• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '16 PS4 Online league thread #2: Blink Daggers and Backflips

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I mean, I can definitely understand rule changes or something else taking some convincing but ease of scheduling games is fundamentally important to this league. It makes things easier for all parties involved. I just don't see why there would be pushback on that from anyone at all.

I mean, I agree. There are a bunch of reasons why that didnt happen the way I wanted it to and its probably not worth getting into specifics this far into Madden 16's remaining lifespan other than i had a guideline for a system to prevent scheduling issues that didnt pan out because reasons. They arent necessarily good reasons, but I suppose I understand some of them, atleast. Thats a bad answer but its what ive got right now

I think starting fresh on next years game will be a better time to address eveything and get started on the right foot. Right now im just trying to hold things together for one more year. Although ive made a bit of a 180 on my stance on going forward with another year. I was pretty adamant about playing atleast one more season but alot of things that have happened this season have made me think we should just end it after this one is over.

Ferny

We get to the point in the league cycle where we have no backups left. So we either kick someone out and let the cup play or we don't. I'd rather have a dm who plays 3/4ths of his games vs a cup team. But it is annoying that people schedule then don't show up so I'm not sure if he will be in the league in madden 17

Don't get me wrong, I am not even saying kick a person out because he is hard to schedule with or whatever (that falls on the powers that be), my gripe is more, if you are able to post in other threads on GAF multiple times a day, on a daily basis, then you should be able to slide a quick post in here saying... "Oh, it's advance time? I'm available XYZ."

Just in my opinion, if you came into this thread to post that you are interested in a team, you should be required to post at the very least when you are available on advances. No "hey go find this person on Steam, Yahoo Messenger, ICQ, and PO Box" Unless they are banned that's different.

I mean, I agree. There are a bunch of reasons why that didnt happen the way I wanted it to that are probably not worth getting into at this point into Madden 16's remaining lifespan. They arent necessarily good reasons, but I suppose I understand some of them, atleast.

Yeah I can understand that. I won't continue to beat a dead horse on this, but Wellie saying what he did kind of put a big light on how frustrating that stuff can be.

Paragon > Dota

Splat

This simply isn't the case, or you are passing really terribly. The recovery for back 7 defenders isn't nearly as good as it used to be in previous years.

This is nonsense. The amount of times you "jump" to penalties called ratio is 10%, maybe. There have also been plenty of times where jumping incidentally ends up being beneficial in that your defender has speed/momentum built up from the adjustment or the offensive line AI just breaks because you're a standing defender and there is an easy gap for you to cut through. Regardless, the risk is still absurdly lower to the point that it doesn't even warrant comparison to the risk that comes with playing LB or DB.

That's because in the earlier seasons you got me on a ton of jumps, so I've gotten pretty good at getting back behind the LOS before you actually snap the ball. It generally has me going backwards at the snap though, and not able to generate any rush. If I touch and OL it's called, and if I don't get back in time it's called.

Trasher

My team is such a hot mess this year since all the drafts have been planned on days I can't attend, and the same for re-signing some players as well. Not sure if I really wanna do one more season. If Megatron retires that might be the nail in the coffin. If he stays, maybe I'll enjoy chucking the ball to him 30 times a game one last time. :(

I kinda want to do another year because I'm not ready to say goodbye to Kenny yet

We all should just be inviting and accepting of players of all types

LJ11

Hate how we bag on DL users, I used to be a damn good DT player, destroyed dudes that one year I went all the way, I was 3-4 by the end of that year but my 4-3 under was filthy. Once held CB to -17 yards passing all because of my DT play, he couldn't do a thing. Closest to being broken that I've seen.

The problem with Madden is that a user controlled players tends to impact that position. Seems to me, that when you play DL and play well, the other DL start shedding blocks too. It's the same shit in the secondary, ballhawk triggers the other DBs and LBs. They need to get rid of all the assits, dump this garbage out the window. It's easier than ever to play MLB, though I'd argue last year was even easier because the timing/window and animations were beastly. I don't think I'm a skilled MLB user, I think I guess right often. Don't fucking strafe with the LB either its a waste of time.

