• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Waikis

The current manufacturing batch for i7 920 is called c0 , the new one is d0. It's a (slight)revision of the chip design which results in better temperature and overclock. This is one of the reason why microcenter is having a huge discount on their 920 stock (to flush out their c0 stock).

Again, all of this doesnt matter if you dont plan on overclocking it since the d0 batch is going to have the same price.

i thinking im going to set myself up for some 1080p gaming.

ill upgrade to a 4870 1gig (from my 4850 512)

overclock 6600 to 3ghz (already have heatsink in place just havent got around to it.)

buy something that does 1080p cheap or big ( thinking plasma)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SNUG REVOL said:
Thanks for the advice. I'll forget the 940 upgrade. I'm looking into other hard drive options as well.
Just get a 640GB or TB now and get another when you need the space.

Waikis said:
The current manufacturing batch for i7 920 is called c0 , the new one is d0. It's a (slight)revision of the chip design which results in better temperature and overclock. This is one of the reason why microcenter is having a huge discount on their 920 stock (to flush out their c0 stock).

Again, all of this doesnt matter if you dont plan on overclocking it since the d0 batch is going to have the same price.
Woah. Good info. I dont really plan on doing much overclocking.

Also, a buddy of mine just shot me this link.....
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ffiliateID=pnkDUx_cu3o-HnJBweKxhoE3LjCYLifCdw

Still needs a GPU and opitcal drive.....

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
dasupremeone said:
the g-15 or the g-11 keyboard? Anyone recommend one or the other?

Thanks!
Microsoft Sidewinder Keyboard. ;) I will not get tired of recommending such an awesome piece of hardware.

I just got a Radeon 4890 yesterday and took some temps with GPU-Z.

Stock cooler :

Idle:
GPU 58
DISPIO 58
MEMIO 63
SHADERCORE 63

Load after 10 min of furmark:
GPU 74
DISPIO 74
MEMIO 81
SHADERCORE 80

Accelero S1 with 2x Scythe Splitstream 800 fans, stock clocks:

Idle:
GPU 40
DISPIO 40
MEMIO 50
SHADERCORE 44

GPU 59
DISPIO 59
MEMIO 73
SHADERCORE 65

No real game seems to hit as hard as furmark, just played few hours of Left for Dead with everything at max with 8x AA and GPU only hit 50C.

Accelero gave a nice 15C drop in core temps and significant reduction in noise. Stock cooler at furmark was almost as bad as Xbox 360 and even idle was louder than my CPU cooler and PSU.

How hard was that cooler to install? With those temps and a noise reduction, I think I'm going to be seriously tempted to try one of those.

godhandiscen

Absolute Bastard said:
I just got a Radeon 4890 yesterday and took some temps with GPU-Z.

Stock cooler :

Idle:
GPU 58
DISPIO 58
MEMIO 63
SHADERCORE 63

GPU 74
DISPIO 74
MEMIO 81
SHADERCORE 80

Accelero S1 with 2x Scythe Splitstream 800 fans, stock clocks:

Idle:
GPU 40
DISPIO 40
MEMIO 50
SHADERCORE 44

GPU 59
DISPIO 59
MEMIO 73
SHADERCORE 65

No real game seems to hit as hard as furmark, just played few hours of Left for Dead with everything at max with 8x AA and GPU only hit 50C.

Accelero gave a nice 15C drop in core temps and significant reduction in noise. Stock cooler at furmark was almost as bad as Xbox 360 and even idle was louder than my CPU cooler and PSU.
What settings do you use for furmark? My temps with the GTX295 rise over 80 in a matter of minutes when running at 1600x1050 with some AA.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sup with the nvidia cards going to 898 MB or RAM while ATi goes to 1GB? I'm trying to figure out a new card to pick up and it's confusing. Price range is around $200.

godhandiscen

Kintaro said:
Sup with the nvidia cards going to 898 MB or RAM while ATi goes to 1GB? I'm trying to figure out a new card to pick up and it's confusing.
Look at benchmarks for the resolution you are playing at. Dont look at any other numbers since they cannot be directly compared.

Minsc

Gold Member
Kintaro said:
Sup with the nvidia cards going to 898 MB or RAM while ATi goes to 1GB? I'm trying to figure out a new card to pick up and it's confusing.

