• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

yeah.... totally RMA time.

the 2nd core on my 4870x2 is bad, enabling Catalyst AI causes crazy stutter then either a CTD or straight up BSOD. Wonder what the turn around time will be......

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
MickeyKnox said:
yeah.... totally RMA time.

the 2nd core on my 4870x2 is bad, enabling Catalyst AI causes crazy stutter then either a CTD or straight up BSOD. Wonder what the turn around time will be......
Did you get it from NewEgg? I RMA'd my 4870x2 and they gave me a GTX295 because they didn't have the exact same model I had.

edit: Turn around time for NewEgg was close to 2 weeks though :(

godhandiscen said:
Did you get it from NewEgg? I RMA'd my 4870x2 and they gave me a GTX295 because they didn't have the exact same model I had.

edit: Turn around time for NewEgg was close to 2 weeks though :(
RMA as in return to manufacturer, in my case Diamond. I'll try calling them tomorrow, I've RMA'ed a mobo with eVGA and ram with Corsair both those experiences have been painless so hopefully this goes well.

Speaking of ram, I just picked up 8 gigs of PC8500 for $100,
and yes you fucking jerks I am running a 64bit OS.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MickeyKnox said:
RMA as in return to manufacturer, in my case Diamond. I'll try calling them tomorrow, I've RMA'ed a mobo with eVGA and ram with Corsair both those experiences have been painless so hopefully this goes well.

Speaking of ram, I just picked up 8 gigs of PC8500 for $100,
and yes you fucking jerks I am running a 64bit OS.
Definitely try returning it to the place you bought it first.

I think Diamond is pretty good though.
eVGA and Corsair sure are.
Shinz Kicker said:
holy cow... i think i need to reset my cpu fan. I started to oc my q6600 today. i get it up to 317x9 and its stable but its running at 80+ at full load.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200024 i have this cooler
Oh yeah.

Check the voltage you are getting in CPU-Z and take a pic of the CPU and HS without wiping the paste off.

I'd have that at <70C load stressed.

I'd shoot for 333x9 or 400x8 or so. Should be around 1.3-1.35V

M.Bluth

Guys, what do you think of the Cooler Master Hyper N520 for i7?

Shops around here won't bring Noctua or the TRUE, all they have is the N520, and the Zalman cooler will arrive next week (though they've been saying next week for a month now, so I dunno >.<)

Also, I have no idea what thermal paste should I pick, I found the Arctic Silver 5 which is popular among reviewing sites.
Do you recommend a diffrent paste? Maybe list some and I'll see if they sell 'em around here.

We've got a 10 days break coming up, so I want to take advantage and overclock my CPU :)

Ashhong

Angelus said:
I got around to installing my 4870 card last night. man what a cramped fit,I was warned that even though it would fit my HP Pavilion case,that it would be a close fit,having to manage space with the power cables. Just made it,whew. I'm running stock fans and for now I just leave the side panel on the case own when running games,temperature idles at around 60C total,and around 70 for when running games. Eventually I'll look into some collants to help manage the temperature abit better. I haven't seriously on it yet though,well outside of playing that turdy game called X-Blades,lordy was a stinker. I knew I was buying a bad game when it was on clearance at Target two weeks ago,haha. But anyways it runs so smoothly with many effects on high,again this card is amazing. Other than that I've been gaming by trying out demos and have been getting used to Catalyst auto managing my fans and temperature till I have more time to read up on controlling the settings to my liking.

But this card,oh my god. I'm seeing a dramatic jump in performance,but then again I've been gaming on an integrated Radeon 200 for the last 3 years,gaming with the 4870 is amazing now. Games run so smooth with many effects on very high settings,again amazing card.

I wanna say thanks to you all who helped educating me on what/what not to do when upgrading the PC. Your input here has been an experience and I'm a better gamer for it. I've learned how to not be afraid to buy and install hardware now. No more being at the mercy of Best Buy with their pricing and installation fees. Its weird but there is something really satisfying about the fact that I took the upgrading into my own hands and came out ok without blowing stuff up.
:D

Actually it gets quite addicting buying from places like New Egg where you save good money,then there is that anticipation of waiting for the stuff to arrive,then installing and enjoying a revamped computer,the money saved and the tinkering inside the box has been really satisfying.

