• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Metalic Sand said:
So when overclocking should i only worry about massive heat gains as long as i never crash and my games run good "All i care about" :lol

Staying at 3.2ghz but mite go up to 3.4/3.5 in the future. Ive been fairly lucky with getting no noticeable heat gains. I run hardware monitor 24/7. Also if anyone knows what is a acceptable Temp for phenom 2 X3's for how high one can push. Ive only ever hit 33 celsius from futuremark vantage or some crysis playing(Demo).

Around 30-35 idle and 60-65 under load is safe from what I have experienced. As long a you have a good cooler/thermal paste heat should be no problem with these....getting an actual stable clock is a different story :lol

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
MWS Natural said:
Around 30-35 idle and 60-65 under load is safe from what I have experienced. As long a you have a good cooler/thermal paste heat should be no problem with these....getting an actual stable clock is a different story :lol

Im guessing 3.4 or higher is the real test then? :lol. 3.2 was a breeze of clicking a button!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Anyone want to know what the ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4870 look like in Crossfire? This is the DDR3 variant btw, installed in the Asus W90p:

Mobility4870.jpg

Metalic Sand said:
Im guessing 3.4 or higher is the real test then? :lol. 3.2 was a breeze of clicking a button!

Yeah I can get anything below 3.3ghz 100% stable but after that it gets a bit tricky. But I guess it all depends on your mobo and overclocking skills.

Milpool

Gleeky said:
looking for good/cheap 4850 gpu cooler. stock is terribad.

I got a Vortexx Neo last Summer, massive change in temps but it got really noisy after a while. Replaced it with a HR-03 GT installed backwards and used a single fan to cool my cpu too, got better temps than with the Neo.

2u8y03r.jpg

That build is long gone now though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, just jumping in and upgrading to a Core i7 rig just isn't going to work for the wallet. The CPU/Mobo/Memory combo will be quite killer. So, I think I'll upgrade in increments while the prices drop over time.

Here's what my system looks like currently.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB
MSI MS-7238 Mobo (Overclocks like shit. =/)
4 GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 Ram
WD 250 GB 7200 RPM (I think, I can't recall) for main drive.
WD 1TB 7200 RPM (Media Drive).

My thoughts immediately turn to a better video card, main hard drive and possible more RAM? But I'd just end up replacing the RAM with a new set up anyway and 4GB should be plenty for now. My mobo overclocks like garbage for some reason, but things, sadly, are running at stock. I'm stuck with it though.

Thoughts?

Wallach

Kintaro said:
Well, just jumping in and upgrading to a Core i7 rig just isn't going to work for the wallet. The CPU/Mobo/Memory combo will be quite killer. So, I think I'll upgrade in increments while the prices drop over time.

Here's what my system looks like currently.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB
MSI MS-7238 Mobo (Overclocks like shit. =/)
4 GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 Ram
WD 250 GB 7200 RPM (I think, I can't recall) for main drive.
WD 1TB 7200 RPM (Media Drive).

My thoughts immediately turn to a better video card, main hard drive and possible more RAM? But I'd just end up replacing the RAM with a new set up anyway and 4GB should be plenty for now. My mobo overclocks like garbage for some reason, but things, sadly, are running at stock. I'm stuck with it though.

Thoughts?

Really the only thing that I'd suggest in a price-to-performance sense is a new video card. Nothing else there is going to make a big difference for a while; even OC'ing that rig is not going to provide much in the way of tangible benefits outside of a few specific games that are really processor intensive.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wallach said:
Really the only thing that I'd suggest in a price-to-performance sense is a new video card. Nothing else there is going to make a big difference for a while; even OC'ing that rig is not going to provide much in the way of tangible benefits outside of a few specific games that are really processor intensive.

I'm thinking one of those GTX 260s. Seems like a good price/performance ratio there. A new main drive with more cache would be okay too...man the prices on them are pretty nice, but I'm surprised 10k HDDs haven't advanced a bit more though.

eWiz has MSI Radeon HD4890 1GB PCI Express video card for $235 - $20 coupon 20bunny - $20 rebate = $195 with free shipping. Thanks c88ms
Other good video card deals:

* Sapphire Radeon HD 4830 512MB PCI Express Video Card
$90 - $5 coupon EMCLRML42 - $15 rebate = $70 with free shipping. Thanks yousofar [Discuss]
* Asus Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCI Express Video Card
$130 - $30 rebate = $100 with free shipping. Thanks SP33DFR34K [Discuss]
* EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX260 Core 216 896MB PCI Express Video Card
$170 - $20 rebate - $10 Code BOGOBUY10 = $140. Shipping starts at $7. Thanks vietkangta