What resolution is your monitor? It really should make no difference. Chances are 512 is more than enough, unless you're running 1080+

godhandiscen said:
Look at benchmarks for the resolution you are playing at. Dont look at any other numbers since they cannot be directly compared.

I remember seeing a whole bunch of benches for 512 & 1024 meg cards with them all being equal... it matters the AA & game too I guess, but do you have any examples where there's a large difference? I know if you throw enough high res texture mods in to oblivion it will bring a 512 meg card to it's knees, but that's a very unique situation.

Kintaro said:

GTX260/280: Each memory controller has access to 128MB, hence 896 (1024-128)
GTX285: upped to 1GB

Realistically you should not be using the memory count to determine your purchase. They all are effectively "1GB" solutions.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Minsc said:
What resolution is your monitor? It really should make no difference. Chances are 512 is more than enough, unless you're running 1080+

I have plans to get a 1080 monitor or higher (or just get a 1080 TV for it), but right now, it's not 1080p. I was just curious between seeing the different number was throwing me off a bit. I'm running a GeForce 9600 GT at the moment and was planning on upgrading bit by bit until the i7 stuff goes down in price.

How hard was that cooler to install? With those temps and a noise reduction, I think I'm going to be seriously tempted to try one of those.

It wasn't exessivily hard, it took me about an hour because I had to cut a corner off one memory heatsink because it touched one heatpipe and I fucked up by installing the sink to the card before I attached fans to the sink. Turbo module would have been easier, but I swore I would never again use anything less than 120mm fan.

godhandiscen said:
What settings do you use for furmark? My temps with the GTX295 rise over 80 in a matter of minutes when running at 1600x1050 with some AA.

I used windowed stability test at 640x480 resolution with 8xAA. AA is sheer murder in furmark, I got constant 98% GPU load when 1024x768 with 4xAA only gave 97% load. Temps seemed to go to max in about 2-3 minutes, after that they stayed constant.

Edit: 640x480 8xAA, 640x480 4xAA and 1024x768 4xAA all give same temps, 640x480 without AA runs somewhat cooler.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rohlfinator said:
Very simple. Just add thermal paste and superglue to the RAMsinks.

I was one of the early adopters and helped propel it to internet fame :lol

It's a really fantastic cooler, you can run it passive if you want.

Doytch

dasupremeone said:
the g-15 or the g-11 keyboard? Anyone recommend one or the other?

Thanks!

I really like my G15. I couldn't see a reason for getting a G11. If you don't want to spend the money on the G15, just get any random keyboard.

Anyway, I have the 2nd edition G15, the orange backlit one. I didn't really expect much from the LCD, but there's a lot of cool stuff you can do with it. Logitech released the SDK, so people have gone and written a lot of different plugins for various things. I wrote one that gets sports scores (nhl, mlb, etc.) and displays them on the screen. Others include process managers (with the incredibly awesome ability to kill unresponsive processes), IM clients, notepads, and others. g15forums.com to check it out for yourself.

The macros work well from what I've tried, but I only use it to launch programs anyway.

TheFatOne

I need some help ASAP. I finished building my computer. When I was done I tried to power the computer on but it won't. The fan led's turn on for a split second then the power goes off. The motherboards led is green. Please help I have no clue whats wrong.

My Build
Asus P5q pro
BFG GeForce GTX 260 896MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Absolute Bastard said:
It wasn't exessivily hard, it took me about an hour because I had to cut a corner off one memory heatsink because it touched one heatpipe and I fucked up by installing the sink to the card before I attached fans to the sink. Turbo module would have been easier, but I swore I would never again use anything less than 120mm fan.
Hazaro said:
Very simple. Just add thermal paste and superglue to the RAMsinks.

I was one of the early adopters and helped propel it to internet fame :lol

It's a really fantastic cooler, you can run it passive if you want.
Cool, thanks. For some reason dicking around with the cooler on a GPU makes me more nervous than on a CPU, but if it's as easy as you say, I might have to give it a shot.

Minsc said:
I remember seeing a whole bunch of benches for 512 & 1024 meg cards with them all being equal... it matters the AA & game too I guess, but do you have any examples where there's a large difference? I know if you throw enough high res texture mods in to oblivion it will bring a 512 meg card to it's knees, but that's a very unique situation.
Here's one benchmark where it makes a dramatic difference. It's kinda weird though, since the differences were really negligible for pretty much every other game in the review.