Again many thanks to you all for recommending and pointing the way for me. I just hope I can return the favor and help someone else that was in my shoes. The next time its time to upgrade it won't be so confusing,I'll look into probably building my own PC. Its not really hard,just abit intimidating,but once you jump in its quite enjoyable.

Thanks everyone.

wait, ATI Catalyst can control fans of the GPU? i should start using it. any suggestions as to why my CCC doesnt load? im going to try and reinstall it so i can see the error it gives. i remember googling didnt help me at the time.

edit: it works now, thank god for updates.

what is the best recommended program to overclock a gpu? is CCC a good choice? i want to stop using this ASUS SmartDoctor if i can get CCC to control my fans.

ok one more question guys. on the asus program i had it overclocked to Engine: 800mhz, Memory: 3850mhz. CCC doesnt have an option to go to 3850 for the memory...only goes up to 1200. can someone explain this to me? my friend gave me all the info before

edit2: getting rivatuner..

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
M.Bluth said:
Guys, what do you think of the Cooler Master Hyper N520 for i7?

Shops around here won't bring Noctua or the TRUE, all they have is the N520, and the Zalman cooler will arrive next week (though they've been saying next week for a month now, so I dunno >.<)

Also, I have no idea what thermal paste should I pick, I found the Arctic Silver 5 which is popular among reviewing sites.
Do you recommend a diffrent paste? Maybe list some and I'll see if they sell 'em around here.

We've got a 10 days break coming up, so I want to take advantage and overclock my CPU :)
N520 is ok, it's smaller which is a bonus.
AS5, Ceramique, and ICD7 are all great. If they have ICD7 get that though, but I doubt they have it.

Use Rivatuner to overclock.

Ashhong

Hazaro said:
AS5, Ceramique, and ICD7 are all great. If they have ICD7 get that though, but I doubt they have it.

Use Rivatuner to overclock.

rivatuner is confusing. and it said something about my version of windows doesnt accept unsigned drivers, and how its not tested with my current drivers. can you answer my questions on CCC? i think im going to use that until i can research more on rivatuner

M.Bluth

Hazaro said:
yeah, I asked about ICD7 and they don't have it >.>
But I think they do have Ceramique. So, Ceramique or AS5?

edit: Ceramique is not conductive, while AS5 is, right?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
M.Bluth said:
yeah, I asked about ICD7 and they don't have it >.>
But I think they do have Ceramique. So, Ceramique or AS5?

edit: Ceramique is not conductive, while AS5 is, right?
or capacitive, or both. I'd go with AS5 since I think it's easier to clean.

I've had thermal paste smeared on the open transistors of my old 8800GT so I'm not too worried.
Ashhong said:
rivatuner is confusing. and it said something about my version of windows doesnt accept unsigned drivers, and how its not tested with my current drivers. can you answer my questions on CCC? i think im going to use that until i can research more on rivatuner
CCC has a limit I think, unsigned drivers are fine. Download the latest version of Rivatuner if you haven't already.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/rivatuner-20-fan-speed--overclock-guide/

Ashhong

Hazaro said:
or capacitive, or both. I'd go with AS5 since I think it's easier to clean.

I've had thermal paste smeared on the open transistors of my old 8800GT so I'm not too worried.
CCC has a limit I think, unsigned drivers are fine. Download the latest version of Rivatuner if you haven't already.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/rivatuner-20-fan-speed--overclock-guide/

yea i have the latest. when it installs, rivatuner said it could not be installed correctly because my version of vista doesnt support unsigned drivers at all or something like that.

and it cant be a limit...because CCC only goes up to 1200, where the ASUS program had my stock memory at 3500

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:
yea i have the latest. when it installs, rivatuner said it could not be installed correctly because my version of vista doesnt support unsigned drivers at all or something like that.

and it cant be a limit...because CCC only goes up to 1200, where the ASUS program had my stock memory at 3500
Huh?

Trash that Asus program and just use Rivatuner. The limit on CCC is 1200, you just said so.

Then again if CCC is working then you could use that, but my experience with it is limited.

Ashhong

Hazaro said:
Huh?

Trash that Asus program and just use Rivatuner. The limit on CCC is 1200, you just said so.