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1290987

Zyzyxxz

K.Jack said:
Anyone want to know what the ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4870 look like in Crossfire? This is the DDR3 variant btw, installed in the Asus W90p:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h204/killer-ra/random%20nonimportant%20stuff/Mobility4870.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

sick, is that your laptop? Post benchmarks/game performance stats

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Zyzyxxz said:
sick, is that your laptop? Post benchmarks/game performance stats
Nah not mine, but someone's I know over on NotebookReview.

I know 1080p Crysis on Very High is 30+ frames per second.

adg1034

MWS Natural said:
Best monitor under $400? I am looking to upgrade my 37inch westy to something atleast 24inches used for gaming and HD movies.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Wait, $400? Is that what they're going for used these days? Goddam.

As for displays, it's not a 24-incher, but the Dell 2209WA has been getting near-perfect reviews lately. It's less than $250, has an IPS panel (actually e-IPS, but it's practically the same thing, especially when you're comparing it to the TN panels you usually get), and is great.

For a 24-inch display, though, I'd go with the HP lp2475w. It's a bit more than $400, but for the number of inputs you get, the quality of the panel (again, IPS, which gives you far better color accuracy and a much wider viewing angle), etc., you really can't go wrong.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Made a thread for this...but coming here instead...reposting from my thread.

Ok my daughter wants to buy a Dell laptop so she doesn't have to use mine or my wife's desktops anymore. She wants me to help pick one out for her but I really know nothing about what makes for a good laptop. She is definately getting a Dell because they will have great customer service if things go bad..hehe

Anyway...

She is basically going to do schoolwork on it, watch movies between classes, and play games like WoW. While she will play other games on it, she is NOT a hardcore gamer so does not need a top of the line super gaming moidel.

She said she is willing to spend up to $2000 but I think that is way too much for her to spend for what she needs.

Can anyone help me pick out some options from teh Dell website? Or tell me key things I may need aside from the obvious (DVD player, Wireless connect, etc)

adg1034 said:
I'm kind of in the same boat. Wait, $400? Is that what they're going for used these days? Goddam.

As for displays, it's not a 24-incher, but the Dell 2209WA has been getting near-perfect reviews lately. It's less than $250, has an IPS panel (actually e-IPS, but it's practically the same thing, especially when you're comparing it to the TN panels you usually get), and is great.

For a 24-inch display, though, I'd go with the HP lp2475w. It's a bit more than $400, but for the number of inputs you get, the quality of the panel (again, IPS, which gives you far better color accuracy and a much wider viewing angle), etc., you really can't go wrong.

Yeah I really can't go above $400, really would prefer to be under $300. I will take a look at the Dell even though 22 is a bit too small for me. I wish the 30inch higher resolution displays weren't so expensive because that is around the size I am looking for. The Hanns G 28 has gotten good reviews but many have experienced problems as well.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
K.Jack said:
Nah not mine, but someone's I know over on NotebookReview.

I know 1080p Crysis on Very High is 30+ frames per second.
Well, no joke, that laptop has the GPU power of a 4850x2 in desktop terms. It must be bulky though. Also, I would like to see snow level benchmarks since those are the true Crysis benchmarks.

Zyzyxxz

Mr Pockets said:
Made a thread for this...but coming here instead...reposting from my thread.

Ok my daughter wants to buy a Dell laptop so she doesn't have to use mine or my wife's desktops anymore. She wants me to help pick one out for her but I really know nothing about what makes for a good laptop. She is definately getting a Dell because they will have great customer service if things go bad..hehe

Anyway...

She is basically going to do schoolwork on it, watch movies between classes, and play games like WoW. While she will play other games on it, she is NOT a hardcore gamer so does not need a top of the line super gaming moidel.

She said she is willing to spend up to $2000 but I think that is way too much for her to spend for what she needs.

Can anyone help me pick out some options from teh Dell website? Or tell me key things I may need aside from the obvious (DVD player, Wireless connect, etc)

Dell's customer service sucks these days, you gotta pay extra for the good service otherwise you get their crappy Indian service techs.

