• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '16 PS4 Online league thread #2: Blink Daggers and Backflips

I just don't want Alston on Tim Jennings.

It's all I ask!

I've already told you that different formations put WR's in different spots out wide, you know madden doesn't move the CB's in relation to the WR depth chart, the only way to rectify this is to flip the play either before, which you obviously would need to guess, or to flip when you look and see where the receivers are.

I've already said, White is in slot and will remain in slot (with his whopping 22 receptions), your top 2 CB's will have no issue covering Royal/Butler and Jeffery with the stats I just looked up

DJ Bowser

206636171_0021c26a2e_m.jpg
Says the guy who used one play repeatedly against Greg that when googled showed up as a "money play". Come on.

DJ Bowser

Sure dez is the #1. Who is your 2nd best wr? If it's Williams I would assume he'd have put up some awesome numbers this year!
Whoever I put in the slot will put up great numbers based on the route combos I like. Since McKay is my 3rd OVR and was already there- with the success I've had, why would I change it?

Whoever I put in the slot will put up great numbers based on the route combos I like. Since McKay is my 3rd OVR and was already there- with the success I've had, why would I change it?

I 1000%... nay, one million percent guarantee mcvays #'s drop drastically outside and Williams new #'s don't pick up the slack. I mean whatever but don't play it off like welp my #3 ovr wr is 3rd best on my team that's why he's in the slot!

LukeSmith

some simple truths:
  • the number 1 wide receiver on any team is the guy who has the best stats.
  • anyone playing in this league trying to pad their stats or lead the league in X should just go play offline against the CPU.
  • trying to lead the league or caring about stats vs the league is the path to the dark side.

DJ Bowser

I 1000%... nay, one million percent guarantee mcvays #'s drop drastically outside and Williams new #'s don't pick up the slack. I mean whatever but don't play it off like welp my #3 ovr wr is 3rd best on my team that's why he's in the slot!
I wish there were actually something we could wager, though we would have to define drastically. There are some great routes that only the outside WRs get to run.

I throw to the open guy. If no one's open, I go to my crutch. I didn't bray about stats until people called me cheesy for having them.

I wish there were actually something we could wager, though we would have to define drastically. There are some great routes that only the outside WRs get to run.

I throw to the open guy. If no one's open, I go to my crutch. I didn't bray about stats until people called me cheesy for having them.

I only brought it up because you said hey my 3rd OVR rated wr is 3rd on the depth chart! I'd have to be some kind of idiot to promote a guy who is objectively worse! Nothing to see here!

I don't care about the dozens of superspeed WRs out there. Hell, I have maybe the most overrated player in the league knile davis! But just be honest!

DJ Bowser

I just resent the idea of being called a cheeser because my passing offense is prolific which has a lot to do with a stacked roster.

I try not to do anything exploitative or cheap and (believe it or not) actually do care about the person I'm playing enjoying themselves. Not just in Madden but in any game I play.

I've also had a lot of wine tonight (second succesful wine dinner I've hosted!) so don't mind all these mixed up emotions!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Just a tip for some of the new guys. Slot cheese isnt a new thing. Thats been a thing for years. Like, no one is getting fooled here.

Im not gonna start making rules about when and where to put your guys. But lets drop the facade.

I just resent the idea of being called a cheeser because my passing offense is prolific which has a lot to do with a stacked roster.

I try not to do anything exploitative or cheap and (believe it or not) actually do care about the person I'm playing enjoying themselves. Not just in Madden but in any game I play.

I've also had a lot of wine tonight (second succesful wine dinner I've hosted!) so don't mind all these mixed up emotions!

I can't imagine what you feel for being called out because you have a receiver have lots of yards

No idea what so ever

I never called you cheesy tho. You have the best QB in the game and the best OL in the game. Numbers are going to be there. Just thought it was funny that you justify having your clearly 2nd best WR at #3 because his "ovr is lower"

DJ Bowser

Just a tip for some of the new guys. Slot cheese isnt a new thing. Thats been a thing for years. Like, no one is getting fooled here.

Im not gonna start making rules about when and where to put your guys. But lets drop the facade.

It's a thing in real life too.

SIM.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I missed the dota patch earlier.

Aether Lens now has a 550 gold recipe instead of a Cloak (no longer grants Magic Resistance)

RIP Aether Lens

Its actually still pretty good.

LukeSmith

I was inspired.

