00 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161264

Then there's the Sapphire Toxic 1 Gig 4870 card,OC on the go,no cooler,1 year warranty,$220.00 total
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102815

Ok from what I've read both have easy Ocing built in,I would like to go with the Sapphire brand since I've read they have slightly better build quality,but the price and no cooler leaves me abit miffed. I have stock fans and a standard HP PC case(550 Watt Corsair power supply btw) so the IceQ4+ Turbo cooler on the HIS card sounds more of a safer bet for OCing.

How's the build on the HIS though. And does it have the same OC bandwidth as the Saphire? Their specs are roughly the same but is one brand better than the other at over clocking?

I'm ordering sometime tonight,just want some advice is all.

Thanks.

Angelus said:
I plan to order sometime tonight. Its between these two cards.

HIS 1 Gig 4870 card card with OC ready to go
out of the box,with IceQ4+ Turbo cooler in it,
2 year warranty,$190.00 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161264

Then there's the Sapphire Toxic 1 Gig 4870 card,OC on the go,no cooler,1 year warranty,$220.00 total
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102815

Ok from what I've read both have easy Ocing built in,I would like to go with the Sapphire brand since I've read they have slightly better build quality,but the price and no cooler leaves me abit miffed. I have stock fans and a standard HP PC case(550 Watt Corsair power supply btw) so the IceQ4+ Turbo cooler on the HIS card sounds more of a safer bet for OCing.

How's the build on the HIS though. And does it have the same OC bandwidth as the Saphire? Their specs are roughly the same but is one brand better than the other at over clocking?

I'm ordering sometime tonight,just want some advice is all.

Thanks.

The 4870 has never been a great OCer, I'd say go with a GTX 260, cheaper and will clock by a much bigger percentage:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127409

That's already got a 80mhz clock on the core (which is more than you'd likely ever get from a 4870) compared to the 30mhz clock on the two Radeons and you should manage another 50mhz out of it no bother, At such speeds it'll comofrtably beat any 4870.

I'm running mine at 702/1440/1160 and that gives me GTX 280 level performance. Neither of those Radeons are going to get to that level so why spend an extra $30 for lesser performance?

Use EVGA Precision Tool to OC it and Furmark to stability test. Couldn't be simpler.

This one is also a good deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150329

Comes with COD: WaW as well as Far Cry 2. No factory OC but XFX are very well regarded and all these cards are the same really anyway, so it should clock just as well, the MSI just gives absolute certainty of a healthy overclock.

_Angelus_

Banned
Not too impressed with Nvida cards,sorry. Their drivers have issues plus their build quality game me major headaches so as a user of their product they didnt do me any favors with my last PC. ATI has been good for me thus far so I'm going with what works then.

I went ahead and ordered the ATI Radeon 1 Gig 4870 Toxic card,can't wait. It'll be nice to run games without playing them on low end settings now,my PC will thank me for supplying it with a better, capable card.

godhandiscen said:
All the cards were great choices.

Yup, whichever camp you end up opting for your going to be getting a lot of performance for your dollar. Lets not forget the weaker 192 stream processor version of the GTX 260 launched at $400 less than 6 months ago. To be able to get a card with better performance than that for under $200 is just excellent value. The competition has done worked wonders.

TheFatOne

Man I went to buy this but I noticed I did not have enough money to cover shipping :( I don't know if I can wait another week to build my PC. Is there a comparable card for less than 180$?

EDIT: I found two cards and I wanted to know if they are any good. This is the First Card
and this is the Second Card

Toby

Ok, im looking for some input here.

Looking to put together a cheap quad core system that overclocks well. I have been watching prices, and noticed this combo deal on Newegg:

GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor

$222.98-$10MIR=$212.98

I just wondered if you all thought this was a pretty good way to go for what I need. I do not need SLi or crossfire.

One thing i am confused on is the specs say it will use DDR2 1066, but then some reviewers are saying they use DDR3?

Also wondering if the 770 boards are okay for overclocking?

