• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '16 PS4 Online league thread #2: Blink Daggers and Backflips

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Of the 32 rookies in the 1st round, only 9 of them started at or above 80 OVR. There are 16 rookies at or over 80 OVR (one is a kicker).

There are 3 teams that signed 2 of these 16 players. New England (a RT-1st round and the Kicker - 6th round?), The Giants (LOLB-3rd round and HB-4th round), and The Cowboys (ROLB-1st round and CB-1st Round)

Derwyn :(

The LE I picked round 1 is now 81 OVR in my scheme.

Holy shit at my LB Derek Parker, he is 80 in my scheme but actually 85 OVR on league daddy. He is a coverage machine, I have to toughen him up for stopping the run.

After starting last season with Jackie Battle at RB, I now have two very capable guys with Khalil Riley and Darius Wilson. Neither of them are fast, but I am OK with that.

My focus was defense coming into this draft aside from the need at QB, and I am happy with what I got. Just wish I could have gotten something out of FA

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
is daddy leagues broken? cowboys are listed at 80 OVR

Yeah, probably, unless they weigh their grades differently. Maybe having 4 90+ rated OLinemen don't mean chit.

Maybe not alot of over 90 stars on defense, but damn, he's got like 5 84+ rated OLB's.

LukeSmith

Nate the Great is listed at 86 on the site but only 78 in game.

I bet if I just changed what ROLB is supposed to do in the scheme his rating would change.

I understand the spirit of what EA is trying to do with that stuff, but it's just too complicated and doesn't actually seem to matter?

Do any of the Madden heads in the league think scheme alignment matters?

LukeSmith

Does the overall rating matter at all?

I tend to not really care about OVR and just look at different stats per position. I haven't graduated to the LJ/DCX level of paying attention to phyiscal size attributes and stuff, although one of my lightning fast corners looks gigantic on the field

Nate the Great is listed at 86 on the site but only 78 in game.

I bet if I just changed what ROLB is supposed to do in the scheme his rating would change.

I understand the spirit of what EA is trying to do with that stuff, but it's just too complicated and doesn't actually seem to matter?

Do any of the Madden heads in the league think scheme alignment matters?

I think that when they first introduced it, it was a really cool idea that made a lot of logical sense with regards to real world football. The problem is that Madden isn't real world football so it doesn't really matter.

I mean all it did in practice originally was change the weights of each attribute towards the player's overall. I'm not even sure it still does this fully (it was a lot more noticeable the first year it was in).

The thing is that it puts a huge burden of knowledge on the player to know which position classes fit their scheme (ie picking a run stopping or balanced de depending upon regular 4-3 or attacking 4-3 or tampa 2) and then the fact that just because you pick a guy the game says is better for your scheme, doesn't mean he's performs better than a guy with better ratings playing out of scheme.

That plus 20 some odd years of just grabbing guys with the best speed or the best overall is really hard to unlearn.

Also the fact that non physical attributes are easier to upgrade than physical attributes means that longer term getting the raw prospect with better speed/str/agi/thp is often more desirable.

I certainly think the scheme idea is *fixable* but it would require some core changes to the Madden engine.

DJ Bowser

I did a little practice today and I'm already missing Terrance Williams. Goodwin and my rookie WR suck. If only you pricks hadn't taken all the good tight ends before I could. Knew I should have traded up to 10 with Welli.

At least my defense should be legit.

brentech

Reality is that I could probably just throw a 260lb 4-3 DE into the 3-4 DE position and there would be absolutely no difference if the players were rated equal. I just don't think the game works in a way that the 3-4 scheme is meant for the DL to eat blocks, the AI still has them do the exact same actions so it's a wash.

For whatever reason, I stick to the script though.

Just to note, I think when they switched to the more physics based engagements, the weight and size differential matters, but only against the ball carrier and who he is up against.

LukeSmith

I did a little practice today and I'm already missing Terrance Williams. Goodwin and my rookie WR suck. If only you pricks hadn't taken all the good tight ends before I could. Knew I should have traded up to 10 with Welli.

At least my defense should be legit.

I was pretty happy with my rookie WR - tried him last night, but I still think he's 5th on my depth chart.

I'm due to lose a WR for a long injury this year anyway

DJ Bowser

I was pretty happy with my rookie WR - tried him last night, but I still think he's 5th on my depth chart.

Mine was essentially useless but fast. I drafted him hoping he could develop quick and get better than Goodwin but throwing to him to get him XP might be a liability.

I'm gonna put all my rookies in late in games.

So how does it work with the catching traits and bad wrs? My 97 speed we seems like a beast, and it seems like i have the option for all the types of catches, but he doesnt actually have those traits? Is he just less likely to ever do them unless manually controlled?

DCX

DCX
So how does it work with the catching traits and bad wrs? My 97 speed we seems like a beast, and it seems like i have the option for all the types of catches, but he doesnt actually have those traits? Is he just less likely to ever do them unless manually controlled?
I ended up with a decent WR in French but man I had your guy lined up to pick right when you stole him lol

DCX

Somnia killed my #4 WR on a punt return last night and it wasn't even a particularly big tackle or hit from what I remember. Broken collarbone!

Time to put my 95 speed guy from last season into the line up.

Damn awesome game AT. I shouldn't have been stupid and got my QB hurt early cause Alex screwed me with that int he threw that was like 20 yards off target lol

I couldn't stop Bell and my offense was trash especially when French went out.

BigAT

Damn awesome game AT. I shouldn't have been stupid and got my QB hurt early cause Alex screwed me with that int he threw that was like 20 yards off target lol

I couldn't stop Bell and my offense was trash especially when French went out.

GG. French seemed to be doing well before he got injured, looks like it was just for the game though so he's back. Charles killed me on the ground, but I was alright with it as long as I didn't give up the big play, which I managed to do successfully.

Top Bottom