Personally I'd take a look at the Dell Studio 15. They start really affordable and have options for certain features you may want such as higher resolution (regular is 1280x800)

They come with a ATI mobility 3450 which is ok, good enough for WOW. Even a Studio 15 with really good options wont break $1500 so $2000 is plain ridiculous amount to spend if she is a mainstream gamer.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
She is spreading her options around now....looking at other sources outside of Dell.

She built a nice system there for $1100 though. 17" 2.2 mghz duel core, nvidea 256 vid, 4gb ram etc

Had liek $400 in "coupons" for students or something

BluWacky

Hope this is the right place to ask this, might be a bit long.

I've had an HP Pavilion 9288ea (or something along those lines) for the past couple of years, and it's served me quite well given how I abuse the poor thing. Alas, it seems the Nvidia card inside is dying a somewhat early death (black vertical lines all over the screen then total graphics freeze up; mad polygons all over the place in anything 3D; occasionally going black, struggling to reload the screen and then blue-screening in defeat; Matrix flickers on AVI files etc. etc.); the machine's very thin and runs very hot indeed, and I suspect that it's just starting to break down now.

Understandably I'm a bit miffed that it's only lasted me 2 years as I spent about £1,100 on it and this was when I lived at home and had the surplus cash. I bought a desktop replacement laptop due to space concerns, but realistically I think I'd probably be much better off buying a desktop for around £700/£800 if possible and a netbook for £300 for word processing and internet on the go.

I do game on my current machine but nothing competitive and I just whack the settings down low for smoother gaming; it runs Warcraft III like a dream (unsurprisingly), and I play point-and-click adventures and RTSes/strategy games mainly so no FPSes or anything like that. Most processor-intensive games I play are Supreme Commander, Rise of Legends and Titan Quest.

I mostly watch a lot of videos on the current machine and would ideally like something that could stream nicely to the Xbox through Tversity (the current machine has no problems with AVIs at all but struggles a lot with hi-def video), but I appreciate on my kind of budget you're unlikely to get anything super-powerful.

So... can anyone point me in the direction of a sensible pre-built machine in the UK to start off with? I don't have any desktop components at all, and although I know how to build a machine I don't want to take the chance at this point; I'd be much happier just upgrading it along the road as necessary.

(a netbook recommendation would be great as well if this is the right place for it!)

Thanks!

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
MWS Natural said:
Yeah I can get anything below 3.3ghz 100% stable but after that it gets a bit tricky. But I guess it all depends on your mobo and overclocking skills.

I was able to OC it to 3.5ghz and run Futuremark. Went up to 35 Celsius on Load(Stock cooler). I just turn up the multiplier. Guess i got a good batch or something. Ill try Prime95 or something later. Dont like how you have to sign up ect.. to use it.

adg1034

MWS Natural said:
Yeah I really can't go above $400, really would prefer to be under $300. I will take a look at the Dell even though 22 is a bit too small for me. I wish the 30inch higher resolution displays weren't so expensive because that is around the size I am looking for. The Hanns G 28 has gotten good reviews but many have experienced problems as well.

If you're still considering the Dell, you can get it for $212 + free shipping by asking for it at that price on Dell's Small Business Chat service.

Alright, well, even though i'm not getting a tax return this year I need a new PC so i'm just going to spend $300 on a cheap system (wasn't planning on buying one right now, was going to wait for Nehalem to come down a bit). It's going to be an E5200 with 4GB of memory. I'm going to reuse my old case and 74GB Raptor. I'll stick with the piss-poor Intel integrated graphics until the new low-end videocards hit in May (at least based on what Anandtech was hinting at).

Not ideal, but not a bad interim upgrade to my 2004 Athlon 64 build.

BluWacky said:
Hope this is the right place to ask this, might be a bit long.

I've had an HP Pavilion 9288ea (or something along those lines) for the past couple of years, and it's served me quite well given how I abuse the poor thing. Alas, it seems the Nvidia card inside is dying a somewhat early death (black vertical lines all over the screen then total graphics freeze up; mad polygons all over the place in anything 3D; occasionally going black, struggling to reload the screen and then blue-screening in defeat; Matrix flickers on AVI files etc. etc.); the machine's very thin and runs very hot indeed, and I suspect that it's just starting to break down now.

Understandably I'm a bit miffed that it's only lasted me 2 years as I spent about £1,100 on it and this was when I lived at home and had the surplus cash. I bought a desktop replacement laptop due to space concerns, but realistically I think I'd probably be much better off buying a desktop for around £700/£800 if possible and a netbook for £300 for word processing and internet on the go.

