• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Jasconius said:
Looking to upgrade my PC finally (had it for about 5 years now) to something that's not top-of-the-line but will hopefully last me about as long. I don't play a lot of graphics-intensive games (really mostly WoW these days) but I also do want to be able to play non-FPS games that come out for the next five years without having to upgrade a lot.

Having been 5 years since I built my last PC, I'm really out of the loop on PC hardware, but after looking through the tips here I came up with this on newegg:

$24.99 SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM
$59.99 Rosewill R5604-TBK 0.8mm Japanese Cold Rolled Steel Screw-less Dual 120mm Fans ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$79.99 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
$59.99 SAPPHIRE 100248L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
$69.99 Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power ... - Retail
$39.99 Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB or PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail
$8.99 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
$53.99 mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996587 - Retail
$167.99 Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
$26.99 COOLER MASTER RR-CCH-L9U1-GP 92mm Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler - Retail
$229.94 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM + ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$26.99 Shipping

Total = $849.43 - $35 MIR

I've always built my PCs and looking around at premade sites I didn't really see anything that struck me as a super deal and still gave me good quality stuff that will last. However, I am open to any suggestions and would really love any input on this stuff! This is pretty much the high end of my budget, maybe $50 more but if you have any ideas on where I might be able to save some money and still get what I'm looking for, please tell me!
I would recommend getting either an ATI 4770 card or a 4830 to last you longer than 3850 card. Also, take Evillore's suggestion and use W7 until next year.

Good luck and enjoy! :)

Jasconius

Labombadog said:
I would recommend getting either an ATI 4770 card or a 4830 to last you longer than 3850 card. Also, take Evillore's suggestion and use W7 until next year.

Good luck and enjoy! :)
Oh yeah, I forgot to put in why I chose that card - I'm not planning on upgrading my monitor currently which is a 17" 1280x1024 native resolution monitor. I just chose the video card based on the OP which said it could do 60fps easily at that resolution. Since it looks like it's about $40 more for the 4770, I'll probably just stick with the 3850 and just buy a new video card when and if I actually upgrade the monitor, unless there's a reason to still get a better one now.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does publicly mean it'll be on their site for a while or public like the beta was where it was available for a couple hours?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx

"On Tuesday, May 5 (PST), the RC will be available to everyone via our Customer Preview Program. As with the Beta, the Windows 7 RC Customer Preview Program is a broad public program that offers the RC free to anyone who wants to download it. It will be available at least through June 30, 2009, with no limits on the number of downloads or product keys available."

EviLore said:

"On Tuesday, May 5 (PST), the RC will be available to everyone via our Customer Preview Program. As with the Beta, the Windows 7 RC Customer Preview Program is a broad public program that offers the RC free to anyone who wants to download it. It will be available at least through June 30, 2009, with no limits on the number of downloads or product keys available."

Ah, cool. Thanks for the help.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Grayman said:
really don't know what to try with this. Computer is just rebooting while playing games.
Give memtest86+ a run overnight and see if anything pops up.

Everything on computer is up to date?
Triple checked your cables?
What parts are you using again?

Grayman

I'm going to have to yoink out the dvd drive again to run memtest

GIGABYTE EP45 UD3L motherboard
2x2gb gskill ram, put into same coloured slots
Intel e5200 2.5ghz
EVGA 260GTX
640GB SATA harddrive

The case is an antec with a 430W PSU. There is a 120mm case fan with a speed control set to high. One of the GPU plugs is the six ended one from the PSU and the other is an adapter attached to 2 4 plugs.

Windows xp 32bit, SP3, I ran the driver disc with my motherboard(networking would not work without it)

What do you mean by triple checking cables?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Grayman said:
I'm going to have to yoink out the dvd drive again to run memtest

What do you mean by triple checking cables?
1) What? There's a CD version of memtest
2) I've double checked my cables and missed stupid things before. That's all.

Grayman

the dvd drive from my old computer did not fit into the case with the short ide cable I had. It plugs in at the very bottom of the motherboard.

I will try unplugging and replugging most of the cables back in. Does it matter what chain of cords each component is plugged into?

Grayman said:
really don't know what to try with this. Computer is just rebooting while playing games.

Have you done any overclocking? Is the CPU fan and case fans working properly? How are you temps? Did you do a fresh install of windows? You can run chkdsk to see if you HDD has any bad sectors. You probably just missed a cable somewhere or something is overheating. Just a few things off the top of my head.

Grayman said:

Had the same problem awhile back, for me it turned out to be my powersupply.

I did 3 things
1) ran memtest to make sure it wasn't faulty ram
2) Checked GPU temps, updated my drivers
3) Checked CPU temps

After that I replaced the powersupply with a slightly beefier one and all became well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gully State said:
Had the same problem awhile back, for me it turned out to be my powersupply.