Then again if CCC is working then you could use that, but my experience with it is limited.

i meant, my stock memory speed is 3500, so how could CCC limit it to 1200? my thought is there is some kind of multiplier that i dont understand

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:
i meant, my stock memory speed is 3500, so how could CCC limit it to 1200? my thought is there is some kind of multiplier that i dont understand
GPU memory =/= System memory
I meant CCC limits your overclock.

Just wanted to chime in and say I love my 18.4" Sony AW lappy.

overclocked GPU pulling 1920x1080 on UT3 with just about everything on.

1TB HDD solution made of win.

display to die for.

runs like a champ.

undervolted to get over 2 hours out of the standard battery. could get ~4 if I sprung for the big battery.

Ashhong

Hazaro said:
GPU memory =/= System memory
I meant CCC limits your overclock.

sorry completely new to gpu specs. but yea, im talking about my gpu memory. according to what i used to use, my stock gpu memory speed was 3500? ill have to double check that. if thats true, how could "overdrive" be limited to 1000, thats y there must have been some kind of multiplier in effect with my old program

edit: ah ok newegg says

Memory Clock 3600MHz (900MHz)

so im assuming a simple 4x multiplier

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:
sorry completely new to gpu specs. but yea, im talking about my gpu memory. according to what i used to use, my stock gpu memory speed was 3500? ill have to double check that. if thats true, how could "overdrive" be limited to 1000, thats y there must have been some kind of multiplier in effect with my old program

edit: ah ok newegg says

Memory Clock 3600MHz (900MHz)

so im assuming a simple 4x multiplier
3.6 'effective' the clock is actually 900Mhz, it just does 4 things in that single clock.

Hazaro said:
Definitely try returning it to the place you bought it first.

I think Diamond is pretty good though.
eVGA and Corsair sure are.

Oh yeah.

Check the voltage you are getting in CPU-Z and take a pic of the CPU and HS without wiping the paste off.

I'd have that at <70C load stressed.

I'd shoot for 333x9 or 400x8 or so. Should be around 1.3-1.35V

v-core is at 1.33
i went up to 320 and the heat was up to 100 so i shut it off. The cpu seemed like it was running stable but, i will go by sum artic silver (didnt us it the first time) and re set it later.

Hazaro said:
Shouldn't be that hot.

What is the V-core idle and load?

Either way you should reseat.

http://jasonwynkoop.com/stuff/HWMonitor.txt ( here is my hwmonitor file)

and a screen cap of realtemp and hwmonitor

pc%20stuff.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Shinz Kicker said:
http://jasonwynkoop.com/stuff/HWMonitor.txt ( here is my hwmonitor file)

and a screen cap of realtemp and hwmonitor

http://jasonwynkoop.com/stuff/pc%20stuff.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
60C idle is very high.

I'd reseat that as soon as you get the chance. Not to mention it's in speed step too (Running below normal clocks to keep power/temps down)

Take a pic of the HS and CPU too (when you reseat), but I'd imagine that there's not enough force or a leg is loose on the HS. Just from the temps at least.

Kritz

Banned
Quick question,

What's the best card I can upgrade to from an 800GT 512mb, taking into account value for money but still having a decent enough performance boost to make the upgrade worthwhile?

Looking online briefly, it seems my best pick is something like a GTX 260 which is priced at around $300-350 AUD. I don't think I'd be willing to spend more than $400, and it seems anything less than a $300 card won't really be too much of a boost over what I have.

I think I might just wait it out until I actually care about one of the games I can't run at maximum settings...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kritz said:
Quick question,

What's the best card I can upgrade to from an 800GT 512mb, taking into account value for money but still having a decent enough performance boost to make the upgrade worthwhile?

Looking online briefly, it seems my best pick is something like a GTX 260 which is priced at around $300-350 AUD. I don't think I'd be willing to spend more than $400, and it seems anything less than a $300 card won't really be too much of a boost over what I have.

I think I might just wait it out until I actually care about one of the games I can't run at maximum settings...
Coming from someone who went 8800GT to GTX 260 I'd say you should only upgrade if you aren't satisfied running what you already have, or are interested in a bigger monitor.

I upgraded since it was cheap at the time for me.

Kritz

Banned
Hazaro said:
Coming from someone who went 8800GT to GTX 260 I'd say you should only upgrade if you aren't satisfied running what you already have, or are interested in a bigger monitor.