Man I am having the TOUGHEST time getting my PIIx3 running stable at anything higher than 3.3 in OCCT. The longest I've gotten was 30mins, when I try to run it at an hour my PC crashes. So frustrating getting this thing stable, I've read every guide and used various setting from all over the web to no avail. I was so angry after my 3rd CMOS reset last night I was thinking of selling all this shit and buying an i7 and new mobo.

kuYuri

Hazaro said:
I was just suggesting that it might be outputting in some sort of HDTV mode.
If you are in game and use your monitor auto-image adjust does that fix it?

Strider2K99 said:
I'm pretty sure I did press the auto button, but I can't remember right now. Will try again later on.

So I finally got the time to do it again and pressing Auto on my monitor doesn't fix the issue. Anyway, I've figured out a few things since.

Under Vista, the issue doesn't exist, including in games with the exception of games that you can run in DX10. In DX10, my monitor starts giving me underscan issues, but when I set the games in DX9 (in this case, I tested Crysis and Gears of War PC) they ran fine without any underscan issues.

Under XP, some of the older games gave me underscan issues (I tried Starcraft and GTAIII), but Counterstrike: Source, L4D, and Half-Life: Source gave me no underscan issues. Valve games don't seem to be affected.

Overall, it seems very inconsistent. Once again, I think it's some kind of video card issue and I will probably just stick with DVI until I can figure out why it does this.

Ashhong

what do you guys think of this PSU? i heard the raidmax that i bought isnt very good so Im looking to replace it.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_500w_700w_modxstream_pro_power_supply

my current setup is
8gb PC2-6400
overclocked 512mb 4870
overclocked e7400 to 3.35ghz

is 500w enough? i was also looking at the one below but dont like its red led. also it says it has 1 6pin and 1 6+2 pin, does that mean i can use that 6+2 pin as a 6 pin? meaning its separated?

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10009795

Minsc

Gold Member
rohlfinator said:
Cool, thanks. For some reason dicking around with the cooler on a GPU makes me more nervous than on a CPU, but if it's as easy as you say, I might have to give it a shot.

Here's one benchmark where it makes a dramatic difference. It's kinda weird though, since the differences were really negligible for pretty much every other game in the review.

Yes, that is what I was looking for thanks. Interesting how GRID destroys the 512 meg cards at 2560x1600, I guess that's a pretty damned hardcore resolution that most people would not experience any time soon you have to admit (with 4xAA to boot, sheeeit).

Would have been even better if they did 1920x1200 and 1280x720 as well for the game. I can see how if you were gaming at 2560x1600 you might not be satisfied with a 512 meg card though.

Joe211

I need a new computer case, I 'm leaning towards the mini p180
Do you have others suggestions guys?

Ashhong said:
what do you guys think of this PSU? i heard the raidmax that i bought isnt very good so Im looking to replace it.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_500w_700w_modxstream_pro_power_supply

my current setup is
8gb PC2-6400
overclocked 512mb 4870

is 500w enough? i was also looking at the one below but dont like its red led. also it says it has 1 6pin and 1 6+2 pin, does that mean i can use that 6+2 pin as a 6 pin? meaning its separated?

read the first post

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Ashhong

Joe211 said:
I need a new computer case, I 'm leaning towards the mini p180
Do you have others suggestions guys?

read the first post

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

ive used that before, but the guys here told me that was like the bare minimum or something. i did it as close to my setup as i could, and it says 351w. but i wanted a more realistic answer, since i know a simple 350w psu probably wouldnt work. i was also asking for an opinion on the PSU itself.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:

my current setup is
8gb PC2-6400
overclocked 512mb 4870

It's enough.

I'd get a Corsair though.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004
Rebates always come through with them.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
MWS Natural said:
Man I am having the TOUGHEST time getting my PIIx3 running stable at anything higher than 3.3 in OCCT. The longest I've gotten was 30mins, when I try to run it at an hour my PC crashes. So frustrating getting this thing stable, I've read every guide and used various setting from all over the web to no avail. I was so angry after my 3rd CMOS reset last night I was thinking of selling all this shit and buying an i7 and new mobo.

