• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '16 PS4 Online league thread #2: Blink Daggers and Backflips

Az, I will let you know when I get home from a super bowl party in going to.

DCX

Sounds good. Sorry I couldn't play earlier. I had to take care of all my weekend errands before the game. Besides, everyone here is shutting down early today for the game so I wouldn't have been able to do them later.

eznark

Banned
Bought into a poker tournament/super bowl party that starts at 3, but this fucking golf tournament is turning into one of the best non-majors in a decade. Fuuuuuuuck

Birdman02

Trasher, I have to run to the store really quick. I should be back in about 20-30 minutes if you want to play before the super bowl. Not sure if I will be around after, but I can play any other night this week.

LukeSmith

c1ac5f10825a84f9099c278cf8918dc6.jpg

A Tale of Two Lineups.
For the first 10 games of the season WR Tyronne McKay torched teams at a historic rate. By putting his best player in the slot, lilbowser guaranteed matchups against garbage tier cornerbacks and the game was easy.

Finally shame caught up to him. But Bowser kept winning. Let's look at How, on a very special edition of Inside the Numbers

6.jpg

Slot Machines: The curious case of Bowser's Offense

DAL Record through 10: 8-2
Close Games (one possession): 5
record in close games: 3-2

DAL record over the final 6: 4-2
Close Games: 3* (the LJ game was a blowout bolstered into a close game by garbage time points, but I'm still including it for accuracy)
record in Close games: 1-2

Analysis: To really do this justice, I'd need way better data like strength of schedule of the first 10 opponents vs the final six in case Bowser's schedule gets unreasonably hard in the final six games (one could argue it's harder because he played PHI 2x and LJ once) and his season only included 2 other playoff teams (SF and KC - extend that to teams witn winning records and it looks a little better (TB, OAK[ish], SEA, CHI, SD). I think the case is pretty clear that his first ten games had higher opponent quality than his final six.

So there's already a drop off in winning in the back six, against easier competition than the opening 10 games.

How did Bowser's players perform across these stretches?

Through 10 games:

A. Rodgers: 385 ypg, 31 TDs/15 INTs
Slot McKay: 163 ypg, 15 TDs
Williams: 32 ypg, 4 TDs

Slot McKay accounted for 43% of the yardage and 48% of the TDs during this stretch.

Outside Wide Receiver Terrence Williams accounted for 8% of the yardage and 13% of TDs during this stretch.

Through the Final 6:
A. Rodgers: 319 ypg, 14 TDs/12 INTs
Wide McKay: 126 ypg, 4 TDs
T Williams: 45.5 ypg, 3 TDs

Wide Mckay accounted for 39% of the yardage and 29% of the TDs during this stretch.
Terrence accounted for 14% of the yardage and 21% of the TDs during this stretch.

How did Bowser's players perform comparatively across these two splits?

This is where it starts to get interesting.

Rodgers saw his yardage numbers dip by nearly 20%, his TDs per game dropped by 25%, and INTs increased by 25%.

McKay's yardage dropped by 25%, his TDs dropped by 56%

pro rating the performance over a full season here's the difference:

McKay Slot:
Rodgers 6155 yards, 50 TDs 24 INTs
McKay 109 rec, 2614 yards 24 TDs
Williams 24 rec 515 yards 6 TDs

McKay Wide:

Rodgers 5104 yards, 37 TDs, 32 INTs
McKay 90 rec 2016 yards, 11 TDs
Williams 59 rec 728 yards 8 TDs

"Producing a little bit more" Terrence williams
and "Similarly Effective" Mckay have been anything but since the switch.

And Rodgers falloff has been tremendous. Without a free match-up win in the form of a safety blanket in the slot, he's had to actually make reads and throws - and that's led to an inefficient performance down the stretch.

Conclusions: Without the safety blanket of McKay in the slot, Bowser's offense has suffered. Slot McKay was an easy matchup win which led to easy touchdowns against scrubby nickel corners.
But Rodgers would still have lead the league in yardage, (but not TDs) and would've been in the top 8 for INTs.
Young-Child-with-blankie.jpg

220px-Bowser_Jr_-_Super_Smash_Bros._for_Nintendo_3DS_and_Wii_U.png

Trasher

We can play now.
Sorry. Scratch that. Can't play right at this moment. :(

Not sure I'll be able to play until after the game tonight. I'll try to get a hold of you here if something changes.

Edit: Just saw your other post. Yeah, if not today we can get it in tomorrow night too.

c1ac5f10825a84f9099c278cf8918dc6.jpg

A Tale of Two Lineups.
For the first 10 games of the season WR Tyronne McKay torched teams at a historic rate. By putting his best player in the slot, lilbowser guaranteed matchups against garbage tier cornerbacks and the game was easy.

