• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '13 Xbox 360 Online Franchise Thread: A chance to develop a dynasty!

Birdman02

Is this ballhawk feature in the manual? I just went digging for an issue to the user int problem and I read about ballhawking. Haven't followed a thing about this game, don't know what connected careers really is, etc. Was this shit touted as some cool new feature?

Way you described it, makes sense that it may be causing some of the issues, swat may be the way to go. I'm not terribly upset about it to be honest, but it does make me question my own skill.

I was getting my hands on deep throws more often, my timing was right, but the difference was how consistently I was able to trigger the jump animation as a CB. Thought they just fixed it, people have complained about DB's not high pointing the ball for years. As long as it's not dragging me into the area too drastically I won't complain.

I agree with this.

I may or may not be making this up, but I would swear that the in-game manual showed the Y button as swat ball too. Is it just a difference of holding vs tapping it? I can't watch the youtube vid at work.

Sokantish

I'm shocked that so many of you are okay with this. Probably the D-line users and A holders coming out of the woodwork.

From that video I watched it doesn't seem any worse than the AI warping to the ball to get interceptions last year, but I dunno I haven't seen it myself. That dude knew right where the guy was throwing everytime so it's a little easier when you know where the ball is going right from the start

LJ11

I'm shocked that so many of you are okay with this. Probably the D-line users and A holders coming out of the woodwork.

Not happy with it, but we can't turn it off. I think it really depends on how aggressive it is in terms of putting you in position. Video claims that as long as you're moving around and hold Y when the pass is in the air you go to the spot. That doesn't sound good. I do like the idea of a DB high pointing the ball consistently, but if this the price we have to pay it's not a good trade off.

I'm shocked you have have another thing to complain about. SHOCKED!

I just don't see the value of this outside of jump balls.... Jump balls that allowed guys like fitz to destroy the league last season so we had to ban those types of plays

Ramirez

Man, I should have ballhawked Ram! Abused my perfectly positioned manual defenders for at least 2 TD passes in the Redzone. Roofles balled hard

Man, how about that Megatron TD where I had the guys backed off him by 10 yards and he still somehow got behind all 3 of them! But yea, I pretty much end every game now with a 70%+ completion percentage (80 that game!) and people want to play on All Pro? lol

I'm not ok with it either, now anytime someone makes a sweet pick on me, I'm going to immediately think "ballhawk!".

AT, I also had 4 sacks from my D-line this game against Ram. Only 1 of them was out of a blitz. First time its happened, though

My poor poor OL. :(

Man, how about that Megatron TD where I had the guys backed off him by 10 yards and he still somehow got behind all 3 of them! But yea, I pretty much end every game now with a 70%+ completion percentage (80 that game!) and people want to play on All Pro? lol

I'm not ok with it either, now anytime someone makes a sweet pick on me, I'm going to immediately think "ballhawk!".

My poor poor OL. :(

You have a problem with ballhawk when someone is in position on a jump ball and gets the pick? So you would rather Larry Fitzgerald go up in triple coverage and there is nothing you can do about it?

LJ11

so i read that this feature is also in ncaa, guess if it wasn't a big deal in that game it really shouldn't be a factor in this one.

Ramirez

You have a problem with ballhawk when someone is in position on a jump ball and gets the pick? So you would rather Larry Fitzgerald go up in triple coverage and there is nothing you can do about it?

You keep saying jump balls, but I'm pretty sure this will work on any route.

I doubt anyone even knew it was in NCAA, but the manual D in that game was so bad you can't really compare the two. You can actually control your defender in Madden...

You keep saying jump balls, but I'm pretty sure this will work on any route.

I doubt anyone even knew it was in NCAA, but the manual D in that game was so bad you can't really compare the two. You can actually control your defender in Madden...

Oh it's not a great solution. There should be a jump button exclusively. But if someone is in position to make the play then they should make the play.

I doubt this is a big deal. Imagine on a slant... They happen so fast you think someone can change to the covering cb and hold Y on time to get the pick? Lulz

DCX

DCX
This. If anything this may bring the D closer to Madden 12 in terms of play making ability now with somewhat enhanced zone logic. We will see.

DCX

Ramirez

Oh it's not a great solution. There should be a jump button exclusively. But if someone is in position to make the play then they should make the play.