Whats OCCT? I have mine overclocked to 3.2 and i just run games and stuff, Never bother with any of those prime test things or other stuff.

I also have no heat gains really over the basic 2.8 Ghz on stock cooler.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Metalic Sand said:
Whats OCCT? I have mine overclocked to 3.2 and i just run games and stuff, Never bother with any of those prime test things or other stuff.

OCCT is just another stress testing program like PRIME or ORTHOS.

Minsc said:
Yes, that is what I was looking for thanks. Interesting how GRID destroys the 512 meg cards at 2560x1600, I guess that's a pretty damned hardcore resolution that most people would not experience any time soon you have to admit (with 4xAA to boot, sheeeit).

Would have been even better if they did 1920x1200 and 1280x720 as well for the game. I can see how if you were gaming at 2560x1600 you might not be satisfied with a 512 meg card though.
Yeah, it seems to have the most impact at that resolution, though I've seen a few reviews that show it giving a small boost at 1920x1200 and even 1650x1050. It seems to really depend on the game, though. IIRC, Far Cry 2 is one game that benefits quite a bit from the extra memory, but Source Engine games have almost no change.

TheFatOne

Hooray I figured out my problem. It seems that I was so excited to get all my parts that I forgot to put the spacers on before the motherboard. After months of research and finally having the guts to build a PC myself I'm so happy. I don't have a camera but I will borrow my sisters camera and post some pics up. Everything went together like legos it was so easy. Also troubleshooting it was a breeze. I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me along the way.

Ashhong

TheFatOne said:
Hooray I figured out my problem. It seems that I was so excited to get all my parts that I forgot to put the spacers on before the motherboard. After months of research and finally having the guts to build a PC myself I'm so happy. I don't have a camera but I will borrow my sisters camera and post some pics up. Everything went together like legos it was so easy. Also troubleshooting it was a breeze. I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me along the way.

hows that psu ur using?

adg1034

Okay, so my current plan is to upgrade my rig this June (when I get back to the States). I'm currently running a stock E6400 (shut up) against 2GB of RAM and an 8800GT. The cheap side of me wants to just upgrade within the constraints of the motherboard I currently have (LGA775/DDR2), but the performance geek wants to bite the bullet and go all out- i7, 8GB of DDR3, etc.

If I was going to err on the side of value, my current thought would be the E8400 or whatever the $200-250 quad-core part is right now (whatever replaced the Q6600), an extra 2 gigs of RAM, and a 1GB HD4870 (powering a 1920x1080 display). But part of me thinks that's being too conservative. I just don't know. GAF?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
adg1034 said:
Okay, so my current plan is to upgrade my rig this June (when I get back to the States). I'm currently running a stock E6400 (shut up) against 2GB of RAM and an 8800GT. The cheap side of me wants to just upgrade within the constraints of the motherboard I currently have (LGA775/DDR2), but the performance geek wants to bite the bullet and go all out- i7, 8GB of DDR3, etc.

If I was going to err on the side of value, my current thought would be the E8400 or whatever the $200-250 quad-core part is right now (whatever replaced the Q6600), an extra 2 gigs of RAM, and a 1GB HD4870 (powering a 1920x1080 display). But part of me thinks that's being too conservative. I just don't know. GAF?
You don't even need the 8400. Overclock the E6400 to 3Ghz and upgrade your graphics card while getting another 2GB of RAM.

adg1034

Hazaro said:
You don't even need the 8400. Overclock the E6400 to 3Ghz and upgrade your graphics card while getting another 2GB of RAM.

You know, that probably would be able to tide me over until the i7s come down to non-crazy pricing levels. I've just had terrible luck with OCing. Eh. I'll put $300 towards the vid card, RAM, and a decent HSF.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
adg1034 said:
You know, that probably would be able to tide me over until the i7s come down to non-crazy pricing levels. I've just had terrible luck with OCing. Eh. I'll put $300 towards the vid card, RAM, and a decent HSF.
There's really not much to it. I think it's worth the time to save $130 on a new processor.

For a nice cheap HS check the Rosewill ones ($22), or even stick with the stock cooler.
A nice bump to 2.8 to 3.2 shouldn't push the voltage that much.

adg1034

Oh, I know. I've been running a Scythe Ninja (fanless ever since I bent the clips and was too lazy to replace them), and the temps just get too high for any substantial OC. But I'll make this happen.