Inside the Numbers:
How Bout 'Dem Cowboys

2017 Season
67% Pass/33% Run Ratio

Usage:
  • 29% Tyronne McKay
  • 29% to Running Backs (Michael Injury means I consolidated the usage)
  • 18% Dez Bryant
  • 12% Josh Hill Tight End
  • 11% Terrance Williams

2016 Season

68% Pass/32% Run Ratio

Usage
  • 29% McKay
  • 29% Christine Michael
  • 21% Bryant
  • 11% Terrance Williams
  • 8% Tight End Dwayne Bowe

The Pre-McKay Era
2015 Season

64% Pass / 36% Run

Usage
  • 29% Dez Bryant
  • 19% Jason Witten
  • 22% Christine Michael
  • 7% Terrance Williams
  • 9% Cole Beasley

Highest Usage top receiver per team league wide:

"LOL Vision Cone"
Falcons - Julio Jones 38%
Dolphins - Jordan Cameron 33%
Steelers - Antonio Brown 32%
Giants - Larry Donnel 30%
Bucs - Mike Evans 30%

"But, he's My THIRD best receiver"
Cowboys - Tyronne McKay 29%
Panthers - Kelvin Benjamin 29%
Lions - Calvin Johnson 29%
Cardinals - Kenny Motes/Jarrick Barkley [tie] 28% each (AKA 56% of completions go to one of these two guys!)
Bears - Eddie Lacy 28%
Broncos - Virgil Green 27%
Chargers - Keenan Allen 27%
Redskins - Niles Paul 26%
Saints - Mark Ingram 26%
Bills - Sammy Watkins 25%
Jets - Brandon Marshall 25%

"Balanced? Maybe"
Niners - Knile Davis 24%
Jaguars - Denard Robinson 24%
Packers - Jordy Nelson 23%
Colts - Coby Fleener 23%
Patriots - Ace Lucas 22%
Chiefs - Travis Kelce 22%
Rams - Jared Cook 22%
Bengals - AJ Green/Tyler Eiffert [tie] 22%
Browns - Malcolm Lauderdale 22%
Eagles - DeMarco Murray 22%
Raiders - Zach McDonald 21%
Seahawks - Jimmy Graham 21%
Titans - Dorial Green-Beckham/Jason Witten [tie] 21%

"Probably Injury Plagued"
Texans - DeAndre Hopkins 17%
Vikings - Kyle Rudolph/Aaron Dobson [tie] 16%

I generally try to balance out who I throw to. I got curious so I ran the numbers:

Season 1
Jimmy Graham 47 752 23.9%
Jermaine Kearse 50 867 25.4%
Doug Baldwin 37 501 18.8%
Chris Matthews 26 408 13.2%
Luke Willson 3 43 2%
Paul Richardson 0 0 0%
Tyler Lockett 6 42 3%
Unknown (probably RB/FB) 28 14.2%

Season 2
Jimmy Graham 50 825 24.9%
Jermaine Kearse 44 540 21.9%
Doug Baldwin 33 469 16.4%
Paul Richardson 20 415 9.9%
Luke Willson 14 279 6.9%
Tyler Lockett 5 33 2.5%
Brandon Gibson 1 10 .5%
Unknown (probably RB/FB) 34 16.9%

Season 3
Jimmy Graham 25 307 20.8%
Marshawn Lynch 21 266 17.5%
Jermaine Kearse 16 240 13.3%
Devante Parker 15 228 12.5%
Doug Baldwin 12 227 10%
Luke Willson 11 222 9.2%
Derrick Coleman 8 92 6.7%
Paul Richardson 7 79 5.8%
Tyler Lockett 3 19 2.5%
Keon Jamison 2 46 1.7%
Total RB/FB: 32 404 26.6%

Seems I've thrown to the RB a lot more this season, I guess that comes from a couple things. Time to make Marshawn into a FB.

Dolphins - Jordan Cameron 33%

Minor nitpick but he's caught 31.35% of the Dolphins completed passes. Logan Thomas has 7 completions! 37/118!

One thing I do wonder, is it an issue with the game or just lingering PTSD from the old days where throwing to outside receivers was essentially impossible, that causes RBs, TEs and Slot WR to be the main targets on most teams, or are well all just captain check down?

I know there are certain routes that I'm scared to throw because in old Madden's they were impossible or because I know the best user defenders will just pick them off.

One thing I do wonder, is it an issue with the game or just lingering PTSD from the old days where throwing to outside receivers was essentially impossible, that causes RBs, TEs and Slot WR to be the main targets on most teams, or are well all just captain check down?

I know there are certain routes that I'm scared to throw because in old Madden's they were impossible or because I know the best user defenders will just pick them off.

Yeah I havent called a comeback in ages. I run outs and shit all the time tho.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I think that the routes/route combos that were strengthened last year and into this year have increased the relative strength of the slot receiver.

