• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '16 PS4 Online league thread #2: Blink Daggers and Backflips

I don't think we are advancing ;(

Naw, we're probably advancing. It may be late when we do so though. Next advance is Friday at 8:30 PT and I'm not sure if Trasher would be able to make it back by then if they didn't get it done tonight.

Who knows! We'll find out!

Ravens, Ill be at the stadium witnessing the Panthers path to the Stanley Cup tonight. Name a time tomorrow.

Also have an extra ticket if anyone is in the area!

Somnia

if you guys could get a little scrub team together and play some games (phee, somnia, fmt, dcx, crimson? and a coach watching if possible), that would be a really good way to learn. Its alot easier to grow that way rather than being mixed in with a group of us all the time and playing against guys way above your level.

Im not sure what you're talking about, but im guessing that it means the hero can be played with the corresponding role (carry, support, whatever they list the third one as. roamer, ganker, jungler or something).

Me, Phee, FMT, DCX and one more (didnt know crimson wanted or does play) would be nice. I can attempt to return as Slark! lol

TheCrow

Watching the grudge match and I love my impromptu troll warlord after I found out that I actually drafted beastmaster instead. MoM, SnY and no boar/hawk.

Trasher

Who wants to Train me in the DOTA ways?

DCX

lich_vert.jpg

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I have nothing but time, I guess I can joing the DOTA party. All I really need to get done in the next few weeks is complete my OSHA 30 training.

I have nothing but time, I guess I can joing the DOTA party. All I really need to get done in the next few weeks is complete my OSHA 30 training.

This is how Jeremy Lin got started on DotA. He was hurt and couldn't play hoops or workout so his brother got him hooked on DotA.

None of these guys will play more than two games

Which will turn them off from DotA more, the game itself or BigAT's disappointing dad voice?

if you guys could get a little scrub team together and play some games (phee, somnia, fmt, dcx, crimson? and a coach watching if possible), that would be a really good way to learn. Its alot easier to grow that way rather than being mixed in with a group of us all the time and playing against guys way above your level.

This is probably a good idea. I think we've all learned from playing with me that mixing skill levels is a recipe for disaster.

BigAT

One thing I found incredibly helpful when I was first learning the game (and I think this applies to both learning the game from the start and picking up new heroes) is going to the replays tab, picking a hero you want to learn and then setting the filter to Very High skill and games featuring that hero. Find a game in which the hero does well, then watch the replay with the camera on player perspective.

You should learn more about the game (item build, skill build and proper usage, positioning, teamfight participation, etc.) than you will find in any guide.

DCX

DCX
I honestly had no idea Joel Anthony was still in the league until like 5 minutes ago.

If you make a real effort and put in the work to learn the game, i dont mind helping you or anyone along the way!
You have my sword

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Somehow I've managed to play with new players basically my entire DotA career. A couple more couldn't hurt!

The other day I randomly thought of the night we were playing and you were just yelling really loud gibberish to our random teammates through voice chat and started cracking up.

The other day I randomly thought of the night we were playing and you were just yelling really loud gibberish to our random teammates through voice chat and started cracking up.

Were you part of that game with trasher where we were getting stomped so we all just started dicking around and came back and won? The definition of "fucked around and got a triple double."

CB3

My favorite time you were disappointed was your failed back-flip save in Rocket League.

I've never heard such a coalescence of misery and disgust.

That was the hardest id laughed in like six months. There were tears coming out of my eyes.

LukeSmith

I think learning supports is in a bunch of ways kind of wrong.

Learn to farm, just learn to last hit because good supports. In a starter tier, you really just need to learn to click creeps to make gold to buy items to click heroes.

Guys like FMT will never learn to farm because he's never been allowed to farm so then he'll never be able to farm gold quickly on a support

Trasher

Learn to farm, just learn to last hit because good supports. In a starter tier, you really just need to learn to click creeps to make gold to buy items to click heroes.

Guys like FMT will never learn to farm because he's never been allowed to farm so then he'll never be able to farm gold quickly on a support

Bot games are the best way to practice last hitting. There's probably a custom game-mode out that trains you on it now I bet.

Problem is there really isn't a best role to start playing as for new players. That's why heroes like Lich are good for it because you can still make an impact. You basically just need to play a bunch of games and get a feel for the flow of everything. If you don't want to play support forever then you need to put in the time on your own and play the mid/carry roles until you have a handful of heroes you are comfortable with.

Supports without farm can still impact a game with their abilities. Carries and core roles will fall off and be completely useless if they don't get their farm/items which is what makes them awful for brand new players.

I've gotten my last hit down with some guys

I'd say the hardest things to learn at first is the basics, once you figure out where is what, what things do, and all the controls/shops and whatever, it becomes a lot easier. i remember when i first started I had no idea what to do and when. you really do have to do the tutorials a lot or have a lot of hand holding

i still don't know how to stack and pull or whatever the fuck that shit is

Sokantish

The shop is too confusing in DOTA. Then you get yelled at for buying stuff from the guide that people told you to follow! It's crazy

BigAT

I agree with this, at least with regards to only learning supports. Expanding your hero pool really helps with understanding how other heroes work and will help in knowing how to properly deal with them when they are on the opposing team.

CB3

He can play carry, but he has to go seek that out on his own. Even when FMT is in our group i see high 4k/low 5k MMR players against us. Its hard enough to play support against those guys at that level, let alone a core role.

If this scrub team works out, it would be the perfect time for him to be able to learn how to play a carry or mid. Atleast, hypothetically. Im pretty sure he's ignored every guide/youtube video ive ever sent him.

I agree with this, at least with regards to only learning supports. Expanding your hero pool really helps with understanding how other heroes work and will help in knowing how to properly deal with them when they are on the opposing team.

The problem with FMT is he never plays alone and there's no way you guys will let him learn how to last hit on your time. My assumption, anyway.

BigAT

The problem with FMT is he never plays alone and there's no way you guys will let him learn how to last hit on your time. My assumption, anyway.

He can play carry, but he has to go seek that out on his own. Even when FMT is in our group i see high 4k/low 5k MMR players against us. Its hard enough to play support against those guys at that level, let alone a core role.

If this scrub team works out, it would be the perfect time for him to be able to learn how to play a carry or mid. Atleast, hypothetically. Im pretty sure he's ignored every guide/youtube video ive ever sent him.

At some point it's detrimental for really low level players to play with us. When I picked up the game I wasn't playing and attempting to learn against players that were 2K+ MMR better than I was. You should do a lot of learning against players of a similar skill level.

Somnia

This is why I want to play with a newer team so I can try branching out from just supports. I don't see myself being a hard carry, but I'd like to learn more than just support.

Somnia

At some point it's detrimental for really low level players to play with us. When I picked up the game I wasn't playing and attempting to learn against players that were 2K+ MMR better than I was. You should do a lot of learning against players of a similar skill level.

Ya I'll join you guys when you invite me or need someone, but I'm going to try to do more solo queueing with my level range and play with these guys if theyre serious. I'll play with you guys just because I want to play with friends, even if I can't hang with that MMR range.

eznark

Banned
Everyone should grow a pair and solo every now and then. Just mute everyone if you are concerned about your delicate sensibilities.

Trasher

Basically you just need to find a hero pool you enjoy. Maybe pick a handful of heroes that you know you want to play and that you think you would enjoy playing. Because the game is only going to be fun if you are enjoying the hero you are using. Then just do your best to learn the proper builds for them so you are comfortable with their abilities and what items to pick up on them. If you find you have a decent knack at playing one of them, keep them in your hero rotation. If not, try something new.

Top Bottom