• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '15 PS4 League Thread: Wards? Where We're Going We Dont Need....Wards

TheCrow

Oh Skrifffffff

cBj1LTf.png

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I was hoping for a blog post today but it always seemed more like a Tuesday-Wednesday post with the actual patch hitting Thursday or Friday thing.

brentech

Chalice dungeon bosses seem cooler than the actual bosses.
Finally went into level 2 Chalice dungeon or whatever that might be called. Just fought a Pyromancer lycan!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
What is even happening.

That GD house tour seemed so promising.

Not that im saying this is bad!

welp since i don't think anyone gives a shit i'll probably just call it a season and draw a random name for the free copy of madden '16. i hate all of you

so much!

Greg

Valve cheerleaders who haven't met their "call people entitled" quota yet are the true winners.
what have you contributed to the modding community except tears when you found out you might actually have to support someone's work?

welp since i don't think anyone gives a shit i'll probably just call it a season and draw a random name for the free copy of madden '16. i hate all of you

so much!
put my name in once for every game I've lost

51!

VEHs53C.png

cdyhybrid

what have you contributed to the modding community except tears when you found out you might actually have to support someone's work?

Support someone's work? You mean paying for mods, which was illegal until the last few days?

I wasn't talking about anyone in this thread by the way :)

Greg

Support someone's work? You mean paying for mods, which was illegal until the last few days?

I wasn't talking about anyone in this thread by the way :)
you don't have to get technical - all kinds of modders accept donations

I'm not a Valve shill, but I did say the people complaining were acting entitled under some bullshit excuses like being concerned about % margins on the modder's behalf when they've never supported them financially in the first place

Lets cool the dota-bro on dota-bro crime going on in here.
these are symptoms of withdrawal :(

cdyhybrid

you don't have to get technical - all kinds of modders accept donations

I'm not a Valve shill, but I did say the people complaining were acting entitled under some bullshit excuses like being concerned about % margins on the modder's behalf when they've never supported them financially in the first place

A lot of people would have celebrated them putting a simple donate button on the mods if most of it went to the modder.

Paying Bethesda a cut, the largest cut, for a mod (that potentially fixes something they should have never released broken) put a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

I thought the margin was shitty, but there were about 5 other reasons I put ahead of that for why I thought this was a terrible idea.

1) The modding scene has been based on open sharing of assets for a decade, it gets really messy if you bring money into a scenario with so many dependencies and frameworks.

2) Valve was going to do shit all to curate it.

These next few are kinda related to 2), but I think they're bad enough to mention on their own:

3) Valve was only giving a 24 hour window to get a refund when mods can regularly break your save due to a game update or interaction with another mod, or even on their own (due to a shitty script or something) weeks down the line.

4) Valve wasn't going to give you any assurance that the mod you purchased would stay updated, essentially saying that if the mod you bought was broken, your best course of action was to nicely ask the author to fix it.

5) Valve and Bethesda tried to frame this as doing something nice for modders when it was just another attempt to introduce more microtransactions. Just own up to it.

Greg

A lot of people would have celebrated them putting a simple donate button on the mods if most of it went to the modder.

Paying Bethesda a cut, the largest cut, for a mod (that potentially fixes something they should have never released broken) put a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

I thought the margin was shitty, but there were about 5 other reasons I put ahead of that for why I thought this was a terrible idea.
ahhh, the ol' bystander button

the whole thing was axed after a day, so who knows how those hypothetical situations would've played out

cdyhybrid

ahhh, the ol' bystander button

the whole thing was axed after a day, so who knows how those hypothetical situations would've played out

Well, I don't use the Workshop anyway (because it's trash if you're at all serious about modding Skyrim), so I wouldn't have ever seen it.

But yeah. All the mods I use are free and they seem happy to stay free. Oh well!

We'll see how it plays out in FO4/TES6. It's going to be there, and I'm still going to think it's dumb, but as long as they continue supporting free mods I ultimately won't give a shit, because the scene will have been established with paid mods from the ground-up. Having it in there from the beginning will prevent a lot of the dependency issues that would have made the Skyrim version really shitty.

Ferny

Why were you giving a shit anyway? It sounds a lot like you were worried your beloved mods weren't going to be free anymore which all it does is makes you sound like the entitled one...

If you cared about the modder as much as you say you do, you would have no problem kicking them a buck or two or three to support. At the end of the day if the modder truly cared about the community or whatever, they would have kept it free anyway.

Top Bottom