I doubt this is a big deal. Imagine on a slant... They happen so fast you think someone can change to the covering cb and hold Y on time to get the pick? Lulz

What happens when someone holds Y down with a LB as the WR crosses their path on a slant?

There will be absolutely no way to tell if someone is doing this consistently, it just opens up a huge can of worms...

BigAT

I'm shocked you have have another thing to complain about. SHOCKED!

I just don't see the value of this outside of jump balls.... Jump balls that allowed guys like fitz to destroy the league last season so we had to ban those types of plays

How can you give DCX shit when he holds A but not care about the auto intercept button?

LukeSmith

Will this or next year be the year the walls come down on manual catching for offenses? Stay tuned

What happens when someone holds Y down with a LB as the WR crosses their path on a slant?

There will be absolutely no way to tell if someone is doing this consistently, it just opens up a huge can of worms...

We aren't regulating "ball hawking." When no one passes and everyone just runs we'll see if it's a problem. People acting like there aren't open receivers and that every pass is completed through some defenders hands is this week's "Wolf! Wolf!." Calm down, boys

How can you give DCX shit when he holds A but not care about the auto intercept button?

Because I don't think it's going to come into play often enough to matter?

We will see!

And Ramirez the way you describe it you would think you snap the ball, I hold Y and just wait for the picks to come in! I doubt that happens but test it out!

You still have to be in position. I can't overrun coverage and magically hold Y to get the pick. If someone is in position on me and makes the int then more power to them
What if you're in perfect position and don't make the play? Less power to me?

And lol at switching off defenders so the CPU can make the play.

My very first game I had 17 catches, 300 yards, and 3 TDs lol.

Too bad I ended up losing to Luke 31 to 28. :(

Luck had 140 rushing yards and two rushing TDs on 10 carries...
You had 17 catches with him? What the hell? Was he your first 4 reads?? Where is the Pettigrew and Titus love!?

LJ11

It doesn't matter where you on the field, as soon as the ball is in the air and you hold Y, the defender is tracking the ball as if you're holding the A button.

Ran 4 verticals against man free, used the free safety and roamed around. It didnt matter where I was on the field, he was going for the ball when I held Y. So basically if you're in the general area and hold Y, expect a perfect route to the ball.

BigAT

I just tried it out online against some rando, I got two user picks with it, both on balls that I switched to the nearest defender after the ball was in the air and then just held Y.

McNei1y

I just tried ball hawk against the computer. The only way it seems to work is if the ball is just a lob pass somewhere down field. I had a lot of dropped picks but I did manage to get two against the lions in pre-season.

It's kind of cheap but I guess it helps against the monster receivers.

Mrbob

I didn't even know about the holding down A cheese either. Now I realize how I lost every single time last season. I got out cheddar'd.

Mrbob

You just rely on that overrated pass rush, kick returns for tds, and the ability for your D to force fumbles just breathing on the receiver! Even then I still went up and down the field on that D like it wasn't a thang.

You just rely on that overrated pass rush, kick returns for tds, and the ability for your D to force fumbles just breathing on the receiver! Even then I still went up and down the field on that D like it wasn't a thang.

And you rely on smokey style 20 yard drop backs and awful throws into triple coverage that get dropped!

Mrbob

I'm not sitting in the pocket to let your overrated players come crush Cutler. I still got sacked like 10 times that game anyway! You gonna allow your overrated garbo to win while calling basic man plays sitting two safety deep, I'm going to exploit how to beat it!

Mrbob

I'm not home right now or I would play. You'll probably beat me right now as I'm not used to the new momentum on user d. I keep whiffing and missing tackles.

I'm not sitting in the pocket to let your overrated players come crush Cutler. I still got sacked like 10 times that game anyway! You gonna allow your overrated garbo to win while calling basic man plays sitting two safety deep, I'm going to exploit how to beat it!

You passed the ball like 53 times that game and ran 3 times. Why shouldnt I play the pass all game? Keep my guys deep and roam the middle! If you pass the ball 50+ times on a good D you will lose

Mrbob

I told you already I'm working on getting Marshall involved! I'll run when its time to run! I don't mind you playing pass d, you would sit in man press all game long and let the cpu do all the work for you.

Top Bottom