Any input is appreciated

godhandiscen

TheFatOne said:
Man I went to buy this but I noticed I did not have enough money to cover shipping :( I don't know if I can wait another week to build my PC. Is there a comparable card for less than 180$?

EDIT: I found two cards and I wanted to know if they are any good. This is the First Card
and this is the Second Card
Go for the XFX, it comes with Far Cry 2 and is equally capable a the two other options. eVGA cards tend to cost more because they offer better costumer service, and there is a lot of eVGA fanboys who will purchase the eVGA version over others even if the difference is $80 (like in the GTX 295).

dude

dude
Hi guys, I have a little question. I want to buy a new monitor, I currently ouse a 22" one I bought a long time ago and I could really use a new one.
My dilemma is whether I should stick with a 16:10 22" or 24" or go for 16:9 23", though. A local store has a great price on the LG W2353V, so I was wondering how's that monitor as well. Thanks.
My biggest problem with a 1200x1080 monitor is that I have a folder of over 4GB of 1680x1050 wallpapers :S

godhandiscen

Toby said:
Ok, im looking for some input here.

Looking to put together a cheap quad core system that overclocks well. I have been watching prices, and noticed this combo deal on Newegg:

GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor

$222.98-$10MIR=$212.98

I just wondered if you all thought this was a pretty good way to go for what I need. I do not need SLi or crossfire.

One thing i am confused on is the specs say it will use DDR2 1066, but then some reviewers are saying they use DDR3?

Also wondering if the 770 boards are okay for overclocking?

Any input is appreciated
Chipsets
North Bridge AMD 770
South Bridge AMD SB700

When overclocking AMD boards you need to look at the South Bridge. SB700 and above are great overclockers. The southbridge controls the I/O and the problem with older South Bridge models is that they would unsync with the I/O when the processor was overclocked. Also, think of the North Bridge as a multiplier for the rest of the components in your build. The North Bridge connects your processor with the RAM and everything hooked up to the PCI ports. If this connection is slow, then it could bottleneck your RAM and your videocard. I have no experience with the 770 but I know it is inferior to the 780G (the ones that have a G denominator, come with integrated graphics). The 780G wasnt great but it was decent. I would recommend you to don't go for that deal and instead wait for a mobo with a combination of AM2+/AM3 ready. SB700 or above, and 790FX or 790G.

DDR2 and DDR34 depends on the board.
I would look at the Phenom II X3 720 instead of the X4 920. The 920 is multiplier locked, and generally achieves lower overclocks than the 720. Also, the 720 is cheaper, and you will be hardly pressed to notice the difference between 3 and 4 cores.

dude said:
Hi guys, I have a little question. I want to buy a new monitor, I currently ouse a 22" one I bought a long time ago and I could really use a new one.
My dilemma is whether I should stick with a 16:10 22" or 24" or go for 16:9 23", though. A local store has a great price on the LG W2353V, so I was wondering how's that monitor as well. Thanks.
My biggest problem with a 1200x1080 monitor is that I have a folder of over 4GB of 1680x1050 wallpapers :S
I got a second 1600x1050 monitor because I also had a lot of content for that resolution and I wanted it to match my older monitor which was of that resolution. BIG MISTAKE. Go for 1080p. A lot of HD content will start showing up at 1080p and you will regret not being able to experience it in full detail. Down the road you may want to purchase a BR drive or a movies streaming service might offer 1080p content, and that is when you will start appreciating the 1080p resolution.

Ifrit

So, my computer is like 5/6 years old and I haven't been keeping up with the latests hardware releases in a long long time, so please fellow gaffers help me.

I asked something similar in the HDTV thread, but which are generally considered the best brands on:

Mainboard/motherboards?
RAM? (is DDR2 still around? I think I've heard of DDR3 but I'm not sure)
Processors?(AMD? Intel? Dual core? Core 2 Duo? Quad Core?)
Hard Disk Drives?
DVD Burners?
LCD Monitors?
Power supplies?(also, how much power is used these days?)
Video Cards?
Should I build my own PC or should buy it already built? (I built my previous PC as well as others in the past, how hard is it to do it now, any considerations?)
Anything I'm forgetting?