Further, one of the best ways to beat cover 3, the predominant defense in the league, is a fly route in the slot to get between the two deep defenders on whatever side and the underneath LB or hook zone safety.

Lastly, you can't just match your #1 CB in the slot against the best WR, I will use my guy as an example. DRC in the slot got abused by McKay, like legit he wasn't even close to him at all whatsoever. Last night against Demaryius Thomas, he was a beast, 2 picks - one returned for a TD. I didn't do anything differently other than move him inside against McKay.

DCX

DCX
Stats are just stats. McKay's stats are otherworldly. I wish I could play the Cowboys!

Maybe I'd get my revenge in the playoffs if I make it!

DCX

BigAT

This is certainly me with out routes. I'm petrified to even attempt to throw them because in the past not only did they have a fairly high interception rate, but every INT that was generated from them was basically guaranteed to be a pick 6.

eznark

Banned
This is certainly me with out routes. I'm petrified to even attempt to throw them because in the past not only did they have a fairly high interception rate, but every INT that was generated from them was basically guaranteed to be a pick 6.

brentech

Where a WR plays is the absolute least of any concerns when throwing to a WR on a HB screen is happening. That's simply not a thing in football, and it serves no place in this league.
But yea, lets complain about a receiver playing in the slot like that never happens.

eznark

Banned
Wait, who the fuck is putting a wide out in for HB screens and why aren't they booted?

Also I had no idea I was throwing so much to my HB. I think that's a result of my receivers and line being garbo. Certainly not an intentional ploy. I honestly would have guessed no one was over 20%.

BigAT

Where a WR plays is the absolute least of any concerns when throwing to a WR on a HB screen is happening. That's simply not a thing in football, and it serves no place in this league.
But yea, lets complain about a receiver playing in the slot like that never happens.

They can both be bullshit.

Certainly in agreement with you though. Knock that shit off DCX.

eznark

Banned
Oh, the Teflon Dom.

Yeah, I guess if I had cheated as ludicrously and egregiously as DCX and gotten away with it I'd have zero qualms breaking out on-field cheese as often as possible.

Wait, who the fuck is putting a wide out in for HB screens and why aren't they booted?

Also I had no idea I was throwing so much to my HB. I think that's a result of my receivers and line being garbo. Certainly not an intentional ploy. I honestly would have guessed no one was over 20%.

He doesn't put the WR in for the HB on screens. He runs a screen play and then throws to Julio running a crossing route or some shit. Which is always wide open because the defensive AI tries to stop the screen.

eznark

Banned
He doesn't put the WR in for the HB on screens. He runs a screen play and then throws to Julio running a crossing route or some shit. Which is always wide open because the defensive AI tries to stop the screen.

Oh. I do that too if it comes open. It doesn't always for me though. Guess I don't know the money formation. Also my line barely ever gives me enough time to complete the screen much less make two reads.

DCX

DCX
Oh. I do that too if it comes open. It doesn't always for me though. Guess I don't know the money formation. Also my line barely ever gives me enough time to complete the screen much less make two reads.
It's never Julio, its the TE. And that was Season 1 and early season 2. I used to use that screen play when man was called and it was a simple two read play. If someone usered a LB to blow up the screen becuase the offensive line is brain dead ( three lineman in space only one defender in front but the user LB always sneaks behind to make the play ) I would throw to the TE is is making a semi slant/drag route. It never gained more than ten yards but it was a way to make the user LB play honest and mitigate the stupid oline AI.

I haven't used that in ages. Also not shocked Az would come in here and chime in. Must love how my name tastes.

DCX

eznark

Banned
It's never Julio, its the TE. And that was Season 1 and early season 2. I used to use that screen play when man was called and it was a simple two read play. If someone usered a LB to blow up the screen becuase the offensive line is brain dead ( three lineman in space only one defender in front but the user LB always sneaks behind to make the play ) I would throw to the TE is is making a semi slant/drag route. It never gained more than ten yards but it was a way to make the user LB play honest and mitigate the stupid oline AI.

I haven't used that in ages. Also not shocked Az would come in here and chime in. Must love how my name tastes.

DCX

It was cheesy as fuck in the past two Madden's, but this year since you can't hot route screens it seems a lot less broken. Although it seems you found a way!

Greg

there should be a throw the ball away at the feet of the screen target button because what else are you supposed to do if the play gets blown up? I think I've only had time once on a blown screen to dump it off to someone else though

comebacks are awful this year with all CBs recovering easily and WR breaks being so unpredictable... why can't I throw back shoulder/sideline to make sure the DB never has a chance on the ball?
deep outs
(all deep routes)
I rarely have enough time to develop
quick outs you either have a window immediately but your QB can't fucking let go of the ball when you press the button, or a second window that you can't rely on your QB to throw far enough in front of the target

I'm more scared to throw in the middle this year though

DCX

DCX
While I will agree it doesn't happen often in football but as FMT pointed out a week or so ago when the Vikings were playing their playoff game, Teddy Bridgewater threw to a WR while the play called was a HB screen. So I guess it happens.