I upgraded since it was cheap at the time for me.

Yeah, I'm just having this weird paranoia caused from not being able to run STALKER, Crysis and Far Cry 2 at the highest possible settings.

I might just save my money and grab something when the cards come down in price a bit. Of course, by then, there'll be some other game I can't run with 16xAA and the cycle will continue.

Tideas

Banned
Kritz said:
Yeah, I'm just having this weird paranoia caused from not being able to run STALKER, Crysis and Far Cry 2 at the highest possible settings.

I might just save my money and grab something when the cards come down in price a bit. Of course, by then, there'll be some other game I can't run with 16xAA and the cycle will continue.

when you say "high possible settings", you gotta say what resolution you're planning on running at.

If it's 1440 x 900, no need for any higher than a 4850. If it's 1680 x 1050, then a 4870 1gig or 260 (216 cores)

Yazus

It's normal for my 4850 to run at more than 75/80°C when I play games like Aion/Last Remnant at 1440x900 all maximum? Core temp is always at 60°

Kritz said:

Stalker Shadow, or stalker Clear sky. Clear Sky is a beast of a game.

I also ordered some thermal paste and remover and will re-set my cpu as soon as i get a chance.

The Chef

Whats everyones thoughts on the Dell Studio Laptop?

I was considering getting one for work/gaming.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8700 (3MB cache/2.53GHz/1066Mhz FSB)
Edge-to-Edge HD Widescreen 16.0 inch WLED LCD (1366x768) W/2.0 MP
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms)
500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
8X DVD+/- RW(DVD/CD read/write) Slot Load Drive
ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 3670 - 512MB

$1274

Any thoughts on that GPU? Im digging through Tom's hardware to see what they have to say about it but I'm not having much luck.

adg1034

The Chef said:
Whats everyones thoughts on the Dell Studio Laptop?

I was considering getting one for work/gaming.

Any thoughts on that GPU? Im digging through Tom's hardware to see what they have to say about it but I'm not having much luck.

I'd explore upgrading the display- 1366x768 isn't very much at all.

godhandiscen

The Chef said:
They have the ugraded one - 1920x1080 but its a $250 upgrade. That does seem like a must though.
I wouldn't go for the upgrade since that videocard will not be able to use that resolution. If you want screen space then go for it, but that videocard will not be able to play games beyond the 720p resolution at decent settings.

adg1034

godhandiscen said:
I wouldn't go for the upgrade since that videocard will not be able to use that resolution. If you want screen space then go for it, but that videocard will not be able to play games beyond the 720p resolution at decent settings.

While this is most certainly true, I guess it depends on what kind of work/gaming split you're talking about, and on what kinds of games you'd be planning on playing. If you're talking games from 2007 on back, you might not need to worry, but if you're hoping to play Dawn of War II and Alan Wake... yeah.

The Chef

adg1034 said:
While this is most certainly true, I guess it depends on what kind of work/gaming split you're talking about, and on what kinds of games you'd be planning on playing. If you're talking games from 2007 on back, you might not need to worry, but if you're hoping to play Dawn of War II and Alan Wake... yeah.

So really then this card cant handle any newer games at a decent settings correct?

godhandiscen

adg1034 said:
Well, a better resolution monitor cannot do any harm, it is not like he cannot lower the resolution of his games. The major consideration imo would be screen space. I think a 768 is too limiting for serious work. However, I code and I need many windows open.
The Chef said:
So really then this card cant handle any newer games at a decent settings correct?
If you want a good laptop graphics card, try a 9800+. Last time BestBuy had a sale on Asus laptops with this card for 1300. I consider that a steal given the performance. Also, you could try waiting for the 4870/50 ATI laptop cards. I wouldn't call a mobility radeon 3000+ series future proof.

What CPU would you guys recommend for around 150 bucks?

I currently have an old Athlon 4000+ which desperately needs to be updated. I already have 2gb of ram (about to upgrade to 6gb) and I have an HD 4850 so I think I'll be ready to see Crysis in it's glory at 1440x900 on High.

The Chef

godhandiscen said:
If you want a good laptop graphics card, try a 9800+. Last time BestBuy had a sale on Asus laptops with this card for 1300. I consider that a steal given the performance. Also, you could try waiting for the 4870/50 ATI laptop cards. I wouldn't call a mobility radeon 3000+ series future proof.