Totally unrelated but man ever since the 360 days I can't switch off/on defenders like I did in the PS2/Xbox days, just not the same.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Unless there is an error, yes. He recorded 1 vs Splat, 2 vs Wellie, and 4 in two games vs Az.

Also:

Bengals Carlos Dunlap (LE) + Justin Randall (DT) = 32
Raiders Von Miller (LOLB) + Khalil Mack (RE) = 27
Falcons Derwyn Clark (RE) + Vic Beasley Jr (LE) = 25
Cardinals Calais Campbell(LE) + DeMarcus Lawrence (ROLB) = 19
Rams Lawrence Zachary (LE) + Robert Quinn (RE) = 18

The top pass rushing duo, Dunlap and Randall alone had more sacks than 19 teams. Of the top 25 individual players in sacks recorded only 4 are defensive tackles, 2 of them play for the Bengals. The other two are Aaron Donald (Rams) and Steve McClendon (Pittsburgh). All the rest are defensive ends or outside line backers. Although I used Michael Benett as a DT in a lot of pass rushing scenarios and I'm sure other people have formations where DEs line up at DT so its hard to know for sure how often DTs or people lined up at DT get to the QB but it is obviously lower than edge rushers. That being said only 4 listed DTs landed in the top 40 of sacks in real life, so this feels pretty realistic.

Fucking LOL my OL is a fucking joke. Kill yourselves you virtual fucks.

Linebacker/DB play (at the highest level) is about exploiting the opposing player. I may make it look real easy but trust me when I say its very difficult. Its a combination of knowledge on how each games defense works every year, the playbook a person is using, the person themselves, the personnel on the team, calculated risks, and 10 years of working hard in this league to do it the best that I can. Im not saying that playing a great DE or DT is easy, but there is a big difference in what you are going up against on any given play and the risks involved.

When I play user MLB vs wellington, thats 10 years of knowledge and work in going up against him. Thats very different than wiggling R3 at his Right Tackle for 10 years.

CB/Well OvD is easily the best meta in the league. Like he said it's 10 years of him knowing the routes I like and me trying to get him out of position on running plays.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Team Sack Totals

Bengals 21 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 9 + 11 + 6 = 50
Falcons 5 + 5 + 1 + 4 + 15 + 1 + 10 + 1 + 1 = 43*
Cardinals 3 + 8 + 2 + 9 + 10 + 7 + 2 + 2 = 43
Rams 4 + 1 + 5 + 2 + 9 + 8 + 9 + 1 + 1 = 40
Raiders 10 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 17 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 39
Patriots 4 + 1 + 7 + 7 + 8 + 8 + 1 + 1 = 37
Bills 1 + 1 + 4 + 4 + 3 + 6 + 8 + 1 + 6 + 3 = 37
Jets 1 + 3 + 5 + 3 + 7 + 10 + 6 = 35
Cowboys 1 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 7 + 6 + 5 + 9 = 34
Chiefs 1 + 1 + 7 + 1 + 1 + 8 + 1 + 1 + 5 + 5 + 2 = 33
Dolphins 3 + 1 + 1 + 7 + 8 + 4 + 1 + 4 + 4 = 33
Stealers 1 + 2 + 6 + 2 + 8 + 7 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 32
Bears 14 + 7 + 6 + 1 + 3 + 1 = 32
Colts 1 + 4 + 3 + 1 + 4 + 11 + 6 + 1 = 31
Jaguars 1 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 4 + 1 + 1 + 6 + 3 + 7 + 1 = 30*
Seahawks 3 + 1 + 4 + 7 + 8 + 5 + 1 = 29
Packers 4 + 1 + 4 + 11 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 26
Panthers 1 + 6 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 2 + 1 = 25
Chargers 1 + 9 + 1 + 6 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 2 = 25
Titans 5 + 1 + 1 + 8 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 2 = 24
Texans 1 + 2 + 7 + 1 + 4 + 1 + 3 + 4 = 23*
Racists 1 + 4 + 2 + 4 + 3 + 8 + 1 = 23
Eagles 1 + 6 + 4 + 7 + 5 = 23
Giants 1 + 1 + 3 + 6 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 20
49ers 1 + 8 + 4 + 3 + 3 + 1 = 20
Browns 2 + 1 + 3 + 4 + 6 + 2 + 1 = 19*
Saints 3 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 4 + 1 + 3 + 3 = 19*
Vikings 6 + 4 + 4 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 18
Broncos 1 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 3 + 2 = 16
Lions 3 + 6 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 14
Ravens 1 + 3 + 1 + 6 + 2 + 1 = 14
Buccaneers 1 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 7*

* = still has 1 game to play

The Cardinals are the only team in the top 5 listed as a 3-4 defense on the Daddy League site.