It's a risk, if I read the play wrong and a zone is called I wouldn't have enough time to go back to the HB and the dline would crush Ryan. At times I made the right read and still got crushed by the dline. I have gotten intercepted running read two and every time it went for six.

Like most things, its a gamble. I just hate how much a user LB will 80-90% blow up a perfectly called screen with two-three blockers in front and the two closest to the LB coming through totally ignore him.

Oh well.too bad we can't audible offensive line assignments :/

DCX

DCX

DCX
It was cheesy as fuck in the past two Madden's, but this year since you can't hot route screens it seems a lot less broken. Although it seems you found a way!
And yet you said you do this as well!

Either way, check the tapes. I haven't done this since early season two and yet my win output is on track.

DCX

DCX

I didn't even bring it up! I was clarifying for eznark.

brentech

I've only seen the play carry out 4-5 times, but I haven't seen the throw to the WR be stopped a single time.
I really don't give a shit about reasonings, that's some straight madden school shit if there ever was.

I'm all for people doing their thing at this point, but that shit is fucked up and goes against the reason we are all in this league to begin with.

EAD

eznark

Banned
It's a pretty common check on most screen plays. Not sure how it's Madden School? It doesn't require a formation flip, two hot routes and a RB in motion. If the guy is that wide open it probably means it was a user controller linebacker who committed to a screen.

And yet you said you do this as well!

Either way, check the tapes. I haven't done this since early season two and yet my win output is on track.

DCX

I look for it, first read every time. What else do you do for that second when you are dropping back? It's almost never open this year. Plus the "feet aren't set" throw modifier punishes the fuck out of that play, at least for Brees.

brentech

Because it's a logic breaking play. Not all of the defenders hang onto their receivers or zones when the screen starts to develop.

DCX

DCX
I've only seen the play carry out 4-5 times, but I haven't seen the throw to the WR be stopped a single time.
I really don't give a shit about reasonings, that's some straight madden school shit if there ever was.

I'm all for people doing their thing at this point, but that shit is fucked up and goes against the reason we are all in this league to begin with.

EAD
It's not Madden School fucko, its having at least two possible outcomes and every play you run. Some play have built in combos , some plays you have to find keys based on what you opponent is doing. If I run a power right and notice the overload my second "read" is to cut back. Is that Madden School?? Fuck outta here.

Like Ez said, and I rarely agree with the fuck, but its football and common to have multiple reads. In football you can tell your RT to swing out wider, or keep tight and an eye on the weak side LB play. In Madden all I have is slides which do fuck all. The defense can hot route the DE to spy, to play man and follow the HB or even flat zone to blow a screen and occupy the shit oline AI and that LB will get back untouched.

Yea..Madden School. EABOD

DCX

eznark

Banned
Because it's a logic breaking play. Not all of the defenders hang onto their receivers or zones when the screen starts to develop.

I haven't seen it be an AI issue this year. Maybe it is and I don't notice because I stink. My screen read is basically "is user controlling LB?" if yes, throw crossing route.

Show me the receipts.

Ferny

I don't run many screens, but I damn sure make throws to WRs that may be open down field. Like Ez said, sometimes its because whoever is controlling the LB just committed to the RB.

there should be a throw the ball away at the feet of the screen target button because what else are you supposed to do if the play gets blown up? I think I've only had time once on a blown screen to dump it off to someone else though

comebacks are awful this year with all CBs recovering easily and WR breaks being so unpredictable... why can't I throw back shoulder/sideline to make sure the DB never has a chance on the ball?
deep outs
(all deep routes)
I rarely have enough time to develop
quick outs you either have a window immediately but your QB can't fucking let go of the ball when you press the button, or a second window that you can't rely on your QB to throw far enough in front of the target

I'm more scared to throw in the middle this year though

The game doesn't call intentional grounding so just chuck it oob

Smokey

Everything is logic breaking. AT logic broke the fuck outta Verts before EA "patched" it. Even with the patch, the practice of Vertology has taken over. Maybe it's because we can't change audibles, I dunno.

Madden School has gotten so much free advertising out of this league btw.

eznark

Banned
I'm a little confused about your complaint Brentech. Is it a logic breaking play in all instances, or is it a player awareness issue, a la play action?

If it's a logic breaking play it should be pretty repeatable. Fire up a gif, brosepheny.

Top Bottom