I will check this out for sure, thanks for the help guys.

godhandiscen

shadowsdarknes said:

I currently have an old Athlon 4000+ which desperately needs to be updated. I already have 2gb of ram (about to upgrade to 6gb) and I have an HD 4850 so I think I'll be ready to see Crysis in it's glory at 1440x900 on High.

Try the Athlon FX x2 lineup.

Also, I am considering buying this
logitech-g13.jpg

Is it worth it? I think they offer better control than a regular keyboard. Does anybody have experience with this?

Zyzyxxz

shadowsdarknes said:

are you on socket 939 or AM2?

I was gonna recommend a Phenom II 920 but you need a new mobo then unless you have AM2+

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this build in the very near future (within a week). Just wanted to get some input and/or suggestions:

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz

OCZ XMP Ready Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600

PNY VCGGTX275XPB GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB

CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V SLI/CrossFire 80 PLUS Modular Active PFC

LIAN LI PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower

The GTX275 has a $50 savings, making it $210 so I figure thats a pretty good deal. I'm also torn between just throwing in a dvd-rom for cheap or getting a Blu-ray drive. Not really going to use it for watching movies, but it would be nice to have one I guess. As for storage, I don't want it to be a bottleneck so should I grab 3 samsungs for a raid 5 array, or get 1 or 2 and then a OCZ vertex SSD drive? I could really only afford the 60gb one though and that's really small even for just an OS/apps/games drive. Also is it worth it to go ahead and get 2 6gb ram kits for 12gb total? That seems like overkill. I've always wanted to try a Lian-li case to, used mainly Antec and Thermaltake the last few years and really like the look of this case and the price is right.

Thanks for any input!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The Chef said:
I will check this out for sure, thanks for the help guys.
MSI and Gateway offer the same spec laptop for <$1,200
It had a 1GB 9800M which will play anything on the market, 250 or 320GB space, webcam.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152095

Someone here ordered one and someone I know bought one also. In person it is a very nice laptop.

Pros:
-Cheap
-Can play any game on market today at at least 30fps (Burnout Paradise looks fantastic at 60fps)
-Almost no bloatware programs
-Looks fantastic

Cons:
-Keyboard pops up a bit
-OS / DATA partition (OS is like 40GB) [This could be good if you care]
-Exhaust comes out right side, but is cool unless you are gaming
-1440x900 (Can find 1920x1200, but the video card will have a harder time)

Here is the Best Buy version:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...7805u&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1218043606827

Some of them are 1920x1200

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
godhandiscen said:
Ok, the laptop I was talking about is this one. You cannot let thius deal pass.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat177800050007&type=category

There is a more expensive one that has a 9800+ and a higuer res screen, which goes for ~$1300. Look for it.
Default res is too low at 1366x768 imo

I'd check BestBuy for the Gateway with the 1920x1200 screen, that's an absolute steal at that price.

"The spec is for a WXGA (1440x900) screen but so far every one thats gotten one at BB has found it to have a WUXGA (1920x1200) screen."

You can also buy a 1920x1200 version of the laptop for more as well. The 1GB of vram helps then.

Zyzyxxz said:
are you on socket 939 or AM2?

I was gonna recommend a Phenom II 920 but you need a new mobo then unless you have AM2+

Motherboard

Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: M2N68-LA
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Narra2-GL8E

That's what came with my HP computer.

So I think I have AM2+.

Have mercy on a computer noob.

Zyzyxxz

shadowsdarknes said:
Motherboard

Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: M2N68-LA
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Narra2-GL8E

That's what came with my HP computer.

So I think I have AM2+.

Have mercy on a computer noob.

seems like it has AM2+ support.

Then yeah go for the Phenom 920 or the 940 if you can spring for it, the 940 has unlocked multiplier and overclocks better.

I got a 920 running @ ~3.3 ghz stable and its running a little warm paired w/ a 4870 and 4 gigs of ram. I play all my games fine except Crysis which has its hiccups. You don't need 6 gigs of ram also. Well with the way DDR2 is priced might as well go with 8 gigs if you want 6 and keep it dual channeled.

Top Bottom