• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden 13 X360 Thread of Crow and Ramirez Join the NFC West!

is dropping ten players inside the ten putting guys in position? you're a bitch. pretty sure you did it twice too.

that shit was a good experiment at how wild someone can be with manual defending and still put players in "position" to make a play on the ball. im not saying you did it with malice, but i got y'd. short passing would have probably mitigate my ints.

no hard feelings though, i kept throwing it instead of pounding run, so at the end of the day, it's on me. we still cool!

sounds like someone got ahold of DCX's playbook!

I'm not doing something I haven't had done to me! In fact I'm pretty sure I've seen the whole DE contain shit mentioned in here several times

"User Pick"

In the case of ballhawking anyways.

But most people refer to holding Y in the case of the glitchy way where all the defenders swarm around in their coverage right on top of the WRs. I don't believe it'll say "User Pick" when an INT happens as a result of that.

If it's blatant, they'll spaz out and turn on a dime in reaction to the ball. It's pretty obvious sometimes. If they are not controlling the guy near the ball and hold it, the guy will change directions instantaneously.

So if i user control a CB/LB on the right side of the field and hold Y once the play starts... and my opponent throws to the left side of the field... my holding Y will influence the play? So it's like a defense boost button? That's lame as shit

there is a difference between ball hawk when the ball is coming at you and "Holding Y" the entire play.

and maybe its the placebo that rors planted in my brain but it does seem that play now head to head plays SLIGHTLY differently than CCM. seems like the defense is a lot "better" (as in, playing their assignments and being dominant, not that its more fun) in CCM over play now

If i see a guy in position i will switch quickly to him and hit Y. Is that frowned upon too? Other that than I dont touch Y.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
It might be just me, but Ball Hawking is becoming an excuse for making bad throws. Like yeah occasionally the DB will have spidey senses and break fast on the ball, but by now we should know what throws would be effected by that. Its a lot easier to say "yeah ball hawk game is trash" than "I fucked up/misread/took a chance and lost"

I dunno. Just how I feel.

Sokantish

So if i user control a CB on the right side of the field and hold Y once the play starts... and my opponent throws to the left side of the field... my holding Y will influence the play? So it's like a defense boost button? That's lame as shit

Not as soon as the ball is hiked, I don't think it does anything if you do it then. If you do it AS SOON as the ball leaves the QBs hand then the Y gives the AI a boost

If i see a guy in position i will switch quickly to him and hit Y. Is that frowned upon too? Other that than I dont touch Y.

no its not.

as far as holding Y the whole play, i've tried to replicate it in practice mode but i can't. i don't doubt its not real but ive just never seen it myself. it doesn't help that there are no replays in CCM or else we could probably easily verify this. but the reality is, in a league game, you're not really going to be watching every defender every play to see what he is doing

It might be just me, but Ball Hawking is becoming an excuse for making bad throws. Like yeah occasionally the DB will have spidey senses and break fast on the ball, but by now we should know what throws would be effected by that. Its a lot easier to say "yeah ball hawk game is trash" than "I fucked up/misread/took a chance and lost"

I think the biggest problem I have is the db's running routes better than the WR. It's so hard to get separation sometimes. I try to user control my passes and lead my receiver but that never helps either.

But yeah you are kinda right because i keep testing the same routes that get pick 6'd :/
I always feel there is enough separation for me to fit in it there(favre style!)

i think its more that it doesn't take any timing to get picks. i would say in the majority of the cases where ball hawk is used, the ball deserves to be picked because its a bad throw. BUT, in years past, you'd need to time it perfectly to get the pick. Now you just generally need to hold Y within a decent amount of time and you'll make a play on the ball.

therefore, people who suck at manual D (like me) are beneficiaries in the ballhawk era, and other people who are good manual defenders (like you, rors, dm) now don't really have a stick advantage when it comes to picks

DBs sometimes run better routes than the WR and I notice it happens a lot on posts/drags where the defender suddenly rockets forward (which happens even if you don't control the DB) but we all know there are a lot of routes the WR/TE runs which can be unstoppable unless you put two dudes on it.