I do game on my current machine but nothing competitive and I just whack the settings down low for smoother gaming; it runs Warcraft III like a dream (unsurprisingly), and I play point-and-click adventures and RTSes/strategy games mainly so no FPSes or anything like that. Most processor-intensive games I play are Supreme Commander, Rise of Legends and Titan Quest.

I mostly watch a lot of videos on the current machine and would ideally like something that could stream nicely to the Xbox through Tversity (the current machine has no problems with AVIs at all but struggles a lot with hi-def video), but I appreciate on my kind of budget you're unlikely to get anything super-powerful.

So... can anyone point me in the direction of a sensible pre-built machine in the UK to start off with? I don't have any desktop components at all, and although I know how to build a machine I don't want to take the chance at this point; I'd be much happier just upgrading it along the road as necessary.

(a netbook recommendation would be great as well if this is the right place for it!)

Thanks!

Under budget and over specified:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-046-OE&groupid=43&catid=1184&subcat=

Are you a student? If so get your copy of Vista Ultimate from here for £41 if you need it. Just install a trial (i.e. don't enter a product key) then "upgrade" from that in order to geta clean install. Works like a charm.

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-uk/default.aspx

adg1034 said:
If you're still considering the Dell, you can get it for $212 + free shipping by asking for it at that price on Dell's Small Business Chat service.

Thanks for the tip, 22 is a bit too small though. I feel like even 24 is a major compromise lol.

godhandiscen

evil solrac v3.0 said:
are the 285's and 295s gonna drop in price this summer or not?
Well, The 285 should drop if the 4890 OC is a good competitor, and that could be soon. Besides that, I don't see the cards value going down until the DX11 cards roll out.

Ashhong

my 512mb 4870 is at about 53 degrees Celsius at idle....should i be looking for a cooler?

its overclocked to 800mhz/3850mhz

Ashhong said:
my 512mb 4870 is at about 53 degrees Celsius at idle....should i be looking for a cooler?

its overclocked to 800mhz/3850mhz

Idle temperatures are pretty much worthless numbers. As long as it stays below 100C under load, you're fine.

Roxas said:
oops i posted in the old 2008 thread..ill just copypasta what i said to here...

Hi guys, what do you think of this PC?

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default...paign= panel1

Matrix Pure HD.

Seems like a great offer?

Crappy case, crappy processor, crappy GPU, crappy PSU. No, I wouldn't recommend it, there's been quite a lot of concessions made to pack in a lot of saleable features. The pre-overclocked rigs from overclokcers.co.uk which I linked above are much better for the money.

Ashhong

brain_stew said:
Idle temperatures are pretty much worthless numbers. As long as it stays below 100C under load, you're fine.

holy shit, anything under 100c is fine? :lol i was worried when it goes to like 60

Ashhong said:
holy shit, anything under 100c is fine? :lol i was worried when it goes to like 60

I believe its specified to run upto something approaching 110C as it happens. Modern GPUs are designed to operate under much higher thermal restraints than CPUs. The only real reason t worry about the temperature a GPU is operating at is if its restricting your overclock, or its requiring the fan to rev up to unbearable levels.

zaidr

What do you guys do with your older systems? It seems like a lot of you are upgrading constantly, so what happens with your previous system? Do you sell it? Do you sell off parts? Gift it?

godhandiscen

Roxas said:
oops i posted in the old 2008 thread..ill just copypasta what i said to here...

Hi guys, what do you think of this PC?

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default...paign= panel1

Matrix Pure HD.

Seems like a great offer?
NO. Stay away from the original Phenom CPU's. They sucks ass.
zaidr said:
What do you guys do with your older systems? It seems like a lot of you are upgrading constantly, so what happens with your previous system? Do you sell it? Do you sell off parts? Gift it?

I sell my parts for cheap usually. However, now I am storing them to build a newer pc for my bro.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:
With the fan at 60% or so (or default?) it might hit 90C under load, which is fine by what ATi says.

I'd rather have my GPU's below 65C for peace of mind though. (Load)

Ashhong

Hazaro said:
With the fan at 60% or so (or default?) it might hit 90C under load, which is fine by what ATi says.

I'd rather have my GPU's below 65C for peace of mind though. (Load)

its on auto control but usually at 60, although id prefer 50. ill have to check the temps again at load..

on a side note, i got my system much quieter by doing the case fan mod to make the fan run at 7v instead of 12. so awesome

Mr.City

MWS Natural said:

Would those number apply to an Intel q9400?