Finally shame caught up to him. But Bowser kept winning. Let's look at How, on a very special edition of Inside the Numbers

6.jpg

Slot Machines: The curious case of Bowser's Offense

DAL Record through 10: 8-2
Close Games (one possession): 5
record in close games: 3-2

DAL record over the final 6: 4-2
Close Games: 3* (the LJ game was a blowout bolstered into a close game by garbage time points, but I'm still including it for accuracy)
record in Close games: 1-2

Analysis: To really do this justice, I'd need way better data like strength of schedule of the first 10 opponents vs the final six in case Bowser's schedule gets unreasonably hard in the final six games (one could argue it's harder because he played PHI 2x and LJ once) and his season only included 2 other playoff teams (SF and KC - extend that to teams witn winning records and it looks a little better (TB, OAK[ish], SEA, CHI, SD). I think the case is pretty clear that his first ten games had higher opponent quality than his final six.

So there's already a drop off in winning in the back six, against easier competition than the opening 10 games.

How did Bowser's players perform across these stretches?

Through 10 games:

A. Rodgers: 385 ypg, 31 TDs/15 INTs
Slot McKay: 163 ypg, 15 TDs
Williams: 32 ypg, 4 TDs

Slot McKay accounted for 43% of the yardage and 48% of the TDs during this stretch.

Outside Wide Receiver Terrence Williams accounted for 8% of the yardage and 13% of TDs during this stretch.

Through the Final 6:
A. Rodgers: 319 ypg, 14 TDs/12 INTs
Wide McKay: 126 ypg, 4 TDs
T Williams: 45.5 ypg, 3 TDs

Wide Mckay accounted for 39% of the yardage and 29% of the TDs during this stretch.
Terrence accounted for 14% of the yardage and 21% of the TDs during this stretch.

How did Bowser's players perform comparatively across these two splits?

This is where it starts to get interesting.

Rodgers saw his yardage numbers dip by nearly 20%, his TDs per game dropped by 25%, and INTs increased by 25%.

McKay's yardage dropped by 25%, his TDs dropped by 56%

pro rating the performance over a full season here's the difference:

McKay Slot:
Rodgers 6155 yards, 50 TDs 24 INTs
McKay 109 rec, 2614 yards 24 TDs
Williams 24 rec 515 yards 6 TDs

McKay Wide:

Rodgers 5104 yards, 37 TDs, 32 INTs
McKay 90 rec 2016 yards, 11 TDs
Williams 59 rec 728 yards 8 TDs

"Producing a little bit more" Terrence williams
and "Similarly Effective" Mckay have been anything but since the switch.

And Rodgers falloff has been tremendous. Without a free match-up win in the form of a safety blanket in the slot, he's had to actually make reads and throws - and that's led to an inefficient performance down the stretch.

Conclusions: Without the safety blanket of McKay in the slot, Bowser's offense has suffered. Slot McKay was an easy matchup win which led to easy touchdowns against scrubby nickel corners.
But Rodgers would still have lead the league in yardage, (but not TDs) and would've been in the top 8 for INTs.
Young-Child-with-blankie.jpg

220px-Bowser_Jr_-_Super_Smash_Bros._for_Nintendo_3DS_and_Wii_U.png

Daaaaaamn

DJ Bowser

I did take Rodgers out of the second half of my last game and stopped throwing to McKay to avoid injuries so the numbers are slightly skewed.

I shame nothing!

Also had my running backs back in the last few games so Rodgers TD's dipped partially because of my ability to run again.

rinse82

also, technically Rinse you might want me to beat Smokey because you have the H2H with him but you have to beat cheatin Cola first.

Smokey and I might just wait out that game

But it's far more entertaining if you guys both go into the game believing you need to win!

I know I need to win regardless.

Give the people what they want!

LJ11

Couple of weeks ago I said that shading inside/outside doesn't work with zone cov, got it confirmed that it does, not like its effective. Also read that stock purple zones work better than the hot routed purples, hot routed hook zones have always behaved differently than stock, but there are so few stock purple zones in current gen Madden that its hard to observe differences. Wonder if the patch will address any of this.

Couple of weeks ago I said that shading inside/outside doesn't work with zone cov, got it confirmed that it does, not like its effective. Also read that stock purple zones work better than the hot routed purples, hot routed hook zones have always behaved differently than stock, but there are so few stock purple zones in current gen Madden that its hard to observe differences. Wonder if the patch will address any of this.

in all the streams ive watched or games ive played i have seen literally 1 play with stock purple zone. wonder why they dont exist anymore

DJ Bowser

I use the multiple D defensive scheme and there's one formation with a few purple zones.

I need to learn how to make the pre-play adjustments on D as quick as you guys do. It's holding be back!

brentech

tlbb takes a time out on defense in his own territory on 3rd and 4 with like 34 seconds left on the clock. Two TDs get dropped on him before the end of half (like a 60-70yard rushing TD to end the half).

cBj1LTf.png

rinse82

tlbb takes a time out on defense in his own territory on 3rd and 4 with like 34 seconds left on the clock. Two TDs get dropped on him before the end of half (like a 60-70yard rushing TD to end the half).

cBj1LTf.png

Was this before or after he emptied a clip into his R6 teammate

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Carolina being introduced by "Down with the sickness" is the most random possible thing that could happen today.

DJ Bowser

Lol Carey.

That seems like it should have been complete though.
Definitely think it should have been a catch. The follow-up makes it depressing if that's the deciding factor of the game.

Edit; with 3 overthrows now, the moment might be too big for Cam right now. Hopefully he can calm down.

Top Bottom