I did 3 things
1) ran memtest to make sure it wasn't faulty ram
2) Checked GPU temps, updated my drivers
3) Checked CPU temps

After that I replaced the powersupply with a slightly beefier one and all became well.
What were you running back then?
A solid 430w for a 260 rig is fine as the system will draw under 300w load and has 33A on the 12V.
Antec's are pretty solid too.

Grayman

MWS Natural said:
Have you done any overclocking? Is the CPU fan and case fans working properly? How are you temps? Did you do a fresh install of windows? You can run chkdsk to see if you HDD has any bad sectors. You probably just missed a cable somewhere or something is overheating. Just a few things off the top of my head.
no overclocking. I left all the cpu related settings in the bios as they were. The CPU fan seems fine, although it points "up" at the power supply.

The case fan seemed to be working fine. First time through building I did not have it hooked up and the PC was running fine then as an open box. I unplugged it again because the connection was a little lose, after memtest I'll put it back on.

Grayman said:
OCCT CPU only went up to 37C
GPU went to 84C in OCCT

fresh windows install. will be installing again when I get my hands on windows 7 rc.

If it is heat I do not see what i can do. If it is a bad power supply or cable I do not know how to be sure.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
After you run memtest try pointing the case fan at the GPU, maybe some other component is getting too hot.

As for CPU temp, 37C is not loaded... It should be hitting 50-70C load.

Try a different program instead or check your options.

What do you mean it points up?
A picture would be nice. (Non reference 260 right?)

Septimus

So I did a little research (still very new at this) and this is what I came up with. Is anything wrong and/or missing? (I don't need a monitor, mouse/keyboard, hard drives)

OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition PC2-8500 DDR2 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 Dual Channel EPP Memory Kit
$74.29 - Has a 20 dollar mail-in rebate to $54.29

Silverstone Strider ST400 400W ATX12V 24PIN Power Supply W/120MM Fan
$52.70

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 1366+ 1PCI-E SATA2 RAID HD Sound GLAN 1394A Motherboard
$139.81

Compucase 6C28B ATX Case Black 4X5.25 2X3.5 4X.3.5INT W/ Front USB & Audio No PS
$37.51

Sapphire Radeon Hd 4830 575MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ GDDR3 Hdmi Dvi TV-OUT PCI-E Video Card
$107.59

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.33GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 4MB Retail Box
$208.88

TOTAL $620.78 (All Canadian dollars by the way, prices from www.directcanada.com)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Grayman said:
I was not able to get very good pictures. I can get the dvd drive and its cable out of the way if I finish up memtest and shutdown. Arrows are airflow from fans.

http://torchthebridge.com/grayman/IMGP2053.JPG
http://torchthebridge.com/grayman/IMGP2054.JPG
Labled airflow on CPU fan is wrong and GPU.

Your CPU fan should look like this.
Otherwise you are blowing hot air into your case, although it should not be causing you these problems.

IMG_5916.jpg

Septim, check the techreport link in the OP. Wait for 4770 with proper cooler for GPU.

markot

Banned
Value for money wise, is the Phenom 2 a X3 720 a good idea >.>?

Im thinking that, and a 4770, but im not sure what kind of MB I should get, one that does DDR3 or 2 >.<?

... I hate buying new pcs, so many options and I suck at deciding...

Slavik81

EviLore said:

Hmm... That timing might just be perfect for me.

Fredescu

markot said:
Yes.

markot said:
Im thinking that, and a 4770
What resolution will you be playing at? That will be the main determining factor on which video card you need.

markot said:
but im not sure what kind of MB I should get, one that does DDR3 or 2 >.<?
If you can see yourself definitely upgrading the CPU down the line, a DDR3 (AM3) board might be worth the additional cost. Otherwise it's a lot of extra expense for no real benefit.

markot said:

Im thinking that, and a 4770, but im not sure what kind of MB I should get, one that does DDR3 or 2 >.<?

... I hate buying new pcs, so many options and I suck at deciding...

You can build a Phenom II x3 720BE system for around $500 sans graphics card, checkout some of the buyers guides in the OP. The E8400 and the PII x3 are the best value processors out there right now.

markot said:
Hmmm, I have a 1680x1050 native res monitor >.<!

It depends on what sorts of games you play and what your standards are for graphics settings. Get an AMD 720, 4 gigs of DDR2 800 and a 4770/4850/4870/GTX 260.