DBs sometimes run better routes than the WR and I notice it happens a lot on posts/drags where the defender suddenly rockets forward (which happens even if you don't control the DB) but we all know there are a lot of routes the WR/TE runs which can be unstoppable unless you put two dudes on it.

Do share

It's all whatever anyways, I intercepted him 7 times and still only won by 7. Most of my wins against the Bills end up being statistic anomalies and you'll probably rape me again later

CB3

I think the biggest problem I have is the db's running routes better than the WR. It's so hard to get separation sometimes. I try to user control my passes and lead my receiver but that never helps either.

Leading guys with QB's that aren't really really good is asking for trouble. And yeah sometimes DB's run the routes better. But usually its certain routes and at some point there should be a recognition of what those routes are so there are no surprises.

All I'm saying is we're too deep to be blaming a "feature" for bad play when its not a surprise to anyone it exists.

It's all whatever anyways, I intercepted him 7 times and still only won by 7. Most of my wins against the Bills end up being statistic anomalies and you'll probably rape me again later

That's my strategy against Rors.

It works 100% of the time!!! :)

Leading guys with QB's that aren't really really good is asking for trouble. And yeah sometimes DB's run the routes better. But usually its certain routes and at some point there should be a recognition of what those routes are so there are no surprises.

All I'm saying is we're too deep to be blaming a "feature" for bad play when its not a surprise to anyone it exists.

Felnorl is kina a bum but i keep thinking it will work - and it does work on some rare throws!

Yeah I should know what routes work and don't work by now. I try stuff in practice that works so well then try it in the game and it gets blown the fuck up. This game needs a scrimmage mode :/

LJ11

Beats me, I honestly played through that game wondering if I was ball hawking but I don't hold Y the moment it's snapped. I would like some proof of it though, I'm not trying to be a bitch player but I was trying to cover all the spots based on the formations I saw. and I felt like he knew what I wanted to take away and sometimes he went elsewhere.

I don't even feel like any of the INT was not legit. there might have been 1 or 2 "your CB ran routes better than my WR" picks but shit that happens to me all the time. I have never sent my DEs into coverage against anymore just to change shit up because I always get eaten alive

I personally wasn't a huge fan of spreading out the DEs and edge rushing but hey, I saw it happened

What am I supposed to do? 3rd and long, I know you're passing it. I dropped my DEs to take away slants and shit, you STILL got a TD on that play

Play D dude, no need to drop every player on 3rd down from the 6, did it at midfield too. Whatever, should have been more patient but I was a bit ticked and thought I could squeeze it in there.

honestly dude, i know im coming into the thread throwing shit at you but you're a stand up guy and i hope you don't take it personally. it's the games fault more than it is yours. you were just trying to manually defend, and keyed off my throwing motion, which led to a few Y moments. no ill will, i actually like you, no hard feelings, you're a good dude even you were a bitch a couple of times.

i think it's better to just let people know what's up, could probably do it over aim/pm but this way everyone gets enjoyment!

if anyone has a problem with the way im playing, over effective plays, run the same play over and over, let me know, and don't forget to call me a bitch when/if you do it.

some of it is obvious, but you know what, you're partially right. should just shut up and play, it's going to happen, nothing i or anyone else can do.

Mrbob

My main problem with manual ball hawk is you can literally bump away a receiver and get the interception without being hit with a pass interference penalty. Nothing you can do about it though.

Play D dude, no need to drop every player on 3rd down from the 6, did it at midfield too. Whatever, should have been more patient but I was a bit ticked and thought I could squeeze it in there.

honestly dude, i know im coming into the thread throwing shit at you but you're a stand up guy and i hope you don't take it personally. it's the games fault more than it is yours. you were just trying to manually defend, and keyed off my throwing motion, which led to a few Y moments. no ill will, i actually like you, no hard feelings, you're a good dude even you were a bitch a couple of times.

i think it's better to just let people know what's up, could probably do it over aim/pm but this way everyone gets enjoyment!

if anyone has a problem with the way im playing, over effective plays, run the same play over and over, let me know, and don't forget to call me a bitch when/if you do it.

let me win our game in a couple weeks

CB3

Bob is the ball hawk of this league. You know he is watching some show instead of playing his game regardless of what he says. Yet you're all shocked when he does it!