I'm not from the US so I don't really have easy access to the latest stuff, but I would still want to know what to look out for regarding PC parts

Ifrit said:
So, my computer is like 5/6 years old and I haven't been keeping up with the latests hardware releases in a long long time, so please fellow gaffers help me.

I asked something similar in the HDTV thread, but which are generally considered the best brands on:

Mainboard/motherboards?
RAM? (is DDR2 still around? I think I've heard of DDR3 but I'm not sure)
Processors?(AMD? Intel? Dual core? Core 2 Duo? Quad Core?)
Hard Disk Drives?
DVD Burners?
LCD Monitors?
Power supplies?(also, how much power is used these days?)
Video Cards?
Should I build my own PC or should buy it already built? (I built my previous PC as well as others in the past, how hard is it to do it now, any considerations?)
Anything I'm forgetting?

I'm not from the US so I don't really have easy access to the latest stuff, but I would still want to know what to look out for regarding PC parts

Building is easier than its ever been and as ever is the best route to go if you want the most out of your components and the best value for money.

An AMD Phenom X3 720 based rig is currently the best mix of great performance and reasonably pricing. Couple it with 4GB of DDR2, an AM2+ motherboard from Asus or Gigabyte and a 4850/GTS250/4870/GTX 260 GPU dependant upon budget and needs and you've got a very nice looking rig that'll handle anything you throw at it and also has plenty of headroom to OC.

If you've got the cash a Intel Core i7 920 plus an X58 motherboard, 6GB/3GB of DDR3 plus a ATI 4890 OR Nvidia gtx 275 (or 4870X2/GTX 295 if you want MAJOR graphics performance) offers insanely high performance and overclocking headroom whilst not stepping into the realms of silly "extreme" pricing.

dude said:

I'm loving my 23" 1080p monitor its a pleasure to work with and makes movies, TV shows and games an absolute joy. If you plan to use it for games and movies then 1080p is the way to go, it offers a great cinematic experieance, and the 23" size offers a healthy screen size whilst maintaining a nice high dot pitch.

There's plenty of 1080p wallpapers out there now as well, and game support is very widespread. Its starting to become a ubiquitous resolution and aspect ratio for all media, and there's never been a better time to jump on the bandwagon.

Ifrit

brain_stew said:
Building is easier than its ever been and as ever is the best route to go if you want the most out of your components and the best value for money.

An AMD Phenom X3 720 based rig is currently the best mix of great performance and reasonably pricing. Couple it with 4GB of DDR2, an AM2+ motherboard from Asus or Gigabyte and a 4850/GTS250/4870/GTX 260 GPU dependant upon budget and needs and you've got a very nice looking rig that'll handle anything you throw at it and also has plenty of headroom to OC.

If you've got the cash a Intel Core i7 920 plus an X58 motherboard, 6GB/3GB of DDR3 plus a ATI 4890 OR Nvidia gtx 275 (or 4870X2/GTX 295 if you want MAJOR graphics performance) offers insanely high performance and overclocking headroom whilst not stepping into the realms of silly "extreme" pricing.

Wow thanks, that was pretty detailed and useful. Btw what's your opinion on the nvidia ion? Should I just wait for it till it comes out or should I just build my PC right now and worry about that later, the price seems really nice for it.

brain_stew said:
Those temperatures are well within spec. Most GPUs can handle temps in excess of 100C, so its not overheating. Must be something else wrong.

Assuming its still within its warranty period, I'd just get it replaced, worth the peace of mind at the very least.
Oddly enough, I haven't had any issues the past couple of days, including during L4D runs. I've still got a month or so on the warranty, I believe, so if it ever starts happening again, I'll jump right on in. Thanks again for all the advice.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Quick wireless question. I just finished moving and now have to deal with a wireless connection. I bought a WRT54GL and installed Tomato onto it. Is there a certain wireless adapter people would recommend for it? Im going through a few walls and would like best possible connection for DLing/Gaming.