The Chef

I had posted earlier about how my year old gaming pc I built is continually locking up. Usually it will lock up really quickly, like 5-10 minutes or running.

I did a memory test and everything is fine there, did a reformat reinstall of vista 64 and still the same problem. So I do believe Gaf is right in saying the PSU is most likely dying. Which is so odd considering that mine is about 13 months old now. But maybe I just got a lemon.

I went on Newegg to check out getting a new one and the one I currently have is still one of the top sellers - so natually Im hesitant to buy the same one again. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341019

Whats everyone think? Should I get this PSU or get something else.

_Angelus_

Banned
I got around to installing my 4870 card last night. man what a cramped fit,I was warned that even though it would fit my HP Pavilion case,that it would be a close fit,having to manage space with the power cables. Just made it,whew. I'm running stock fans and for now I just leave the side panel on the case own when running games,temperature idles at around 60C total,and around 70 for when running games. Eventually I'll look into some collants to help manage the temperature abit better. I haven't seriously on it yet though,well outside of playing that turdy game called X-Blades,lordy was a stinker. I knew I was buying a bad game when it was on clearance at Target two weeks ago,haha. But anyways it runs so smoothly with many effects on high,again this card is amazing. Other than that I've been gaming by trying out demos and have been getting used to Catalyst auto managing my fans and temperature till I have more time to read up on controlling the settings to my liking.

But this card,oh my god. I'm seeing a dramatic jump in performance,but then again I've been gaming on an integrated Radeon 200 for the last 3 years,gaming with the 4870 is amazing now. Games run so smooth with many effects on very high settings,again amazing card.

I wanna say thanks to you all who helped educating me on what/what not to do when upgrading the PC. Your input here has been an experience and I'm a better gamer for it. I've learned how to not be afraid to buy and install hardware now. No more being at the mercy of Best Buy with their pricing and installation fees. Its weird but there is something really satisfying about the fact that I took the upgrading into my own hands and came out ok without blowing stuff up.
:D

Actually it gets quite addicting buying from places like New Egg where you save good money,then there is that anticipation of waiting for the stuff to arrive,then installing and enjoying a revamped computer,the money saved and the tinkering inside the box has been really satisfying.

Again many thanks to you all for recommending and pointing the way for me. I just hope I can return the favor and help someone else that was in my shoes. The next time its time to upgrade it won't be so confusing,I'll look into probably building my own PC. Its not really hard,just abit intimidating,but once you jump in its quite enjoyable.

Thanks everyone.

Mr.City said:
Would those number apply to an Intel q9400?

No clue, I don't have much experience with them.

I think I have burned out my mobo or CPU, can't boot into windows anymore even after CMOS reset. Going to try to re-install windows tonight but if that doesn't work I think I will am going to throw this shit in the trash and get an i7 with a rampage matx board.

_Angelus_

Banned
Yeah it is awesome that I can now game on my PC and not have to worry about my card chocking on a game,unless its Crysis,haha. Also,will be fun shopping for games,games like The Witcher I've been wanting to buy for the longest time.
Not that I don't love my consoles,but PC gaming has allot of genres that don't translate well over to pick up and play console gaming.

vanty

Just a quick question about PSUs. My PC is randomly shutting down, it could be after 30 minutes after starting up or it could be after 3 days, just suddenly turns off. Half the time it won't turn back on unless I unplug the power and put it back, and even then I'll have to wait 10-20 minutes before it'll boot up again instead of dying 5 seconds after hitting the power button. Nothing seems to be overheating, and the system just instantly shuts down, there aren't any blue screens or anything. So would that definitely be my power supply crapping out?

Really hope it is just the power supply since that's pretty easy to replace. This is driving me crazy.

vanty. said:
Just a quick question about PSUs. My PC is randomly shutting down, it could be after 30 minutes after starting up or it could be after 3 days, just suddenly turns off. Half the time it won't turn back on unless I unplug the power and put it back, and even then I'll have to wait 10-20 minutes before it'll boot up again instead of dying 5 seconds after hitting the power button. Nothing seems to be overheating, and the system just instantly shuts down, there aren't any blue screens or anything. So would that definitely be my power supply crapping out?

Really hope it is just the power supply since that's pretty easy to replace. This is driving me crazy.

Sounds like exactly like what happened to my last build. I replaced my PSU and everything now works like a charm.

Top Bottom