The AFC East has the 6th, 7th, 8th and 11th best teams in terms of sacks. In terms of total yardage these teams rank 7th, 14th, 16th and 26th. In terms of points they rank 9th, 13th, 19th, and 26th.

5 of the top 10 teams in sacks generated will likely not be in the playoffs.

At least 4 of the bottom 10 teams in sacks will be in the playoffs, 5 are possible.

(Actually I just looked at this, there's 3 teams tied at 23 and 2 tied at 33 so these numbers are slightly off I guess, but the point largely remains that there is no strong correlation between sacks and a playoff spot)

The league average is about 28 team sacks. 16 teams recorded below this mark. Right now 4 of those 16 teams are in line for playoff spots, so I guess having at least an average amount of sacks increases your odds to make the playoffs!

Also I included the individual counts for each team so you can see the distribution. 3 of the top 5 teams had a guy with 15+ sacks and two guys with double digit sacks. The other two teams (Cardinals and Rams) were more balanced and had a bunch of guys around 8 or 9 sacks.

It's insane how my really good DL just can't get anything done. Worse is that I CONSTANTLY blitzed and have 1 sack a piece for the LBs that are constantly on the field. I have 3 sacks from my nickel CB! My entire defense just didn't generate any numbers this season.

It wasn't common games, so it must have been strength of victory, even though I had Saints winning out on that one a few weeks ago in my calculations.

EDIT: Re-did everything, I missed the one important rule

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Here is how it went down.

We go into three head tiebreaker all the way till SoV.

Saints have 1.17, Cowboys have 1.05, Bears have ~.90

I get eliminated from the tiebreaker and they go back to a two way tiebreaker format, where H2H is the first step. Cowboys beat the Saints in H2H in the season, so Cowboys get the spot. Saints had better SoV, but I spoiled the tiebreaker and forced the reset to H2H

LukeSmith

RE: Dline play

I hope the day we ban Dline play, we ban clicking on to other defensive players after the ball has been released, and a whole bunch of other things that are just "playing the game."

If someone is risk averse and plays line that's fine with me. You can absolutely crush them in the pass game.

Safety and LB have much higher skill ceilings for sure, but in the same way we haven't seen anyone like Soka's 17 INTs with Brandon Marshall, we haven't seen anyone as destructive on the Dline this year as Splat (not quite 36 shades of Wellington or however the fuck many sacks he had with Dunlap on the Bengals that season).

No one complains when I play Dline because I'm garbage and not disruptive like Splat? Maybe because I switch around to other positions? I dunno.

Also, so it's not just me defending Splat:
play count is much lower in our games vs. the NFL which is why the actual stats to compare would be sack rates per play, not total sacks. (Brees IRL 627 pass attempts this year, 559 for Somnia's Silva led the league -- Rodgers was 3rd at 472 attempts)

I'd bet the sack rates are much higher in our league.

DJ Bowser

Your user d-line play was effective. I went into out game planning to beat you via running because of your fast secondary. After two runs went for no gain or loss (mostly due to user d-line) I abandoned it).

It wasn't cheesy, but it was effective.

Edit: DCX could you play at all tonight?

I just got back from the Panthers game. Row 9 right behind the net and the guy sitting next to me makes eye contact with Jagr, and does this hand signal thing while mouthing something to him. Jagr does some kind of hand gesture, mouths something, then gives the guy a thumbs up. I turn to the guy and ask, "What was that? ..... How do you know Jagr?". Apparently I just hung out and watched a game with Jaromir Jagr's agent. Idc that we lost one bit, talking hockey with that guy was awesome.

Also saw the great sign Ive seen in quite some time.
"I keep trying to record The Biggest Loser on my DVR but all it does is tape the Maple Leafs games"

Top Bottom