My roomate got this: Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter WMP300N and says he likes it. Any good to get for myself?

Ifrit said:
Wow thanks, that was pretty detailed and useful. Btw what's your opinion on the nvidia ion? Should I just wait for it till it comes out or should I just build my PC right now and worry about that later, the price seems really nice for it.

Its a total different category of device, we're talking Pentium 3 levels of CPU performance. Its perfect for certain solutions (providing you have all the relevant DVXA codecs for your HD content) but as a gaming device and replacement for a full scale desktop its not even worth mentioning really.

Its a supplementary machine, not a replacement machine, like all other netbook/nettop setups out there.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
frogg609 said:
I am currently using an 8800GT. What's a good upgrade to this card, or should I try and SLI with another 8800GT?
If you don't have anything you need to run higher then I'd suggest sticking with it.

I didn't really need the jump from my 8800GT to my GTX 260 imo.

You can if you want though :D

frogg609 said:
I am currently using an 8800GT. What's a good upgrade to this card, or should I try and SLI with another 8800GT?

GTX 260 (216) or a 4890 if you've got more cash to spend. You're best to avoid SLI if at all possible, you're going to be badly restricted by the 512MB framebuffer, display lag, suffer from micro stutter, be reliant upon driver updates, have a crappy multi monitor setup and have unreasonable power requirements.

If all that sound like fun to you then go ahead but when there's $160 andf $230 excellent single GPU options then I don't see why you'd want to deal with such headaches. Both the GTX 260 and 4890 are excellent clockers which is a real bonus. I'm currently using a 260 and have had a 8800GT previously, if you're using high resolutions and/or IQ the difference is pretty significant. All that extra bandwidth and memory really do help.

Ifrit

brain_stew said:
Its a total different category of device, we're talking Pentium 3 levels of CPU performance. Its perfect for certain solutions (providing you have all the relevant DVXA codecs for your HD content) but as a gaming device and replacement for a full scale desktop its not even worth mentioning really.

Its a supplementary machine, not a replacement machine, like all other netbook/nettop setups out there.

I guess I'll build one then

Thanks again brain_stew, that was pretty helpful

*subscribes to thread*

dude

dude
godhandiscen said:
I got a second 1600x1050 monitor because I also had a lot of content for that resolution and I wanted it to match my older monitor which was of that resolution. BIG MISTAKE. Go for 1080p. A lot of HD content will start showing up at 1080p and you will regret not being able to experience it in full detail. Down the road you may want to purchase a BR drive or a movies streaming service might offer 1080p content, and that is when you will start appreciating the 1080p resolution.

brain_stew said:
I'm loving my 23" 1080p monitor its a pleasure to work with and makes movies, TV shows and games an absolute joy. If you plan to use it for games and movies then 1080p is the way to go, it offers a great cinematic experieance, and the 23" size offers a healthy screen size whilst maintaining a nice high dot pitch.

There's plenty of 1080p wallpapers out there now as well, and game support is very widespread. Its starting to become a ubiquitous resolution and aspect ratio for all media, and there's never been a better time to jump on the bandwagon.
Thanks guys. I'll got for a 1920x1080 monitor, anyone know how's the LG monitor I mentioned? As I said, it's on sale
EDIT: I people bitch mostly about the stand, are LG stands that bad?

Angelus said:
Not too impressed with Nvida cards,sorry. Their drivers have issues plus their build quality game me major headaches so as a user of their product they didnt do me any favors with my last PC. ATI has been good for me thus far so I'm going with what works then.

I went ahead and ordered the ATI Radeon 1 Gig 4870 Toxic card,can't wait. It'll be nice to run games without playing them on low end settings now,my PC will thank me for supplying it with a better, capable card.

gee, if anything, ATI drivers are the ones that are/were notorious for bad drivers.

Hey Gaf. Looking for some advice on building my new gaming rig. The last time I upgraded was 5 years ago. Things have REALLY changed:lol

I've been lurking through this thread for the past 2 weeks. Here are some parts I picked out.
Case:
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PSU:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready

CPU:
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 Is the 940 really worth the extra $280?