Fredescu

markot said:
Hmmm, I have a 1680x1050 native res monitor >.<!
There's a tonne of benchmarks here for different games on the 4770: http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-radeon-hd-4770-review/1 . That should give you a pretty good idea. It looks like the 4770 will go around around the $160 mark here. Personally I'd spend the extra ~$100 and get a 4870 or GTX260. That will up your power requirement though, so I guess it depends on your budget.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
have a question if anyone can help.

I'm putting together a i7 system and was just wondering what power supply I should get.

Asus P6T
Intel i7 920
BFG 260 GTX
2x HDDs
TV Tuner
DVD (I'm thinking of adding a blu-ray player in the future)

I'm looking at the Corsair HX 620W. Would this be enough power for such a system? The next one up is 1000W and £90 more.

- Supports the latest ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 standards and is backwards compatible.
- Guaranteed compatibility with dual-GPU configurations.
- Double forward switching circuitry design offers high efficiency, up to 80% under wide load range.
- Active Power Factor Correction with PF value=0.99 provides clean and reliable power to your system.
- Universal AC input 90~264V automatically scans and detects the correct voltage. No more hassle of flipping that tiny red switch!
- Ultra quiet 120mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow at an exceptionally low noise level by varying the RPM in response to temperature.
- Guaranteed to deliver rated specifications at 50ºC.
- Triple 12V Rails provide independent reliable power to the CPU, video card and other components with a combined rating of 50A (40A on 520W) maximum! Advanced circuitry design that automatically enables power sharing between the triple +12V rails in an event of overload on any single +12V rail.
- Powerful +5Vsb rail with 3A rating.
- Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, and Short Circuit Protection provide maximum safety for your critical system components.
- 105ºC rated industrial grade capacitors provide uncompromised performance and reliability, delivering 4 times the lifespan of conventional 85ºC rated capacitors.
- Enhanced modular flexible cables enable easier cable routing and increased airflow in the system.
- Gold Plated connectors provide oxide free ultra low-resistance contact between the power supply and your critical components.
- 8 Serial ATA connectors (4 on 520W).
- Dimension: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 5.9"(L) 150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 150mm(L)
- MTBF: 100,000 Hours

Also, what's your thoughts on the Asus P6T? Reviews seem a bit mixed on this board.

Minsc

Gold Member
D4Danger said:
have a question if anyone can help.

I'm putting together a i7 system and was just wondering what power supply I should get.

That Corsair 620 HX modular PSU is great (especially for keeping things neat), and I asked earlier if it could handle 2 video cards, and it sure can was the reply. So all that and more if you need it.

You may want to go with a 275 if the price isn't that much different, it's like the updated version of the 260, and you may find there to be less than $40 difference.

thaOwner

So I currently have this laptop:

Model
Brand ASUS
Series G Series
Model G50VT-A1
General
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 2.26G
Screen 15.4" WSXGA+
Memory Size 4GB DDR2
Hard Disk 600GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GS
Video Memory 512MB DDR3
Communication Modem, Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1 x Express Card
Dimensions 14.6" x 10.43" x 1.35 - 1.6"
Weight 6.17 lbs.
Tech Intel Centrino 2 Processor Technology

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220404

Am thinking about selling it and building myself a gaming a gaming rig. I bought it for a little over $1300 and selling it back on ebayt anywhere from $950 - 1100.
Will I be able to build a decent rig and get myself a nice HD tv to go with along with it ?

John_B

The more I use Windows 7, the more I like it.

If you double click an iso file this motherfucker pops up.

2j32wlx.jpg

Are there any mirrors up with the RC? It's going to be a pain to download it tomorrow.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm really surprised MS is going to let the RC be free & valid until June 2010.

Means if you're building a PC you can order everything now, and get around to buying/installing the retail copy at your leisure, skipping Vista.

Well, my #1 reason for waiting is gone, so not much longer left now for me! Just have to make sure the RC is compatible with my motherboard.

zbarron

I have 10 days left on my Step up program for my EVGA 9800gtx+. I don't know if I should get the GTX 260 216 core for $50.70 or the GTX 275 for $100.70. How long does it usually take them to ship the card to me and do I have to ship them the card before they send it to me? That would leave me with my broken Ati 3850. I'm looking at the 2009 games and I don't know which ones I wouldn't be able to run with reasonable settings on my 9800gtx+.

My setup is an i7 920 at 3.6Ghz with 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM and I will be playing at 1680x1050.

Minsc

Gold Member
zbarron said:
I have 10 days left on my Step up program for my EVGA 9800gtx+. I don't know if I should get the GTX 260 216 core for $50.70 or the GTX 275 for $100.70. How long does it usually take them to ship the card to me and do I have to ship them the card before they send it to me? That would leave me with my broken Ati 3850. I'm looking at the 2009 games and I don't know which ones I wouldn't be able to run with reasonable settings on my 9800gtx+.

