• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '13 Xbox 360 Online Franchise Thread: A chance to develop a dynasty!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
lol is this the time of the year when people get angry and claim they will never punt again? Is that supposed to be a threat? There is a reason why people dont do that and its not because its cheesy, its because its dumb.

there are no explicit 4th down rules. 4th and inches and you're wanting to keep momentum i could make a case for it in a few situations.... near mid field, outside of fg range or even in fg range

i would never complain about someone going for it on a 4th and inches against me. now if you're going for 4th down no matter what the situation is (4th and inches, 4th and 7, 4th and 10, winning losing tied) then we have a problem

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I work until 4 AM ET, so I can play after that, or I could play in the afternoon between 12-2 PM.

Raising my hand here friends, Cola was not kidding about this and works from 4 PM to 4 AM Tuesday - Friday. He's off Saturday/Sunday/Monday. Can the next advance period be Saturday? I don't have anything to do that day otherwise so I am open to playing in the morning/early afternoon.

Somnia

Raising my hand here friends, Cola was not kidding about this and works from 4 PM to 4 AM Tuesday - Friday. He's off Saturday/Sunday/Monday. Can the next advance period be Saturday? I don't have anything to do that day otherwise so I am open to playing in the morning/early afternoon.

I vote aye, but my vote doesn't count!

LukeSmith

Fine, just thought that was one of the rules....I'll never punt in that situation again if that's the case.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

204448237_6ea42ad703_m.jpg

daw840

Oh hey! Look!

6. Regarding 4th downs, just be realistic guys. Don't make me spell out every possible situation, but use these as guidelines:

a. do not go for it on 4th down if you are winning.
b. do not go for it in 4th down in your own territory unless it is the 4th quarter and you are down by 2 scores or more OR it is your "final" drive
c. if you have a 4th down and you are on the cusp of FG range, it is ok to go for it so long as it's a 4th and 5 or less. example: 4th and 3 at your opponents 39 yard line. unless you have the raiders or packers this is a difficult FG and probably not going to go through. i have no problem with a 4th down in this scenario.
d. NO GOING FOR IT ON 4TH DOWN OF A GAME THAT YOU ARE WINNING OR TIED AND YOU ARE IN YOUR OWN TERRITORY

So...what is it?

Sanjuro

Lol haven't you done far worse in terms of 4th down? I doubt im imagining things on this.

No, I usually punt on 4th. El Jay can account for this today. Only time I will is garbage time games in the 4th or so.

Long ago I did a 4th and inches against Drizzler. That was the trigger for him to go every 4th down on me and quit on me 3-4 times.

CB3

No, I usually punt on 4th. El Jay can account for this today. Only time I will is garbage time games in the 4th or so.

Long ago I did a 4th and inches against Drizzler. That was the trigger for him to go every 4th down on me and quit on me 3-4 times.

But did he throw his controller while quitting?

LukeSmith

Oh yeah we should totally get him right back in the league.

Sanjuro

Well if we can, then I'll start going for it more often. I thought it's implementation was simply to avoid drama scenarios in the first place. That alone is the primary reason I don't go for it.

CB3

Well if we can, then I'll start going for it more often. I thought it's implementation was simply to avoid drama scenarios in the first place. That alone is the primary reason I don't go for it.

It doesnt have to be one or the other. We are all grown ups. We can make dynamic choices based off Score/Situation/Momentum/Down & Distance ect.... You dont have to not go for it because of drama. At the same time you shouldnt be going for it because FYIDM.

Holy shit man, then take out all the rest of the supposed "guidelines" if that's the case

That 4th down attempt was against almost every one of them....you can see where the confusion is, no?

no one is going to give you a hard time for going for it on a 4th and inches in that situation, come on. if i start seeing people going for it 10 times a game on 4th down and never punting then we have a problem. dont make me make it a rule, just go with the flow of the game

Sanjuro

It doesnt have to be one or the other. We are all grown ups. We can make dynamic choices based off Score/Situation/Momentum/Down & Distance ect.... You dont have to not go for it because of drama. At the same time you shouldnt be going for it because FYIDM.

I'm going for it because LJ was who I thought he was...AND I LET HIM OFF THE HOOK!

daw840

no one is going to give you a hard time for going for it on a 4th and inches in that situation, come on. if i start seeing people going for it 10 times a game on 4th down and never punting then we have a problem. dont make me make it a rule, just go with the flow of the game

I will keep that in mind...just saying, it's fucking confusing. Especially when I am on the PR return screen in the playbook waiting to select it and then I see 3 wr 1 rb pop up and have to scramble to call a play.

LiveWire

Not saying it's the most important or even very important, but it matters. And speed is overrated as usual. Although, I'll say it's more important on offense than in previous years.

All I've been saying is that it makes a receiver go for/fight for the ball (and raises OVR). Best example were the Skins receivers last year. Elite speed/accel ratings, good-to-great CTH and SPC ratings, but 40-50 AWR. OVR ratings were in the 60s/low 70s.

CB3

All I've been saying is that it makes a receiver go for/fight for the ball (and raises OVR). Best example were the Skins receivers last year. Elite speed/accel ratings, good-to-great CTH and SPC ratings, but 40-50 AWR. OVR ratings were in the 60s/low 70s.

Couldnt have been the man at the helm right?

Rorschach

AWR affects overall. I don't think anyone questions that. The question was if it was actually useful in play. It is. It does help WRs and DBs as well. Other positions need it more.

What I want to know is if it affects QBs. Initial thought would be "why would you need AWR on a player you're controlling" but I think it might affect whether DBs/WRs catch the ball. It does affect pocket presence/feedback, so that's helpful.

By the way my three starting corners are 88 and 87 speed and they've done a better job than these 90s speed DBs I've seen.

LukeSmith

You mean like Rors receivers for the last few years. Years where he's won multiple super bowls and when he wants to just throws for 4k in a season because he's bored running the ball?

CMon-Man-300x200.png

Rorschach

You mean like Rors receivers for the last few years. Years where he's won multiple super bowls and when he wants to just throws for 4k in a season because he's bored running the ball?

http://www.yougotschooled.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CMon-Man-300x200.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hey, when I was putting up big passing numbers it was when I traded for slower WRs like LLoyd or Colston or picked up old ass (slower) WRs like TO. DHB was cut last year!

Birdman02

AWR affects overall. I don't think anyone questions that. The question was if it was actually useful in play. It is. It does help WRs and DBs as well. Other positions need it more.

What I want to know is if it affects QBs. Initial thought would be "why would you need AWR on a player you're controlling" but I think it might affect whether DBs/WRs catch the ball. It does affect pocket presence/feedback, so that's helpful.

By the way my three starting corners are 88 and 87 speed and they've done a better job than these 90s speed DBs I've seen.

There was a Box Score podcast with Donny Moore (I think) around the time when Madden came out. He said that AWR basically doesn't matter on user controlled players....I think he specifically mentioned QBs.

Top Bottom