Heatsink
Thermaltake V1 Max-Performance CPU Cooler with Massive 110mm Blue LED Full-Range Variable Speed Fan

Mobo:
ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Ram:
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit

Video Card options:
SAPPHIRE 100269OCSR Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - OC edition
XFX GX260NADFF GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Hard Drives: I plan on getting both of theses.
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) - OEM
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) - OEM

Optical:
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q - OEM

Monitor:
ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

Right now this setup costs about $1,750. I'd like to get that down to $1,500 without making too many performance sacrifices. I'm open to suggestions on any areas of the new system.

A few questions. The VelociRaptor drive....is it worth it? Is the mobo any good? I would also like to get a monitor that is compatible with my PS3.

Any advice would be appreciated.

SNUG REVOL said:
CPU: Is the 940 really worth the extra $280?

No.

SNUG REVOL said:
Right now this setup costs about $1,750. I'd like to get that down to $1,500 without making too many performance sacrifices. I'm open to suggestions on any areas of the new system.

Dropping the Velociraptor would help. So would switching down from 1.5TB of main storage. But at a 24" 1080p panel I really don't recommend dropping down on the videocard. (My first comment would have been to go with a 22", actually, but simplifying the PS3 equation makes that a difficult thing to do.)

Crazymoogle said:
No.

Dropping the Velociraptor would help. So would switching down from 1.5TB of main storage. But at a 24" 1080p panel I really don't recommend dropping down on the videocard. (My first comment would have been to go with a 22", actually, but simplifying the PS3 equation makes that a difficult thing to do.)

Thanks for the advice. I'll forget the 940 upgrade. I'm looking into other hard drive options as well.

zbarron

SNUG REVOL said:
Any advice would be appreciated.
Pick up the processor from Microcenter for almost $60 cheaper.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0300438

Also forgo the heatsink for the moment. I benchmarked a few games and there is little to no difference on my setup between 2.66 and 3.6. Cutting it down to a standard HDD would also help. As far as the case goes I am in the same boat. I'm looking for one that can fit a nice heat sink but don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money. Good choice on the Mother board. I got that exact one from newegg a few days ago and it's great. If I could find a nice cooling system I can bring my CPU to 4.0. I overclocked it to 4.0 and it booted but I quickly restarted knowing the temps must have been outrageous.

zbarron said:
Pick up the processor from Microcenter for almost $60 cheaper.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0300438

Also forgo the heatsink for the moment. I benchmarked a few games and there is little to no difference on my setup between 2.66 and 3.6. Cutting it down to a standard HDD would also help. As far as the case goes I am in the same boat. I'm looking for one that can fit a nice heat sink but don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money. Good choice on the Mother board. I got that exact one from newegg a few days ago and it's great. If I could find a nice cooling system I can bring my CPU to 4.0. I overclocked it to 4.0 and it booted but I quickly restarted knowing the temps must have been outrageous.
Thanks for the heads up on the 920 link. Is microcenter is reliable site? To be honest I havent heard of them before.

Drop the heat sink? Wow, I thought using stock cpu fans/heatsinks would be suicide for gaming rigs. Also finding a good affodable case is a pain in the ass.

zbarron

SNUG REVOL said:
Thanks for the heads up on the 920 link. Is microcenter is reliable site? To be honest I havent heard of them before.

Drop the heat sink? Wow, I thought using stock cpu fans/heatsinks would be suicide for gaming rigs. Also finding a good affodable case is a pain in the ass.
Microcenter is a retail chain. This is their online store. I picked it up in their store on April 1st when it was $199 and people were wondering why they would post a sale on April Fools day.

As far as the heatsink... you should probably listen to more knowledgeable members than me.

zbarron said:
Microcenter is a retail chain. This is their online store. I picked it up in their store on April 1st when it was $199 and people were wondering why they would post a sale on April Fools day.

As far as the heatsink... you should probably listen to more knowledgeable members than me.

Thanks for the info in microcenter. I'll grab it from those guys.

Top Bottom