My setup is an i7 920 at 3.6Ghz with 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM and I will be playing at 1680x1050.

Here's a nice set of benches where you can see the two (among a dozen other cards).

30+ pages & has your resolution and a machine not too far off from yours (3.8 i7).

Minsc said:
I'm really surprised MS is going to let the RC be free & valid until June 2010.

Means if you're building a PC you can order everything now, and get around to buying/installing the retail copy at your leisure, skipping Vista.

Well, my #1 reason for waiting is gone, so not much longer left now for me! Just have to make sure the RC is compatible with my motherboard.
Yeah having a "free" windows 7 will be nice but i'm still keeping my install of XP around, who knows what bugs still lay within the beta builds.

I'm still waiting for my pc to arrive, it's been 14 days now so it should be here any day now.

zbarron

Minsc said:
Here's a nice set of benches where you can see the two (among a dozen other cards).

30+ pages & has your resolution and a machine not too far off from yours (3.8 i7).
Thanks but I've gone through the benches before. I'm more curious about future games. Is there anything on the horizon that looks like it will stress my PC to the point where it needs a new video card? I know it's hard to tell when the games haven't been released yet. I already own just about every game I want to own that is out right now and I can run them fine. I am also getting suspicious at these numbers when a 250 beats a 295.
l4d_1680_1050.gif

Minsc

Gold Member
zbarron said:
Thanks but I've gone through the benches before. I'm more curious about future games. Is there anything on the horizon that looks like it will stress my PC to the point where it needs a new video card? I know it's hard to tell when the games haven't been released yet. I already own just about every game I want to own that is out right now and I can run them fine. I am also getting suspicious at these numbers when a 250 beats a 295.

Probably just CPU limited, and drivers make a big difference. I remember things like that happening before with poorly optimized drivers.

Future games? I think you have the effects of what is looking to be a longer than normal console generation lingering on to PC games somewhat, and causing requirements to stay lower, for now anyway. I can't think of any upcoming 2009 or 2010 games that will be more demanding than Crysis unfortunately.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
You're futureproofing yourself for AMD's next generation at the least, which should still use the AM3 socket.

zbarron said:

Step-up puts you on a waiting list, so I would suggest getting onboard. I don't really see a $50 difference between those two cards, but I haven't been intensely staring at the benchmarks (well, that and I have a 285). The waiting list can be awhile, but as I recall you don't send in until they have something for you, after that the process shouldn't take very long since they ship from within the US.

Proc

I'm bringing home a terrabyte hard drive today :)

Just wondering though, whether or not I should give Windows Vista a separate partition? I could see it being advantageous for formatting purposes but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Do you decrease read/write speeds when windows is on a separate partition? If I should partition it, how much space should I leave for vista?

Minsc

Gold Member
Proc said:
I'm bringing home a terrabyte hard drive today :)

Just wondering though, whether or not I should give Windows Vista a separate partition? I could see it being advantageous for formatting purposes but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Do you decrease read/write speeds when windows is on a separate partition? If I should partition it, how much space should I leave for vista?

I find it best to have your OS partition imaged regularly (to a separate drive), for peace of mind. You don't want a 1TB partition for your OS drive, as that will make backups a pain... partition it to the smallest size you feel comfortable with. My XP install is a 20 gig partition, of which I only use about 12 gigs. I have True Image 2009, which does automatic backups, so if anything goes wrong I can restore my computer without worry, in a matter of minutes, even if the drive fails.

Speed really shouldn't be changed too much, just that mechanical drives are going to be faster on the outside platters I think. I'm not sure how much of a real world difference that would make.

Proc

Minsc said:
I find it best to have your OS partition imaged regularly (to a separate drive), for peace of mind.

Yeah that was my thoughts exactly. I'll give vista 45 gigs since I have ultimate and it is bloated as hell :lol

UnholySpectacle said:
I am looking at this setup right now:

http://www.ncixus.com/products/index.php?sku=36217&ViewDetailedSpecifications=1#systemfeature

Any thoughts? It seems like a pretty solid machine for gaming and graphic design. Do I need Vista 64 bit since it is over 4GBs of ram?

Yeah, basically. Or you can run Windows 7 x64 RC for free for a year and then switch to Windows 7 x64 retail. You don't "need" x64 Windows but if you don't use x64, you will basically be stuck with only half of the memory.

The setup is pretty darn good. i7 920, Antec 900, Radeon 4870 1GB...not much to say. Even the hard drive is fast. You're missing monitor/keyboard/mouse but the setup is fine.

DSN2K

never understand why reviewers bench low end cards with 4xAA 16xAF on, do they really think people who purchase these cards r going to do that!

Top Bottom