• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Odysseus said:
again with the software bit?

check the dollars revealed earlier. sony did better per ps3 than microsoft did per 360. spin it one way, spin it another.

people. no need to be so defensive. most reasonable people know 360s were in short supply, but most reasonable people should also be able to see ps3 had a good month. just let it be what it is. you don't have to believe this is the start of some year long trend or anything, that will all be revealed in the months ahead.

Software bit?

360 839,000
PS3 140,000

That is a beat down. No spin needed.

Odysseus

Banned
h3ro said:
Point being that the reason the numbers aren't that high for Burnout Paradise is that the game was only released ten days before the end of the month! Its pretty astonishing that it still showed up in the top ten list. I'm sure the PS3 version wasn't too far behind either!

it's not astonishing the game showed up. rest assured february sales won't be higher.

Dragon

Banned
Souldriver said:
Well, look at dante's post below yours. There are people suggesting what Cooter says. BUT the vast majority of Sony fans are just happy their console of choice does well, nothing more nothing less. It's just that posts like the one from Cooter make Sony fans say "bitter tears", while these posts in turn provoke posts like "delusional sony fans". In the end it's all bitch fighting, while everybody essentially agrees: decent PS3 sales, other sales lower than expected cause of shortages.

True enough. The bitter tears vs. delusional fans are always a good time.

e-gamer

To be honest, i see im my crystal ball a new version of 360 costing $199 sooner than expected...

My guess is for GTA 4 launch...

laserbeam said:
I dont see what your trying to say. Its obvious Ps3 as a platform does not sell games in the quantity either of its competitors do. You cant pull numbers out of your ass and say if the userbase was the same they would magically sell better
Conversely, are we supposed to be surprised when systems with bigger userbases sell more total units of software? In case you missed them, sonycowboy posted numbers that show that in January, PS3 owners bought more software per console than either Wii or 360owners.

Grecco

h3ro said:
Point being that the reason the numbers aren't that high for Burnout Paradise is that the game was only released ten days before the end of the month! Its pretty astonishing that it still showed up in the top ten list. I'm sure the PS3 version wasn't too far behind either!

We ALWAYS get the same "Bububub litle time" thing when something underwhelms.

Burnout was underwhelming. No sense in spinning it. It was highly advertised. It should have charted higher.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Shepherd said:
Software bit?

360 839,000
PS3 140,000

That is a beat down. No spin needed.

Complete spin. We already know it was $159m 360, $80m PS3. Top 10 != all games sold in Jan. So you need a learning beat down, back to 8th grade math with you!

Good numbers for Sony, but we'll see how next month's NPD numbers look -- I'm not convinced this is the beginning of a trend (yet). Small, but okay numbers for No More Heroes. How's Uncharted doing? I need to play through that again.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
DeadGzuz said:
Complete spin. We already know it was $159m 360, $80m PS3. Top 10 != all games sold in Jan. So you need a learning beat down, back to 8th grade math with you!

Sorry, So the 360 ONLY double the PS3 software sales. 360 is doomed. Anyone know where I can sell my 360?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Draft said:
Run some water through that spin you just poked full of holes, and we've got a motherfucking sprinkler.

Nah, he plugged up the holes with the Arcade SKU which seems to be readily available pretty much everywhere.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Spotless Mind said:
OMG i am literally in shivers. This is so AMAZING! I have been saying from the beginning that 2008 would be Sony's comeback year. I am so bloody giddy right now, omg Sony WINS. :D :D :D

Just reading through, everyone's cool...then WHAM, this hits me in the face

Shepherd said:
Sorry, So the 360 ONLY double the PS3 software sales. 360 is doomed. Anyone know where I can sell my 360?
Even though it has 3 times the userbase. Yeah that's pretty much it. PS3 is doomed.

Odysseus

Banned
Shepherd said:

this is the overdefensiveness i'm talking about.

breathe in. breathe out. think happy thoughts.

ps3 had a good month. it's ok. it happens.

besada

Banned
Sean said:
Everyone is watching Lost.

And those of you still posting in this thread should be watching Lost too. ABC. Right now!

I can't watch lost until my cable company stops fighting with ABC. I haven't had ABC-HD in nearly a year.

Oh, and is there any explanation for why we had to grub the numbers from other sites? Did our deal go kerplooie or something?

shintoki said:
Well...Without poster like Snah and such in full Sony Defense mode. Its just not the same.:lol
beerbelly said:
I'm surprised there's a lack of hardcore Nintendo fans in here. They usually keep these threads alive for weeks.

Different conclusions, both garbage.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
shintoki said:
Wow, Sony fans are living it up like its never gonna happen again:lol

Deep down they know this is a rare moment of glory before they go back to the no numbers spin land of Euro threads

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Metalmurphy said:
Even though it has 3 times the userbase. Yeah that's pretty much it. PS3 is doomed.

Whatever, Microsoft does better per 360 than the PS3 in Japan. Does that mean the 360 is doing better in Japan than the PS3?

Souldriver said:
Nobody suggested the 360 to be in trouble.

Stop taking away his strawmen, he'll have nothing left to hold on to.

Shepherd said:
Whatever, Microsoft does better per 360 than the PS3 in Japan. Does that mean the 360 is doing better in Japan than the PS3?

If it could also outsell the PS3, maybe.

Scooter

Banned
Shepherd said:

So first you post fake numbers then you backpedal and post a spin forgeting that 360 has triple the userbase. Nice.

Raw64life

Not much, but everything not listed in the OP so far...

January 08:

WII RESIDENT EVIL: UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - ~30K
WII CARNIVAL GAMES - ~80K

Rough LTDs:

WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE - ~4.4 million
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY - ~2.7 million
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~1.5 million
WII CARNIVAL GAMES - ~655K
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION - ~625K
WII RESIDENT EVIL: UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - ~300K

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE - ~3.3 million
360 ROCK BAND - ~960K