LJ11

let me win our game in a couple weeks

i'll let you play the cpu, it's only fair since we get to play against it so often.

i should have just paced around the living room some more before posting, whatever, it's done. feel bad, pheenix is always a good sport. it's not the losing or the ints that got to me, just the game itself. i could have just ran the ball, but i was determined to go down throwing, caused more grief for myself and trashed a good member of our little community. bad judgement on my part.

No personal offenses taken

I really had no idea that dropping 10 guys was a bitch move, but I'll avoid that next time. you're very good at seeing the field so I tried to mix it up but I'll leave the 10 man cheese out of the meal next time. I am still clueless about the ball hawk thing but I promise you I'm not holding it the moment it's thrown or whatever I do agree it's a bit too easy though, but I've had plenty of 4-5 pick games so I take what I can get. and I think you've seen plenty of times where I completely whiff. also if you ever see my LB randomly charging forward I'm not trying to force one of those hit stick fumbles, I'm legit retarded on D at times.

On a side note I'm surprised you didn't trot Lockette out there more, he was Randy Moss against me in that first game

LJ11

No personal offenses taken

I really had no idea that dropping 10 guys was a bitch move, but I'll avoid that next time. you're very good at seeing the field so I tried to mix it up but I'll leave the 10 man cheese out of the meal next time. I am still clueless about the ball hawk thing but I promise you I'm not holding it the moment it's thrown or whatever I do agree it's a bit too easy though, but I've had plenty of 4-5 pick games so I take what I can get. and I think you've seen plenty of times where I completely whiff. also if you ever see my LB randomly charging forward I'm not trying to force one of those hit stick fumbles, I'm legit retarded on D at times.

On a side note I'm surprised you didn't trot Lockette out there more, he was Randy Moss against me in that first game

you were going to be looking for lockette so i had other guys out there. probably should have used him as a decoy. Spiller was doing work.

phee, just keep playing your game man, working for you so far, no need to change. i don't think you had bad intentions. game is what it is and i shouldn't jump to conclusions, bad judgement on my part, anger got the better of me, at least i didnt break anything!

you've given me good games in the past, you're a good dude, i just don't want you going into our next game with this shit on your mind. i would prefer you didn't drop 10, and i'll do the same! have no problem with you dropping a lineman, just not all of them.

CB3

Yeah Cover 10 isn't something that should be happening in my mind.

Doesn't touch dcx's patented cover 11 though!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
My secondary this year:

Pvb6V.gif

I don't get this, you admitted that you have used ballhawk this season after our game. Of course your secondary will put up numbers.

My main problem with ballhawk is that in reality most corners and safeties drop more picks than they actually hold on to, that's not the case with ballhawk, doesn't really matter who the player is, even DE's!

It's almost like ratings get thrown out the window once ballhawk is activated.

LukeSmith

I said it super early on in season 1, there are plays where your guys are just gonna be "covered" - it's like Tecmo Bowl, and the defenders will run your routes better (mostly man coverages, where the play that the offensive play doesn't have a route that beats man) at times.

Take the sack, Alex Smith style!

Birdman02

My main problem with ballhawk is that in reality most corners and safeties drop more picks than they actually hold on to, that's not the case with ballhawk, doesn't really matter who the player is, even DE's!

It's almost like ratings get thrown out the window once ballhawk is activated.

I wish there was a way to tell if our INTs are up relative to past Maddens. Everyone likes to complain about ballhawk (some of it justified), but it doesn't feel like our INT numbers are significantly worse than they were in previous versions. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm throwing picks at the same rate I have in the past...ignoring the 1-2 games every season that I throw 5+ because I get pissed off.

I wish there was a way to tell if our INTs are up relative to past Maddens. Everyone likes to complain about ballhawk (some of it justified), but it doesn't feel like our INT numbers are significantly worse than they were in previous versions. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm throwing picks at the same rate I have in the past...ignoring the 1-2 games every season that I throw 5+ because I get pissed off.

LB's have always have had great hands in Madden so that's probably a wash. I think ballhawk has helped increase INTs on the deep ball more than anything.

Top Bottom