Minsc said:

Well the thing with video card memory is as long as you have "enough" performance is always going to be basically the same. The problem is that once you run out perforamnce really can just drop off a cliff, its rarely a gradual thing.

Cards like the 9600GT, 9800GT, 4850 and lower are never really going to benefit from the extra memory as they just don't have the raw bandwidth and/or performance to cope with situations that demand more than 512MB anyway. By the time you reach that sort of usage, something else (likely bandwidth as it happens) is probabely going to bottleneck these cards first anyway.

However, cards like the 4870, GTX 260 and above quite clearly do have enough resources to cope with these situations, they quite literally have damn near double the bandwidth of the cards just one tier below them and as such coping with memory intense scenes is a lot more reasonable. So, by going the 512MB the problem is that you're limiting the potential of your card if you're going mid-high end. Crysis, GTA 4, Grid, Far Crys 2, Mirror's Edge and the like can already quite comfortably use more than 512MB at a decent resolution given the huge textures they use, so the evidence is already there. The 260s/4870s and above of this world CAN deal with more than 512MB of RAM so if you want future usefullness out of them or decent usage at 1080p with nice IQ quality now, having a nice chunk of RAM is a smart move.

Basically, all that waffle comes down to this? Planning on buying a 4870 or GTX 260 or better ? Then make sure you've got more than 512MB of RAM even if the advantages aren't huge right now (although at 1080p and above they are there in plenty games already). If your card is below that standard its not really worth the bother.

Its not as if this situation is unique. You only have to look at the ill fated 320MB 8800GTS. That card quite clearly could handle more RAM than it had, and whilst at release it performed on par with its 640MB sibling within the year it was looking a very, very poor investment as its framebuffer just can't cope with the demands of newer games, especially at decent resolutions. The 640MB 880GTS as it happens is still a pretty damn decent solution for modern games, and most will play pretty well at high settings.

Hazaro said:
OCCT is just another stress testing program like PRIME or ORTHOS.

I'd have to add its probably the most comprehensive one out there as well. It has two very different CPU tests, each of which will push your CPU much further than Prime and it has built in temperature and voltage monitoring which is very useful. Along with that it now comes with a very useful GPU stress test with error reporting, in a similar vein to Furmark. As a one stop, all in one stress testing program for OCers its the best solution out there imo. Well worth the download, and quite customisable too, which is always handy.

Oh, and it even has a "PSU" stress test that runs both the CPU and GPU tests at once, which will make your system exhibit the absolute peak operating conditions its ever likely to face. If it passes an hour of two of that, you can be pretty damn sure your PSU is up to the job and your OCs are nice and stable. Of course DO NOT run this test if you're using a cheapy PSU without the built in modern overvoltage, overcurrent etc. protections. If anything's going to make a cheapy PSU blow up, that test is it.

Here are some benchmarks after popping in my second 4870 1gb.

14uxf9d.jpg

n1tlqr.jpg

2l95dgx.jpg

308l5ah.jpg

Metalic Sand said:

Yeah it's just another stress test program but it really rapes you CPU. I can pretty much pass everything but OCCT. I've been pulling my hair out trying to get my PII stable with any good overclock.

Gamerecks are you able to get your PII stable for anything over 30min in OCCT with that overclock?

TheFatOne

Hey guys at the moment I don't have any PC games. So I was wondering how I could stress test my system. Is there a way I can do that?

SNUG REVOL said:
How are 4890 compared to 260's or 275's? Im looking at buying a 4890 this weekend.

Based on the reviews I've seen it a bit faster that 260 and roughly same as 275. Some games run a bit faster on ATI and some a bit faster on Nvidia.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So when overclocking should i only worry about massive heat gains as long as i never crash and my games run good "All i care about" :lol

Staying at 3.2ghz but mite go up to 3.4/3.5 in the future. Ive been fairly lucky with getting no noticeable heat gains. I run hardware monitor 24/7. Also if anyone knows what is a acceptable Temp for phenom 2 X3's for how high one can push. Ive only ever hit 33 celsius from futuremark vantage or some crysis playing(Demo).

Top Bottom